New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation IV: The Lore Thing

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Yeah, that was my impression too. He didn't sacrifice his ignorance and become all-knowing, he sacrificed his ignorance and realized just how much suffering was in the world, at which point his Compassion acquired its self-destructive streak.
    I think this puts it really well. I have to say, that sort of self-abandoning compassion is an idea that's really haunted me, and I love how Jukashi put it into words here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignition View Post
    He wants it for the same reason I don't want Misho to have it: it's an anti-death-magic "I Win" item. If Misho gets his grubby mitts on it, and it still works like the legend claims, then Misho will be an immovable object against The First and Forsaken Lion's unstoppable force. As we all know, in Exalted, Defense Trumps Offense

"No Thing Born of Death Has Power Over Him". Scary, even for a god.
    Oh. I kind of read it like he can't die from natural causes, such as old age, disease or the like. A sword to the gut would still take him out.

But I might have misinterpreted.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Troll in the Playground

The way I take it is, Beings of Death can't do anything to him while he wields the sword - e.g. beings of the Underworld/Abyss and whatnot. (Abyssals, Infernals, Deathlords, Neverborn, Yozis...hungry ghosts...pigeons...and such.)

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The solution is simple: don't make it a Chekov's gun that makes the final fight too easy for the protagonists. Make it a Chekov's gun that makes the final fight possible for the protagonists, instead of a insta-hosed, no saving throw affair.
    Something tells me it would appear in an antagonist's position, just from the demands of the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    I think this puts it really well. I have to say, that sort of self-abandoning compassion is an idea that's really haunted me, and I love how Jukashi put it into words here.
    It's ok except for his word choice and failure to fully expound upon his intent and meaning there.

Because it doesn't really sound like he gave up his ignorance, it sounds closer to him giving up his ability to forget things over time except that doesn't even fully encapsulate what vague-ness we did run into.

The story part is good, but the treatment of his sacrifice and implications just bug the **** out of me.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-10-01 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    The way I take it is, Beings of Death can't do anything to him while he wields the sword - e.g. beings of the Underworld/Abyss and whatnot. (Abyssals, Infernals, Deathlords, Neverborn, Yozis...hungry ghosts...pigeons...and such.)
    Well, the Yozis and Infernals don't really count as Being of Death, since they're powered with Primordial Essence rather than Necrotic. If anything, the Primordials' role in building Creation makes them the exact opposite.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It's ok except for his word choice and failure to fully expound upon his intent and meaning there.

Because it doesn't really sound like he gave up his ignorance, it sounds closer to him giving up his ability to forget things over time except that doesn't even fully encapsulate what vague-ness we did run into.

The story part is good, but the treatment of his sacrifice and implications just bug the **** out of me.
    Well, one of his radiances was said to be memory, so if he gave up ignorance, he'd know everything-know all the suffering of all people, and never be able to forget it.

How I see it, anyway.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-10-01 at 03:47 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignition View Post
    He wants it for the same reason I don't want Misho to have it: it's an anti-death-magic "I Win" item. If Misho gets his grubby mitts on it, and it still works like the legend claims, then Misho will be an immovable object against The First and Forsaken Lion's unstoppable force. As we all know, in Exalted, Defense Trumps Offense

"No Thing Born of Death Has Power Over Him". Scary, even for a god.
    There's lots of other reasons.

The Deathlords fight each other all the time, and a powerful anti-deathlord weapon would therefore be very valuable to them.

More than that, if it has power over the Neverborn, the FaFL might be able to get free using it. Using the keys, he could open his armor; using the Sword of Vitality, he could prevent the Neverborn from having any sway over him, so they can't re-imprison him. At that point he'd be free to take over the world -- it's pretty much just the Neverborn holding him back out of spite for his past failures.

Remember, the FaFL doesn't actually want to destroy the world ("Egad, I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff!") He agreed to do it because that was the only way for him to get power again, but what he really wants is to rule the world, not to kill it. He would definitely be interested in anything that would let him stab the Neverborn in the back -- he's not really on the Neverborn's side. He's on his own side; the Neverborn just happened to be a stepping-stone to power along the way.

The FaFL may even be the ghost of someone Misho knew in life (technically, the only reason we know he's not Misho's ghost is because the FaFL wasn't a Primordial War survivor, and Misho was. But even that could be tweaked if Keychain's canon is different.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2010-10-01 at 06:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Interesting analysis! I guess I wrote off FaFL as Skeletor Variant Eighty Five too quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Yozis and Infernals are not beings of Death. At all. They respire living Essence just like mortals and Celestial Exalts and so on do.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

The FaFL may even be the ghost of someone Misho knew in life (technically, the only reason we know he's not Misho's ghost is because the FaFL wasn't a Primordial War survivor, and Misho was. But even that could be tweaked if Keychain's canon is different.)
    Also, the Lion was likely a Dawn Caste in life, rather than Twilight.

Are there any Deathlords that were Golden Hero Vassals?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Also, the Lion was likely a Dawn Caste in life, rather than Twilight.

Are there any Deathlords that were Golden Hero Vassals?
    Probably! After all, they'd be the craziest ones by the time of the Usurpation, right?

