New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

So, is there going to be a contest for August?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. I may have free time finally.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, wow, voting ended. I missed that entirely.

Glad I got to flex my prose muscle.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Yes, been trying to post it for days. Storms are whacking out my net. Is posted now.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-08-05 at 10:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Booo storms!

Ooh mirrors...I can have fun with this...
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Having been watching a Let's Play of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, I just may enter a creature that feeds on defuse sunlight (IE standing in the same room as has a spot of sunlight in it), but which is harmed by more focused sunlight (such as someone standing in that patch of sun and reflecting the light onto it with a mirror).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #67

Huh, 2 weeks off of college, an open contest. Might enter again.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking of making a Dragon native to the Mirror Plane. Is it okay to base it off of the True Dragon statistics, or do you want more differentiation?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I'm thinking of making a Dragon native to the Mirror Plane. Is it okay to base it off of the True Dragon statistics, or do you want more differentiation?
    However you want to do it is fine. Draconimicon has true dragons from each plane, though none from the Plane of Mirrors, so please feel free.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

With a theme of Through the Looking Glass I am really tempted to enter a Alice in wonderland themed monster.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    With a theme of Through the Looking Glass I am really tempted to enter a Alice in wonderland themed monster.
    Twas' Brillig in the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

The Jabberwock!!
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

VT, do you still want me to Edit and Critique each entry? I don't mind doing so but you should state it in the contest that this will be done as per your request.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Is my idea about a creature vulnerable to having light reflected onto it a good one or not?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Is my idea about a creature vulnerable to having light reflected onto it a good one or not?
    I'm curious to see how you make the crunch work. Were I to fight such a thing, I would just cast light spells rather than go to the trouble of reflecting light.

15. - Top - End - #75

Here it is.

I'm not quite sure about the CR, calculator puts it at just barely 4 CR, but at least one of his special abilities are more specific versions of the Anamorphic Arrows, and a few others aren't very useful to a monster.

As for LA, I had it at one, but I realized that a lot of the abilities are fairly powerful, so I put it up at two.

The Legend of TheLogMan

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Man this is a fun idea for a monster. I plan to make a creature that is the remains of a person who never existed. Sometimes when a person is retroactively unmade, their reflection somehow is overlooked. In these cases the reflections, lacking anything to follow, take on a life of their own. Being fairly annoyed at not having a body, they try to steel those of other reflections, which if successful, makes that reflection into a lesser version. When the being with the replaced reflection dies, the true ones end up stuck again, causing their to be a slowly increasing number of them. The easiest way to stop one is to cover up the mirrors nearby as they can interact with anything that isn't reflected (complete darkness would also work). Not quite sure what the effects of having your reflection replaced would be yet though...

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    I'm curious to see how you make the crunch work. Were I to fight such a thing, I would just cast light spells rather than go to the trouble of reflecting light.
    Same reasons those spells don't have the same effect on a vampire as sunlight.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Same reasons those spells don't have the same effect on a vampire as sunlight.
    That makes sense, but would reflected light from a spell work? Or does it need to be natural in origin?

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    That makes sense, but would reflected light from a spell work? Or does it need to be natural in origin?

Owrtho
    Sunlight, reflected or not as long as it is concentrated. The twist is that they require long periods of exposure to DEFUSE sunlight.

In case it helps:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Entry for *Daylight*
    Despite its name, this spell is not the equivalent of daylight for the purposes of creatures that are damaged or destroyed by bright light.
    And mere Light would be even less than that of course and the exact wording of Searing Light makes it not particularly effective (but I may need to state this in the description for clarity).

Sunbeam and Sunburst would do the trick... which means I need to keep its CR down low enough that that would be the highest level spell the cleric or Sorcerer/Wizard could cast, thus making it a significant expenditure of party resources and/or unlikely to be prepared. Since that works out to 14th level, I don't think that will be an onerous constraint, although I probably want to go lower than that so to keep the band in which such creatures can be used (especially in larger numbers) wider.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Creatures that are native to the Plane of Mirrors should have the Extraplanar subtype and Plane of Mirrors should be listed as the Environment.

The Girl in the Mirror should have Extraplanar listed as her subtype and Plane of Mirrors as her environment.

Her hit points are wrong. 5X8 +10 = (5 x 4.5 = 22.5 ) +10 = 32.5 and you always round down so her total hit points are 32, not 35.

Her AC should be noted as follows--
    Armor Class: 12 (+2 Dex), Touch 12, Flat-footed 10

A Special Ability is either extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural in nature. You should designate them.

