New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Evil Dead - Versus the World [CONTENT WARNING]

Jack

Jack grunts and heaves himself up, using the wall as leverage. He drops the gun gently to the floor, showing his open hands as a sign of peace, smiling a bit whimsically, his head light

Pardon me for interrupting this delightful standoff, but some of us are sort of bleeding to death. Do you think we could resolve this peaceful-like so I can get some medical supplies and dress these wounds?

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

Skunk

Skunk glances vaguely in Jeff's direction, avoiding any chance of taking his eyes off the guy in the doorway.

"I'm not shootin' anyone as long as this guy gets his frickin' hand out of the bag!" The last four words were enunciated slowly, staccato, to provide a verbal underscore.

He gazes intently at the unfamiliar man for a moment, then says directly to him, "No one gets shot if no one does anything stupid. Besides we want the guy that said he could help patch up Jack, and yer not him." A small jerk of the head is offered to indicate the bullet-magnet.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane remains silent but offers Jack a supporting shoulder if he needs it.

4. - Top - End - #664

In the massive building of emotion, tension, and confusion, it is hard to keep attention on any one thing. The burning corpse near the door billows smoke up to the ceiling. Within seconds the sprinklers kick on with a loud thump, sending purifying drops of rain across the back corner of the store.

Slowly, as if an exhalation of a dying breath, Ed's corpse sizzles as the drizzle covers it. A moment later, an emergency bell begins clanking. There is enough distraction with the help of Julian for the survivors to run out of the back room.

Taking refuge within the nearby auto section, you all find a much needed moment of relief. It is rather short lived, however, as a rage-filled scream fills the air, followed by a gunshot from a rifle. Peeking around the corner, Tom sees Julian fall backwards, recoiling from Mark. Slipping back into the aisle, he says, "Looks like the angry one is in charge again. Any one got an idea?"

5. - Top - End - #665
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Helping the struggling Jack to his feet and pulling him through the sprinkler water toward the auto parts section, Jeff lowers the wounded veteran to the ground before joining Tom. Looking over the situation, Jeff asks the big boxer "Wait- did you see if anyone got shot?"

6. - Top - End - #666

Skunk

Squatting behind the dubious safety of a three-deep row of 10W-30 motor oil bottles, Skunk attempts to wipe away the water washing down his face. Where a typical woman would be looking like Tammy Faye in a washing machine, Skunk's mascara-like rims stay fast, as they likely will until the day he dies.

He fiddles with his pistol, ensuring it isn't getting waterlogged, then says, "Maybe one of them is a pod, after all, y'think? Probably just that Acid guy flipping out or something, though. If someone popped him, we'd all be a lot safer."

With those helpful remarks, Skunk turns and scurries like a leather-clad crab to the opposite end of the aisle, away from the commotion, to get the lay of the land. Now that they'd managed to get out of the back room, and ironically--given the drenching--from the frying pan into the fire, the opportunity to find an actual relatively safe place to hole up somehow seemed a micrometer closer than before.

7. - Top - End - #667

Jeff inches up to Tom whom is keeping an eye on the screaming people. "Yeah... looks like the one that was stickin' up fer us got it in the gut. They're gettin' all antsy now... I don't think we got long, man," he says in a hushed tone. Again, his fingers slip around the cold pistol tucked in his waistband. Jack leans against the rack of wiper blades, clutching at his shoulders. He's losing blood quickly and starting to get pale.

Skunk makes his way to the opposite end of the aisle, trying to get his bearings. The wall before him runs the entire length of the store, and heads either towards or away from the commotion. Straining his neck for a better vantage point, the punker sees overhanging signs dictating what is in each aisle.
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2007-12-13 at 12:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane

Jane looks in the direction of the gunshot and decides to head towards the far less threatening huddle of Jeff, Tom and Skunk.

"Listen, we could try to talk this guy down but he's already proved how irrational he is. It may soon be safer out there than in here despite the fact that most people will listen to reason if we don't bare our teeth." She nibbles at her lower lip pensively.

"We still need those supplies for Jack and for Jeff, right? You are both wounded and that must be dealt with hastily. As eerily tempting as your expedient solution is Skunk, I think that there has already been enough death for one night...I'd be happy if I never had to witness any of this again..." She looks a little defeated. "That won't be happening anytime soon but following the trigger happy path is unlikely to gain us allies.

At least we're inside the store now..."

She looks around and tries to take stock of how many people remain as well as get an idea of what their reactions to the latest shooting has been.

9. - Top - End - #669

Skunk

Talking back over his shoulder, Skunk says, "I wasn't actually suggesting we do the popping, just that if someone did it, we'd be better off. As for gaining allies, if that guy's heavy finger isn't clipped, there might not be any potential allies left to worry about."