On average, I mean.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Yozis and Infernals are not beings of Death. At all. They respire living Essence just like mortals and Celestial Exalts and so on do.
    Bah, silly technicalities. (But thanks for the correction.)

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Probably! After all, they'd be the craziest ones by the time of the Usurpation, right?

On average, I mean.
    According to popular theory, the Silver Prince was a rather famous Golden Hero Vassal in life who had an exemplary relationship with his wife.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok, here is where I go and own up to something; the story of the Blade of Vitality actually pre-dates Keychain of Creation, in the form of a custom artifact that I made way back in the days of First Edition. Although I rewrote the story, not much of it has been changed in essence.

So, you see, there are actually definted traits and powers for the Blade. One, that it's utterly indestructible, two that whoever owns it doesn't age and is much healthier than a normal human, three that it makes you immune to the powers of deathly beings (ghosts, abyssals, deathlords and the neverborn) and four that it itself deals aggravated damage to those beings.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jukashi View Post
    One, that it's utterly indestructible.
    Given that the only other utterly indestructable things in the settings are the exaltations, it seems I wasn't far off the mark when speculating about merging an exaltation with a weapon.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

16. - Top - End - #1036

Quote Originally Posted by Jukashi View Post
    So, you see, there are actually definted traits and powers for the Blade. One, that it's utterly indestructible, two that whoever owns it doesn't age and is much healthier than a normal human, three that it makes you immune to the powers of deathly beings (ghosts, abyssals, deathlords and the neverborn) and four that it itself deals aggravated damage to those beings.

The Deathlords fight each other all the time, and a powerful anti-deathlord weapon would therefore be very valuable to them.

More than that, if it has power over the Neverborn, the FaFL might be able to get free using it. Using the keys, he could open his armor; using the Sword of Vitality, he could prevent the Neverborn from having any sway over him, so they can't re-imprison him. At that point he'd be free to take over the world -- it's pretty much just the Neverborn holding him back out of spite for his past failures.

Remember, the FaFL doesn't actually want to destroy the world ("Egad, I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff!") He agreed to do it because that was the only way for him to get power again, but what he really wants is to rule the world, not to kill it. He would definitely be interested in anything that would let him stab the Neverborn in the back -- he's not really on the Neverborn's side. He's on his own side; the Neverborn just happened to be a stepping-stone to power along the way.

Yeah, the blade of vitality sounds like the sort of thing a deathlord would want if they were planning on going rogue. Well, differently rogue, seeing as they are already the rogue ghosts of solars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Given that the only other utterly indestructable things in the settings are the exaltations, it seems I wasn't far off the mark when speculating about merging an exaltation with a weapon.
    But this doesnt quite make sense, since we know Misho has his Exaltation himself, it cant be stuck in a sword then?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #1038

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But this doesnt quite make sense, since we know Misho has his Exaltation himself, it cant be stuck in a sword then?
    It's made of dragon.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1039

Well there is a parallel in the Abyssals and their monstrances - the exaltation isn't kept within the monstrance but is linked to it, so maybe there is a similar situation there?

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Well there is a parallel in the Abyssals and their monstrances - the exaltation isn't kept within the monstrance but is linked to it, so maybe there is a similar situation there?
    Monstrances aren't even close to indestructible. They're just very hardy.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

Due to my hax Google skillz, here's the entry on Mim, the Sword of Vitality.

Note that Jukashi stated that the origin story was changed.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2010-10-02 at 01:36 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #1042

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Due to my hax Google skillz, here's the entry on Mim, the Sword of Vitality.

Note that Jukashi stated that the origin story was changed.
    Oh it so it was Misho's lower soul rather than his exaltation. I wonder how it gained indestructibility?

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Oh it so it was Misho's lower soul rather than his exaltation. I wonder how it gained indestructibility?
    Strangely, it is the lower soul that the Exaltation attaches itself to in humans. I wonder what happened to Misho's Exaltation without his animating force.
    I use black for sarcasm.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

It lost it's memories, cause they were attached to the sword?
    Maybe?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #1045

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    According to popular theory, the Silver Prince was a rather famous Golden Hero Vassal in life who had an exemplary relationship with his wife.
    Were... the first solars known not to treat their wives well or something?
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

*cough*Desus*cough*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #1047

The particular Solar speculated to have become the Silver Prince was an upstanding fellow against whom not a word should be said! Nor am I wearing a white veil. I don't know why you never asked that, as we are not even having this conversation.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're confused, check the Tvtropes Complete Monster page, under Tabletop Games. It should become clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #1049

Nonsense, horngeek. As kamikasei said, Desus is a hallmark of kindness and heroics! That the page you suggest spends more time speaking of his atrocities than those of the Neverborn and Ebon Dragon combined -- the latter of whom likely created and embodies the concept of Complete Monstrosity, mind you... Well, it's clearly all slander and lies.
    Last edited by Gaius; 2010-10-02 at 07:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1050

NecromancerGuy

So this is after they all start going crazy or before?

Because I think I have a new favorite person if he started doing that even before they were all frothing at the mouth like CE-incarnate....
    Homebrew