Poke would be Extraordinary and it should probably do non-lethal damage. It should probably not be "very deadly" as mentioned in the text, just very annoying. Doing one point of damage is hardly deadly.

Unseen is probably Spell-like in nature. It is the Prime Material Plane not martial plane where she exists.

Chill is probably Supernatural in nature. It is a drop in temperature (although "With a drop in temptress" was amusing).

Laugh seems to be Supernatural . If so, it should have a DC 15 to avoid the effect. (10 +1/2 creature's HD + Cha modifier) 10 +2 +3 = 15. How long does the fear effect last? I'd recommend that it be 5 rounds. I'd also recommend that she be able to do this 3/day rather than every 5 minutes. 5 minutes is too long to be useful in combat.

Balloon pop is similar to a death throes effect and should probably be Supernatural in nature.

As a reminder: See the Knowledge Skill for explanation of lore checks. 10 + Creature's HD for a starting base and increase by 10.

For online help this site is fantastic: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

If you use material that is NOT open content you should cite to it. Darkstalker feat is not open content and can be found in Lords of Madness.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-08-10 at 09:39 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... my life just got REALLY nuts for the next week... almost no chance of an entry now...
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

VT, I"m not sure the newbies are aware that I am reviewing the entries. Perhaps I should put this on hold until I get some feedback as to whether this is wanted or not.

Debby

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

@Debihuman: Once I get my entry up, I certainly wouldn't mind the help.

In any case, my summer job just ended, so I should be able to finish up my entry soon.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like a fair critique as well for my entry, you do pretty good evaluations, and I probably messed up the stats again.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Okay, I'll review the entries as I can. Ack. I was editing this post and lost it.

Chiralite

Con modifier is applied to every HD for hit points. It has a Con of 17 so it gets 3 bonus hit points for each HD for a total of +9.

Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)

Attack lines are wrong. You forgot size modifier. Only magical bonuses should be the number before the weapon. I assume the numbers are for the ranged and melee attacks. Bows have a Str penalty but not a Str bonus, except composite bows. You also forgot the Size modifier for attacks.

Attack: Small Longbow +7 ranged (1d6-1) or Small Shortsword +3 melee (1d4-1)

The racial bonus to Hide isn't mentioned in any of the Special Abilities and that's where it should be noted.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-08-14 at 10:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Creatures that are native to the Plane of Mirrors should have the Extraplanar subtype and Plane of Mirrors should be listed as the Environment.
    Rules say is just has to have a special link to mirrors. Not native to Plane of Mirrors so not Extraplanar. Nor is it their environment.

The Girl in the Mirror should have Extraplanar listed as her subtype and Plane of Mirrors as her environment.
    See above.

Her hit points are wrong. 5X8 +10 = (5 x 4.5 = 22.5 ) +10 = 32.5 and you always round down so her total hit points are 32, not 35.
    I gave her max at first beacuse thats how PC's do it. Fixin'

Her AC should be noted as follows--
    Armor Class: 12 (+2 Dex), Touch 12, Flat-footed 10
    Cool

A Special Ability is either extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural in nature. You should designate them.
    Wasn't done yet so I was getting to it.

Poke would be Extraordinary and it should probably do non-lethal damage. It should probably not be "very deadly" as mentioned in the text, just very annoying. Doing one point of damage is hardly deadly.
    If you were a commoner with only 10 HP and can be killed with 20 pokes its deadly.

Unseen is probably Spell-like in nature. It is the Prime Material Plane not martial plane where she exists.
    Fixin'

Chill is probably Supernatural in nature. It is a drop in temperature (although "With a drop in temptress" was amusing).
    Hating auto checker right about know.

Laugh seems to be Supernatural . If so, it should have a DC 15 to avoid the effect. (10 +1/2 creature's HD + Cha modifier) 10 +2 +3 = 15. How long does the fear effect last? I'd recommend that it be 5 rounds. I'd also recommend that she be able to do this 3/day rather than every 5 minutes. 5 minutes is too long to be useful in combat.
    Need to change the time but every five minutes is so its not combat useful.

Balloon pop is similar to a death throes effect and should probably be Supernatural in nature.
    Thats the bases of it.

As a reminder: See the Knowledge Skill for explanation of lore checks. 10 + Creature's HD for a starting base and increase by 10.
    I know, I just haven't finished it yet.

For online help this site is fantastic: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm
    I know of the site.

