New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,482 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VII: Common Sense is not RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand . Maths support? Do you mean showing how it was made?
    Something like this:
    "Alright! My Nobs are going to roll right over..
    Wait. Fours to hit threes to wound...attacks..initiative...armour saves...erk.
    Okay my Nobs will charge this unit instead."

Intuition/Statistics x2 Combo!
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2010-08-26 at 09:33 AM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Do most people not already do that?

I had a small gaming group, played mostly WFB, and haven't played a game in several years, but it was common practice among us to be sizing up the odds for our various potential moves during our opponents' turn, when he was wondering about where to move things. Just rough and ready mental arithmetic with the expectation values, of course - there's no way you could work out a probability distribution on the fly.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    What I got out of the match is that night spinners suck, due mainly to the fact that their main gun is AP-. They would probably do fairly well against orks, tyranids, guard, etc.
    I love my Night Spinner, it's fantastic against just about everything. A S6 rending large blast is nothing to scoff at, and even with AP- it's going to be forcing a lot of wounds. For me personally, since most of my local metagame consists of Space Marines, I don't even notice the AP-.

People also tend to seriously underestimate having to take a difficult/dangerous terrain check next time you move. It's great at sniping special models by giving you a 1/6 chance to kill everybody. I also get lucky and get a pin occasionally. And having a 72' range twin-linked barrage is handy; it's very easy to keep the Night Spinner out of fire.

I run a pair of Fire Prisms for linking, and a Night Spinner as my heavy support and it works wonders for me. Actually come to think of it, the same 2000pt mech list has gone 6-0 so far, primarily against Vulkan lists and mech IG, with I think one game against nids.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    You're not the only person that thinks this way; we need to educate the proletariat.
    Yes; how dare I think differently? Clearly I need to be educated. If being a proponent of using statistics the way you do means I'd end up treating people the way you do, I'm pretty sure I want nothing to do with it. Period. You could show me how to blow up the freaking moon with little plastic soldiers, and I wouldn't care a bit.

So what if people believe something different from you? It's not your place to educate anybody. If you want to educate someone, teach them the rules; don't treat your addiction to math like it's the end all, be all.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2010-08-26 at 09:59 AM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Only two? Oh, I can remember a few more than that. However, if you're not going to remember them, I'm certainly not going to tell you.
    Sounds fair to me.

Mind, I counted only objectively quantifiable stuff (i.e., rules questions), not strategic issues (which are, after all, meta-game- and opinion-dependent). Still, I think your track record's pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    I run a pair of Fire Prisms for linking, and a Night Spinner as my heavy support and it works wonders for me. Actually come to think of it, the same 2000pt mech list has gone 6-0 so far, primarily against Vulkan lists and mech IG, with I think one game against nids.
    Would you mind posting that list (or linking to it, if you already have and I've missed it )?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    Yes; how dare I think differently? Clearly I need to be educated. If being a proponent of using statistics the way you do means I'd end up treating people the way you do, I'm pretty sure I want nothing to do with it. Period. You could show me how to blow up the freaking moon with little plastic soldiers, and I wouldn't care a bit.

So what if people believe something different from you? It's not your place to educate anybody. If you want to educate someone, teach them the rules; don't treat your addiction to math like it's the end all, be all.
    "Warhammer 40K Tabletop VIII: You Might as Well Face it, You're Addicted to Math!"
    Eh? Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

^ It's pain inducingly good. Nice one

Had an odd situation last night where the length of the Eldar Fire Prism model came into play. Until then I hadn't realised the new plastic version essentially has an extra 3 inches of range due to it's extended barrel. Surely GW can sell enough of the new plastics without including a tangible in game benefit?

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    ^ It's pain inducingly good. Nice one
    I felt like someone needed to break the tension in the room.

EDIT: And a Robert Palmer reference is almost as good as this.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-08-26 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Wait, they have Fleet too?"
    "Don't tell Wraith we're Fleet."
    "Do you want to build forever, Ghosts?"
    "Black Reach - Marines bad, Orks good."
    "Ignore Lycan's Daemonhunter babble..."
    "Don't tell her how much you spent this month..."
    "You can WAAAGH!! after Running?"
    "With 20% more Cheesegear battle reports!"
    "In the grim dark future, there is only math."
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    I love my Night Spinner, it's fantastic against just about everything. A S6 rending large blast is nothing to scoff at, and even with AP- it's going to be forcing a lot of wounds. For me personally, since most of my local metagame consists of Space Marines, I don't even notice the AP-.

People also tend to seriously underestimate having to take a difficult/dangerous terrain check next time you move. It's great at sniping special models by giving you a 1/6 chance to kill everybody. I also get lucky and get a pin occasionally. And having a 72' range twin-linked barrage is handy; it's very easy to keep the Night Spinner out of fire.

Well. Maybe I just had a bad (or good?) experience with the night spinner. Here's how the game went, regarding the night spinner:

My Turn 1: I deep strike my guys, my buddy drop pods his guys.

Their Turn 1: Night spinner shoots at some tactical marines, but scatters off. Twin Linked lets him reroll, and he gets 4 marines or so, doing 1 rend, 2 wounds. Wounds are saved. The rended model dies. They aren't pinned.

Our Turn 2: Those tactical marines walk out of the dangerous/difficult terrain, not being slowed down much and not taking wounds. Meltagun in the squad shoots at the night spinner, missing. He has Vulkan, so he rerolls. He hits, blows up the night spinner.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, shouldn't somebody start a new thread around now?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Sorry, shouldn't somebody start a new thread around now?
    Ask a ye shall receive, sir
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation