Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The times are a-changing IC

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Done.

Recent times in our fair country have been turbulent. Ever since Meo Galviorri discovered that the earth is round over 50 years ago, people have been thinking more scientifically. Various churches have taken a knock, but most have bounced back and belief is rife again.

Magicians, on the other hand, have had a rough time. The churches openly denounced them on november 13th 1204, 45 years ago. The peasants, drunk with scientific and religious hope, refused to let the wizards run their lives anymore; for it had been that peasants would work hard for a witch or mage in return for food. There have been riots.

Our great landlocked nation of Jandria, on the plain temperate soil of the east contenant, has been most welcoming towards the exodus of evicted wizards. Although the poor classes fought against them numerous times, the wizards managed to defend themselves until the invention of gunpowder in 1219, 30 years ago. Many of our country's valuable magic agents were wiped out, leaving us open to invasion from the west.

Pengorr attacked in 1221 and took over a sizeable amount of land, but in 1225, after a long process of training, our forces took it back with interest. This was a great success for King Jonn, who was still early in his rule.

King Jonn was the first monarch in the recorded history of Jandria who cared for the wellbeing of the street-dwellers, the poor, and the destitute. He made certain that the prosperity gained from the counter-invasion would be given to those who needed it most. By 1240, most cities had a university, taught by some of the finest scientists of our land and abroad.

King Jonn is now dead. Upon his death in 1243, the public was given no news of the circumstances, just the knowlege that he had passed. Some groups suspect the aristocracy had him assassinated, or perhaps it was the wizards. Perhaps he died of illness, who can say?

As King Jonn left no heir, Jandria is now lead by the de facto leader Albert Hawken, a senior advisor to King Jonn. Albert was called for in Jonn's last will, some whisper. Tensions are still high between the peasants, now called the "public" and the wizards, and there is still a feud between the wizards and the churches. Pengorr reopened trade routes with Jandria a year after King Jonn died.

Science continues to roll on, advancements are being made slowly but surely. The march of enlightenment can't be stopped, and it's leading us all into the light.

The dawn of a brave new world.

You are in a small town, a stone's throw away from the Capital city, Alford.
    What you are doing is up to you:

There is a bar, a few farms that sell food to the local population and a few houses.

Who are you and what are you doing in this town?
    Last edited by npc revolution; 2010-07-05 at 04:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: The times are a-changing IC

Derti stumbles into town after a long day on the road. He surveys it for a bit, then walks into the tavern. He scales a bar stool, and shouts in a high pitched-voice ""Barkeep! I wanna mug of your best dwarven ale and the best food you have to order and I'll be paying through performing, thanks! And make it fast!"

Without being responded too, Derti hops down, goes to a corner, pulls out his bagpipes, and begins to tune them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Lori Tapan, tired and thirsty from the long road, ties her wolf to a post next to the tavern. Sorry, Howler, but they probably don't allow your kind in there. True to his name, the wolf howl softly and lowers his head. Remember what happened last time when I insisted? I'd rather not have a repeat. Just be a good wolf and stay. I'll get you a treat.

She enters the bar, and notices the gnome tuning his bagpipes. This better be good. She climbs on a high stool by the bar, and orders a pitcher of beer and some nuts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Dean has been in the bar for an hour, having filled an entire table with research. His spellbook lies open on one corner, notes stuffed between the pages - though the vast majority of them are scattered across the table surface, a sea of ink and paper, its surface always shifting as he constantly rearranges them. Passages are crossed out, additions written in whatever margins he can find. Every so often he leans back to take in the whole picture, looking for any little connections he missed. He pulls out a fresh piece of paper and-

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The tavern suddenly resonates in a high pitched scream, perhaps of a duck being murdered very slowly. Dean's eyes flick up to identify the disturbance. On the chair next to him, a small cat frees it's head from the curl of sleep and examines the tavern as well, bleary-eyed.

eeeeeeEEEEEeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee. Bagpipes. EEEEEEE

Dean stares at this disturbance in gnome form for a moment and then drops back to his notes, attempting to push through the distraction. EEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEE The off-key whistle forcibly snakes through his ears, destroying anything resembling concentration. Dean frowns. The cat stares with a silent, passive displeasure clear in its face. The bagpipes EEEEE.

"Uh...hey! HEY!" Dean shouts through the mess of noise. "Is there anywhere else you could be doing that?"
    Last edited by Heatwizard; 2010-06-24 at 09:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Misrahi sits quietly in the corner of the bar, sipping from a glass of water, trying awkwardly to drink while keeping her lower face covered by her long silver scarf. She has been traveling for months to complete the final tests to end her apprenticeship under Master van der Roue, providing aid to the poor and the needy along the way. She is excited to begin working independently, but at the same time, she cannot help but feel tired and homesick.

