New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Wrong Guys IC

[NEW THREAD]

In the land of Elin, magic is rare. Fate is not believed in by many. But whether you believe in fate or not, it'll come calling for you. Drag you into adventures you never expected. Take you places that you never dreamed of entering. Like the sewers under Attalin City, Capital of Tavetiir, for a start.

The sewers are dark and wet. Twisting and turning under the city. The further in you go, the deeper it is, and the smaller the passageways get. There are the remains of buildings of old, and corpses, rotten and fresh. The stench of rotten flesh and waste is a constant companion. Though people claim Attalin is built on the site of an epic battle against evil sorcerers and twisted beings from other realms, the truth is that Attalin is mostly built on itself nowadays. And the old roads, alleys, buildings and basements...they collapsed, mostly. The remains of these places are the sewers. There's a lot of interesting stuff down here. If you don't mind the smell.

Alright everyone, I need Listen and Spot checks. Also DC 15 Fortitude saves to avoid being sickened because of the smell. It's dark down here, though. If you don't have darkvision, you take a -5 penalty to the Spot check. If you lack lowlight vision and darkvision, instead take a -10 penalty to your Spot check.

Spoiler
    Show

Deities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aldaran, God of the Sun, the main deity, Patron of Paladins. Holy Symbol: A sun. Domains: Sun, Strength, War. Favored Weapon: Warhammer

The Wanderer, patron god of travelers and tricksters everywhere, halflings especially. Symbol: A hood, with a face barely visible inside. Domains: Luck, Travel, Trickery. Favored weapon: Quarterstaff

Andarra, Goddess of Death. Symbol: A rotting hand. Domains: Death, Destruction, Protection. Favored weapon: Glaive.

Esari, Wife of Alderan. Goddess of the home. Symbol: Two hands with palms together. Domains: Healing, Protection. Favored Weapon: Dagger

Elves tend to worship Obad-hai (the dude in the player's handbook) or the Moon Lady (Domains: Magic, Protection, Knowledge, Healing), represented by the largest moon (There are 3, but one is tiny and the other is blue and comes around about once every 7 years), considering celestials to be her children. A good portion of them are atheists.

The Big 16:

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Homebrewed setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4-6 players, no alternates on account of the fact this is my first time DMing a PbP and I'd like to keep it simple.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? This Forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    ECL 3. Note that non-human characters are distrusted at best and hunted and killed at worst.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? 1000 gp, nothing magical.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? No clerics. No wizards. No beguilers. No psionics. No wu jen. Someone better have Heal as a class skill. I'm not about to go easy on you. Your character MUST have a legitimate way to have gained his/her class(es). Show me the homebrew if you want it allowed.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? As above: just show me the homebrew.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Roll for hit points. You are a ragtag bunch of misfits who really aren't supposed to be here and this is represented by the way I am determining your stats. 25 point buy or roll 4d6b3 in order for your stats, switch any two to represent training. If you want to roll, make 2 arrays and choose one.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    There is alignment for roleplaying and restrictions (paladins must be LG), but no alignment-specific spells. See point 13.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No penalties for multiclassing. Not everyone can be a sorcerer. You must start with at least 1 level of sorcerer, be a race with spell-like abilities, or be a race with sorcerer as its favored class to take levels in sorcerer over the course of the campaign.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Forum Dice Roller please. Make all the rolls you want.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Detect alignment, undetectable alignment, protection from alignment, Alignment-specific domains, anything else that does something like that, out. Any spells that deals bonus damage/effects against a creature of a certain alignment now either deals that extra damage to arcane spellcasters, divine spellcasters, or non-spellcasters (Something that affected evil now affects arcane, something that affected chaos now affects divine, something that affected law now affects the non-spellcasters, something that affects good has no equivalent.) Elf Favored Class is Sorcerer instead of Wizard.

Other:

Monk: Full BAB
    A partial Flurry (as flurry, but no extra attacks from high BAB) can be made as a standard attack starting at 2nd level.
    3rd Level Monk Extraordinary ability: Add Wisdom to all melee combat rolls (grapple, trip, bull rush, whatever)
    5th Level: Uncanny Dodge
    6th Level: Ki Strike as a +1 Weapon
    10th Level: Ki Strike (ghost touch, replaces Ki strike (lawful)), Improved Uncanny Dodge
    12th Level: Ki Strike as a +2 Weapon that deals slashing damage as well,
    Abundant Step usable a number of times/day equal to Wisdom modifier.
    16th Level: Ki Strike (adamantine)
    20th Level: Ki Strike as a +3 Weapon that deals piercing damage as well.

