New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

I didn't want to make another weapon quality but certainly that would be possible.

If I were doing this properly, a Rusted Weapon would be half the value of a standard weapon and would carry the disease red ache. It's not much.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    It is exactly the same as the other format, but with actual arithmetic.
    The only difference between the versions is that yours includes the +10 that is supposed to be a ubiquitous standard, and a few extra []s which are visually distracting.

Huh. You learn something new every day.
    Yeah, it's the same principle that makes a 9 ability score a -1 mod. It's a tad awkward, but it works, I think.

Yes, the maltressor can. It is still limited to the normal number of actions, so it can't, say, manifest a power and attack in the same round.
    Okay, that works.

Currently, the ability is more like a "make a save or take 7d6 damage per round until someone heals you or a minute is up."
    So, just one save at the beginning? Okay, I get it now. Makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I didn't want to make another weapon quality but certainly that would be possible.

If I were doing this properly, a Rusted Weapon would be half the value of a standard weapon and would carry the disease red ache. It's not much.

Debby
    Hm. I'd put on a qualification that a rusty weapon cannot be masterwork, ever, or you run the risk of PCs buying rusty magic weapons to save moolah.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

My entry, the Spectre Breeders, is up and Melyl's Skyclimber Lizard should be following shortly...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Just for you Unsorta, I defined a rusty weapon more clearly in the entry. I hope the new changes work better.

Now on to some PEACHing...

Maltressor is a deceptively powerful little lizard.

Unfortunately, that's what I find wrong with it. At 7 HD, it is simply too overpowered. It needs a lot more HD to justify the power you've given it.

Int 7 with telepathy 100 ft. doesn't make a lot of sense. How is it going to understand creatures with Int higher than it? Rather, give it telepathic bond and make it only affective on animals and magical beasts with Int 6 or lower at that range. Also, this fits better with a psionic creature.

I'm a little confused by the Will save (DC 22) for the Touch of Possession. What is the ability modifier that you used? Also, there is no general dominate spell. It is one of the following dominate animal, dominate person, or dominate monster. Dominate monster is a 9th level spell requiring CL be a minimum of Wiz 17. At 7 HD, this is excessively overpowered.

What is it targeting? Since we know nothing about its prey, this is really difficult to PEACH.

If it is an animal, then touch of possession would be based on dominate animal spell and assuming that Charisma is the ability it is based on the DC would be 19 not 22 (10 + 1/2 creature's HD (+3) + ability modifier (+6). Dominate animal only requires a CL 5 (as a Druid).

If the meltressor actually has to burrow into the host's brain, why doesn't this cause physical damage to the host every round that the maltressor is there? How big is the brain of the host creature that it can withstand that onslaught? It's a Diminutive creature (6 inches minimum and 1/8th lb. minimum).

However, you do not state whether the melfessor physically has to be inside the brain of a creature in order to possess it.

"When a _____ eats a maltressor, the maltressor burrows into the soft palate of the hulking creature, and directly into the brain. This allows them to bypass the deadly stomach acid of the _____. " How does this not cause the host creature physical damage for each round that the maltressor is inside its brain? Is this in any way related to the Touch of Possession? You seem to imply it but it should be directly stated. Also, wouldn't this cause physical damage to the host creature. Would it cause a lowering of the host's Int as well?

The way you word the Touch of Possession isn't clear about how it works. It is vastly different from Demonic Possession say from Book of Vile Darkness or Fiendish Codex(es).

"If the touch attack succeeds, then the maltressor has been able to burrow into the target's mind. While inside of their target's brain, the maltressor cannot be directly attacked, except for mind affecting abilities." There seems to be some text missing as you go from the target's mind (mental) to brain (physical). Mind and Brain are not necessarily synonymous. Ewww. But perhaps more important than this, how does it "burrow into the mind" of the host? Is this a physical burrowing or something else. Some game mechanics should be in order. If it doesn't physically burrow into a creature's brain, then what is the range of this ability. It should be limited by distance from the target.

