New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader: The Rise of the Green Horde (IC)

An Inquisitorial summons is never a good way to start a morning. Unfortunately, that is precisely how yours began.

It is barely dawn on the frozen mining world of Lucin’s Breath, where your ship has recently completed a resupply run for a healthy bit of profit. A simple, boring job, but you had seemed to be a lightning rod for troubles lately and the monotonous routine helped to clear your mind some. Your crew also seemed to appreciate the change, and took to the tasks of ferrying down to the surface hundreds of tones of foodstuffs and mining equipment with a pleasant energy and enthusiasm you have not seen from them in years. The last of your men are scheduled up this afternoon, and you are scheduled to leave back for Imperial space in a scant 18 hours.

The summons arrived via courier before first light, bearing the Inquisitor’s mark and demanding immediate audience, and so here you are, standing in a nearly empty conference room you’re your tired attentions bolstered by steaming caffeine and the knowledge that the man standing before you could have you killed with a word. A single cleaning servitor busies itself in the far corner, but otherwise there is almost no motion at all in the room.

Inquisitor Marianne Nunez, Ordos Xenos of the Holy Inquisition, stands at 5’ 1”, is of slight build and has a tight bun of grey hair atop a head lined with fencing scars. She has intense gray eyes that have seen a lot in the past 400 years of her life, walks with an ivory and silver cane, and is wearing a red business suit covered by a full-length canvas jacket you suspect has been lined with ballistic armor. The Inquisitorial Rosette, her badge of office, dangles from her neck and slowly swings back and forth as you stare at each other in absolute silence. On her waist is an Inferno Pistol and a Dirk with a power field generator.

She breaks the ice first, skipping all pleasantries and jumping straight to the meat of her purpose today. “Last night I received a message from an associate deep in the Koronus expanse. Ship under attack. Ork fleet. No hope of victory. Those were the last words of his message, and possibly of his life.”

Marianne raises her cane six inches from the ground and resettles it with a loud thump, activating from its head a 3-D projected image of the known Koronus celestial map. With several twitches of her grasping fingers, the image shifts and zooms, and soon you are looking at a tight cluster of stars and solar systems. One flashes red with warning runes. “System EE-192, not distant from the Cobalt system. 7 months ago, a survey team was attacked and driven from its surface. Orks.”

She taps her cane again and repeats the process to a new set of stars. “Asteroid field in the Abigail-2 binary system in the Cinerus Maleficum. Mining operation. Decimated, few survivors. Orks. 11 months ago.”

She taps her cane once more and the image shuts down completely. “These are not the only incidents. Orks are a constant threat, but not at these numbers. Not at this intensity. Not at these locations. The incidents, taken in an aggregate, form a pattern. More pressingly, Ork ships of identical make believed to be the save vessels were spotted at several of these attacks, half a sector apart. My conclusion is that the Orks of the ‘Undred-Undred Teef’ cluster have launched an invasion into Imperial space, towards the mouth of the Koronos sector. I pray that I am wrong. If I am right, we are running out of time, and the longer we wait the more Imperial citizens will die.”

“Messages have been sent to Battlefleet command. They will not reach them in time. We are to go to Falcon’s Fall Gamma III. Rescue colleagues. Research the threat. Slow it however we can. After the Orks secure their local space, they will press for Footfall and beyond. Billions died the last time they invaded that deep, and I will not allow it to happen again while I live.”

Inquisitor Nunez stares at you with an expression as hard and unyielding as stone. “If you live, you will be compensated more than generously. We leave tonight. Prepare your men.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It is nightfall over this slice of Lucin’s Breath, and you can see the retreating rays of its setting star as your cutter breaks free the atmosphere on a return route towards your ship.

This has been a day of frantic work and preparations, with every single member of your crew up and active loading supplies, securing freight and readying the thousands of systems for your imminent transition to Warp. Yours is one of the last of the shuttles; Inquisitor Nunez has already ascended with her retinue much earlier. They have kept out of your way during your preparations, other than giving your bridge coordinates for your first destination on this desperate mission.

Your target is a remote waystation, floating in a calm pocket of space half way between Falcon's Fall and Solace Encarmine and a perfect spot for trade ships to drop out of the Warp and rest and resupply for another leg of their journey. If there has been Ork activity nearby, they would know about it, if they're still alive at all...

You are now free to RP to your hearts' content, ask questions, seek out individuals (ie the Inquisitor), make checks, etc. You're going into the Warp for a week or so, so you've plenty of time to do what you'd like. When you're ready, our Navigator can make some Navigation rolls and get this journey underway (much of which will be abstracted).

Navigation Checks to Make (just keep rolling in order unless you hit a bad botch):
    1. Navigation (Warp) to determine the length of the voyage.
    2. Awareness +10 (Ordinary Difficulty) to find the Astral Beacon to help guide your journey.
    3. Perception +10 (Ordinary Difficulty) to Chart your Course.
    4. Navigation (Warp) +30 (Easy Difficulty) to steer the ship through the immaterium.
    5. Perception Test -20 (Hard Difficulty) to exit the Warp at the intended spot.