Paladin(Witch-hunter): Smite Arcane (Replaces Smite Evil) granted at a different progression (1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 20th) as opposed to whatever it does right now.
    Gain Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft as class skills.
    Replace Detect Evil with Detect Magic
    Remove Disease X/Week is replaced by Greater Dispel Magic (Targeted only) as a Spell-Like Melee Touch Attack usable X times/day. Caster Level = Paladin Level
    Remove Aura of Courage
    8th Level Paladin Ability: The paladin gains spell resistance=Paladin level+Charisma score.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Yes. I need to know how you obtained your class and what the heck are you doing in the sewers of the capital of a human country anyways? In addition, those who write good backstories get 100 roleplaying XP. Those who have a special item from their backstory get a +1 bonus on Will saves when it is in their possession and a -2 morale penalty when it is lost or destroyed. Really good backstories will have a small story arc devoted to them. (Yes, I am shamelessly bribing you here.)

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Lots of roleplaying (roleplaying XP is available), quite a lot of hack and slash, definitely at least a little puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? SRD, Completes (Arcane/Divine/Warrior/Adventurer/Scoundrel/Mage), PHB 2, the web with my approval (classes like the marshal, anything from an excerpt of the rulebooks)

Characters:
    Audric
    Rána
    Antal Nirum
    Llaars Hayden
    Rowan

Not-so-new-or-shiny OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8942235
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-14 at 02:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

Listen: (1d20+8)[25]
    Spot:(1d20+6)[10]
    Fort:(1d20+5)[8] Spent an inspiration point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Listen: (1d20)[7]
    Spot: (1d20)[9]
    Fortitude: (1d20+5)[14]

Spoiler
    Show
    If we're doing colors, I call DarkGreen

"I deal with peasants every day, but they don't even stink this bad. These idiots better be in here."
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-24 at 12:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric is walking through the sewers, an expression of disgust etched on his face at the smell. Now it was clear why the order decided to send him on this assignment-someone of his detractors must have said a word to the right ear... his plate is unconfortable, the smell is making him sick, and all he wants is to be anywhere but here. He sighs quietly to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please, dices, don't hate me like you usually do...

listen - (1d20+3)[5]
    spot - (1d20+3)[7] ooops, it was -10... So, never mind.
    fortitude - (1d20+7)[14]]

Question: are we going to use this same thread for the OOC? Is it ok if we put it in spoilers?

EDIT: are we claiming colors? Purple is what I usually post in, and I just know I'm going to forget and post in purple even if I choose another color, so purple for me .
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-24 at 12:19 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20-1)[9]
    Spot: (1d20-11)[-2]
    Fort: (1d20+7)[25]

Rowan grimaces slightly as she steps around a collection of halfling-sized bones. "Have to be mad to live down here…" Her nose wrinkles slightly from the stench, but she soldiers on.

Can't get any more lost, after all.
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2010-06-23 at 11:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana

Both druid and wolf are moving cautiously, on high alert. "Did we lose them?" Rana whispers to Shadow. He just wrinkles his nose in reply. She sighs. Coming to this city was a bad idea. They both would be happier back in the woods; why did she have to give in to the momentary weakness of wanting a bath? Not that having one mattered, now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana: Spot - (1d20+3)[7]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[26]
    Fort - (1d20+4)[20]

Shadow: Spot - (1d20-2)[7]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[8]
    Fort - (1d20+6)[16]

Firebird, not only do we have the whole tiny-woman-whose-name-starts-with-R thing going, and the some-dude-named-Garrick/Garrik thing, but you took my speaking color! Are you my long-lost twin or something?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok. Everyone except Rána, Rowan, and Shadow takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Antal and Rána hear:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A voice down to your left, and the sound of footsteps splashing through the dark passageways. There is yelling and muffled sounds of combat. You can both hear what they are saying....
    "Get that no good scaled scum!"
    "Please, you don't understand!"
    "The only thing we need to understand is that you're an elf. A green, scaly, elf. The captain'll pay good money for your head."
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-06-24 at 12:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Rana

Rana hisses. (Spoilering a bit because not everyone knows what's going on)
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, she hates elves, because they hate her. On the other hand, it sounds like this elf is being hunted just because of his race, and that's something she's had a lot of experience with. And a green, scaly elf? Might be a mongrel, like her.

The thoughts flick through her head in seconds, and she makes up her mind. With a quick hand gesture to Shadow, she heads towards the sound, the wolf close at her heels. Both are moving as quietly as they can, given the fact that they are in the sewers.

Rana: Hide (1d20+6)[20] and Move silently (1d20+6)[15]

Shadow: Hide (1d20+6)[10] and Move silently (1d20+6)[25]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric sighs again. So far, he has walked past (and in one case stepped right on) rotten corpses, organic waste and other things better left unidentified, but hasn't seen or heard anything. And the smell is really getting to him. He stops for a moment, focusing inwards and calling on the abilities he has been taught. He doesn't want to be here, but nonetheless he has a job to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic. Poor Audric is having a bad day
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-24 at 01:19 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric:
    Spoiler
    Show
    senses faint magic in front and a little to the right of him, on the edge of the possible range (60 feet). There are also one or two sources of moderate magic.

