New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Evil Dead - Versus the World [CONTENT WARNING]

Jeff
    Jeff, with his fingers on Ed's pulse, sighs and looks at Tom. "He's with us for now, but not by a lot. We should get him inside."

Crouching by Ed, Jeff shines the light on the floor, and looks over in Jane's direction. "How you doing over there, Jane? Feeling a little freaked out? I..." suddenly Jeff seems to realize something, and he pulls the ipod out of his pocket that he got from the unconscious kid earlier tonight. He stands, takes half a step toward the woman with the chain, and holds it out to her.
    "Hey, I know you're probably feeling a little freaked out. Maybe listen to this and calm down a little? It's too much speed rock for me."

Looking from Skunk to Jack to Tom, Jeff nods. With Jack disabled and able to do little more than give commands, and suddenly giving good ones on top of that, Jeff points to the door into the store. "Jack is right. We need meds. For Ed, for him, and for anyone else hit by the goop when that thing exploded. Let's get through that door, and get some ammo, medication, and a place to chill the hell out.

"This other guy,"
    Jeff looks at the punker, trying to remember his name. Spud? Skud? "Is right, too. They're probably not going to be happy to see us. So I don't want anyone waving weapons or looking dangerous once we get in there. Put on your happy bunny faces, and let's see if they'll let us in."
    Last edited by Logain; 2007-04-13 at 04:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Skunk

"Hey, your call if you wanna do it that way, but it ain't gonna be my happy-bunny face that gets shot off. Remember who we're dealin' with and the situation they think they're in. It'll be like talkin' to a bunch of cornered wolverines."

Skunk idly kicks at a stray roll of packing tape that foolishly settled within reach after the skirmish, sending it skidding into the goop.

"While you guys hash out what sorta champagne you'd like to bribe them with, I'm going to poke around in here. This is a stock room, after all. There might even be some stuff Jack's lookin' for, as well as other stuff we can use. I, uhhh, don't suppose I could borrow that flashlight, could I?"

His little penlight would obviously be laughed at by all the lady flashlights, so an upgrade would make its day.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    Jeff looks down at his flashlight, and then back to Skunk. "Sure, if you wanna trade, dude. That's cool."

The surfer will exchange lights with the punker, leaving him with a much smaller beam. After trying to make the light brighter, Jeff looks at Skunk "See if you can find lanterns or any sort of flashlights around here- or, hell- even just some fresh batteries."

With the new and improved tiny penlight pointed at the roof to give as much light as possible to everyone, Jeff will wander the walls looking for the door into the store.

(Search Check? Can I use my 17 here?)

4. - Top - End - #544

As Jeff begins to search the walls, he steps past Jack and turns the corner to the left, away from the disgusting goop that was once the gaurd. It should be noted that the face of the creature seems to have cracked and fallen apart much like an eggshell.

After about ten or so steps, Jeff finds a knob on a wooden door, but it is unfortunately locked. He can see with his tiny light, that the room has a large window beside the door, showing a tiny office with a desk.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Halfling in the Playground

Tom

Tom pats Ed reassuringly on the shoulder, as if it will actually do any good. Sighing he stands up and slips his gun back into his belt, not needed at the moment, but there in case the need arises again. He silently curses himself for not bringing any extra bullets, while at his home he had a few boxes spare, Tom never thought that he would actually have to fire the gun, never-mind reload it. A quick mental check told him that he had fired three bullets at the guard, leaving the revolver with another three.

Having little else to do to help out, Tom follows Jeff around the room. As he stops next to the door, a grin spreads across his face. "Ya know, in the confusion and everythin', I forgot I 'ad this..." His hand slips inside his jacket and pulls out a maglite torch. Twisting the end causes a beam to spill out from the hand-held device. While nothing spectacular, it was at least bigger than the penlight Jeff was waving around. "Is it locked? I could try 'an... open it"
    Avatar made and used with permission of Ink.

6. - Top - End - #546

Skunk

Skunk moves to swap flashlights with Jeff. "Thanks, bub. Yep, I'll be on the lookout for pretty much anything we can use."

Once he has the bigger flashlight in his hand, he reflexively switches it on and off a couple times for no apparent reason. Why people do that is beyond any universal logic, but yet it happens. "Okay, let's see if we can't find anything. My first priority is an Apache attack chopper, but I'll settle for less."

With realistic goals set forth, Skunk begins scrutinizing any box labels he sees, casting the light about in front, around, to the sides, above, below, and inside anyplace large enough to hold a demon mouse--just in case--before setting attention to the task of opening or moving any boxes around. An eye is also kept out for any side rooms, razor knives or any other tools of the stock-boy's trade that might have been left lying around.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    With Skunk wandering around looking for supplies, and Jane hopefully coming up with a strategy to get inside the place, an idea occurs to Jeff.

Excited, he pats Tom on the shoulder, and switches off the penlight, sliding it back into his pocket. "Dude- yeah. Let's get in here and see if there's a manager's set of keys or anything we can use to get into the store proper."

