New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation IV: The Lore Thing

Misho and Secret share a similar past experience : they died and then have been fine... :-p
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

No they don't. Secret never died.

She came close, but she never actually stopped living for even a second.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #933
    Barbarian in the Playground

I guess I'm unclear about how Abyssal Exalted work then. Do they gain necromantic power infused into their still-living bodies? Are they in some kind of pseudo-undead stasis state?

Also, Misho is so morose, haha. Understandably so, I guess, but it's almost jarring at times. He seems like one of those nerds who can only get along with people when he's teaching them something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Abyssals are living beings that respire death Essence. As beings that respire death Essence, they are terrifying to the living. As beings that are alive, they are terrifying to the dead.

Though they may look like it, they are not undead. Neither did they die and come back - the hun and po souls do not return once they leave the body.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

5. - Top - End - #935

So Solars are the attention whores of the universe; all their powers make them glorious to behold and personally magnetic and so on. And Abyssals gain antipathic powers by wearing all black. I'm sensing a pattern here.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

You're a horribly person

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'm confused. How does Misho remember the First Age? Does he remember the previous life or his soul before it was reincarnated or does he remember the life of the previous host of his Exaltation? Keychain can be confusing at times for someone who doesn't play Exalted.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

He remembers his previous Exaltation. Of course, he might also remember his soul's previous life - but that's not very likely.

Basically, memories have a tendency to 'burn into' an Exaltation - and it needs to be 'pruned' to get rid of them. Thrice Radiant Misho's life was recorded on his Exaltation and apparently not removed at all.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-09-27 at 07:57 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

To clarify even further, Misho's state is an abnormality. Usually, upon death of a Celestial Exalt, the shard that carries the Exaltation should return to Lytek's (the god of Exaltation's) cabinet, to be rinsed of the memories from it's previous owners life before it's let out to find another worthy host.

In Misho's case, his shard came to him will all the memories of the Thrice-Radiant intact. While there are ways of making your character have significant memories of his previous lives in the system, it seems that he can even draw on the Charms and spells the Thrice-Radiant knew (since I very much doubt Misho would study Necromancy on his own accord), and this cannot be done at all within the system. This is Jukashi creating a plot element.

Edit: Which made me think. If it is actually so that Misho retains the Charms and spells of the Thrice-Radiant, would that mean that he carries dormant charms up to possibly Essence 8-10 level, just waiting for him to unlock their prerequisites?
    Last edited by Weimann; 2010-09-27 at 08:17 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #939

Plot?! In Exalted?! Tell me it's not true!

That's cool though. I more or less figured that Misho's memory/powers seemed to be even beyond the limits of how absurd Exalted tends to be, in regards to shouty super powers. Heck, to an extent I think Marena is pretty bloody overpowered, but I've come to accept that these guys have some significant extra experience points they're spending for the purposes of the story. So I'm not worried about the mechanics as much as I am the fun, which is in no short supply.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

You're a horribly person

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Which made me think. If it is actually so that Misho retains the Charms and spells of the Thrice-Radiant, would that mean that he carries dormant charms up to possibly Essence 8-10 level, just waiting for him to unlock their prerequisites?
    He's a Golden Hero Vassal. I'd be surprised if he didn't have Essence 10 Charms available before dying.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, it makes sense now. Thanks. I was under the impression it's common for the Exalts to get flashbacks to the lives of their Exaltation's previous hosts.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Ah, it makes sense now. Thanks. I was under the impression it's common for the Exalts to get flashbacks to the lives of their Exaltation's previous hosts.
    Flashbacks, yes. Lytek is not God (OK, he is a god, but you get the point). Exaltations are incredibly complicated works of motonic technology, as such removing all of the memories is incredibly difficult. All Exalts, except for Terrestrials and Alchemicals, can retain some memories of their important past lives (defined as 100+ year old ones), though detailed memories are only common amongst the Green Sun Princes, because Ebon Dragon is a cheater.
    I use black for sarcasm.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It's not entirely uncommon for that to happen, however when they do occur they are usually short and completely free of context. Green Sun Princes are an exception to this as they generally remember there Past Lives quite well due to their Exaltation not being pruned like others are.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Flashbacks, yes. Lytek is not God (OK, he is a god, but you get the point). Exaltations are incredibly complicated works of motonic technology, as such removing all of the memories is incredibly difficult. All Exalts, except for Terrestrials and Alchemicals, can retain some memories of their important past lives (defined as 100+ year old ones), though detailed memories are only common amongst the Green Sun Princes, because Ebon Dragon is a cheater.
    How did Ebon manage to that? I'd have thought Lytek would have stripped all memories before storing the exaltations in the sea prison.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    How did Ebon manage to that? I'd have thought Lytek would have stripped all memories before storing the exaltations in the sea prison.
    Lytek didn't store the Exaltations in the Jade Prison. He was mugged by the Sidereals before he got a chance to work on the Exaltations. They put them in the Jade Prison.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2010-09-27 at 10:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Lytek would never approve of the Jade Prison. One of the reasons the Celestial Bureaucracy despises the Sidereals is because of how Lytek was manhandled during the Usurpation.
    I use black for sarcasm.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, in the middle of the party Lytek got held at swordpoint to keep him from doing his job. A violation of half a dozen heavenly laws and a severity 4-5 offense if ever there was one (killing one celestial exalt of low essence is bad enough, as is keeping a god from doing their job or threatening them...)