I'll be rolling the Warp Encounters in secret, and will let you handle the results as I navigate the journey.
    Last edited by RogueTrader; 2010-12-28 at 05:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader: The Rise of the Green Horde (IC)

Navigators, like bats and the smoke from burning buildings, tend to gather in the eaves of any given space, and Hallach Nostromo is no different.

Six figures sit, recline, or stand around the Navigator's cocoon. Each one is dressed identically, each wearing a set of heavy robes, whose intricate monochrome embroidery shimmers with a migraine-inducing storm of moiré interference, and each one wears the same face - the same face that would be pretty, if it weren't so ever slightly, and disturbingly, flawed. A keen observer, however, studying the group for a while, would note subtle differences between them - if the one perched daintily atop the cocoon is striking a 'pose', then the others are very much 'posed', their joints seized up, their eyes unmoving.

'... and so, my dear Journal, I suppose that time has finally come to collect on the debt that we owe it. I shall go forth to meet our Captain for our first formal introduction, and we shall leave this Throne-damned sector for a little while - a brief respite from our Valley of Tears.

Until the next time,

Hallach.'

As the last word is spoken, one of the other figures - its head held in the pose of an attentive listener - collapses, like a puppet with its strings cut. The others rise, and jerkily drag it away to a cot. Meanwhile, Hallach prepares herself to descend to the bridge - a staff (to show her authority), her pistol (she's of the opinion that on a military ship, a military expedition, it's 'the done thing' to have some sort of sidearm at all times), and a veil (it would be a shame to drive any of the crew into a catatonic stupor with a glance this early in the voyage).

Attired and armed, Hallach begins to wander down the halls of the ship to the bridge. She dawdles a little; looking around, getting the feel for the place, but straightens up and at least tries to look professional as she enters the cavernous, echoing space of the ship's bridge. Having located Lord-Captain Ghareth Amraphel (that name? Poor, poor child), she snaps off a salute, and addresses him in accent-less High Gothic -

'Lord Captain Ghareth Amraphel, sir. Navigator Hallach, of House Nostromo, at your service. I have begun to devise plans, directions, warp routes &c.'

It's hard to actually say '&c.' out loud, in speech, but she manages pretty well.

'I would appreciate some direction as to our destination, our requested time of departure, and your preference for a fast or a safe voyage. Speaking perfectly theoretically, of course.'

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[39] vs 60 (Navigate (Warp) +10, Int 50) to get the duration of travel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Inquisitors. They say they are investigating an Ork incursion, but how can we really trust their word? They lie for a living. And they make a very good living.

Haddon tries to channel his worry into completing his review of the work reports and compiling his own report, but eventually after reading the same line five times he saw that he could no longer lose himself in his work to ignore the issue.

Contacting the Captain on his micro-bead, he says, "My Lord I mean no disrespect but... are you sure about this? The Inquisitor I mean. I don't like the idea of having one of their number on board the ship. The consequences on the morale of the crew could be disastrous if they should find out there is an inquisitor in their midst. They say they are investigating Orks, but how do we know they are being truthful with us? For all we know they could be investigating us or members of the crew."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hallach:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have taken the route you are headed on before, and it is as well-trod as any Warp route this deep within the Expanse. From your current starting location, you believe it will take 6.5 Days Warp Time, 6-65 Days Real Time to make the leap to the Waystation. You do however note that there is another route you might take. An incoming wave of Warp energy could be 'ridden' by your ship towards your destination, drastically cutting your travel time down to 4.5 Days Warp, 35-38 Days Real towards your destination, but with this speed would come much greater Warp exposure (-15 on your Warp Encounters check).

5. - Top - End - #5

"Orks? Excellent," master-at-arms Hawker spits. "I loves killing me some orks," he adds as he pats squigstooth, slung at his side.

"With your permission captain, Lord, I'd like to prepare the men for greenskin combat - run through some drills for fighting Xenos that size, and for repelling rok born borders," he enquires of the captain and the inquisitor.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inquisitor Nunez overhears Hawker's comment from a chair aboard the bridge. Turning to him with no expression, she curtly nods, saying, "Positive attitude, and wise training choice. Ensure that your men know that, should they run away from the Orks, they will run towards me, and I will have less mercy for them than the enemy."

Turning away from Hawker and towards the Lord Captain, she says simply, "Members of my Retinue will accompany any missions that occur. They will report findings to myself and to you in equal part. I will trust your discretion and judgment afterward. Do not make me regret this choice." With that, she turns back to reviewing star charts brought aboard by her Retinue for use by the Navigators...
    Last edited by RogueTrader; 2010-12-28 at 05:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Ghareth Amraphel sat in solemn silence aboard his cutter as it ferried the last of his crewmen back to the ship. He had hoped to take on a few jobs similar to the one they had just completed on Lucin’s Beath, but his meeting with Inquisitor Nunez had robbed him of that option. Ghareth and his crew were no strangers to mercenary work, but this particular mission seemed ludicrous to say the very least. What did this Inquisitor expect one transport vessel to do against an entire greenskin fleet? Still, he had not even attempted to protest. He’d had dealings with Inquisitors before, and he knew full well that it would do him no good. When Nunez had ordered him to “Prepare his men”, it had not been a request. Inquisitors never made requests.

