New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

It's kinda complicated and the rope trades hands multiple times, but the girl is quite safely tied up. The mist, whatever it was, is still there, but the lights are winking out one by one. And then the paladins show up. Three of them. They step in, one glancing up at the sky as he does.

One is a tall, dark-haired young man, with Aldaran's symbol emblazoned upon his shield. He doesn't look like he's ever smiled in his life, and his dark eyes are narrowed. His gleaming full plate and dark, dull, longsword are both stained with blood.

The second paladin took one look at the scene and darted outside to puke, and the third is standing there completely stunned, auburn hair ponytailed back. He gapes at the scene, not bothering to conceal his shock. A sack, dripping red blood, falls to the ground and rolls out the door. His eyes dart from Rana to Rowan to Audric to the crazy girl and back to the dark-haired paladin, who frowns at the scene. "Audric, what is going on here?" the dark haired paladin says.

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

The dark-haired paladin is Keon. The stunned one is Aamir, and it's hard to tell why he's stunned: the bloody scene or the two girls (both of who, in a metagame sense, have above average Charisma. Just something to point out.)
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-14 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, dammit.. But of course it would be Keon, the way Audric's luck has been going lately. The guy gives Audric the creeps. Aldaran is probably pissed at me for something. Actually, I think I know exactly for what Audric thinks, trying to assess if there is enough room for Rana to make a run for it. Probably a bad idea, considering. He steps in front of the druid, trying to keep Keon's attention focused on him, speaking as if what he's doing is a perfectly normal course of action.

"Investigating some weird occurrences, I might even need your help". He subtly gestures for Antal to come nearer. "What are you doing here?" he asks, looking at Keon's bloodstained weapon, but directing the question mainly to Aamir, as he is the most likely to answer "Was there some trouble outside?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: Ahem. "Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" . Well, I think I actually do have a plan. No idea if it'll work, tho. ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-09-14 at 02:34 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't think you want to know. I really don't think you want to know." Aamir says, shuddering. "Unless you want to have nightmares for the rest of your life." Keon shakes his head, reaching in to a pocket. "We were wrong to believe the war was won. That the banned arts would be forgotten. We have found and slain three monsters in the last two weeks alone. Each carried one of these."

He passes a strip of thick cloth to Audric. It is purple, with a yellow line embroidered across the center. On one side of the line, there is a yellow half-circle. Runes are embroidered around the edge in white thread. It is slightly slimy. "It is Old Draconic. A dead language. But the meaning is clear enough. It is a banner, rallying the monsters to oppose Aldaran, the priesthood, and all civilization. We managed to get a few words out of one of the beasts. They are led by a council of seven, and at least one of those seven resides in this city. These traitors to humanity must be destroyed."
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-14 at 05:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Behind Audric, Rana has been quietly adjusting her hair to make sure it fully covers her ears. She also has Shadow sit, trying to make him look as non-threatening and dog-like as possible.

Once that is taken care of she continues to crouch over the girl, looking down, and pretending to be checking the ropes and bandages.

As an afterthought, she casually brushes the girl's hair to cover as much of her face as possible, hopefully hiding her race as well.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

"That's...highly worrying, of course. It must be stopped. Has this been reported to the order?". If Audric keeps him talking, there is a slight chance Keon won't use his abilities to detect magic in the room. That would get very awkward very fast. Which means he needs to direct his focus on something else.
    "What kind of monsters are we talking about?" he asks, fully aware that Keon's definition is probably way broader than his own. "I, too have seen some strange things in this couple of days. Weird, tadpole-like little things chocked to the brim with magic, just to mention one." he looks from Aamir to Keon, silently praying to Aldaran that they ask as little compromising questions as possible. Possibly not the optimal choice of divinity, considering, but he'll take what he can get.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

"The ones with enough latent magic to blow up a city? Yeah, that's part of it." Aamir says, shaking his head. "I'm just glad the tadpoles can't do anything, or else we'd be in for it. Well, more than we are now, anyways." Keon kneels by the pale girl, unfastening his gauntlet and laying a hand on her throat. He pauses, shaking his head in confusion. "Her heart still beats, yet she is as cold and still as a corpse."