If you use material that is NOT open content you should cite to it. Darkstalker feat is not open content and can be found in Lords of Madness.

Citin'

VT, I"m not sure the newbies are aware that I am reviewing the entries. Perhaps I should put this on hold until I get some feedback as to whether this is wanted or not.
    Been running around too much to check up on it.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    Rules say is just has to have a special link to mirrors. Not native to Plane of Mirrors so not Extraplanar. Nor is it their environment.
    First, any Outsider that isn't Native should have the Extraplanar subtype. What plane is your outsider from? That should be its environment. Sure it can be encountered elsewhere, but unless it is Native to the Prime plane, it has the Extraplanar subtype. I didn't say it HAD to be native to the Plane of Mirrors, but your entry suggested it. I thought it was an oversight. If it is native to the prime material plane, it should have the Native subtype.

If you were a commoner with only 10 HP and can be killed with 20 pokes its deadly.
    A cat claw can be deadly too, but it generally isn't. Normally, the text should reflect the stat block. Fix poke to reflect the text or vice versa. That's all I'm saying. If the poke is meant to be either lethal or non-lethal then list them both correctly in the attack lines. That was all I was suggesting.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-08-14 at 10:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Okay, I'll review the entries as I can. Ack. I was editing this post and lost it.

Chiralite

Con modifier is applied to every HD for hit points. It has a Con of 17 so it gets 3 bonus hit points for each HD for a total of +9.

Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)

Attack lines are wrong. You forgot size modifier. Only magical bonuses should be the number before the weapon. I assume the numbers are for the ranged and melee attacks. Bows have a Str penalty but not a Str bonus, except composite bows. You also forgot the Size modifier for attacks.

Attack: Small Longbow +7 ranged (1d6-1) or Small Shortsword +3 melee (1d4-1)

The racial bonus to Hide isn't mentioned in any of the Special Abilities and that's where it should be noted.

Debby
    Its Con is 13, not 17, hit points are accurate.

I did forget the size modifiers, I just corrected for those.

The Ranged attack is using Anamorphic Arrows, which are noted for dealing an additional point of slashing damage, which is why the damage is 1d6 and not 1d6-1, I will change that to make it more clear.

The Racial Hide bonus is mentioned in the Hide in Plain Sight Special Ability, but I did forget the size bonus on the Hide Check, I will change that to reflect the +4 bonus for small size.
    Last edited by TheLogman; 2010-08-14 at 12:11 PM.

The Legend of TheLogMan

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

This is for Nanobot Swarm

My corrections are in red. One thing that really unbalances this is that you list CR as 9 for a 4 HD creature. That's not a good thing. It is overpowered in some areas and underpowered in others making this a really unbalanced monster. It can deal a lot of damage but most likely the targets will make the saves because it has such low stats. This means that it's low hit points make it very easy to kill.

If it cannot grapple, you should state it. I can't tell from the entry if you meant it or not. Even oozes can grapple so there really isn't a reason that this creature cannot grapple.

You gave it Hover but forgot Fly speed

Reflector of the Infinite
    Medium Outsider Native or Extraplanar depending on its home plane
    Hit Dice: 4d8-12 (6 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares) [missing fly speed and maneuverability]
    Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dexterity), 11 touch, 10 flat-footed
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-2
    Attack: -
    Full Attack: -
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Mental Overload, Counter-Laser, Counter-Warp
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft. Spell resistance, Silence
    Saves: Fort + 4, Ref + 5, Will +4
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 15, Con 5, Int 15, Wis 6, Cha 1
    Skills: None
    Feats: Hover and 1 more feat
    Environment: Home plane should be listed here
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Neutral
    Advancement: 5-6 (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: -

Mental Overload (Ex): What is the DC of the Will save? It should be based on one of the creature's abilities. If it is Intelligence based, the DC is 14.

Counter-Laser also needs a DC 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + ability modifier. This is probably too powerful for a 4 HD creature. Save versus death isn't a lot of fun for anyone. I'd recommend that it be 10d10 points of damage with a successful save for half damage. This is probably an Extraordinary ability as well.

Counter-Warp is Spell-like in nature based on Plane Shift but the only plane would be the Plane of Mirrors. The creature's low charisma really hurts it here. The save is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. 10 +7 -5 = DC 12.

Debby

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

You say it would be too weak to be a real challange, how should I increase the stats so that it is more of a challange, but not something unfair.
    Also the reason it cannot grapple, is that it has no physical means to do so, as the body is a mirror that the creature possesses and reshapes into a monolith form.