He had briefed his senior staff planetside and given them instructions as to how to present this latest mission to the crew. This situation would need to be handled delicately. He had decided to be completely up front with his officers, holding nothing back from them about the nature of their mission and the Inquisitor that had ordered it, but he had given them strict orders not to reveal that there would be an Inquisitor on board to the crew. This could prove devastating to morale, not to mention providing a dangerous distraction to the men at a time when distractions could get them all killed. If they were going to do this, the last thing that they needed to be doing was looking over their shoulders and speculating among themselves about the motivations of their guest.

Jarn Hawker had been particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of going into battle with the greenskins. Ghareth had expected no less of him, and counted it a blessing that the Catachan native would be among them for this. He might be a bit rough around the edges, but he was an excellent fighting man with no small amount of experience fighting Orks. He would be a valuable asset in the days to come. When Ghareth had told his officers of their mission, Hawker had been the first to speak, asking for leave to begin preparing his men for combat. Despite their dire circumstances, Ghareth had almost chuckled at the man’s confidence and EAGERNESS for what lay ahead. “Do exactly that, and keep me apprised of your progress. I want every man ready for action the second we arrive at our destination. I suspect they’ll have every opportunity to put your drills to good use as soon as we drop out of warp space,” he had told his Master at Arms. His other officers had been…less enthusiastic, especially when the Inquisitor had added her grim warning, but all had thus far pledged to carry out their orders.

As the cutter approached the Semper Fidelis, Ghareth almost forgot his troubles for a moment. She was an ancient and beautiful ship, and while she may not have been the biggest vessel or most powerful vessel in the Imperium, she had a good heart and she was his. He had acquired her many years ago, shortly after receiving his warrant of trade. She was planet-bound at the time, and hadn’t flown in millennia, but he had recognized her potential immediately. He strongly suspected that the man he had purchased her from had no idea what he had. This was fortunate, as he did not possess nearly the wealth at the time as he did now. Purchasing the ship and getting her void-worthy again had cost him just about everything he’d had, but he had never regretted his decision.

The sound of the docking bay doors closing snapped him out of his reverie. It was time to get to work. He disembarked from the cutter and started for the bridge, unbuttoning his great coat as he did so, allowing it to hang open duster-style. Various crewmen greeted him as he passed them, and he briefly acknowledged each in turn. The crew had been particularly up-beat after this last mission. It was a shame that this latest mission would probably ruin it.

He had no more than reached his command throne and sat down to begin going over the various reports that were coming in regarding their recently completed endeavor than the voice of his Chief Bosun, Haddon Carilli, came through over his micro-bead: "My Lord I mean no disrespect but... are you sure about this? The Inquisitor I mean. I don't like the idea of having one of their number on board the ship. The consequences on the morale of the crew could be disastrous if they should find out there is an Inquisitor in their midst. They say they are investigating Orks, but how do we know they are being truthful with us? For all we know they could be investigating us or members of the crew."

Haddon had a keen eye for crew morale, which was the very reason he had been appointed to his current station. Ghareth knew that the two of them would have their work cut out for them keeping the men focused in the days ahead. He was just about to reply when Hallach Nostromo, the ship’s acting Navigator entered the bridge. She was coming directly toward him, probably intending to discuss plotting a course for the journey they were about to undertake. Not wanting to discuss this in front of the crewmen on the bridge, he made his reply to Haddon “Acknowledged, Chief. Report to my office in thirty minutes and we’ll go over your reports. I’m especially interested in the updated crew manifest. For now, I need to discuss our coming warp jump with the Navigator. Amraphel out.” Ghareth assumed that Haddon would pick up on his subterfuge and report as ordered so that they could address his concerns in private.

With that taken care of, at least for the moment, Ghareth turned his attention to the approaching Navigator. She had come on as a charter passenger not long ago, offering him a generous sum of money in exchange for safe passage with no questions asked. This had immediately caused Ghareth to wonder what she might be running from, but he had decided not to press the issue too far…yet. When he had received an Inquisitorial summons he had suspected it might have something to do with her, but his fears had more or less been put to rest in that regard. This was just as well, as he had lost his previous Navigator during an unfortunate incident prior to Lucin’s Breath, so he had recently offered her the position of acting Navigator on the ship. This would be her first time guiding the Fidelis through the warp.

She greeted him very formally in High Gothic, using his full name (which he noted she had a bit of difficulty with) and title and giving him a crisp salute. As he had expected, she was here to discuss the particulars of their coming trip through the Empyrean. He gives her a small, amused smile as he addresses her.

“Certainly, Navigator.” He punches a few buttons on the control panel built into the arm of his throne to activate the hololithic display, entering the coordinates of their destination and motioning for her to stand next to him so that she can see better as he does so. “We’re heading to Falcon’s Fall Gamma III…here.” He nods toward the display. “As to my preference for a safe or fast journey, I fear I’m going to have to ask you for both. Time is of the essence, but we won’t do this outpost much good if we never arrive to aid it. What are our travel options? Have you been able to identify the nearby warp currents so that we can plot a course?”

