New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

Yeah. Doesn't work. And, incidentally, there goes your move action.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, well. I had to try - it made sense to me and in character.

EDIT: Savannah's turn,then?
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-26 at 10:52 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Still need your standard action though.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. ... sorry, my lack of experience might be showing. Well, in that case, I can try negotiation again, can't I? (please point out to me when I'm doing something against the rules, it will probably be a matter of ignorance)

Audric knits his brows at the lack of reaction at his words, surprised at the elf's lack of recognition Is my grasp of the language that bad? before repeating what he said before, this time in common. At the same time, however, he raises his sword, keeping it at the ready. The situation is strange, and he wants to be prepared for anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to ready an attack action in case someone decides to strike at him - but Audric isn't going to attack if there's a chance at resolving the situation peacefully.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

The elf whips around to look at him. "Why should I trust you, human! it says in Common. Its accent is atrocious, but the elf's meaning is clear. "Your kind has brought me and my kith nothing but hardship."

The skinny guard glares at Audric, his sword still raised. "You swear, by Alderan, that we'll get our fair share of the bounty?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods at the guard, trying not to let his irritation show: " I do, and a paladin's promise is sacred, no matter to whom is made." As you should know, you fool. he adds silently in his head. Well, the elf might be justified, the guard...much less so. I'll talk to my superiors, see to it that they get some money. The important thing is that they get out of the way now. The less variables to control, the better, in Audric's opinion. And he still wants to know what was up with that elf, a fact that might be unattainable with those two in the way - three, if you counted the scruffy man, but Audric still isn't sure of who he is, and is focusing on one issue at a time.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-26 at 12:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana

Well, that hardly makes it easier to decide. A paladin, damnit! At least he seems somewhat reasonable, and I really want to see what that elf is. I guess I have no choice. During her run through the sewers, Rana has fixed her hood to conceal her race:

A cloaked figure, hood pulled down, steps out of the shadows. It is female, and very small, but beyond that you can't make anything out about it. Behind it, an enormous black wolf steps out of the shadows and walks to the figure's side. She rests her hand on the wolf's shoulder.

"Let's not have any bloodshed, gentlemen." The wolf snarls silently.

Intimidate: (1d20+2)[4] (do I get a circumstance bonus for the wolf? )
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I must've forgotten to subscribe. Where should I go from here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would suggest rolling iniative as you were one of the only two who made the initial listen check. Might wanna read over the rest of the thread first.
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-26 at 04:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Initiative (I guess): (1d20+5)[16]
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

The guards both jerk away slightly. Clearly they are unnerved by the sudden presence of a large wolf. "Uh..we'll be going now. If you need either of us mister, just look for Frederick Wainwright and Jimmy Skinner, of the City Guard. They scamper away as fast as their legs will take them.

Ok. Since you were late, Jallorn, your initiative is in the back. Should the fight begin again, the count will be as follows:

Mystery Elf
    Audric
    Rana
    Antal

Antal is located 80 feet away, down the southwest passage.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Antal runs towards the sounds, exceedingly disappointed in the sewers, he has shifted his attention to this new oddity, other people in the sewer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full out run towards the place.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

By Aldaran's righteous light, how is it that things keep getting more complicated?. Now there were two strange people, not counting the elf, to deal with. And the wolf, too. And his possible support, in the form of the guards, had just run away What if they're allies? Damn it, why couldn't I simply smite it like any other would have done, and call it a day?

Even if Audric is slightly unnerved, he doesn't let it show. Years of paladin training have had their effect. "Who are you and what is your purpose here?" he asks, to the woman with the wolf and to the other man. He still keeps an eye on the elf, but at the same time tries to discern more details of the new people that entered the scene, and the elf itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot - (1d20+1)[11]
    also listen - (1d20+1)[20] - Audric wants to know if the elf has any more "allies". And Detect Magic, again.

...yes, Audric is having a Really Bad Day (TM)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, a description.

You hear Antal first, the quick splish-splash of someone running. When he comes into sight, you first think that he is a child, until you realize that he has the wrong proportions, and is actually a halfling. Do any of you know what I thought would be so interesting down here? he asks jovially enough. In truth, he is rapidly absorbing information, whilst simultaneously trying to keep everyone else off guard.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Llaars stumbles toward the growing group of people. He quite a well built man and he looks like he would be handsome too, if it weren't for all the scars covering his face. He carries a longsword of remarkable craftsmanship on his back as well. Then he says with a grin,"I had no idea the sewers were so popular this time of day." He thinks for a second. "Any of you happen to see any punks running around here with a big bag of money?"

Stupid guards weren't doing their jobs.