Aamir sighs, shaking his head. "Squid-headed monsters, evil mages practicing some sort of banned art that no one's telling me about-" "For good reason!" comments a queasy voice from outside. "Shut up Devin. And now some girl who's dead, not dead, undead, not undead, and coated in more magic than anything I've ever seen in my life. Like, four or five different types of magic at minimum. And it's debatable if she's even alive, and that sort of thing should not be something you debate about. Is it just me or is life rapidly becoming much too complicated?"
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-15 at 12:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods. He can relate. "Tell me about it, buddy." he says sympathetically. But what the hell does he mean, coated in magic? The girl wasn't magical at all, last time Audric checked. Is he picking up Rana's aura as well, and making confusion?

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic. Because I am as confused as Audric.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-09-15 at 01:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars, not very good at dealing with authority, chooses to sit quietly next to the girl, possibly blocking Rana from the view of the paladins. "So what do we do now?" He mumbled not to anyone in particular.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, yeah. He's mixing up Rana's magic with some sort of billion-layered enchantment that must have awakened when she attacked. Brilliant purple light entangled within a shattered illusion of nothingness, a song of pure light and bitter cold, the scent of fresh blood and old blood and grave dirt, and apparently he mixed up Rana's magic in there as well.

To summarize, a ton of magic wrapped in a mixed illusion/abjuration that broke when she fell unconscious.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-15 at 12:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

.....Oh. That explained it, then. And I guess I should be greteful to Aldaran that the girl's aura is strong enough for Rana's to be confused with it...

Audric throws a look at Keon, to see if he is still focused on the unconscious girl, taking advantage of it to silently mouth to Aamir "Get him out of here. I'll owe you.". Then he turns again to the girl and the paladin next to her.
    "I've never seen anything quite like it in my life, either" he says "Fortunately, the situation here is well-in-hand.". Or it was, before that fanatical creep showed up. But that is a minor detail Audric doesn't feel guilty to omit. "You were...carrying something, I think? Were you headed back to the temple?"

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes. We are trying to determine where these monsters are coming from." Keon says, standing up and nodding. "Keon, let's go, Audric's got it covered, come on, we shouldn't be delaying..." Aamir isn't always good under pressure, and most of the time, having Keon around qualifies as pressure. "Audric, bring anything you find to the temple." Keon leaves. "You owe me!" Aamir whispers, before running to catch up with the other paladins.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric waits till the other paladins are safely out the door, before releasing the breath he had been holding. His hands are shaking slightly, probably for the released tension. "Thank Aldaran he's gone. I don't want to do this ever again." he says quietly, passing one hand over his eyes. He had been terrified on Rana's account.

"Very well. Now, when I said the girl wasn't magic? I might have made a mistake." he says in a more normal tone of voice, visibly forcing himself to return to the matter at hand. To the druid "You should be grateful for it, too. It's the only thing that prevented Aamir and Keon to find out about you. Your aura mixed with hers."

EDIT:OOC

Spoiler
    Show
    For the record, it's not that he doesn't care about Antal. But he is not aware of Antal's abilities, yet.

Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-09-16 at 02:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643

Rana stands up slowly, before looking at Audric. "So, what are you going to do now? They're going to expect you to bring the girl in; if you don't they'll come after us. She said that she had a message for - I can't remember, someone. We should find out what that is before you turn her in."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ajadea: Am I right in thinking that turning the girl in would basically result in her being tortured and killed? Or am I picturing the situation as more black than it is?
    Oh, and, since I'm still without armor, can I assume Rana has it as well and take advantage of the relative calm to don it?

The paladin looks almost offended for a moment. "I do not want to turn her in. Who do you take me for? And Keon didn't ask for her specifically. He probably assumed I would kill her - it's the way he reasons, anyhow." Audric shudders in thinking about it, kneeling again near the girl, and gently brushing the hair away from her face.

"Now. I can't heal her - actually I can't heal anybody, at the moment. And I'm not sure healing magic wouldn't make her worse. We could have a look around the house, see if there's something useful, or some other clues. Unless you have other suggestions.". He sighs. He can't be sure that the rest of the house is safe, and they are all still injuried. "I should have probably asked Aamir or Keon to heal us, but I wanted them out of here as quickly as possible. You'll forgive me for it."

15. - Top - End - #645

"You think they're gonna stay gone for long? What with all the magic floatin' around here." He stands and walks to where he remembers the sorceress disappearing and taps it with his foot, hoping for a trapdoor. "Whatever we're doin' here, we better get it done fast."

16. - Top - End - #646

Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize for what Rana has said and will say...