Spoiler
    Show
    I intend to grant my +10 bonus from Exceptional Leader to any tests that Essie's character makes until further notice.
    Last edited by Thompson; 2010-12-22 at 05:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

SamuraiGuy

The Lord-Captain's order comes across his micro-bead and Haddon returns an affirmative, "Sir! You shall have them in twenty. Chief Carilli, out."

He spares a glance toward the drinks in the liquor cabinet in his office and thinks, You and I are going to become good friends in the coming days, before returning his mind to his work in compiling his report for the captain. Subterfuge or not the reports still needed to be done and turned into him.

Nineteen minutes later, Haddon entered the bridge carrying a data-slate and a bottle of his finest amasec. He hands presents the slate to the captain and says, "Here is my report, Milord. Also about that drink I owe you from last week's wager..." He darts his eyes toward the captain's office as he says this last sentence and holds the bottle aloft.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Three eyes narrow visibly behind the veil, and Hallach tilts her head one way, then the other, looking at the hololith. She's not looking at the relative locations of the systems - as far as warp travel's concerned, they might as well be a train map, a web of nodes scattered across a page, only sensible and coherent in their respective linkages - instead, she's surveying something behind them, their shapes and characters, fitting them in with her pictures of the world - both the intimate, the ship and its crew, and the majestic, her third eye's impressions of the expanse. Shaking her head, she straightens up, looking Ghareth in the eye, and chuckling a little.

Can't have your cake and eat it, Lord Captain. How can I put this in such a way as to help a non-Navis ... there are two possibilities.

Without looking, she sticks out an arm, snags a passing rating and relieves him of his dataslate. A few quick dashes of her hand, and she passes it to the Trader.

Spoiler
    Show

Two ways through the warp. Way one is a shallow trip through easy, well trodden routes. Gets us there in 65 Terran Solar Cycles, but no more than the normal chance of getting a warp incursion, on, er, no matter. The alternative is to use an oncoming tide of the Immaterium to push us deeper into the warp, and then crest out of it. That shouldn't take as long - I'd say 38 TSC? - but, as you can see, there's a whole lot more warp and risk to cover - all that unsettling white space under our line (though a short trip minimises exposure, something to consider). These are the two most optimum solutions, but I'm afraid that looking at it this way can only give us possibilities, Lord Captain. I'd personally suggest the quicker route, but ...

She fumbles expectantly. Or at least gives the impression. In actual fact, it's just Hallach's way of lying low, not putting her head above parapet by being too assertive, not just yet ...

Oh, and -

A couple more dashes of a finger, and Carilli's report is back up.
    Last edited by Essie; 2010-12-22 at 08:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaving the meeting room, Victris heads immediately for the Temple to begin ministrations. He kneels and prays silently, clutching his bolter-shell pendant nervously. His lips furiously recite a string of prayers, his eyelids twitching as the words resonate inside him. He rises to his feet, opening a vox channel to the ship and booming the Emperor's Prayer:

Adore the Immortal Emperor
    For He is our Protector

Admire the Immortal Emperor
    For His sacrifice to Mankind

Exalt the Immortal Emperor
    For His strict guidance

Revere the Immortal Emperor
    For His undying guard

Venerate the Immortal Emperor
    For His holy wisdom

Honor the Immortal Emperor
    For His eternal strength

Glorify the Immortal Emperor
    For His all-seeing vision

Praise the Immortal Emperor
    For his unending rule

Hail the Immortal Emperor
    For His is the lord and master

Worship the Immortal Emperor
    For without Him we are nothing!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

coming in over the intercom

Hello, Shamor, Master of Ordnance here, I'm looking for the Master Helmsman. Has that position been filled yet? I'm always ready to shoot up some greenskins, but I can't hit nothing without some proper flying!

12. - Top - End - #12

Ghareth quirks an eyebrow as he turns to Hallach, still wearing the smallest of amused smiles. He was starting to like his new Navigator. She was obviously very confident in her abilities. Given the way she had so brashly snatched Haddon’s data-slate and lectured him like a novice at the Schola, he was willing to wager that her suggestion, wrapped in obeisance though it may be, was in her mind the correct course of action. He was inclined to agree.

“I understand, Navigator. I do have some idea of how starship travel works. I wasn’t suggesting that you get us there tomorrow with no risk, but we can’t afford to be reckless. That said, an option with the potential to reduce our travel time by over a third can’t be ignored. I’d prefer to reach our destination before the Orks do if at all possible. Coordinate with the helm to plot a course using the faster option. We’ll just have to trust in the stability of our Gellar Field and the protection of the Emperor to see us through. I’ll contact you when we’re ready to set sail. Let me know if there are any developments that cause our options to change.”

With that, he switches off the hololith and turns to address his Chief Bosun.

“I appreciate your being so punctual, Haddon. Let’s have a look at…”

He was interrupted by the voice of Shamor al’Moraby, his Master of the Ordnance, coming through over the micro-bead. Holding up his index finger as if to say “Excuse me a moment”, Ghareth replied to the gunner:

“You’ll want to coordinate your efforts with Helena at the helm. I’d like you run through some simulations and discuss combat maneuvers with her while we travel. I’m afraid we won’t have time to do any drills, but you’ll have to make due. Also, please have our Engineseers examine the ship’s weapon systems under your supervision and make sure that they are operating at peak efficiency. It would be…unfortunate if we were to engage the Orks without functional weaponry. Keep me informed of any difficulties you encounter.”

