New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: In The Eye of the Storm - Part 2 (IC)

(You'll need to find somewhere else to make your pact - the wagons are full, either of cargo (covered in a cloth tarp) or guards (one per wagon, two on the supply wagon) - or just say you ended up binding Malphas earlier this morning. You can be riding on the frontboard of the wagon, but there's no space to do anything secretive.)

(Seff reminded me - your fees were retroactively negotiated to 5 GP/day, with a 35 GP "signing bonus.")

(Arabaytin is roughly a week's walk, so probably a week and a half at caravan speed.)

The supply wagon, Hallnsfarth finds, is loaded with foodstuffs, spare wagon parts, and various other sundries. Weapons are sparse - there is a pile or spare crossbow bolt cases and a few crossbows, but that's it. Each of the stock guards for the caravan is wearing a scale mail shirt, and carrying a sword and crossbow.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

{OOC: Holy cow! this thread is alive again!}

Trillian

Trillian urges his mount forward into the distance and starts searching for anything that is out of the ordinary. In particular, he is looking for traps, or people who are hiding.

{OOC: Glyph, I'm hoping I get some pretty decent Synergy style bonuses for those two things.}
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

3. - Top - End - #153

(Where are you getting synergy bonuses from?)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Glyph, there also were clauses beyond the direct gold, that we gain bonuses for things that might be seen as extra, that we have basically all of thier mundane gear at our disposal, that they'll pay for foods and such for us and our mounts, etc)

Hallnsfarth

After setting up the party's locations, Hallnsfarth plays his wand-like object of detect magic over the entire caravan one wagon at a time, finding out what's magic in each, and what school of magic each is from.

[hr]
    Spellcraft (keep forgetting it's not spellcraft. 1 knowledge arcana check/wagon to find what magic items are in each.

Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=12)
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=13)
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=12)
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=25)
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=19)
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=15)
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2006-11-12 at 08:45 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Assuming that the caravan is going at a slow enough pace that this is reasonable:[/ooc]

Maddock falls behind for a couple of minutes, goes just off the road, makes his pact, sends the bird ahead to do his lookout until he gets there, and runs to catch up, upon which he resumes the rest of the plan.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2006-11-12 at 03:32 PM. Reason: 87
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Surd

Surd nods at Hallns's directions, taking the last wagon. He nods at Chase's words, even putting his finger up to his lips as if to reiterate that he knows to keep the past encounter a secret.

He travels near the back of the last wagon, keeping his senses keen, but also whistling (terribly) while he does so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

7. - Top - End - #157

{OOC: Spot Check and Search Check for scouting with the caravan. (1d20+-1=12, 1d20+9=25)
    Add +2 Synergy bonus to Spot for total of 14.

Listen Check for Caravan (1d20+1=2)}

Apparently, trillian has his iPod on at max volume, listening to 'Smooth Criminal' rather than listening for anyone out on the road.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2006-11-15 at 08:37 AM.
    The Tangled Web

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

RTST(Ready To Skip Time)
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    RTST(Ready To Skip Time)
    Yeah, I'm in agreement.

10. - Top - End - #160

(Technically, Seff, you can't use the wand, Detect Magic isn't on your class list...but it doesn't really matter here, so I'll let it slide for now. Yes, I know you used it before, that was a screwup.)

Hallnsfarth finds that each of the wagon tops glows with a very faint aura of abjuration magic, though nothing else radiates power except the party's gear, and a scroll case that is recognizable as having belonged to Dozo Li - how it got into one of the wagons is a mystery.

(PM issued to Asmo - when I get a response, this will update further.)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: When you realized it didn't work as a wand, you told me it was a wondrous magic item. I've been using it as such)

12. - Top - End - #162

(Hm - okay, we'll do that. )

Trillian, roaming ahead of the caravan, is keeping a sharp lookout for any sign of hostiles or other danger.

Fortunately, he doesn't see any hostiles.
    Unfortunately, the hostiles see him.

As he rides past a particularly large tree some thirty feet ahead of the rest of the train, he hears the snapping of a branch. This is followed by many just like it, and a single thunderous crash, as the tree comes crashing down behind him, sending branches and splinters everywhere - and a pair of crossbow bolts whistle harmlessly past his head.

Now that they are no longer hiding, the halfling can see the trio of humanoid shapes lurking in the shadows, two still holding their crossbows and the third brandishing a large battle-axe.

Init rolls (need new sheet links, BTW:
    Marcaus: 20+Init
    Maddock: 18+Init
    Surd: 15+Init
    Hallnsfarth: 14+Init
    Cleric: 12+Init
    Trillian: 4+Init

Please hold off on actions till I know who's going in what order, and have a decent map sketched out...post sheet links OOC.

13. - Top - End - #163

(Nothing.)