Next up: Champion of Krav.

I like this one a lot and I generally hate looking at epic creatures.

Full Attack -- missing the ranged attack from the Attack line.

While the skills are correct, it seems kinda odd for an epic creature to have only 2 skills.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-13 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Work In Progress
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skyclimber Lizards are up. I'm not sure on the CR, though...
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

6. - Top - End - #606
    Banned

Nicks
    These things are like a mix between gremlins and christmas elves with a little Grinch mixed in.

Unwanted gift is a pretty cool ability in that you are supposed to use it for the purpose it was made. I could see these guys going around giving out garrotes or explosive and folks going out to choke and blow things up. Specially if this stuff was given to little kids.

"Look what I got, Mommy! A carbine action, two-hundred shot range model!"

*puts eye out*

Share and share alike I can imagine in some romantic comedy. Like a wedding band or a diamond or something that they both want to possess, but while literally sharing life's experiences they fall in love, blah blah blah.

I think you could work this into a serious campaign. Perhaps an urban locale, and they are being used by smugglers or spies to plant evidence on folks and the like.

Twelfth Knight
    It's the spirit of Boxing Day! I believe I remember someone explaining where this came from and why it's called the '12th Knight' but I forget the details.

Basically seems to be a spirit of chaos and contrariness, which can always be fun. I thought at first it would be wholly a joke fellow, but then I thought, what if we let this thing loose in king's castle or equivalent. Jester is now king, king is a lowly fool. Perhaps there is a special extradimensional container that trapped him. A jack-in-a-box lets say, but has been hidden and guarded for the spirit inside trying to level the entire nation by flipping all its rules and positions upside down.

You slowly turn the lever on the side and hear the *thunk* *thunk* *thunk* as inner barriers are raised. Finally the lid springs up and the Knight rears out of it.

Crimson Candyman
    I was intrigued by the concept of this fellow, and am amused with the part where he is candy-striped fiend, but grimmer.

That he loves to gatecrash and party til everyone is dead is a nice touch. The poison is vicious and I much approve. Reminds me somewhat of Zombieland. Everyone just go flesh-crazy.

I'd see no reason why he could appear in practically any event, perhaps celebration of the PC's heroic deeds or whatnot, to tarnish it. Just need to make sure he's introduced so that they don't expect it, cuz it seems everyone is expecting party poopers.

Santa Claws
    I laughed when I read this one, about him pulling out gigantic pieces of coal to hurl. Very clever. Wonder of he could set it on fire beforehand to set forests/villages/PC's on fire? That's be pretty wicked.

Then when they run out of the burning area he can zap them with the cold. I can see a great bit of fun coming of it. Perhaps can also say that the coal is made from the burned embers of those he kills, compressing them with his great strength. Adds a bit of grim to it.

Gingerbread Men
    I believe a creature under this name was actually published by Wizards on their sight or something. Was a baked construct of course. However, these guys are a bit darker.

Basically you made a fiendish Gingy (from Shrek). Fully aware and capable of his own deeds and doings. Not certain you could particularly use this 'seriously', but its not merely a joke creation either.

7. - Top - End - #607

Next up: Champion of Krav.

I like this one a lot and I generally hate looking at epic creatures.

Full Attack -- missing the ranged attack from the Attack line.

While the skills are correct, it seems kinda odd for an epic creature to have only 2 skills.

Debby
    I suppose I should be glad that's the only bits you can find wrong with it.

Anyway, the magma jet is a standard action, so it can't actually be used as part of a full attack. I just put an entry on it in the attack line so I could state the modifier and make sure nobody missed it.

Well, it really doesn't need more than that, is the thing. Fly speed seems to negate a lot of the skills it would otherwise use. It doesn't need a climb speed, or jump, and certainly won't be out swimming... The only reason it has survival is so it can hunt down it's fast-moving preybeast. Though, it's prey generally leaves a pretty wide swath of destruction, so I don't think it would be that much of an issue, anyways.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltressor is a deceptively powerful little lizard.