Signing out, he addresses Haddon once more.

“I’m afraid that I can’t spare too much time right this moment. There is much to do before we get underway, but come to my office and let’s have a look at these figures.”

Stopping to nod respectfully to Hallach, Ghareth heads toward the door leading to his office, which is right off the bridge.
    Last edited by Thompson; 2010-12-23 at 12:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just let me know when you'd like to fast-forward things, though I will need some rolls from our Navigator...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't be offended Lord Captain - I think out loud, and it's just how I work these things out. I'll be on it presently, Sir.

With that, the Navigator curtsies, then whirls round in a small cyclone of - surely they can't be dusty - robes, and returns to her quarters, where, over the next few hours, she makes the preparations for departure, her coterie of servitor dopplegangers fussing over her and assisting her.

Spoiler
    Show

So, just rolling these now.

Awareness check to find the Astronomicon - (1d100)[42] vs 68 (awareness skill) + 10 (ordinary difficulty) + 10 (under our Captain's Exceptional Leadership, assuming he's being bothersome and voxing over such questions as 'how's it going?', 'can you get us there in twenty minutes', 'are we there yet', &c.) + 10 (Foresight, if that's allowed - even though Navigating a ship is usually a long-term, extended action, I'm taking my time setting us up right, making sure everything's good. Even if we leave a day late, we could still more than make up for it if we get there early) = vs 98.

Perception check to Chart the Course
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[37] vs 98 (same modifiers apply, I think).

Spoilered because I think I'm not supposed to see this yet, only the GM.

Not yet emerged from her cocoon, Hallach paws a hand up at the vox, and buzzes the Lord Captain.

'Sir? We're ready. 'Fast departure', as you said.'
    Last edited by Essie; 2010-12-23 at 01:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice rolls...

Geller field charged and Warpsbane runes active, the Semper Fidelis slips through reality and into the boiling sea of the Warp...

Navigator Hallach quickly finds the Astral Beacon, shining brightly and clearly even this far away from holy Terra, and uses its strength to confidently lay in a bold route that will have you skirting the very edge of the celestial storm and throw you headfirst towards your destination. Several particularly rough sections of Warpstorm and daemon packs are sighted and course corrected to avoid them, and your ship stands ready to fly full burn...

Just need the Navigation and Perception rolls now, and I will roll the Warp Encounters in secret (though with how short a trip you're taking, I'll give you some bonuses there). As soon as I have the rolls I will be ready to move forward with the plot and your arrival/you getting lost in the Warp, but there's still plenty of time to talk, plan, and Roleplay as well.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh, sorry for holding things up .

4. Navigation (Warp) +30 (Easy Difficulty) to steer the ship through the immaterium.
    5. Perception Test -20 (Hard Difficulty) to exit the Warp at the intended spot.

(1d100)[27] vs 60 (Navigation (warp) +10, int 50), +30 (easy difficulty), +10 (exceptional leadership), +10 (foresight) = 110.

(1d100)[35] vs 68 (perception) -20 (hard difficulty) + 10 (exceptional leadership) + 10 (foresight) = 68.

Again, going with the foresight spam, so I suppose we might be a little bit slower than the rolling suggests, but that's the price one pays for a safe journey.

And they say that the Expanse ever belonged to someone other than a Nostromo, or a Haarlock. Pulling herself out of the Navigator's cocoon, the Navigator stretches, yawns, prosecutes a full Inquisitorial investigation replete with dramatic show trials and ritual immolations on a crick in her neck, dresses, and begins to wander down the halls of the Semper, her Navigation largely done for the day. It's plain sailing through the warp for the foreseeable future (as much as anything can be foreseen), and someone constantly bending over the helm, fussing, might spoil it. Besides, she can return if anything goes too badly wrong.

She's not going to the bridge, however - she'd like to talk to their esteemed guest ...
    Last edited by Essie; 2010-12-23 at 01:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

"Of course, my lord, after you."

Haddon follows the captain to his office. Once he is sure the door is shut firmly, he gives the bottle over to Ghareth and says, "Please, enjoy the bottle sir. I know how much you like a good amasec. Now ideally, I would prefer to keep the Inquisitrix and her ilk confined to a gilded cage, but I get the feeling that such an obvious deception and show of distrust would do us no good. However, I don't relish the thought of her or her subordinates being anywhere near the crew. Do you have any particular knowledge of this woman and her cadre, Sir?"

18. - Top - End - #18

As the ship makes the transition to the warp, Master-at-arms Hawker opens a private channel to the heads of the ship defense parties. "The captain tells me that the Navigator, bless her soul, has decided to take us on a bit of a short cut through the warp. It'll be quick, but we're running deep and the chance of hitting trouble is higher than I'd like. Make sure every shift is on their toes and ready to repel boarders(!) at the drop of a hat.

"Also, I'll be running the off-watch through some preparatory exercises in the hold. Bring your parties down at the beginning of your rest cycles."

Forestalling the inevitable complaints, he continues "I'm sorry to interrupt your beauty sleep, ladies, but the greenskins are far worse than the worst pirate you've ever faced, and this drilling cannot wait."