Misho pretty blatantly has the Throwback flaw from scroll of heroes. That + Amnesia + Nightmares also explains how he got so many damn merits, to paraphrase secret.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Yeah, in the middle of the party Lytek got held at swordpoint to keep him from doing his job. A violation of half a dozen heavenly laws and a severity 4-5 offense if ever there was one (killing one celestial exalt of low essence is bad enough, as is keeping a god from doing their job or threatening them...)
    And if you're wondering why the entirety of Yu-Shan doesn't go audit-fu on their asses, it's because the breaking of the Mask effectively removes all evidence of their complicity. Everyone knows that they are behind the Usurpation, and no one can prove it.
    I use black for sarcasm.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    And if you're wondering why the entirety of Yu-Shan doesn't go audit-fu on their asses, it's because the breaking of the Mask effectively removes all evidence of their complicity. Everyone knows that they are behind the Usurpation, and no one can prove it.
    Yeppers. I'm given to understand the Sidereals don't even clearly remember how they were involved in the Usurpation. They really wracked up some problems there.

Though, you know what's really fun? In a game where the seal of Eight Divinities is busted, point out the alchemicals match up pretty one for one against other exalt types. Then point out the adamant caste to the sidereals, offhandedly bring up the Oversight Committee, and waggle your eyebrows suggestively. Instant paranoia fuel.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #950

What is 'the Breaking of the mask'?

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

The Mask is a constellation associated with the Ability Stealth and resonates with identity. Sidereals broke it to avoid punishment due to the Usurpation, but they succeeded too well. Not only did it remove all evidence of their complicity, but it also made them extremely difficult to remember and removed their ability to create non-resplendent destinies of the Mask for themselves.
    I use black for sarcasm.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

What is 'the Breaking of the mask'?
    The Mask is a constellation associated with the Ability of Stealth. The Sidereals broke it when they overloaded it with something like seven hundred simultaneous Sidereal Astrology effects in an attempt to make everyone forget the Sidereals ever engineered the Usurpation. Jupiter herself had to intervene to prevent the constellation from imploding.

The Sidereals got their wish, but now everyone who is not a Celestial diety or Outside Fate tends to forget they even exist. The Sidereals also forgot several important things, one of which is how to make a Jade Prison. They did it, they remember doing it, they just don't remember how they did it. They also forgot where they ditched it, so they couldn't go and check on it.

Fourteen centuries later, the Deathlords found it.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2010-09-27 at 01:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #953

Hmm, fixing the Mask would make an interesting mini-campaign

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Sidereals have generally decided that the problems with being forgotten are only nusiances (repeated exposure allows people to start remembering the Sidereal again), while the benefits are great (nobody believes a shadowy cabal of Anathema secretly control the goverment of the Realm!).

25. - Top - End - #955

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

You're a horribly person

26. - Top - End - #956

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Sidereals have generally decided that the problems with being forgotten are only nusiances (repeated exposure allows people to start remembering the Sidereal again), while the benefits are great (nobody believes a shadowy cabal of Anathema secretly control the goverment of the Realm!).
    For Sidereals, yes, but for a bunch of (Corrupted) Solar who want to expose the Sidereals it could be very handy.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

If that isn't a Quirky Miniboss Squad waiting to happen, I don't know what is!
    Truth resists simplicity.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Misho pretty blatantly has the Throwback flaw from scroll of heroes. That + Amnesia + Nightmares also explains how he got so many damn merits, to paraphrase secret.
    I thought Misho's stats for that were Amnesia + Past Lives 5?

(*doesn't have SoH* )

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post

(*doesn't have SoH* )
    We know for sure he has Past Lives 5, as he says so in the first ten strips.
    I use black for sarcasm.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post

(*doesn't have SoH* )
    Which qualifies him for the Throwback flaw, where a past life can control your actions and exert a potentially unhealthy influence on you.
    Spoiler
    Show