Note the new magic levels:
    Aura levels:
    Faint (0th-1st level, any spell-like ability): 1d6 hours
    Moderate (2nd-4th): 2d6 days
    Strong (5th-7th): 2d6 weeks, not blocked by dirt or less than 10 feet of stone
    Overwhelming (8th-9th): 1d4 months, not blocked by stone or metal (except lead)
    Epic: (Anything above 9th): 1d12 years, not blocked by anything

Rana:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rána can see the guards and the elf now. One guard is tall and burly with dark brown hair, wielding a big axe and looking distinctly pleased with himself. The other is smaller, with paler hair and a large nose, and looks quicker. He has a timid sort of expression. He has a longsword in one hand and a shield in the other. Both wear studded leather.

The elf is male...you think, anyways (Spot check), with long pale hair, which is green at the ends. His(her?) long ears look a little like fins and the edges are green as well. There are tiny green scales on the sides of the elf's neck and the back of his or her hands, which are tipped with small claws. One hand holds a glowing rock, and he(she?) looks terrified.

The guard with the big nose whips around, looking in your direction. "Oy, Fred! There's a-a-a-"
    "A what, little boy? A rat?"
    "No-no-no! I swear, I think there's a wolf!"

The big one, Fred, looks in your general direction. "I don't see nuthin'. It's probably just a hunk o' wood or somethin' like that."

The elf's eyes flash in your direction for a brief moment. You don't know if it saw you or not.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-06-24 at 01:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Rana

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot, first of all: (1d20+3)[16] (I'm assuming I still have the penalty, otherwise add 5 to the roll)

Rana presses herself up against the wall and watches the scene for a moment. Her thoughts are in turmoil; should she step in? If the elf isn't fit enough to survive on his own, well, her choice is clear. On the other hand, two against one is rarely fair odds. And that elf - so strange looking.

OOC: She'll probably make up her mind to act in just a couple of seconds, and certainly if they move to harm the elf.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

12. - Top - End - #12

Not wanting to be here any longer than necessary, Llaars speed up his pace. He's grinning now; no doubt because he imagining the faces of those street punks after he's done rearranging them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, no more penalty on the spot check for now. That glowing rock provides plenty of illumination.

You have determined that the elf is a male. A very scared male.

Fred moves forward slowly, gripping the handle of his axe tightly in both hands. He smiles, showing crooked yellow teeth. Now, look. You don't seem like the brightest sort of vermin here. That head of yours, well I'd bet you're barely using it! Why don't I just take it off your hands...or should I say...your neck!"

The elf jerks backwards in fright, slamming into the other guard's legs. The skinny little man shows a surprising amount of strength, barely budging. They laugh, a discordant, cruel sound without any trace of humor.

Ok, everyone except Antal and Rana roll Listen checks again (you two already found the hook, so that would just be redundant)

14. - Top - End - #14

Listen: (1d20)[4]

Spoiler
    Show
    Llaars wiggles his finger around in his ear to remove some wax that had been irritating him...
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-24 at 02:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Sensing the aura of magic, Audric picks up the pace, moving in that general direction. Finally. He was beginning to think he had been sent on a fool's errand, just so that people could have a laugh at his expenses. Just for precaution, he unslings his longsword, and strains his ears hoping to hear something.

listen - (1d20+3)[14] [EDIT= actually it's 12: I forgot the -2 penality]
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-24 at 06:59 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Rowan

Rowan briefly considers yelling to whoever needs the note to come and get it, but stifles the urge with a quick snicker. Juuusst keep walking…

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20-1)[1]

We must be twins. It's the only explanation. Either that or I'm stalking you…

(I'm not.)

EDIT: Oy. See, I guess I must be playing a variation of the big dumb fighter, wandering along until she runs into something…
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2010-06-24 at 10:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric:
    Spoiler
    Show

Audric hears the sound of cruel laughter, coming from the same location as the magical auras. He also thinks that he might have heard another voice...this one more familiar.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric quickens his pace even more, keeping his longsword at the ready.
    Spoiler
    Show

People laughing that way are never a good sign... he thinks. And that voice....

OOC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Audric:
    He also thinks that he might have heard another voice...this one more familiar.
    Oh? Wonder who that might be....
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-24 at 05:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric soon arrives at the source of the magical auras.
    Spoiler
    Show

He can see two guards and an elf now. One guard is tall and burly with dark brown hair, wielding a big axe and looking distinctly pleased with himself. The other is smaller, with paler hair and a large nose, and looks quicker. He has a longsword in one hand and a shield in the other. Both wear studded leather.