19. - Top - End - #19

Office Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ghareth's ready room is not primarily designed for comfort or relaxation, but the simple design and understated decor of this office help present a calm and soothing atmosphere. It is not extremely large, but it is comfortably spacious. It is furnished with a large wooden desk, a large, high-backed leather chair, and two smaller wooden chairs upholstered with leather for guests. There is also a small leather sofa. None of the furniture is particularly gaudy, but it is all very sturdy and well-made and it all matches perfectly. There is a viewport behind Ghareth's chair that allows a spectacular view of space outside the ship, but this has been closed to hide the horrors of the Empyrean.

The lights here are warmer than the stark white ones that are common throughout the rest of the ship. There are some simple, non-flowering plants in the office that add a pleasant fragrance to the air. The walls have gray paneling on them that removes the echo that is sometimes common in small rooms aboard a starship.

There is a side alcove containing a small wooden liquor cabinet containing only a single decanter of amasec and four glasses, a refridgeration unit for storing a small supply of foodstuffs, and a small counter with a sink.

Ghareth accepts the bottle of amasec from Haddon, looking at the label and nodding in approval.

“Good vintage. I have the feeling I’ll be needing this in the coming days. Thank you.”

The bottle is placed carefully into a modestly sized wooden liquor cabinet. Ghareth sits down in the high-backed leather chair behind his desk and motions for his Chief Bosun to take a seat in one of the chairs in front of it. He places the data-slate containing Haddon’s report on his desk, intending to look it over later. There is more pressing business at hand. Haddon wastes no time getting to the point. Ghareth takes a moment to consider his statements before answering.

“Your instincts are correct. We have to assume that our guest will see through any deception. Seeing through deception is her sacred duty. I intend to offer her our full cooperation while we perform this undertaking for her. Don’t get me wrong. If I had my way we’d be doing a few more cargo handling jobs like the one we just completed on Lucin’s Breath. Easy, profitable, and good for the crew after our recent run of bad luck. My Warrant technically grants me the freedom to deny even an Inquisitor passage on the ship, and the freedom to refuse to perform this task…but I have no doubt in my mind that she would have made me regret that decision to my dying day. I’m afraid I have no real knowledge of this particular Inquisitor or her retinue, but for the moment she seems willing to keep me informed…to some extent at least…and allow me to keep my autonomy in regard to decision making. That’s far more than I would have expected.”

Ghareth leans forward, resting his elbows on his desk and steepling his fingers as he regards Haddon.

“For now, none of the crewmen suspect that there is an Inquisitor in our midst. I prefer that things stay that way. It is true that we have no way to be certain what her motives are. She certainly hasn’t told us everything. She may even be here to investigate members of our crew. If that’s the case, then we’ll have to deal with whatever…complications arise as they come.”

Ghareth opens a wooden case on his desk and removes a single sheet of clean parchment and an ink pen. He sets to work writing a letter, continuing to speak to Haddon as he does to.

“I’ll be depending on you, as always, to keep an eye on the crew and keep their spirits up. Let me know if there’s anything that needs addressing. I’d also like you report anything of note regarding our guest. I don’t want you going out of your way to spy on her. You have enough responsibilities as it is and she will almost certainly notice you…but keep me informed of anything you happen to see in passing that might be of interest.”

Finishing the letter, Ghareth blows on the wet ink to dry it and folds the letter carefully into thirds before placing it into an envelope and sealing it with wax. He presses a signet ring worn on his right hand into the wax and allows it to cool. As he does so he receives a transmission from the Navigator that her preparations are complete. Seeing no reason to delay any longer he voxes back that she may proceed.

“If there is nothing else, Haddon, I need to get moving. I’m afraid I’ve got a long night ahead of me. When your other tasks are complete, report to the Master at Arms and see if he could use any help preparing the men for combat. Your experience may be useful to him in that regard. Also, please let him know that I’ll be stopping by to observe his drills and get an update regarding his preparations during my rounds tomorrow.”

Rising to his feet with the sealed envelope in hand, Ghareth allows Haddon to exit the room ahead of him. Pausing to take one last look around, Ghareth exits the bridge and proceeds toward his quarters. As he walks he hands the envelope to a passing servitor, instructing it to deliver the letter to Inquisitor Nunez at her quarters.

Spoiler
    Show
    At this point, I'm ready to fast forward a bit if everyone else is. I'd like to do some more things the following day, and then I have a few things I'd like to do abstractly throughout the week. I've sent a private message to RogueTrader containing the content of the letter.
    Last edited by Thompson; 2010-12-23 at 03:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the ship slides into the warp, Victris switches to the Prayer for Safe Return:
    O Eternal Emperor,
    Who alone watches us,
    And rules the tides and storms,
    Be compassionate to your servants,
    Preserve us from the perils of the Warp,
    That we may be a safeguard to the Domain of Man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for my first "Put your backs into it!" check, in case I miss a chance:
    (1d100)[58] vs Charm 75 (including Charm +10, Melfonte's Orthodoxy +10, and Ship's Confessor +10)
    Last edited by stormywaters; 2010-12-23 at 05:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Moving forward a little bit, at least with the Captain. With Essie's rolls, the journey probably isn't even going to take two days (and will sadly be quite uneventful), so after just a bit of RPing I'm hoping to throw you guys heads first into your first mission. Lemmie know if you have questions/concerns, and y'all can keep RPing as you wish.