His mouth might have been angled elsewhere, but his eyes were still dodging between obscuring droplets. Cold foods...nope, not hungry, and a box of cottage cheese isn't likely to frighten off a would-be whacko. Well, unless it was the kind he usually found in his own fridge, complete with Troll doll-like hair.

The other direction, though, looked more promising. Disregarding the movie and camera sections (though a snapshot or two of some of the things he'd seen lately would be cool--file that thought for later), the tools department made his hackles tingle. Chainsaws...yeah...maybe, but we'd need gas or a charge-pack. Take a while to find either, probably. Pistols work better, anyway at least until the click-click-click starts.

He shrugged. No sign of a pharmacy or similar, and neither side actually seemd more likely to be close to one than the other. It seemed an educated guess was in order.

"I'm going to go see if I can scare up the pharmacy. Be right back."

10. - Top - End - #670
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff sucks air in through his teeth. So the one person inside this place rooting for them, a priest no less, had been sent to meet his maker. "Okay, Tom, can you keep an eye on them? Let me know the instant they stop fighting, or start looking for us."

Jeff will lift his shoulder, testing the bandage where he was shot. It feels like his collarbone might be broken, too, but one thing at a time. Looking up at the sprinkler system, he desperately wishes it would stop so he could get out his spellbook without damaging it. There might be something in there that could help them. "Jane?" he speaks softly, so as not to disturb Tom or jack. "Jane, you worked for SMart, right? Do you know if there's anything valuable here? Can you show me where it is? I need gold, silver, and silk, and lots of it." Jeff realizes how insane that sounds at the same moment he realizes that he used the past tense when talking about their lives before tonight.

Everything after today will be different.

Forestalling any questions, he raises a hand "Please? Just trust me- it's for Jack." He needed gold, silver, silk, and some chinese herbs, if he could find them. He could do without the herbs, but the spell needed the silk and gold.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane looks at Jeff distractedly. She is obviously trying to figure something out about the other group and her thoughts have yet to percolate enough. Nevertheless her reply does not sound like guess-work.

"Jewelry would be near the cashes. you can either move through the clothes or follow an aisle. Much of the gold stuff will be plated but the silver should be 9.25. Silk will be tougher but your best best will be in the lingerie section. Silk panties are popular year round. Do you want me to accompany you or should I stay with Tom? These people seem to have forgotten us... perhaps it's for the best."

She pauses briefly and looks at Jeff in earnest, focused on him now. "Do you think that money will still make the world go 'round? Is that why you think that we need gold and silver? Wait...that would'nt explain the silk..." She looks a little puzzled.

12. - Top - End - #672

Skunk

Hunched below the line of the top shelves, Skunk makes his way down the aisle toward where a well-behaved S-Mart pharmacy should be futilely waiting for customers. On the way, however, he would pass through the electronics section that could just be seen through the obstacles. It seemed it might be a good idea to think like a kid, playing at cops and robbers and secret agents in this situation.

13. - Top - End - #673

Tom nods quietly to Jeff, giving a quick glance over Skunk and Jane. He peeks back around the corner, wiping some water from his forehead. He silently curses the sprinklers still going, and watches as Mark searches through the belongings of the dead. When he's done, he kicks Ed's now drenched, blackened husk and yells, "Hey, somebody come get these and put 'em with the others."

Tom leans over and whispers, "Looks like they're more worried 'bout the water and the bodies. I don't think we have long..." His eyes wander down to Jack. He scrunches his face in confusion, seeing Skunk already gone.
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2007-12-18 at 08:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane nods to Tom and turns her attention back to Jeff. "Ok...why don't I show you. I should have an easier time than you finding all of that stuff."

She vainly tries to remove water from her forehead and eyes, blinks a few times, and grabs Jeff by the sleeve. She heads for the clothing aisles, her eyes scanning for the usual bold lettering that indicates sections and sub-divisions within the store. Jane's usually perfect hair is now in shambles. It limply frames her face and clings to her cheeks a little everytime that she moves her head. As she leads the way she vaguely considers grabbing a few items of clothing which are wrapped in plastic so as to escape the seemingly perpetual soakings of this horrible night.
    Last edited by Twilight; 2007-12-18 at 01:58 PM. Reason: more description stuff.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff shakes his head when Jane asks the reasons behind his unusual requests. "I worked in a chinese herb shop... and..." he trails off, unsure about how to proceed. "Please, just trust me. This should save Jack's life."

Jeff pats Tom on the shoulder, and looks over at Jack as well. The poor guy is bleeding from both shoulders, and that can't be good for him. Jeff thinks of putting a blanket over him, but with the sprinklers on it wouldn't do much more than soak up water. Anything that would keep water off of him would make sounds that would attract attention- better just to continue with his current plan.