Unfortunately, that's what I find wrong with it. At 7 HD, it is simply too overpowered. It needs a lot more HD to justify the power you've given it.
    CR is more important than HD. HD represent not its power, but its physical ability to take damage, as well as its experience. CR represents how dangerous it is to opponents. The malressor isn't used to combat, or fighting by itself. It is used to being hit, or killed. It doesn't necessarily live that long, either. It uses others, and this allows it to be powerful.

Int 7 with telepathy 100 ft. doesn't make a lot of sense. How is it going to understand creatures with Int higher than it? Rather, give it telepathic bond and make it only affective on animals and magical beasts with Int 6 or lower at that range. Also, this fits better with a psionic creature.
    I think you have some strange preconceptions about how telepathy works. Telepathy does not necessarily entail that the two users directly give thoughts to each other, especially in this case. As an aberration, the maltressor does not have the kind of mind that would allow it to be able to speak with another person's mind directly in the first place. The maltressor's innate magical ability allows it to translate images and sounds and feelings into a form it is better able to understand and parse. This does not entail intelligence; its mind naturally does it.

I'm a little confused by the Will save (DC 22) for the Touch of Possession. What is the ability modifier that you used? Also, there is no general dominate spell. It is one of the following dominate animal, dominate person, or dominate monster. Dominate monster is a 9th level spell requiring CL be a minimum of Wiz 17. At 7 HD, this is excessively overpowered.
    Check the feats. Ability Focus (Touch of Possession). As for the ability to possess, I am thinking of making it Psionic Dominate, but covering all creature types. As for the overpowered-ness, why exactly?

What is it targeting? Since we know nothing about its prey, this is really difficult to PEACH.
    You kind of have to wait for Vaynor, I can't force him to work faster, and he is working at his own pace.

If the meltressor actually has to burrow into the host's brain, why doesn't this cause physical damage to the host every round that the maltressor is there? How big is the brain of the host creature that it can withstand that onslaught? It's a Diminutive creature (6 inches minimum and 1/8th lb. minimum).
    See my earlier quote:

Any body part. The Touch of Possession is more like the maltressor becoming a form of metaphysical energy and traveling into the target's psyche.

"When a _____ eats a maltressor, the maltressor burrows into the soft palate of the hulking creature, and directly into the brain. This allows them to bypass the deadly stomach acid of the _____. " How does this not cause the host creature physical damage for each round that the maltressor is inside its brain? Is this in any way related to the Touch of Possession? You seem to imply it but it should be directly stated. Also, wouldn't this cause physical damage to the host creature. Would it cause a lowering of the host's Int as well?
    Again, see earlier quote. Burrow in this case is more of a metaphor. The creature does not actually go through the soft palate, but they are able to channel directly into the brain there, making it a lot stronger (the energy that the maltressor converts to doesn't dissipate in the creature). It isn't a large enough difference of strength to be an in game difference.

"If the touch attack succeeds, then the maltressor has been able to burrow into the target's mind. While inside of their target's brain, the maltressor cannot be directly attacked, except for mind affecting abilities." There seems to be some text missing as you go from the target's mind (mental) to brain (physical). Mind and Brain are not necessarily synonymous. Ewww. But perhaps more important than this, how does it "burrow into the mind" of the host? Is this a physical burrowing or something else. Some game mechanics should be in order. If it doesn't physically burrow into a creature's brain, then what is the range of this ability. It should be limited by distance from the target.
    They are synonymous in this case. Again, they touch the target to make a link to their consciousness, and then convert to psychic energy and enter the target's psyche.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Nicks
    These things are like a mix between gremlins and christmas elves with a little Grinch mixed in.
    That's pretty much what I thought of them as.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

CR is more important than HD. HD represent not its power, but its physical ability to take damage, as well as its experience. CR represents how dangerous it is to opponents. The maltressor isn't used to combat, or fighting by itself. It is used to being hit, or killed. It doesn't necessarily live that long, either. It uses others, and this allows it to be powerful.
    The only thing the challenge rating represents is what level the party should be to be an adequate challenge. It is neither more nor less important than any other aspect of creature design.