She is just barely drifting off, when the sound of the bagpipes begin blaring in her ears. Immediately, she jumps to her feet, axe and shield at hand. Without thinking, she grabs the couple sitting at the table next to her and pulls them behind her.

"Don't worry! Stay behind me, and the monster won't be able to get close! I promise you..."

Seeing the gnome on the bagpipes, she glances back at the couple's irked faces. Sheepishly, she leads them back to their seats, and then sits back down, wishing she could become invisible.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The barman, a stout man, bounds over to Derti.

"Would ya' mind either quietnin' down or takin' it outside?"

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGirl

Lori tries to draw the barkeep's attention, without separating herself from her beer, if possible.

Excuse me good man, I was quite looking forward to the performance! Why don't you leave the gnome alone?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

"He's disturbing the other drinkers, m'lady..."

The man seems confused as to how he should handle this.

He turns back to Derti:
    "Perraps you could wait until the evening when everyone's got a drink in 'em?"
    Last edited by npc revolution; 2010-06-30 at 01:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Recognizing a chance to save face, Misrahi approaches the three at the front of the bar.

"Excuse me gentlemen, but I am a registered Paladin of the order of Bahamut." She briefly flashes her badge, not wanting it to be apparent that she has technically not yet ended her apprenticeship. "Now, there isn't any trouble here I hope? I'm sure we can all manage to solve this in a peaceful manner."
    Campaign:

Characters:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh for the love of Cuthbert...
    Look miss, it's all being sorted out. No need to whip out the holy law on anyone. It's like I was telling the hippie chick, the gnome can't play until everyone's drunk because he plain can't play.

11. - Top - End - #11

Feeling dejected, Misrahi shrinks back a moment. "Well..I..um.." but then thinks to herself, Remember what your master told you. Your job demands respect. But to get that respect, you must show that you deserve it.

She puts on a brave face.

"Now excuse me sir, but I am simply doing my job to try and maintain the peace. Now, if you do not require my help, feel free to say so, but just let it be stated that your rude behavior is totally unnecessary. "

She gives a curt bow and turns to Derti.

"And sir, if you require my assistance, I am happy to help."

She gets up and begins to return to her table.
    Campaign:

Characters:

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGirl

Lori

Well, you all heard the man. The sooner you get drunk, the sooner you all get to listen to the performance. Which, I'm sure, is going to be just marvelous. Can't go wrong with bagpipes.

She takes a swig from her beer.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Dean sighed. That was all the work he'd be getting done for today, he supposed. He scooped up all his notes and shoved them into the pages of his spellbook, which came with him over to the bar. "One of whatever's good, then, I guess." He unpocketed a few silvers.
    Last edited by Heatwizard; 2010-07-01 at 04:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfClericGuy

Derti takes a deep breath and looks like he's about to complain, then stops. "Sure, I guess. No appreciation for the bagpipes they really are magnificent and where is my food? I'll play after I eat, heh heh heh".

Derti moves towards Lori and sits next to her.

"Hi! My name is Derti! Nice to meet a fellow lover of the majestic bagpipes, thanks for sticking up for them, they really are wonderful don't you tihnk?" he blurts out in one breath before taking a long drink from the nearest ale (his or not).

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGirl

Lori smiles at Derti.

Nice to meet you too, I'm Lori Tapan, from Stittlewood Grove. My uncle was a bagpipes player. I remember that, as a little girl, I used to sit on his knees when he played. Mother always objected. She said, "You'll make the girl deaf," she always did. And you know, it did almost get me deaf in one ear, but it was worth it. Can't buy memories like these.

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Derti looks mildly surprised as he takes another drink. "You're actually talking to me. Even with the smell? Very exciting. What brings you to this neck of the wood, if ya don't mind me asking?"

Derti turns to Misrahi without hardly drawing breath "And you, by the way, also thanks although I'm sure with all the holy preamble and all that you weren't really doin' it for me. Helps' help though. Names Derti it's great to meet ya why don't ya sit down with me and Lori here and have a drink or does Bahamut you said? Forbid that?

17. - Top - End - #17

Misrahi has a seat next to Derti. She smiles, although it is hard to see through the scarf.

"What? No! I mean, of course it's my job and all, but why do you think I became a Paladin to begin with? It upsets me to see others fight. If that wasn't the case, I'd be doing something else. Please don't get the impression that all Paladins are uptight snobs. We like people, and we want to help out, at least that's what I can say from experience."

"That's really sweet." she says to Lori. "I rather miss my guardians. I remember, when I was little, maybe fourteen or so, Master Ix would let me ride on his back, and he'd fly around the countryside. You could see the tops of the largest towers from up there, and just get a sense of how big and expansive everything was, you know?"

She pulls up her cup of water.