Jeff gestures for Jane to lead the way, and tries to figure out a way to tell her what his plan is without sounding completely insane. "Jane, do you believe in angels?" he asks as he follows her toward the finer goods.
    Last edited by Logain; 2007-12-18 at 02:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Angels?" She walks in quiet for a moment, unsure of how to respond.

"You know Jeff, before tonight I think I would have said no. That there are people and animals on this Earth and that the things that are called supernatural are fiction nothing more. Tonight...well. I certainly hope that there are angels...that security guard was straight out of a horror movie...I don't know what is fiction anymore. Say...what do angels have to do with tea?" She sounds puzzled but doesn't really pause for more than a fraction of a second.

"Just say what you need to say. I don't know what constitutes crazy anymore and you seem a rational enough guy... You haven't pointed a gun at my head, which earns you bonus points in my book. Sorry I'm babbling. Just go ahead, I'll listen with an open mind." Jane's smile lights up her weary features and no guile can be detected behind her eyes.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff looks at Jane, taken back by her directness. "I... uh... I" he swallows once, and then lowers his voice, as if there was anyone around to hear. "I know that magic is real- I knew it before tonight... I... my wife's uncle taught me some spells. If we have gold and silk and silver, I should be able to cast a spell that could heal Jack."

Jeff swallows again, hoping that Jane believes him.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane reigns in her scornful kneejerk reaction before the full brunt of Jeff's declaration even reaches home. Her lips do part in an O of surprise yet even that is quickly quashed. She stops walking and looks into Jeff's eyes almost frowning and perhaps a little uncertain.

She tilts her head to the left and blinks three times in rapid succession as she assesses his degree of sincerity. Eventually she nods lightly and says "Ok."

"I can't say that I really believe you...But you clearly do and I don't know anything about how to treat bullet and monster wounds so if this will help, let's do it."

She begins to walk again her mind reeling with misgivings and hoping that her trust in Jeff isn't misplaced.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff flinches inside at Jane's compassionate but still unbelieving reply. "Yeah... that's why I usually don't tell people. Either they don't believe me, or once I prove it to them, they think they've gone crazy."

Jeff follows Jane down the clothing aisle, grabbing a few expensive wool sweaters. They're soaked, so they won't offer much protection, but he thinks to himself... They had wool in ancient China, right? This should work, too.

Out loud, he whispers in a plea almost too soft for Jane to hear, "Please, just believe me. I can really do this."

((Once they come to the clothing section, Jeff will begin stuffing silk panties into his pockets, loading up on anything and everything that he can grab ahold of. Seriously, anything made of silk will work.))

20. - Top - End - #680

Jeff and Jane make they're way slowly away from the auto department, much in the same way Skunk did. Tom watches silently, keeping an eye on Jack and the other on the commotion. Everyone hears something akin to a loud crack as something hits the ground behind them. However, at this distance, it is hard to figure what it might have been.

Skunk creeps through the tools and sporting goods, rounding the corner of the electronics. As if he had just stepped into a cloud of something, he picks up a very acrid smell in the air, though it is combining with a putrefying odor. It is the kind of smell that sends his hairs on end.

Upon entering the clothing department, Jeff begins stuffing his pockets with anything that seems useful. A moment later, the two hear some movement behind them, revealed to be Tom dragging Jack towards them. "Sorry if I startled ya, but they're on the move. Gotta keep away. I think they're headin' towards Skunk though..."

21. - Top - End - #681
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff stuffs his pockets full of anything that might prove useful. Anything silky or that says its made of silk, he stuffs into his pockets. He's about to turn to Jane to ask to be led to the jewelry when Tom and Jack approach. Eyeing the red-turning-pink trail that follows the injured soldier, Jeff hopes that the psychos won't follow the bloodtrail.

In answer to Tom's unasked question, Jeff says in a low voice "Skunk can take care of himself. He has a gun, and he's not stupid. Those psychos are probably just checking out whatever fell."

Turning to Jane, he takes one of Jack's arm and gestures for her to lead on. "Let's hurry. The sooner we have Jack on his feet, the sooner we can grab Skunk and leave this place behind."

22. - Top - End - #682

"Fell? Oh, that was just me. Threw some stuff so they'd stay away. Any closer and they'd have found me," Tom says, his face showing obvious signs of embarrassment. He quickly gets over it when he sees Jeff stuffing panties into his all his pockets. "Uhh.. Jeff, are you running that low that you need to stock up, now of all times?" he asks, contorting his face in confusion.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conflicting emotions battle within Jane: fear for her life and for that of the others and amusement at Tom's interpretation of Jeff's panty heist. She manages to look both amused and afraid, no mean feat.

Jeff's comment brings her back to her senses.

"Almost there I think. See we've entered that seasonal clothing section so we must be edging closer to the front. We'll probably have to break glass counters in order to get to the gold stuff by the way. Although the keys are likely to be behind the counter itself so we can always hope that it won't become an issue."