Marcaus: 20
    Maddock: 22
    Surd: 18
    Hallnsfarth: 17
    Bandits: 17
    Cleric: 11
    Trillian: 9

(Okay, let's try the method suggested a while back by Asmo - I need actions from Maddock, Marcaus, and Hallnsfarth (I'll NPC Surd to the best of my power), then the bandits will go and we'll "roll over".)

Rough sketch of the area, I'm building a map:
    [code]
    T__A__T
    b=====bb
    T_____T
    T_oHM_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_____T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_____T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_____T
    T_oSo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_____T
    T_oFo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_____T
    T_oCo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_ooo_T
    T_____T

T = treeline, A = Trillian/Asmo, H = H-bomb, b = bandits, o = wagons (sort of). S = Surd, M = Marcaus, C = Chase, F = Foster.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2006-11-23 at 06:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Is Trillian close enough to us that the party would know to respond without Maddock's bird?[/ooc]

15. - Top - End - #165

(Yes - the massive tree toppling into the middle of the road with a huge CRASH is a sign that something happened - though keep in mind you might not have line of sight to the bandits and Trillian.)

(Everyone's position is edited in.)

16. - Top - End - #166

(uhh- yeah, didn't I list you?)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I thought Marcaus and Surd had swapped places?)

18. - Top - End - #168

(Hm - looks like they did. Arg, this hurts my head, map changed to move Marcaus up and Surd back.)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

As the guards in his wagon are distracted, Chase takes the opportunity to disapear into thin air. As his invisible form moves toward the bandits that his bird can see, Maddock sends said bird into a patrol pattern around the caravan so that he will know if this is merely a distraction for him and his fellow guards.
    [ooc]Invisibility: Standard action, lasts 5 rounds. Also, I've got 2d6 Sudden Strike. Will Run there(120 feet per round) until he's within 30 feet of a bandit.[/ooc]

20. - Top - End - #170

Marcaus

Marcaus darts forward from the front wagon, drawing his sword as he moves. He places himself in the center of the road between the bandits and extends his sword outward, pointing at the pair of bandits to the right.

"Don't throw your lives away," he shouts to the bandits, in a very calm, serious tone. "The caravan you attack is guarded by a party of highly skilled warriors - you stand no chance for success. Have you heard about the ogres troubling these lands? Have you not heard of how these warriors laid waste to an entire party of ogres? You're making a serious mistake. I implore you, stand down that your lives may be spared."

[Attempting a diplomatic approach. PHB says it could take up to a minute, but I'll at least know if it's quite obviously going sour and be able to stop trying before then (ie, if either side starts going trigger happy). Diplomacy check - bandits (1d20+12=22)]
    Last edited by The White Knight; 2006-11-23 at 04:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

(You can make a Dip check as a full-round action at, I think, a -10 penalty. Want me to apply it automatically? Or are you going to spend the next 10 rounds making a speech? :))

22. - Top - End - #172

(depends on whether or not people wanna hold up and listen, I guess... they can take what I've said so far as my first round's deliberation, and if they're not interested in listening for the rest, they can suck steel :P)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]I always use Intimidate for this sort of situation, but to each his own.[/ooc]

24. - Top - End - #174

(it's a matter of skill modifiers, too :P)

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I'm assuming Surd will stay with the wagons, and in the interest of NOT WAITING FOR HIM AT ALL I'll post now.)

Hallnsfarth
    Initiative: 17
    AC: 20 (T: 13, F: 17)
    HP: 21/21
    Saves: F: +2 R: +4 W: +4

Hearing the new recruit's speech filled Hallnsfarth with a sense of pride. At last they were getting a reputation. He especially liked how Maracus made no promises. Accentuating his groups prowess, Hallnsfarth thrust his hand forward in a sudden jerking motion, sending a shard of ice blasting towards the bandit lurking farthest from the road.

Ice Knife (1d20+5+4=18)
    2nd B far Right.

Fort Save DC 17 or take 2 dex damage.
    Ice Knife Damage (Hit) (2d8=3) + Warmage Edge of +2 total damage of 5.

If an attack of 18 doesn't hit then:

The glowing shard of ice would have deflected off of the bandit's armor, but just then Hallnsfarth completed the spell with an additional pulse of magical energy, causing the shard to rupture in mid-air, scattering razored ice particles around in a small cloud.

Ice Knife Damage (Miss) (1d8+2=6)

10ft radius.

(OOC: Need a map dude, can't be blowing long-ranged spells on everyone.)
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2006-11-25 at 03:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

INBOUND POST DETECTED! BRACE FOR IMPACT!

Marcaus makes a short speech, trying to talk the raiders out of their ambush - the two crossbow-wielding bandits look momentarily unsure, till the third one - older, and apparently the leader of the trio, snarls at them in a gruff voice.
    "Bah! Don't listen to the fool! Knowing those ogres, this bunch probably snuck by while the fat brutes were sleeping! It's our prize now!"