Also, why couldn't the maltressor be used in combat? You also neglected to mention their short life spans.

I think you have some strange preconceptions about how telepathy works. Telepathy does not necessarily entail that the two users directly give thoughts to each other, especially in this case. As an aberration, the maltressor does not have the kind of mind that would allow it to be able to speak with another person's mind directly in the first place. The maltressor's innate magical ability allows it to translate images and sounds and feelings into a form it is better able to understand and parse. This does not entail intelligence; its mind naturally does it.
    Second, I'm rather insulted that you think my reading skills are inadequate and that I have strange preconceptions how telepathy works. Telepathy is defined in the SRD as thus:

A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Some creatures have a limited form of telepathy, while others have a more powerful form of the ability.
    Since the melfessor has telepathy 100 ft. I figured it should have a language. It has plenty of Int to have one.

Check the feats. Ability Focus (Touch of Possession). As for the ability to possess, I am thinking of making it Psionic Dominate, but covering all creature types. As for the overpowered-ness, why exactly?
    What does the feat have to do with the ability modifier that you left out of your text? You are supposed to have that information in the body of the text.

Upon first reaching the brain of their target, that target must make a Will save (DC 22) or be Psionic Dominated, as the power.
    The next line should read, "The save is X-based and includes a +2 racial modifier." X is the ability it is based on. I have no idea which ability you used because you neglected to mention in the text. Glad you changed it to Psionic Domination as that has a level of Telepath 4. Unfortunately you have only have the maltressor manifesting as a Wilder :-(

In your first paragraph you wrote this:
    When a _____ eats a maltressor, the maltressor burrows into the soft palate of the hulking creature, and directly into the brain. This allows them to bypass the deadly stomach acid of the _____.
    So it physically does burrow into the ___'s brain, unless you left of the word "figuratively" somewhere. If the meltressor is not physically burrowing into the prey's brain then perhaps you should have written it better.

My only problem with Touch of Possession is that it could have been a little clearer such as this:

Touch of Possession (Su): the maltressor may make a melee touch attack as a standard action (with an attack modifier of +12). If the touch attack succeeds, then the maltressor has been able to psychically burrow into the target's mind. While inside of its target's mind, the maltressor cannot be directly attacked by the target, except for mind-affecting abilities.

[This makes it clear that it is psychic attack and not a physical one. However, the maltressor could be still attacked by the target's allies, if it has any. Hence, only the target cannot directly attack the maltressor while possessed so I fixed that as well.]

Upon first reaching the target's mind, that target must make a Will save (DC 22) or be psionic dominated, as the power. The Save is X-based and includes a +2 bonus.

[So again what ability should replace the X in this?]

If the target makes the saving throw, then the maltressor may force the target to make another Will save 1d4 rounds after breaking control.
    During that period, the creature is in control of their body. If a creature makes 3 Will saves in a row, the maltressor is immediately expelled from the creature, unless the host is a _____, that the maltressor has specifically evolved to target. A ____ may not expel the maltressor unless the maltressor reaches 0 hit points, or a DC 30 heal check is made upon the ____. For non___, the maltressor may be removed if the maltressor reaches half hit points or fewer, or if the target receives a DC 30 heal check. This ability is a mind-affecting ability, and not useable on creatures without intelligence.

While the maltressor is dominating a creature, it may still manifest, but is still limited to the regular number of actions in a round.

