New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Banned

Default Re: Keychain of Creation IV: The Lore Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    What are these eggs you guys keep referring to? And what are the db's exprression of the great curse?
    Lost eggs? A lost egg is a Terrestrial Exalted who is technically a Dynast or Outcaste but not claimed by any House (usually Houses try to get a lot of the same element their House is associated with to keep the purity of the line). A house will then "adopt" them, but it will be like they were always part of the family.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    There's a double entendre here regarding Solar Bonds somewhere, but I'm too sleepy to parse it properly.
    Solars do horrible things to horrible things. Watching was a horrible decision.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Solars do horrible things to horrible things. Watching was a horrible decision.
    Poor, poor Lillith.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    And what are the db's expression of the great curse?
    The Dragonblooded are only a step up from mortals, and thus beneath the dying Primordial's notice.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    The Dragonblooded are only a step up from mortals, and thus beneath the dying Primordial's notice.
    No, they just have a weak curse. They tend towards excessive displays of their elemental nature in keeping with their virtues, but they don't have as concrete a mechanic to represent it.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

The Dragon-Blooded exhibit the Great Curse only rarely. They gain Limit only from resisting unnatural mental influence and suppressing their greatest Virtue, so they don't get Limit very quickly unless they suck at social combat and aren't very proactive, i.e. are not player characters.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So is it the great curse or laziness that lead to the Sidereals not being curious why everything went to pot?
    Not really. They probably think it's a natural result of giving Ultimate Cosmic Power to three hundred flawed human beings and then removing all accountability. Solars are Exalted for having the will to stand up and try to change the world—not for their impeccable morals. They were designed to be weapons, not peacetime rulers.

And even if they did begin with the best of intentions—a lot of them probably did—it's easy for that kind of autocracy to go wrong. After three thousand years of ruling as a god-king, you probably don't even remember what being mortal is like. Even at their best, the Solars of the First Age were basically benevolent tyrants.

It doesn't really surprise me that this went horribly wrong. The Great Curse made it faster, more widespread, and more certain by preying on the Solars' flaws, but it's not like the system was infallible in the first place.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. The best system is probably how the Alchemical Exalted are treated- respected heroes, but they defer to mortal rulers.

That said, that's only possible because the Alchemicals can't Exalt without mortal guidance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Indeed. The best system is probably how the Alchemical Exalted are treated- respected heroes, but they defer to mortal rulers.

That said, that's only possible because the Alchemicals can't Exalt without mortal guidance.
    Also they introvert and turn into navel-inspecting cities when they start hitting the real superpowers.

I love the alchemical model, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Hence, the goal of the plan was flawed, and largely due to the curse.

Which is what I said.
    I don't think we put the same meaning in the word "goal." you can look at it in a few different ways.

Firstly, the goal of the Sidereals' plan was to save the world. Was that flawed? No, I don't think anyone can argue that.

Secondly, the goal of the Sidereals' plan was to dethrone the Solars. Was this flawed? Well, there was a prophecy who said that they could have cured them, but it was unlikely. In that light, I feel it was reasonable to go with the most safe option that still prevented total holocaust.

The flaw in the plan was where the Sidereals failed to calculate with the Abyssals and Infernals making an entrance. Thus, what in retrospect becomes objectionable is the assumption on their part that everything is goverened by Fate. They could have investigated it, but the Curse gave them hubris and they assumed they had thought about everything. This isn't a flawed goal, though, it's a flawed method.

As I see it, the Propecy has come to fruitation pretty nicely. If not for the Abyssals and Infernals, Creation would have been pretty well off (save for the Fair Folk and general politics). Now the situation is much more dire, but that wasn't the problem of the plan. If there had been no outer interference, the plan would have succeeded. Thus, it was good.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Hello ladies. Look at your character, now back to me, now back to your character, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me. But if you stopped playing him in other systems and switched to Exalted, he could play like he's me.

Look down, back up, where are you? You're fighting a behemoth, with the character your character could play like. What's in your hand? Back to me. I have it: it's a Yasal Crystal with two spirits of that thing you love.

Look again: THE SPIRITS ARE NOW STARMETAL!

Anything is possible when your character plays in Exalted and not another system. I'm on the Daystar.

*whistle*

...because Old Spice Guy is awesome.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Hello ladies. Look at your character, now back to me, now back to your character, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me. But if you stopped playing him in other systems and switched to Exalted, he could play like he's me.

Look down, back up, where are you? You're fighting a behemoth, with the character your character could play like. What's in your hand? Back to me. I have it: it's a Yasal Crystal with two spirits of that thing you love.

Anything is possible when your character plays in Exalted and not another system. I'm on the Daystar.

*whistle*

...may I kiss you?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ettin in the Playground

*whistle*

Even Sesame Street thinks so.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...may I kiss you?
    Yes, but only a chaste kiss.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I think I would have preferred a setting without a Great Curse, or if the Great Curse were more of a prophetic "Ha-Ha, you're boned now..." from the dying gasps of the Primordials.

Imagine: The Solars went insane and paranoid because they were flawed human beings being given ultimate power and thousand year spans. The Lunars became animalistic just from too much contact with their animals sides and a capricious Goddess. The Sidereals became arrogant and immersed in groupthink because they were in charge of the bureaucracy that ran all of Creation for thousands of years.