Rana looks at Audric for a long moment before replying, "Sometimes, what is necessary and what you want cannot be reconciled. As long as they do not expect a body, however, you may be able to salvage this." She shakes her head, looking at the girl, then says, almost as an afterthought, "It's just as well you didn't ask for their healing. I'd rather let it bleed than be touched by a paladin."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's perfectly all right. I'm not offended, Audric is. A iittle bit.

Audric sets his jaw. He understands, but Rana's words hurt all the same. "I apologize in advance,then" he says, in clipped tones. "Because should the occasion arise, I will heal you.".
    He gets up from where he is crouching, taking a couple of steps towards the skeleton-less body of the short woman "Llaars is right, time is of the essence. Maybe she was carrying something that could help us" he says, fighting over his disgust to search the woman's body.

search - (1d20+1)[17]

18. - Top - End - #648

"No, I- I didn't- Damn it." Rana hides her face in her hands for a moment. Shadow comes over and nudges her side gently.

Taking a deep breath, Rana looks around the house. "You're right. We need to look around and get out of here soon."

Spoiler
    Show
    She forgot. She really did
    And now she's mad that she forgot.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

Gain...1000 XP each, for being alive despite the whole 'let's split up' idea. I like assigning XP by arc, not per encounter, so you'll get bigger chunks of XP less frequently. I can start assigning XP by encounter if you prefer it that way, however.

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Ajadea: Am I right in thinking that turning the girl in would basically result in her being tortured and killed? Or am I picturing the situation as more black than it is?
    Oh, and, since I'm still without armor, can I assume Rana has it as well and take advantage of the relative calm to don it?
    Sort of, and yes. Tortured? Not likely. Interrogated and killed, but not torture. That's 'evil'.

You find five small black vials labeled with characters that you recognize as Elven hidden in the rags she wears. Essence of Deathblade, if the labels are correct. An extremely potent poison distilled from the leaves of a marsh plant.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-17 at 12:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

Antal has been uncharacteristically silent lately, and is now looking rather perturbed, I hate not knowing any more than anyone else, I feel so helpless!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite the situation, at the halfling's words, Audric can't help but smile a litte. "Now you know how I felt when I woke up in that place where you brought me. Which, by the way, we are going to have a conversation about. As soon as we sort this mess.". He doesn't seem particularly angry, however. After all, they did save his life, even if a bit...unorthodoxly.

He shows the vials he found to the others "Poison" he says with distaste. "Nothing useful, I fear." Then carefully circling the room, inspecting it for anything they could have missed. "Where did that girl come from? The stairs?" he asks

Search - (1d20+1)[6] to look around the room.
    EDIT: ((uh...help? ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-09-18 at 03:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #652

Llaars peers into the doorway the girl originally burst from. "I'm pretty sure she came from back here."

He felt in the pit of his stomach that there were probably more horrors lurking around the corner. I'm not bleeding yet... that means the worst is gonna be comin' up soon...

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20)[2]

23. - Top - End - #653

"Yes, she came from over there."

Rana checks the current room before heading into the room the girl came from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d20+4)[19]
    Always happy to help
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing of note.

The first thing you notice is the smell. The sharp odor of acid, alchemical substances, burnt stew, cheap soap, and medicinal herbs do not adequately mask the scent of rotted flesh, old vomit, and blood. The hallway is stained with some dark patches, but the lighting is not good enough for you to make out exactly what marks the floor.

You open the door to the room. A straw-filled canvas mattress on a low brick platform is next to the far wall. The mattress has many faded bloodstains on it. To your right there is an empty fireplace and a dark wood table with rough linen bandages, different salves in small ceramic jars, dried herbs, all almost identical in the horrid lighting, a worn stone mortar and pestle, and a small metal pot for poultices scattered over it. A thin dark red book is open on the table, an inkpen and open inkwell next to it. The room is illuminated by a flickering, ghostly, blue light emanating from the lantern on the ceiling.

To your left, there is a thick dark blue cloth hanging from the ceiling, embroidered with beautiful images of heroes and villains battling, watched over by angels, their silver and golden forms a stark contrast to the white, gray, and red threads that form the images of the mortals. Pale blue threads create the image of an eye at the top of the cloth.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-19 at 12:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric hesitates a moment before stepping past the threshold, signaling to the others to stay alert, his eyes moving around the room and trying to figure if there are possible dangers. If he can't see anything unusual he steps near the table, examining the stuff on it, but focusing mainly on the salves and the book. He is hoping to find something useful about the girl in the other room.