The elf is male...you think, anyways (Spot check), with long pale hair, which is green at the ends. His(her?) long ears look a little like fins and the edges are green as well. There are tiny green scales on the sides of the elf's neck and the back of his or her hands, which are tipped with small claws. A glowing rock lies a small distance away.

Now Audric and Rána can both see the following:
    Spoiler
    Show

The burly guard raises his axe, swinging it down. The elf tries to scramble away, but is not fast enough. The greataxe slices into the elf's shoulder.

The scene is as follows: The sewer stretches into the distance to the east, west, and southwest. It curves sharply at the east area. The sewer is 15 feet wide by 7-10 feet tall, and the straight portion is 60 feet long, curving away at the east and west. Rána and Shadow are hidden behind a pile of rubble(5 feet long, 8 feet across the alley, 3 feet high) 10 feet back from the SW entrance, and is 25 feet away from the guards. Audric is at the East entrance, and is 40 feet away from the guards. The guards stand in a line, 5 feet away from the wall and 5 feet to the right of Rána. From east to west: the axe-wielder, the Elf (prone), and the skinny one with the big nose.

Initiative, please.

20. - Top - End - #20

Rana

Initiative: (1d20+2)[6]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DM and Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Audric stops, taking in the scene for a moment, before advancing another couple of steps.
    "What is happening here?" he asks to the guards, trying to sound authoritarian "I'm a paladin of Aldaran. Explain the situation to me. "

initiative - (1d20+2)[5]
    spot - (1d20-10)[-4] (or +1 if I don't have the penality anymore, in which case it should be 7)
    Also, should it be needed diplomacy - (1d20+7)[20]

EDIT:OOC (everyone)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where's Jallorn? He posted just once and then disappeared... Also, skill checks (expecially listen checks) seem to hate us. Hope you can join us soon.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-25 at 12:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. I don't know where Jallorn is either. Ah well. On with the exciting stuffs.

Audric and Rana:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, there is no more penalty on the spot checks for either of you. The skinny guard turns to look at Audric. "Just caught an elf, sir. A scaly one at that. It's a crazy world, ain't it?" The burly one looks up. "Don't mind us, sir. Just collecting a head."

(1d20+8)[18]

The elf moves swiftly, slamming a clawed hand into the burly guard's gut and tumbling out of the way before either of the guards can hit it.

The skinny guard moves a split second later, dashing up to the elf and stabbing it in the back.

FYI: Turn order:
    Elf
    Skinny
    Rana
    Audric
    Burly
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-06-25 at 01:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check:(1d20)[5]
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[11]

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well the dc to hear an ongoing battle is -10 so maybe i made it...
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-25 at 02:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Llaars hears the sound of someone falling and a loud yell.

Battle notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

New turn order:
    Elf
    Skinny
    Llaars's Turn (70 feet away from the battle, down the East sewer. It twists and turns, so no using the Run action.)
    Rana
    Audric
    Burly
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-06-25 at 02:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Llaars hears the yell and starts moving as fast as he can down the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move toward the yell.

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler
    Show

Should I just keep making Listen checks, then?

Also, my internet access is going to be a bit spotty for the next couple days - don't worry, I haven't abandoned the game.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that's fine. Or you could just use the fact that Rowan failed her Listen checks as an excuse to fix your internet. I'm going to unspoiler the fight at this point.

-----

Audric sees a scruffy man dash past him, towards the guards. Rana sees the man come out of nowhere.

Rana's turn.

28. - Top - End - #28

Delay until after Audric's turn. (Sorry, I hate to mess up intiative like that, but realistically, she wants to know if she's going to be fighting a paladin or not.)
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Savannah, I love you. I was actually debating about speaking outside my turn (free action and all that jazz ) but felt it could be percieved as too overbearing, and didn't.

Audric frowns at the entrance of the third person. The situation is rapidly getting out of hand, and he won't stand for it - and he wants to know what's wrong with that unusual elf, and it would be more helpful to the order if he discovers if the elf has associates, and...but mostly, even if he tries to deny it, seeing the two arrogant guards looming over a single elf, laughing, didn't sit well with him.

"Leave him to me. That's order business - I'll see to it that you collect your reward all the same." he orders the guards, and then, to the elf, switching to elven "[I promise you I will not hurt you if you come willingly, but I can't say the same for the others. It's your choice.]"

He advances a couple of steps in the elf direction, keeping his weapon down and away from his body and his posture as unthreatening as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving, 30 feet towards the guards and the elf...aaaand I really do hope the "elf" understands elven, and it's not a different species entirely...
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-26 at 08:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, also, since I can make another action (I think): Spot - (1d20+1)[12] to get a better look at the elf, since I failed before.