The Semper Fidelis cruises swiftly through the churning etherium, rapidly approaching a lonely waystation sitting in the void.

It is 'morning' aboard your vessel, having jumped to Warp just over 12 hours ago and the night shift transitioning over to a new set of crewmen. Lord Captain Ghareth sits in his private dining chamber, awaiting the arrival of Inquisitor Nunez to dine and speak in private. At 0900 on the dot, door chimes sound and automated gears grind together as the ancient carved door is pulled aside to allow the Inquisitor entrance.

She has dressed for the occasion, having left behind her ballistic jacket and replaced her red business suit with a simple yet elegant travelers day dress made of dark blue and green fabric. She still walks with her ivory and silver cane, which compliments the rest of her fashion choices and gives her the overall appearance of a rather stern college professor as opposed to a vicious and feared hunter of heresy and xenos. She does still, however, have her Inferno Pistol and Power Dirk on hand, along with Emperor knows how many other lethal tools of her trade. And of course, the Inquisitorial Rosette still swings gently from her neck.

Without comment or invitation, she strides into the room and takes a seat opposite the Captain, closing the door behind her with a wave as she enters. As she observes the delicate food placed before her, she speaks in the same commanding tone as always, "If you seek answers or assurances from me, you may leave this meeting disappointed. I shall make an honest effort though, and inform you if there are things you are explicitly not to know."
    Last edited by RogueTrader; 2010-12-28 at 05:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

On days such as these, I regret not learning telepathy. To know what goes through an Inquisitor's head to pick a transport for a military mission...

One of the last to come aboard, Sylvanus had been busy during his time on the Semper Fidelis, learning the layout of the ship and any potential entry points for boarders. He had utilized several minor abilities to avoid detection, realizing that the crew would likely be spooked by a pale stranger in black armor wandering the decks armed. Should we find ourselves in trouble, my task shall be great indeed. What I would give for a garrison of Guard for this. Though I suspect the Inquisitor feels the same way.

He spent the night shift meditating in front of the Captain's quarters, maintaining his stealth powers while leaning lightly against the wall, eyes half open and psychic senses alert. Experience had taught him that one can never be too careful with one's charge while travelling the warp.

When morning shift came, he sensed the Inquisitor down the hall, and dropped his psychic cloaking. The very slight shimmer in the air dispersed, revealing black plate armor, embellished with silver symbols of the Imperium, the Scholastika Psykana, and the Templar order. An aquilae hilted sword at one hip, an odd dueling pistol on the other, and a simple blade sheathed at the small of the back were his only physical armaments. Though just over 70, he appeared to be in his mid 40s, only a few lines on his face and light streaks of gray in his hair showing signs of his age.

Syl bows slightly to the Inquisitor as she passes, and decides to wait for her to finish whatever business she has with the Lord-captain before he introduces himself and assumes his role properly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Following a simple morning sermon, Victris takes a light breakfast, and returns to his quarters to don his equipment. He consecrates and methodically pieces his armor together, reciting a stream of canticles of strength, protection, and courage.

His armor, painted a shimmering ivory and bedecked with gilded symbols of both the Ecclesiarchy and the Imperium, looks as much a symbol of office as it does armor. He blesses the promethium for his flamer and applies consecrated oils to his chainsword before he equips it. Leaving his flamer for now, he seeks the inquisitor for more information on the foul xenos they are after.
    Last edited by stormywaters; 2010-12-24 at 12:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Master-at-Arms Hawker approaches the new body guard standing by the captain's door. "Are they both in there?" he asks. Without waiting for an answer, he presses the door chime.

25. - Top - End - #25

SamuraiGuy

Haddon gave his thanks to the Emperor that past two days went by without incident, no drops in efficiency, and no 'mysterious' disappearances among the crew. It convinced him only by the slightest of margins that the Inquisitor really wasn't going to cause them trouble beyond recruiting them for a dangerous mission.

He had already finished giving his report to the Captain and was now working on the day's work schedules, adding an order to the watch leaders, bonded shipwrights, and armsman commanders that no tardiness would be accepted on account of having a passenger of high standing in the Imperium aboard, and that any lateness among the crew was to be reported immediately upon its notice. He then deposited the data-slates in the arms of a waiting servitor to distribute among the proper subordinates and left his office to perform his daily rounds of inspections.

It brought a smile to his face and a swell of pride in his breast to see the crew so dedicated to maintaining the same level of efficiency that they always did, considering the adverse conditions they were being exposed to without their knowledge. A fine crew, gathered together in a common purpose. They do me proud, and are a credit to this dynasty.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Edrene had been busy inspecting the Dorsal Macrobatteries when the Semper Fidelis entered the warp. And in fact he had been so intent on his inspection that none of the other Adeptus Mechanicus on board had thought to inform him of what was happening. And of course the normal weapon crews were staying as far away from him as they could. Still he could feel the differences in the ship's power flow as the Geller field was activated and the Strelov drive kicked in. So without saying anything he left the Enginseers that had been helping him complete his inspection, went to his quarters and returned wearing his full suit of power armor and with his thunder hammer slung over his back. Still saying nothing he returned to his inspection. Eerily enough he picked up exactly where he left off even down to the placement of his feet and location of his hands. The Enginseers were of course curious, but decided not to question his behavior.