He finally notices the elf and offers him a hand to help him up."You don't look too good fella. What the hell are all you people doing down here anyway?"
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-27 at 02:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I was bored. Just got here myself, so I have no clue 'bout these others. Big bag of money you say?
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2010-06-27 at 02:32 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    I was bored. Just got here myself, so I have no clue 'bout these others. Big bag of money you say?
    "Yeah, the bastards made off with it while I was stockin' ale in the back of my tavern. I asked around about the punks who did it and everybody pointed me here. Here I was thinkin' those guards were doin' their jobs for once." He gestures toward burly and skinny as they walk away.
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-27 at 02:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric opens and closes his mouth a couple of times, but no sound comes out. The effect, on a big, armored man like he is, results somewhat comical. Not the elf's allies, then, but a bunch of... cretins. And why do more people keep arriving? then, trying to regain a semblance of control of the situation. "Step away from that elf, now. And let me do my job." he says, mainly to Llaars. The woman with the wolf still worries him, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the “cretins” comment, guys. Usually Audric is less harsh than this in his judgment, but he is a bit stressed out at the moment. You know I love you all, right?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

She doesn't really look like most elves, Antal says, stepping closer and getting a good look.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

He raises an eyebrow and grins at being commanded by a complete stranger, but then turns his attention back to the elf. "Taking on two guards by yourself was a stupid idea, you shoulda kept runnin'." He offer him his hand again. "Now stand up, you may be a leafblood but I hate lookin' down on a man who's ballsy enough to do whatever it is you're doin'." He looks back at the group of people he had been ignoring. "So any more of ya'll tryin' to collect some kind of bounty down here?" He puts on a tough face and crosses his arms.
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-06-27 at 11:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Rana

The woman with the wolf looks at the paladin. "I am Rana. This is Shadow. And you?"

She walks towards the elf, pulling out bandages and a jar of salve as she goes. "Hold still a moment, and I'll have that patched up." Heal check: (1d20+7)[25]

(Have I gotten the results of my spot check to identify the elf's gender?)
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric stiffens, his sword still half-raised. Then, he sighs and relaxes his posture. As he sees it, he has now two options: he can keep acting all mighty and uncompromising, or do what will actually work (and, incidentally, comes more natural to him) to get the information he wants. With that in mind, he sheathes his sword, taking the final steps towards the elf.

"My name is Audric. I'm a paladin of Aldaran, and I'm very interested in what you're doing down here...but I think you could guess that. "

He crouches down near the elf, to appear less threatening, and also to take a good look at it, and, while he is at it, also at the woman with the wolf. Cloaked figures, in his experience, are always suspicious.

23. - Top - End - #53

Strawberries (& DM):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shall we do my Disguise vs. your Spot to see if you can tell I'm half-elf?

Disguise: (1d20+2)[7] I'll use this roll for anyone else trying to get a good look at me later.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Savannah and DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had not rolled again since I had already rolled a spot check before (and got 11), but, just in case it's needed
    spot - (1d20+1)[11]. Otherwise, feel free to ignore.
    EDIT: the dice gods must have decided that I roll 11 no matter what.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-27 at 03:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Strawberries and DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, didn't see your earlier roll.

You can tell that Rana is a half-elf, although she has clearly made an effort to hide it. ( that Disguise roll was terrible)
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Savannah and DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    The paladin's eyes narrow for a moment. You can tell he saw through your attempt at disguise. He says nothing, but his posture becomes more rigid, and his hand hovers near his sword

((sorry Savannah, but it looks like you and the elf are allies - Audric is going to be a little on edge))

27. - Top - End - #57

Strawberries & DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't apologize; it's perfectly reasonable!

After bandaging the elf, Rana casually leans towards Audric. "[And what now, human?]" she hisses in elvish.

Ajadea, I'll let you decide who gets listen checks to hear that.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

The elf looks up at Audric, distrust evident in his eyes. "Now what, paladin? Are you going to kill me instead?" he says in Common. His accent is barely noticable.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

((@ dm: does my spot check allow me to see anything else about the "elf", such as its sex?))

Huh. Its accent has improved Audric thinks fleetingly. He can feel an headache coming. Why do I always get in this situations?. But he knows the answer, of course: because he can't stand to be a bully. And a tiny bit because of his sister - but he doesn't like to think about that.

"I said I wouldn't, didn't I?" he tells the elf "And I said my word is sacred. But I still want to know what are you doing here. ((In elven)) [Both of you]"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-06-28 at 12:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

So what, are you going to let him go? Gods it smells down here though.

My own spot check, from 5 feet away:(1d20+6)[22]
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2010-06-28 at 12:05 AM.
    Show