Spoiler
    Show

listen - (1d20+3)[10] to figure out if there is someone hidden
    search - (1d20+1)[7] to see if there is anything unusual around the room
    Spot - (1d20+3)[22] to examine the things on the tables

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize quite a few of the plants. A bundle of willow bark and a jar of poppy seeds, to reduce pain. Dried jewelweed leaves, for cuts. Cattail roots, for burns. Feverfew and meadowsweet for colds. Sage to sharpen the mind. Yarrow to cure poison. Violets for sore throat. Nothing odd.

The mistletoe, dried oleander leaves, leaves from the yew tree, holly berries, and the basket of thorn-apples and rhubarb are...less than normal. Mistletoe can cause instant death, as can yew and oleander. Rhubarb is not a medicinal plant, and this is not a kitchen.

The little book contains instructions on far more than simple poultices. Instructions for distilling poisons are also scripted into that innocuous little red book. Twelve black lotus petals, crushed, strained, and boiled in a cold iron vessel for forty-eight hours creates a single dose of extremely potent poison that soaks through the skin into the blood, causing instant death.

Rhubarb leaves can be substituted for terinav roots; reverse-boil the a pound of leaves or half a pound of roots in a blue ice jar, crush into powder, let it sit for a day and night, and let add enough fresh thorn-apple juice so that it becomes a thick paste.

And that's just what you can see on the two pages the book is open to.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric grimaces in distaste at the sight of the book, picking it up and leafing through the pages. He is careful not to touch anything with his bare hands. "Rana" he calls to the half-elf "You might want to take a look at these herbs". There might be something there that she can use. She is a druid, after all - and, as soon as she harms noone, Audric isn't going to think about that too closely. Less headaches that way.

28. - Top - End - #658

Seeing that nothing has harmed Audric, Rana gingerly enters the room. She examines the herbs, as he suggested.

Pick the appropriate check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Craft (herbal medicines): (1d20+6)[10] (yes, she does have ranks in this )
    Heal: (1d20+7)[15]
    Knowledge (nature): (1d20+11)[23]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize most of the plants and such. A bundle of willow bark and a jar of poppy seeds, to reduce pain. Dried jewelweed leaves, for cuts. Cattail roots, for deeper wounds and burns, though it also makes passable soup. Feverfew and meadowsweet for colds. A ceramic dish of poppy heads, oozing sap that, when dried and powdered, is a potent sedative. Valerian, also a sedative. Roots of arnica, to treat bruises and sprains. Perhaps some would be useful for Antal, who is really sporting quite a black eye.

Chamomile to relax the body and mind. May be useful, considering the simple insanity that today has brought. Stinging nettle to relieve arthritis. Mugwort for breech births. Sage to sharpen the mind. Yarrow to cure poison. Violets for sore throat. Comfrey for broken bones. All normal for healers.

The mistletoe, dried oleander leaves, hyacinth bulbs, foxglove leaves, hemlock, nightshade, aconite (aka wolfsbane), branches from the yew tree, holly berries, and the basket of thorn-apples are not normal. All are poisonous. All can be fatal poisons if consumed.

For that matter, the tangled lump of ivy, fresh rhubarb, and shredded green-tinged potato are all toxic as well, though not fatal so much.
    ---
    The little book contains instructions on far more than simple poultices. Instructions for distilling poisons are also scripted into that innocuous little red book. Twelve black lotus petals, crushed, strained, and boiled in a cold iron vessel for forty-eight hours creates a single dose of extremely potent poison that soaks through the skin into the blood, causing instant death.

Fresh rhubarb leaves can be substituted for terinav roots; reverse-boil the a pound of leaves or half a pound of roots in a blue ice jar, crush into powder, let it sit for a day and night, and let add enough fresh thorn-apple juice so that it becomes a thick paste. The resulting poison numbs the body and slows the reflexes drastically.

And that's just what you can see on the two pages the book is open to.

30. - Top - End - #660

"Well, this could all be useful. I'll gather it up, if you want to finish checking the room." Rana begins to do so.

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's taking it all, including the poisonous items. She also wants the book.

Note that she's not lying; it can all be useful. She's just...leaving out...how it can be useful.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.