[These small changes make a big difference]

Creatures with Int of 3 or more can have a language. You may want to consider giving the maltressor a language.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-14 at 02:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Orc in the Playground

There. The beast is complete. Just have to wait on Draken.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn˛ characters!
    Madokapunk!

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

The only thing the challenge rating represents is what level the party should be to be an adequate challenge. It is neither more nor less important than any other aspect of creature design.

Also, why couldn't the maltressor be used in combat? You also neglected to mention their short life spans.
    Yes, and I am not seeing why it should have higher hit dice. Hit dice are not a direct indication of power level, usually. It can be used in combat, sorry if I wasn't clear, I was simply saying that it isn't as good at combat and combat related activities as others with the same CR. Sorry, I think I forgot it. It usually doesn't come into play much, since they usually only live long enough to get their hosts to mate with another ____ and then either kill the host before dying, or just die. I will update the fluff accordingly.

Second, I'm rather insulted that you think my reading skills are inadequate and that I have strange preconceptions how telepathy works. Telepathy is defined in the SRD as thus:

Since the melfessor has telepathy 100 ft. I figured it should have a language. It has plenty of Int to have one.
    I am sorry! I didn't mean to insult you at all!

However, I still don't think that it works like that necessarily for aberrations. The SRD doesn't seem to require that the one with telepathy has to have a language in and of itself. The creature isn't intelligent, it is above sentience certainly, but not close to the intelligence of a human, or very smart humans. Its Telepathy isn't powered by intelligence, but rather by its ability to empathize with others, like an emotional field, but because of its aberrational and magical nature, it can convert thoughts as well. Do you think I should add this to the fluff?

What does the feat have to do with the ability modifier that you left out of your text? You are supposed to have that information in the body of the text.
    Your question seemed to be asking more about how it had the extra bonus, rather than the ability. I will add that in.

The next line should read, "The save is X-based and includes a +2 racial modifier." X is the ability it is based on. I have no idea which ability you used because you neglected to mention in the text. Glad you changed it to Psionic Domination as that has a level of Telepath 4. Unfortunately you have only have the maltressor manifesting as a Wilder :-(
    It is based on Charisma, and I will add that in. As for being Wilder, I don't think an ability that is not based on the maltressor's manifesting needs to be tied to a class. The ability mimics the power, but it doesn't involve actively manifesting it per se.

In your first paragraph you wrote this:

So it physically does burrow into the ___'s brain, unless you left of the word "figuratively" somewhere. If the meltressor is not physically burrowing into the prey's brain then perhaps you should have written it better.
    I will add that in.

My only problem with Touch of Possession is that it could have been a little clearer such as this:

Touch of Possession (Su): the maltressor may make a melee touch attack as a standard action (with an attack modifier of +12). If the touch attack succeeds, then the maltressor has been able to psychically burrow into the target's mind. While inside of its target's mind, the maltressor cannot be directly attacked by the target, except for mind-affecting abilities.

[This makes it clear that it is psychic attack and not a physical one. However, the maltressor could be still attacked by the target's allies, if it has any. Hence, only the target cannot directly attack the maltressor while possessed so I fixed that as well.]

Upon first reaching the target's mind, that target must make a Will save (DC 22) or be psionic dominated, as the power. The Save is X-based and includes a +2 bonus.

[So again what ability should replace the X in this?]

If the target makes the saving throw, then the maltressor may force the target to make another Will save 1d4 rounds after breaking control.
    During that period, the creature is in control of their body. If a creature makes 3 Will saves in a row, the maltressor is immediately expelled from the creature, unless the host is a _____, that the maltressor has specifically evolved to target. A ____ may not expel the maltressor unless the maltressor reaches 0 hit points, or a DC 30 heal check is made upon the ____. For non___, the maltressor may be removed if the maltressor reaches half hit points or fewer, or if the target receives a DC 30 heal check. This ability is a mind-affecting ability, and not useable on creatures without intelligence.

While the maltressor is dominating a creature, it may still manifest, but is still limited to the regular number of actions in a round.