After all this was not the only odd behaviors that Edrene had exhibited. Starting from very first step he had taken off the shuttle onto the deck of the Semper Fidelis unannounced and unexpected. Stopping only briefly to send a passing servitor to inform the captain that he would be inspecting the state of the archeotech on board the ship he had proceeded directly to the engine room where he had immediately begun examining the plasma drive. When he had eventually been asked to show some sort of authorization he had produced a writ from the Adeptus Mechancius ordering him to search out and inspect all the known ships in the Calixis sector with Archeotech components. A truly daunting and probably hopeless task, but the Enginseers on board vouched for both its authenticity and the fact that the Semper Fidelis was the first ship on the list. So his authority in the matter was accepted, provisionally at least. Besides no one really wanted to argue with him over it, not only did he cut an imposing figure with his massive amount of augmentations, but his bionic hand had some rather ominous looking blood stains on it. The fact that the servitors had been working exceptionally well ever since he had come on board helped his case as well. And so, he had a filled a rather odd place in the ship. Not really crew, but not really a passenger either.

Eventually Edrene finished his inspections. After consulting with the Enginseers about where the Semper Fidelis was headed and why, and in turn being informed about the Ork menace, he decided that it was time he found a more permanent place on the ship. After all the Semper Fidelis was almost a piece of Archeotech itself it was so old. It was his duty to the Omnissiah to do what he could to protect it. Especially if some hare brained Inquisitor who probably wouldn’t know a piece of Archeotech if it bumped into her sent it hurtling into battle.

After writing a request for a meeting on a handy dataslate, he stopped a nearby servitor and a after a quick reprogramming sent it to deliver his request to the captain.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2010-12-24 at 01:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arriving on the bridge, Victris approaches the Inquisitor. Attempting to befriend her as a fellow Imperial loyalist (and a devout one at that), he speaks to her in High Gothic:

Tell me, Madam Inquisitor, what of the people in the Koronus Expanse? Are they remembering their oaths of obeisance? Have they shown the... taint? What manner of defense are they prepared to launch with our aid?

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[78] vs Charm 55 to gain some level of... comraderie, and glean some information.

Edit: Perhaps a modifier for High Gothic and for being such a holy man?
    Last edited by stormywaters; 2010-12-24 at 01:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stormywaters View Post
    Arriving on the bridge, Victris approaches the Inquisitor. Attempting to befriend her as a fellow Imperial loyalist (and a devout one at that), he speaks to her in High Gothic:

Tell me, Madam Inquisitor, what of the people in the Koronus Expanse? Are they remembering their oaths of obeisance? Have they shown the... taint? What manner of defense are they prepared to launch with our aid?

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] vs Charm 55 to gain some level of... comraderie, and glean some information.

Edit: Perhaps a modifier for High Gothic and for being such a holy man?
    5 minutes ago...

Inquisitor Nunez stops to quickly chat with the holy man on her way to breakfast with the Lord Captain, and at his question and tone she raises a single eyebrow in curiosity. "It has been some time since anyone has shown his taint to me. Never pleasant." Her eyebrow lowering somewhat, she continues. "I have received no word from Battlefleet Command regarding force levels or response timeframe, and precious few ships of the line operate behind the Koronos passage independently. Planetary governors will prepare local defenses after receiving word, but can provide little to no support for offensive efforts. We must be prepared to stand alone for as long as needed. Have Faith in Him, brother. There is no salvation without suffering."

With that, the Inquisitor continues past the Missionary to meet with the Captain...
    Last edited by RogueTrader; 2010-12-28 at 05:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Walking through the staterooms, looking for the esteemed guest, Hallach freezes. There, in Morning Room, sit the Lord Captain and the Lady Inquisitor, tucking into some oats and pastries. Well. The idea of an Inquisitor having breakfast is a somewhat odd one, but she supposes that they have to eat sometimes.

This would perhaps not be the best time to burst in and begin talking shop about malevolent family legacies and warp travel and the like. Instead, unseen, she stalks off, in search of Nuñez's retinue, or cadre, or acolytes, or whatever the current preferred term for a group of poor sword-carriers and secretaries is now. Perhaps it would be better this way; find some people whose lips might be looser and just a little more trusting. Not that she had any malevolent intentions, of course; but, for all intents and purposes, she might appear to.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that or Inquisitor has some sort of staff/acolytes onboard. I'm looking for them, seeing where they are - if there aren't any, then I don't think I've got any more stuff on my 'warp travel to do list'.
    Last edited by Essie; 2010-12-24 at 07:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

In addition to the PC Members of her Retinue, Inquisitor Nunez also brought along an ancient Adept named Harold Pontius, a hotshot cutter pilot named Malcolm Lindquist, and a heavily scarred giant of a bodyguard who's name no one has caught yet. They are staying in her estate room and keeping completely to themselves at present.