8. - Top - End - #548

Tom

"Right then.. lets see how this goes.." Not quite sure of how sturdy the door is, or the quality of its lock, Tom assumes the best idea would be to just try and smash through it. Taking a short run up Tom flies shoulder first into the door, grunting as he slams into it, hoping that he would have hit it hard enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check to 'open' door - (1d20+1)[11] Don't know what this will come out as, hopefully something good...

9. - Top - End - #549

Skunk

Hearing the sudden slam elsewhere in the room, Skunk aims his flashlight in the general area. Seeing nothing to explain the sound, he calls out back the way he came, "What was that?"

Not seeing Tom or Jeff where they'd last been, he wasn't sure if they were responsible for the loud noise, or if it was the thing that just ate them crashing through a wall.

10. - Top - End - #550

Tom's shoulder thuds hard into the door, in just the wrong spot. The wind is knocked out of him for a moment, and he is no closer to breaking the door down. He wonders if kicking it would be a better idea...

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack leans back against the wall, his eyes still closed... after a moment, he slides into a sitting position

"I'd come and help you boys... but I don't think I should be moving.. I'm afraid it will make these wounds worse... bastard had to stab me right in the goddamned shoulders, too..."
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2007-04-14 at 11:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552

Before Skunk's attention shifted, he had come across three box cutters, a packing tape gun, a stack of packing tape rolls, and several loose papers of UPC stickers. As he shines the light towards the sound, he can see Tom planted squarely in the door, not really moving for a moment.

13. - Top - End - #553

Tom

"....." The wind knocked right out of him, Tom staggers backwards, unable to speak. Aware that he probably can't knock it down with his shoulder, he lines himself up with the door before planting a heavy kick into it, all of his strength behind it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unarmed Strike Damage - (1d6+5)[7] Full round action spent to get an automatic hit, power attack used to increase the damage by 4.

14. - Top - End - #554

Tom's foot thud's hard into the door, dead on, so as to get the most of his kick. There is a crack heard, but the door is still hinged and shut. It has a slight give now, but it will definitely need more force.

15. - Top - End - #555

Tom

Tom sighs as he again fails to open the door. "They make it look so easy on T.V..." he mutters before slamming into it again, aiming for the same spot as last time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another Attack - (1d6+5)[10]

16. - Top - End - #556

With the force of the second kick, a loud crack is heard, and reverberates throughout the small stock room. Everyone is made aware of the fact that someone is trying to break into something. Much to Tom's chagrin, the door is still latched shut. There is, however, a long crack around the knob, indicating another strong kick would open the door.

17. - Top - End - #557

Tom

"Third times a charm, eh?..." Tom is oblivious to the fact that his noise might be attracting unwanted attention, all he can focus on is getting into the other room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another Another Attack - (1d6+5)[11]

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane

She accepts the profered music player and slides it into her coat pocket, her gestures are almost those of an automaton.

Claws, fangs, blood, ichor, guns, chains. Dead...dead... I'm ok. I'm alive, unhurt. What if there are others like this... She shudders. Wake up and smell the cordite Jane. This is not a nightmare; this is reality. Get your self into gear and keep moving. That's how you stay alive and that's how you'll get to fight another day.

Jane shakes off the ghastly thoughts that had been pleaguing her into inaction and composes herself.

"Ok. People on the other side... We need to get some light in here. Let's find those light switches. That should help us dispell any misgivings that frightened people might have. If they can see us and they can see the dead thing that was the guard...they'll be more likely to believe that we are on their side. Then we'll find the door that leads into the store."

She tucks a loose strand of hair behind her left ear, squares her shoulders and smiles. Her gestures seem incongruous and yet oddly reassuring. Suddenly she seems in control of herself and of her surroundings. She walks towards the door through which they entered and begins to examine the wall for some sort of light switch.

19. - Top - End - #559

Tom's kick finally gives the desired result, breaking the door in, completely away from its lock. It swings wildly open and bounces off the wall, nearly shutting itself again. The lock to the door lays on the ground, surround by a large chunk of said door.

Jane searches the wall in vain, finding nothing useful along the door's edge. However, she remembers that most places keep their lights near the entrance to the store. Given a few minutes, she figures she could find it. She notes the two bloodied people lying against the wall behind her, Jack and Ed, the two curious ones gone, Tom and Jeff, and her and Skunk left to search for things. It is not lost on her that a more opposite couple could not be made of this group, as she seems the least paranoid, and Skunk losing marbles as if there was a hole in the bottom of his bag.

20. - Top - End - #560

Tom

Tom grins as the door finally swings open. "Still got it" he says as he steps inside, shining his torch around the room. "You comin' Jeff? Dunno what we gonna find in 'ere.. Although, I dunno what we lookin' for either, so it'll all be a surprise.." He steps around the room cautiously, not quite sure what he will find in the room, slowly looking around the room for anything of interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]

21. - Top - End - #561
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane sighs and quickly moves to the nearest beam of light (having no means of illumination herself).