[These small changes make a big difference]
    I will update with your changes, thanks.

Creatures with Int of 3 or more can have a language. You may want to consider giving the maltressor a language.

Debby
    It doesn't really seem like it fits the creature, though. I mean, the maltressor lives deep underground, away from humanity and anything that speaks a language. As a creature, it has no use for a language, and as a monster, it doesn't need it because it isn't needed for balance. It could, but that would make about as much sense as giving Phase Spiders a language.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hey all.

Me and Glyph were working together on the monsters but due to some flooding that has been going on in my house I'm not able to finish it (actually haven't been able to start it) for this competition. Glyph got something sorted out though so I'm sure you will all get to enjoy his entry soon.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

On that note, I need a new partner. My monster's all complete and lacking its intended counterpart, but unfortunately Vorpal has vetoed the idea of me being my own partner. It shows a disturbing lack of understanding towards the nature of non-Euclidean sentiencies, but meh.

Any volunteers? I've got popcorn.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-01-14 at 08:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

The Widow's Weed is here, to strike fear into the shriveled hearts of Liches, Death Knights, and, most importantly, Soldiers of Misfortune.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-15 at 05:27 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

@Unsorta: Phase spiders also don't have telepathy. What works to a greater or lesser extent would be this sentence: Maltressors understand Terran but cannot speak it.

I think Terran is a severely underused language.

Glyph, would an extension of the contest help? VT, I think that this is something that you should consider.

LOTRfan: hit points is missing hp (41 hp); speed is missing squares (4 squares; remove the word "damage" in the Attack lines. I already sent you an emails on this and other suggestions.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-15 at 04:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

If VT will allow it, I'm happy to make the critter for the opposite number of Glyphstone's and then just keep it out of the individual creature voting...

I [unusually] have about 3 days off coming and i'm at a loose end because of impaired fitness...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

18. - Top - End - #618

If it was up to me, I'd just take on the entire thing myself. But I'm told to open it up for a replacement partner first.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Argh, accidentally pressed quote instead of edit on the entry page. Fixed it, though.

Anyways, minor changes have been made to Widow's Weed.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-15 at 05:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If it was up to me, I'd just take on the entire thing myself. But I'm told to open it up for a replacement partner first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    If VT will allow it, I'm happy to make the critter for the opposite number of Glyphstone's and then just keep it out of the individual creature voting...
    I'll leave it up to y'all. If Glyphstone wants to go for it on his own, I won't say a thing.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

@Unsorta: Phase spiders also don't have telepathy. What works to a greater or lesser extent would be this sentence: Maltressors understand Terran but cannot speak it.
    My point was that they were intelligent magical beasts who could not speak a language. And, although terran sort of works, (to a small extent), why exactly would the creature need it from a biological standpoint? Or even use it ever? They wouldn't be speaking to creatures with who spoke terran, they wouldn't be interacting with them. They spend most of their time finding hosts and mating, not speaking.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

My point was that they were intelligent magical beasts who could not speak a language. And, although terran sort of works, (to a small extent), why exactly would the creature need it from a biological standpoint? Or even use it ever? They wouldn't be speaking to creatures with who spoke terran, they wouldn't be interacting with them. They spend most of their time finding hosts and mating, not speaking.
    Forgive me if you mentioned this in your creature entry, but how about allowing them to speak the languages of their host when controlling them?

*thinks of a situation where one of the PCs must allow these things to control him/her so the party can communicate with it*

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Forgive me if you mentioned this in your creature entry, but how about allowing them to speak the languages of their host when controlling them?

*thinks of a situation where one of the PCs must allow these things to control him/her so the party can communicate with it*
    I guess this could work, but that really wouldn't affect how its telepathy functions on a basic scale.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think you need to explain how its basic telepathy works since it isn't standard.