"I think I'm ok in the drinks department, but thank you for inviting me to your table. I'm Misrahi. Misrahi Laroux."
    Campaign:

Characters:

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGirl

You probably meant to say, what bring me out of the woods, seeing as it's the first time in three years I leave Stittlewood. Well, there's only so many goblin intruders a Junior Guardian can slaughter before it becomes repetitive. So after my tour was up, I asked the Grove Elders for a sabbatical, and not a moment after my request was approved, me and Howler were on the road. Which reminds me .. Lori quickly pockets a handful of peanuts before continuing. I just want to see as much of the world as possible. Never been to one of 'dem big cities.

And miss, she turns to Misrahi, forgive me for asking but are you a real Paladin? I never met a real Paladin before. What's it like to be one?

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfClericGuy

Derti begins stuffing his face, nodding politely. "Mm, trust me, can't be a real paladin. Real paladins are all 'Derti, quiet down' and 'Derti, find a new partner' and 'Derti, why did you bring this entire warren of savage kobolds down upon us oh Gods why?'. And they tend to be all high and mighty. She seems too nice. Err, no offense lass.' and

20. - Top - End - #20

She gets a little pale at Lori's first comment, "I have never been to Stittlewood though. How long has this trouble with goblins been going on? Surely there is some way of coming to a compromise without all this slaughter that you speak of."

She then turns to address Derti "I'm...not even sure how to properly respond to that." says Misrahi, "But I swear, I'm an honest to goodness Paladin! I have my badge and everything!" She passes over her badge, temporarily forgetting that it has "APPRENTICE PALADIN" etched in big silver letters. "Well, we all live in the monastery of the order of Bahamut, up north, you see. Been living there since I was a teenager. Although I..we don't spend much of of our time there. Mostly how it works is that we act as journeymen, traveling around, just trying to help the poor and the needy, aid in political negotiations, really just try and help people who need it."

"But actually, I was on my way back to the monastery. I haven't been there in months, but I will be good to be home, you know?"
    Campaign:

Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGirl

Pfeh, these goblins have been pestering the grove with their raids for generations. No good marauders, the lot of them, and completely disrespectful to nature at that. Them want us dead and robbed, we want to live an' keep our possessions, not a lot of room for compromise between those points of view, y'know.

22. - Top - End - #22

"There is always a reason for these things. Perhaps there has been a food shortage, or the goblins have been driven from their previous lands. I can't say that I know. But still, I was always taught that it is bet to learn the circumstances behind something."
    Campaign:

Characters:

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGirl

Lori snorts over her beer.

Reason!? Dem are goblins, dearie. They need no reason to pillage and plunder, they're evil down to their little fragile bones.

But look at me, I took a sabbatical to get away from the grove, and all I can talk about is more of the same. Need to learn to unwind.

She takes another swig.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Uh, Knowledge(Nature) check for...long-term goblin behavioral patterns?
    (1d20+4)[8]
    EDIT: Damn. I almost had something relevant to say.
    Last edited by Heatwizard; 2010-07-03 at 07:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfClericGuy

"Goblins! Feh. Goblins are no differen' than anyone else. Which is to say, Miss Lori is right and they just wanna kill people and take their stuff. 'Course, you're also right that you can't carry that whole killing people thing around with ya, or it will eat you up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bardic Knowledge check on Bahamut, before I open my mouth.
    (1d20+2)[14]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Derti's Bardic knowledge results:

Spoiler
    Show
    Bahamut is the god of good dragons, pretty strict, they say that there is a related god for evil dragons.

The dragon faiths have stood strong during the political trouble, there are just as many, if not more followers now.
    Last edited by npc revolution; 2010-07-04 at 10:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGirl

Lori turns to the bookish fellow at the next table, who seems to be following their conversation. He seems smart, someone who can talk about something other than goblin slaughtering.

Greetings sir, it seems that we have captured your interest. Why don't you join us?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dean/Heatwizard, that would be you
    Last edited by Lin Bayaseda; 2010-07-05 at 11:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

"Well," Dean leans in toward the conversation a little, "It strikes me as less then regular behavior for goblins to spend generations in one spot; they tend to move around. It makes me wonder what encouraged them to settle in. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they were camped out on something important to them; probably something of religious significance, given that they haven't elected to take it with them. But I'm not an expert on goblins...just hearsay and conjecture." He shrugs.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGirl

Darn right they have discovered something important to them. They have discovered our fields, pastures and barns. But I swear, enough about that. I'm on sabbatical.

You seem like an educated man, sir. Do you know any news from the capital? How's the new king?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

"That's not really what I...hrm." He let the topic drop.

"Hawken? He's..." Dean sighs. "I just went to the capital. I heard someone was trying to establish an arcane research center within the city limits, so I wanted to see it for myself; turns out everyone threw a tantrum, and Hawken shut down the project so he could look good in front of everyone. It's a damn shame."