The tragedy is more poignant when it's essentially human failings that doom us, failings that exist no matter how many perfect defense charms we have, problems that can't be fixed by punching.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but only a chaste kiss.
    (gives chaste kiss)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    The tragedy is more poignant when it's essentially human failings that doom us, failings that exist no matter how many perfect defense charms we have, problems that can't be fixed by punching.
    Yeah... but that's a really, really depressing setting, no?

Oh, question. XD Essence Cannons. Are they canon? Where are the rules for them?
    Pun not intended.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, question. XD Essence Cannons. Are they canon? Where are the rules for them?
    Oh, the irony of being asked this question right after a discussion about what counts as Exalted canon.

Yes, they are canon. Yes, they have rules. They can be found in Wonders of the Lost Age, along with the rules for power armor, warstriders and dinosaurs that eat opium and piss heroin.
    I use black for sarcasm.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

Hooray! (Hugs)
    (goes to get)

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

*whistle*

Old Spice Guy knows how to flurry Ring and Cup Shaping attacks at the audience.

Back on topic: Anybody else notice the top right corner of the last panel adding Ten's hand to the scene where it wasn't the previous panel? The Memetic Monk is in motion...

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

Hooray! (Hugs)
    (goes to get)
    Honestly, though, the personal ones aren't very powerful. You're likely better off getting a powerbow.
    I use black for sarcasm.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Banned

*whistle*

Ladies...
    I think yours works better though.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, though, the personal ones aren't very powerful. You're likely better off getting a powerbow.
    We're talking about Exalted. Fluff>Mechanics.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    I'd say that in any game. But yeah. <3

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    I think I would have preferred a setting without a Great Curse, or if the Great Curse were more of a prophetic "Ha-Ha, you're boned now..." from the dying gasps of the Primordials.

Imagine: The Solars went insane and paranoid because they were flawed human beings being given ultimate power and thousand year spans. The Lunars became animalistic just from too much contact with their animals sides and a capricious Goddess. The Sidereals became arrogant and immersed in groupthink because they were in charge of the bureaucracy that ran all of Creation for thousands of years.

Personally, I prefer the Curse. I just prefer a setting where the rampant madness is explicitly not a result of the designers hitting us over the head with the "Humanity SUCKS!" stick.

Also, I think it's more tragic to have all the bad **** that's happened since the Primordial War be completely and utterly avoidable.

Lastly, which is more awesome: The few Exalted who figure out what's going on learning that there's nothing they can do about it but angst, or the few Exalted who figure it out going for an all-or-nothing Hail Mary high-risk-high-reward long shot to fix the setting once and for all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

Except they didn't take the long shot. They went with the easy, "kill them all" plan and arguably made things worse.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I meant a group of PCs, not the Bronze Faction. Sorry about the mixup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Indeed. I mean, if you cared about mechanics, you probably wouldn't play Exalted.

(Zing! )

Had to be said

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Indeed. I mean, if you cared about mechanics, you probably wouldn't play Exalted.

(Zing! )[/COLOR]
    Man, if I were in the habit of quoting things in my signature, I would totally quote this in my signature.

Instead, I hereby grant you 1 (one) Internet.
    I use black for sarcasm.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I don't think we put the same meaning in the word "goal." you can look at it in a few different ways.

Firstly, the goal of the Sidereals' plan was to save the world. Was that flawed? No, I don't think anyone can argue that.

Secondly, the goal of the Sidereals' plan was to dethrone the Solars. Was this flawed? Well, there was a prophecy who said that they could have cured them, but it was unlikely. In that light, I feel it was reasonable to go with the most safe option that still prevented total holocaust.

The flaw in the plan was where the Sidereals failed to calculate with the Abyssals and Infernals making an entrance. Thus, what in retrospect becomes objectionable is the assumption on their part that everything is goverened by Fate. They could have investigated it, but the Curse gave them hubris and they assumed they had thought about everything. This isn't a flawed goal, though, it's a flawed method.

As I see it, the Propecy has come to fruitation pretty nicely. If not for the Abyssals and Infernals, Creation would have been pretty well off (save for the Fair Folk and general politics). Now the situation is much more dire, but that wasn't the problem of the plan. If there had been no outer interference, the plan would have succeeded. Thus, it was good.
    You seem to forget that even without the Abyssals and Infernals, the Dragon-Blooded never really managed to retain the control over Creation that they wrested from the Solars and with time, they grew corrupt and decadent. After all, they have the Curse just like any other Exalted even if it's weaker. Essentially, the Sidereals doomed Creation to a slow and lingering decay that had nothing to do with the influence of either the Neverborn or the Yozi instead of more immediate destruction.
    Last edited by Solarn; 2010-10-13 at 06:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solarn View Post
    You seem to forget that even without the Abyssals and Infernals, the Dragon-Blooded never really managed to retain the control over Creation that they wrested from the Solars and with time, they grew corrupt and decadent. After all, they have the Curse just like any other Exalted even if it's weaker. Essentially, the Sidereals doomed Creation to a slow and lingering decay that had nothing to do with the influence of either the Neverborn or the Yozi instead of more immediate destruction.
    Actually, the Dragon-Blooded's biggest trouble in handlingCreation was dealing with gods who wanted to run the Terrestrials through bureaucratic gymnastics because they didn't have the Creation Ruling Mandate. Other than that, they had Creation well in hand until the Great Contagion rolled out. Chejop Kejack was close to manipulating the Shogunate into turning into a democracy (within 10 years if memory serves) when the Great Contagion ruined a millenia of work.