Maddock vanishes from sight, completely unnoticed by anyone else, and creeps upward towards the bandits. His bird flutters into the air, scanning the ground below, and Maddock sees through its keen vision the distinctive outlines of several doglike shapes stalking through the undergrowth towards the battle scene.

Hallnsfarth lets loose with a razor-sharp shard of ice, which slices into the farmost bandit's shoulder, freezing the blood that wells up out of the wound. He yelps at the hit, a strangely animalistic sound, before twisting into a scowl.

Surd crouches atop his post on the wagon, clearly unsure what to do - he apparently decides to hold in place, remembering Hallnsfarth's warning about attackers from multiple angles.

As the axe-wielding bandit closes on Trillian, the other two step closer, reloading their crossbows and firing in unison at Hallnsfarth. The warmage twists away from one of them, and it scores only a glancing blow, but this opens him up for the second bolt, which punches through his chain shirt to bury itself in the rear of his shoulder joint.

(18 Damage to Hallnsfarth - unlucky crit on the second shot there.)

The third bandit jumps over the fallen tree, ending up next to Trillian. He snarls at the halfling with exceedingly bad breath, before tilting his head back into a long, lupine howl.
    "ArrOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

As a chorus of similar howls echo from the nearby trees - coming from the lurking wolves that Maddock's raven spotted, the man's body undergoes an abrupt and shocking transformation. His shirt and pants bulge, straining at their seams under new layers of muscle and a coat of fur, while his face lengthens into a hideous amalgamation of man and wolf. The hands wrapped around the battleaxe twist into sharp claws, though they don't let go of the weapon. The werewolf gives another chilling howl as he completes his change, glaring down at Trillian through a pair of very human yellow eyes.

(Need an action from Trillian- Foster is also being NPCed, then we "recycle".)

Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2006-11-27 at 08:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Trillian

Trillian delays until just before Marcaus. (21 in initiative)

Trillian shouts a warning "Holy Yakuza! They are shape stealers!

Hey Wolfie! Is that a Little Pig behind you?"

Trillian will urge his dog to attack as he attacks the werewolf, hopefully, getting a sneak attack in if he can distract him with the pig ploy.

{OOC: Bluff Check to Feint(11)
    Attack w/ Dagger(22),
    Damage from Dagger(3),
    Damage from Sneak Attack(13),
    Attack from Dog(12),
    Damage from Dog(7)

(1d20+9=11, 1d20+5=22, 1d3=3, 3d6=13, 1d20+3=12, 1d6+3=7)

Ride Check to attack with Dog (1d20+5=14)
    The Tangled Web

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Surd

((For round 2))

Surd reluctantly keeps his course, knowing that his team is counting on his protecting their rearguard and flank. He climbs upon the top of the closest convoy car in order to get a better view of the battle up front and the backside of the caravan.

((Move on top of closest car and readied action to move toward anyone trying to sneak up to the caravan from another direction.))

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

29. - Top - End - #179

Trillian hesitates for just the briefest of moments, caught off guard by his opponent's abrupt shift in appearance and threat. Foster, hearing Hallnsfarth's expletive of surprise and/or pain* at the crossbow strike, jumps off the wagon seat in a crash of armor, hurrying forward to deliver healing.

All along the train, the various guards pile out of the wagons, hastily drawing swords - only to be set upon by a number of snarling wolves, apparently lying in wait alongside the were-bandit(s?). The guards are surprised by the lupine ambush, but their armor holds firm - only two of the wolves succeed in drawing blood, and just one of them manages to drag its prey off balance and prone on the ground.

Round 2:

The Battle Stands At:
    Trillian 21
    Marcaus: 20
    Maddock: 22
    Surd: 18
    Hallnsfarth: 17
    Bandits: 17
    Foster: 11
    Guards: 2
    Wolves: 1

(The third guard on the right, counting downward from top, is prone.)

(*Throw me a bone, Seff? I'm sure you can come up with something - and I doubt it'd make sense for H-bomb to bear a wound like that in stoic silence... )

(Round 2 actions please - have Trillian's already - KingRex has the chance to resubmit actions now that there are new combatants in play.)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Maddock, alias Chase
    Initiative 22
    Sheet not accessable to retrieve other relevant statistics

The unseen binder's eyes narrow as the wolves come upon the caravan. The guard who lost his balance to the wolf's attack is assisted by Chase appearing seemingly out of nowhere, doing his best to deliver a devastating two-handed strike to the animal.

[ooc]To hit: (1d20+5)[15] vs. flat-footed AC
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12](2 STR mod, 1 half STR mod, 1 Pact Augmentation)
    Sudden Strike: (2d6)[7] Malphas EBL 5

Note that all of this is from memory, and that any inaccuracies should have the corresponding correct information on Maddock's sheet. Oh, and the roll tags are cheatproof to my knowledge.[/ooc]