24. - Top - End - #684
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff sucks in air through his teeth, and then suddenly gets bashful at Tom's comment "No, it's for... it," Jeff glances at Jane out of the corner of his eye, remembering how she took the news sixteen seconds ago.

Turning, he looks at Tom with all seriousness. "Tom, these are for a magic spell. I need silk and gold for it, and it should heal Jack up, back to normal and good as new."

Looking to Jane, Jeff nods for her to continue. Jeff gets a hold of Jack's arm, helping carry the nearly-dead weight of the large soldier. "I'd rather avoid the sounds of shattering glass, if we could; Let's find the keys, or at least try and jimmy the locks rather than breaking through the top. Diamonds, gold, silver, those should be good enough."

25. - Top - End - #685

Skunk

The place was really jumping tonight. A crash resounded somewhere back the way he'd come, eliciting a squinched expression the likes of which equal, "Jeez! Why not just use a bullhorn!"

It didn't last long.

The look of consternation became a mix of nausea and memory-shuffling. A nasty odor smacked him upside the nose, went in, played a game of parcheesi and finally reminded him.

"Oh crap! Not another one!" he execrated under and over his breath. His gun, having been on a tea break in his hand, suddenly became animated as if peering straight through the racks and obstacles for a target it thought needed some additional lead in its diet.

His mind wondered where the thing was, figuring it couldn't be far if it stank this badly through the deluge.

His mind told itself to stop trying to scare it.

It didn't cooperate.

"***k!"

Short. Sweet. Skunky.

26. - Top - End - #686

The sprinklers finally shut off, only a few minutes having passed. Everyone is left soaked once more, and all the floors are now squeaky with movement. Skunk is the first to notice the sound, no doubt internally berating his footwear. Rounding the corner to the electronics department, he immediately spots two more rednecks hanging out, guarding something. They are clad in hunting gear with bandannas over their mouth. It is hard to make out from the distance, but the smell is quite repugnant.

Almost as if struck by a brick, Skunk knows why it smells, and especially why so strongly. Through the ending mists of water, he can see human body parts from around an aisle in the furthest corner.

A mountain of bodies. This is the prize that the two guard, ironically surrounded by, now drenched and useless, equipment quite similar to the bodies themselves. A hand here, a leg there, and perhaps some organs is the extent to which Skunk can see. However, he can see that it appears at least several feet high. From the look of it, these people have been here awhile, as decay has more than set in.

Tom looks up as the water shuts off, and closes his eyes slowly as if feeling pure once again. A moment later he and Jeff begin following Jane to the jewelry counter. Jeff notes the obvious silence from Tom as the words hit him. "Magic? I don't know 'bout that, Jeff. Hell, I don't know what's goin' on, but there's gotta be an explanation, right?"

Behind the counter, Jane looks around for a key...

27. - Top - End - #687
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jeff

Jeff nods at Tom's disbelief. This was more along the lines of what he had expected from Jane. "Yeah, dude, magic. You've been fighting demons all night, why is magic such a hard sell?"

Jeff winces as their feet make squeaky sounds on the wet floor. He stops in one place, crouching down near Jack, trying to watch the store while paying attention to his friends. He looks at Jane, desperately hoping she finds a key. The spell shouldn't take long to cast, but he'd be more comfortable with it over and done with.

He had never tried this spell before. It might be too much for him. Jeff bats at the butterflies in his stomach, and tries to ignore the bile in the back of his throat. There would be time to throw up after he saved the soldier.

28. - Top - End - #688

Skunk

He'd seen a lot of stuff tonight that'd be great fodder for a Romero classic, so his sense of perspective had become skewed. Inurred somewhat to the unique sights and, fortunately, odors of life since the end of the world as everyone knew it, Skunk wasn't shocked. Instead, he was pissed. He wasn't going to hit the pharmacy from this direction, and there went his plans for the walkie-talkies.

"Bastards!" he muttered, barely audibly even to himself before hunkering down and backing off. He took care to keep his boots quiet and to avoid becoming buried in whatever was on the shelves beside him, but it was slower going and the misting no longer helped mask his movements.

29. - Top - End - #689

Tom stares blankly at Jeff for a few moments as the words linger between them. "Jeff, we've seen some crazy ***t, but magic I just don' know 'bout," Tom says, finally letting his jaw slide again into confusion.

Meanwhile, Skunk slowly makes his way backwards, away from a potentially dangerous situation. However, as he is checking his tracks, he notes that a couple of goons are on his six, dragging the husk of Ed behind.
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2007-12-26 at 11:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane rummages through the back of the counter but her eyes are stinging from all the water that keeps dripping into her eyes. She feels nervous and she nearly jumps when the sprinklers stop.

"This thing is a total mess. I can't seem to find the keys...maybe if someone else looked. Oh...hadn't we found a set of keys in the backroom...? Maybe there would be a copy on that chain."