Telepathy works the same for Aberrations as it does for every other creature. The one with the telepathy has to be able "to communicate." Normally, the form of communication is by having a language in common. (Note that Mindlink allows you to bypass the requirement of having a language in common).

If you don't want it to be communication by language, then you have to describe how they communicate. It should be in the fluff and probably in the Special Abilities text under Telepathy. Telepathy is a supernatural ability.

Telepathy (Su): a maltressor can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the maltressor if it wishes—no common language is needed.

This wording is from the Couatl entry in the SRD but it would also work for the maltressor.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-15 at 11:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you need to explain how its basic telepathy works since it isn't standard.

Telepathy works the same for Aberrations as it does for every other creature. The one with the telepathy has to be able "to communicate." Normally, the form of communication is by having a language in common. (Note that Mindlink allows you to bypass the requirement of having a language in common).
    Except that the description that you linked for Telepathy doesn't require that the creature have a language. It requires that the target does, but not the one initiating. Simply because all creatures who have Telepathy have a language doesn't necessarily mean that all creatures who have Telepathy need a language.

Telepathy (Su): a maltressor can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the maltressor if it wishes—no common language is needed.

This wording is from the Couatl entry in the SRD but it would also work for the maltressor.

Debby
    That is good! Thanks!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626

I begin to grow concerned. I haven't heard from Centuriancode in a couple days...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I begin to grow concerned. I haven't heard from Centuriancode in a couple days...
    Well, be concerned no longer. He posted the basics of his creature this morning. It looks cool, but kinda big (30 ft. by 200 ft.?). I eagerly await the finished beast.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-16 at 08:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I have to say this because it may impact the voting. I generally help everyone who enters this contest by editing and critiquing each entry. We seem to be getting more and more entries with each contest (yay!) and the quality is much improved (double yay!) but there are some issues with this.

First, the time crunch is killing me, especially since this time I actually entered this contest. I just don't have time to read the later entries and give them as much feedback as the earlier ones. Now, that's just timing and it hasn't been too much of a problem until the last 2 contests.

People want feedback and could use the help. VT caught a lot of minor stat block errors after the contest even after I tried to go through them. I realize now, that I just can't get to every monster. It's not fair to the people who post later since they don't get the benefit of my response. Also, I sometimes don't say much if there isn't a problem. I don't judge the writer, only the creation (and sometimes the writing). I firmly believe that every monster should be as good as it can be for this contest.

Second, I really don't much care to critique epic creatures. I see a wall of numbers and just want to cry. It's a lot of work to critique an epic creature; and it is work that I don't really enjoy. It's not fair to the people who post epic creatures. I've generally avoided critiquing epic creatures, by passing that job to VT. Unfortunately, this gives epic creatures the short end of the stick as neither of us is getting to them in a timely fashion.

Least you think this is ploy for sympathy, it's not. It's a way of judging how fair the contest is. So I'm asking for some feedback here. So here are my questions.

• How fair has the contest been?
    • How can I make the editing and critiquing process better?
    • Is there something you'd like me to do that I haven't done?
    • Are there things I consistently do that get on your nerves?
    • Is anyone else willing to help with this?

Be honest. This is a subjective question so go with your gut response. I promise that I am wearing my big girl flame-retardant undies, but please keep your responses PG13.

As for me, I would LOVE to see more participants in this process. We can all learn from each other.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-16 at 10:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Banned

I think you've been doing great Debi and I definitely appreciate your help.

I usually send my critiques through a message so even when it looks like I've not said a word, I just did privately.

My main problem of late however is that the weather has been insane and knocking out power in the midst of critiques.

Everything is clean though, so if your creation is done, not just bare bones, and you haven't been critiqued yet, let me know and I'll go over it. Those already critiqued will also be looked at as time permits.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-16 at 11:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630

If no one else objects, then, I'll shoulder the creation of my opposing number and finish it up today. That's probably the best way to preserve the original vision of myself and Mangles' creatures anyways.