"We need to find the door to the store... Can you give me a hand with that?"

Her voice is steady betraying no hint of her recent fear and panic. She still holds onto her makeshift weapon.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    Jeff hears Jane moving around and sticks his head around the corner to check on her. As Tom gives the door a final kick, the sound of the door slamming open and almost closed again covers his words.

He looks over his shoulder in irritation, and holds out his hand to Jane. In it is the penlight that Skunk gave him. "Here, use this to search- Tom has a better one."

After passing off the light to Jane, Jeff returns and joins Tom in searching the manager's office. Suddenly it occours to him that perhaps the manager locked said keys in a safe, but he says nothing, so as not to diminish Tom's sudden hope.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane gives Jeff a beaming smile. "Oh...Even better! Thanks Jeff!"

She takes the penlight and calls upon her S-Mart training in order to try and deduce the direction in which she should be headed. Her face scrunches up cutely when she thinks.
    Last edited by Twilight; 2007-04-16 at 05:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564

Skunk

Skunk watches the Tom and Jeff show for a moment, wincing slightly each time Tom barrels into the resistant door. When he finally kicks it through, he says in a voice low enough to count as a whisper, "I could'a prolly picked that lock, ya doof."

Shrugging, he begins to sift through the odds and ends he's found. "Hmm...box cutters...shveet! As long as we're not gonna board any planes, these'll be nice as backup." He collects the trio of knives and muses to himself how cool it would be to use a tape-gun to smother one of those demon-guards. Nope, too tricky. The tape gun, tape and UPC labels are left as he turns to continue his odyssey.

But before he can make it to another cache of mundanity, he hears Jane's voice. Looking back over his shoulder, he sees her talking to Jeff rather than to him, and turns back to his task. He does bother to call out into the gloom, assuming the rest would hear well enough, "Found some tasty box cutters if anyone wants one. Got three; nice and sharp. Great if we're attacked by demon-boxes, better if we're attacked by rabid grannies." He briefly recalled something that had happened earlier, but the details were sparse and, at least, second-hand. He shrugs the fragmentary memory aside and scans the next row with his new flashlight, trying to recall anything his supervisor might have taught him about how the stock room was supposed to be arranged and managed.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge (stock room details) (1d20+2=12) - yep, didn't pay much attention to the instructional lecture--kinda figgers.

- I have no idea what this sort of info would qualify as.

25. - Top - End - #565

Several minutes pass in the darkness, nearly in silence, save for the panting of the wounded, and the footsteps of the hopeful. Jane busies herself with finding the switch, which she eventually finds, no thanks to Skunk. Skunk himself finds no more useful items, unless pens, paper and a box of paperclips count as useful.

In this time, Tom and Jeff peek through the manager's office, though it is only ten by ten, tops. In the desk drawers Tom finds several pens, and general office equipment. Files line one of the lower drawers, of complete and utter dribble to someone not in the manager's job. Jeff takes to scanning the rest of the room, and sees a file cabinet, unlocked, but filled with files. On top rests a sturdy lockbox that sends a shrill jingle through the emptiness as it is tilted or shook.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff
    Jeff shakes the lock box, a triumphant smile on his face. The jingle jangle sounds jarring after looking for anything in silence. "Oh hell yeah. I think this is it!" Jeff says to Tom, or no one in particular, whoever is listening closer.

Excitedly, Jeff puts the lockbox down on the desk and examines it- it this one a key combination, a code combination, a push-button system? How heavy is the box? What size is it?

27. - Top - End - #567
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane attemps to turn on the lights hoping that there is indeed a generator that will keep this place running. She looks back over her shoulder in the general direction of Skunk.

"Um...I'll take one of those box cutters if you don't mind."

28. - Top - End - #568

With the flick of a switch, and the jingle of metal in a small box, the stock room is suddenly flooded with light from above. It takes several moments for everyone's eyes to adjust, but quickly the light induced headache passes.

The lockbox in Jeff's hands is a simple one that requires a round, hollow key to open. However, it seems feasible enough to be bashed open upon the desk too.

29. - Top - End - #569

Skunk

Blinking profusely for a moment, Skunk has to shade his eyes from the sudden brightness. Below his hand, he says, "Ahhh, much better!" Even though it wasn't much better just yet.

Eyes adjusted, he steps over to where Jane is and hands over two of the box cutters. "Give the other one to Jeff or whoever wants it. I'm going to go and make use of this one," he says as he waves the curved blade of the knife he retained.

With the lights on, he begins to systematically check each cardboard container, reading the expected contents lists as he does, making a mental checklist.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless the stock room is basically empty, I'm gonna check every box still in the room to see what's available. I may not have found much of anything easily in the near dark, but with full lights on, we can be more thorough.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

Jack lays against the wall, bleeding quietly as he stares into the darkness of his own mind... this waiting, it reminds him too much of the long, quiet nights spent staring into the darkness, wondering who - or, more worryingly, what - would come out of the shadow. Still, he controls his fear, breathing slowly, and hoping the others get back soon.