New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

"Yes. Yes I can."

Ajadea, what's the ruling on retrying her Spellcraft check now that she knows what the spells are?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

Go ahead, and the knowledge of what to look for grants a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check. If you fail this one, the normal 24 hour rule applies.

3. - Top - End - #723

Rana again studies the scrolls. "I'm afraid I still can't make them out. Whoever wrote these must have used a different notation than I'm used to. I'll look at them tomorrow and see if I can figure them out." She shakes her head sadly.

"In the meantime, I can infuse these berries with healing energy, but I don't think it would be safe to feed them to her now, and I'd rather not chew them up for her. Anyone else got any ideas?"

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 21 Spellcraft check (1d20+6)[8]

Edit:
    Last edited by Savannah; 2010-10-16 at 03:10 PM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ll have to rest before I can heal anyone” Audric takes a small vial out of his backpack “But I got this too. It’s a healing potion.” he says, holding it out for Rana and the others to see.

He bites his lips, obviously worried “However” he adds, frowning “She is undead – in part, at least. I’m not sure what effect healing of any kind will have on her. And it’s difficult to predict how strong a potion is. Perhaps we should wait to see if she wakes on her own. And if I rest, I should be able to exercise a modicum of control on my powers when I heal her. Stop if I seem to be causing damage.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge religion: (1d20+3)[11]. To the best of my guessing, what will happen if we try to heal someone who is apparently an half-undead, either with a potion or a paladin’s lay on hands?

I'm not sure if I managed to convey Audric's reasoning. If the post isn't clear I'll explain it OOC. And of course, tell me IC what you think.

Oh also, Ajadea, what time it is in-game?

EDIT: Knowledge rolls are not my friends...
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-10-18 at 09:01 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #725

Rana frowns, "I hadn't considered that. Perhaps the best thing is to go ahead and let her recover on her own then. I can certainly keep an eye on her and help her as best I can with herbs."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably something around afternoon, think 3 o'clock ish or something like that.

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

You're not sure. You've never seen any half-undead creatures before. Humans get healed, undead disintegrate. Doing both at the same time seems rather unfeasable.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric seems to consider the issue for another moment, then nods, putting the vial back in his pack “I agree. We’ll let her be for the moment, I don’t want to cause her harm. Please do what you can for her.” He is standing near the bed where the girl is, looking at the others and speaking in a low, serious tone.

There are some things we need to discuss, however. It seems we stumbled into something big. And we need to share all the information we gathered. All. Of them.” he says, deliberately slow, looking Antal in the eyes."Otherwise, we’ll keep stumbling blindly as we have done till now. I don’t know if it was Aldaran or another of the gods who protected us, but we’re lucky if we didn’t end up dead. I want to avoid to put you in any more danger that we already are.

He thinks for a second where to start, then speaks again: “For instance, that sorceress said her name was Iil'ssaran. And that she was a disciple of Iil'xaatha ” He looks at the others, searching their faces for some hint of recognition. ”If this sounds familiar in some way, now it’d be a good time to speak up. Or if there is something else you think might be useful to share.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to try another knowledge religion roll to see if the names tell him something. I can't believe I didn't do it until now.
    (1d20+3)[12] EDIT: AAARGH!
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-10-20 at 02:02 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge checks to determine anything about the names:
    Arcana:(1d20+7)[20]
    Religion:(1d20+6)[15]
    Local:(1d20+8)[28]
    History:(1d20+8)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

9. - Top - End - #729

Spoiler
    Show
    I seriously doubt this will help, but.....
    Knowledge (nature) (1d20+11)[21]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    …This probably won't be at all relevant, but Knowledge: History: (1d20+8)[14]

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Iil'xaatha is a somwhat familiar name from the old bits and pieces of history you know of. Some sort of sorcerer-not-sorcerer who went crazy and blew up. Claimed that he wasn't born with magic, which would seem to contradict his abilities quite severely. A big kick in the face to all the limited arcane lore the humanoid society knew of. He was rather feared in his day. His day being about 500 years ago. Slain by paladins and a ton of adepts, the majority of which died when killing him.

He was a major player in the decision of the Church of Aldaran to begin training paladins the way they do today, though they've never, as far as you know, been on good terms with any arcanists.

Also, the half-dead girl looks familiar. She's wanted by the Guild for stealing and taking on non-guild-sanctioned tasks. You'd probably get a good sum of money (at least 500 gp, in all probability) if you took her head down to the guild leader. Might even get Sia a promotion. She wasn't half-dead before though. It's the sort of thing someone would have mentioned.

Rowan
    Spoiler
    Show

Iil'xaatha is a vaguely familiar name from old history books. Some sort of sorcerer-not-sorcerer who went crazy and blew up. He was rather feared in his day. His day being about 500 years ago.

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Iil'xaatha was mentioned, before, in one of your classes. Big old scary guy, crazy disciples, forbidden lore. Died something like 450 years ago. He was slain by a team of skilled paladins and something else...a something else which is probably relevant but hasn't been seen in, well, 450 years.

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, besides the fact that the "benevolent healer" (cough cough) had enough extremely toxic plants in her workroom to kill a few thousand people with ease...not much. There's some dried chamomile petals in one of those boxes, though. Makes a tea that helps soothe the nerves and relax the mind.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-10-22 at 02:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Iil'xaatha was a sorcerer, though he claimed not to be. He died a long time ago though, almost 500 years ago, I don't see how he can have anything to do with... unless he's a part in name only.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #733
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I don't know a whole ton about magic, but I do know that the crochety old men who use it hate to let any of it go to waste... My point is, maybe he had students carrying on in his name?" Llaars ran his fingers through his hair several times, trying to clear his head. "That witch that tried to kill us back at the house definitely fits the profile."

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Antal shakes his head, There's supposed to be no way for people to learn magic, you have to have it in your blood, and since it usually comes natural to those sorts of people, it's not very often that they have any need to share knowledge.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2010-10-22 at 04:24 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

"That fits with what I know, too." Audric replies, looking thoughtful, as if he is trying to remember something "Iil'xaatha was killed something like 450 years ago, by paladins of my orders. And adepts. And something else I can't remember, but I never used to pay much attention in class when I was younger. Sorry." He was probably thinking about the girl he liked, at the time. Certainly not about old, uninteresing arcanist. He gives a little apologetic smile, before keeping talking, adding what little else he knows.

"He had disciples even back then, however. It stands to reason that his name might have remained as a banner to rally arcanists behind. Huh." Talking of banners made him remembrer something "It seems Keon was right about the old wars not having been won. Who'd have thought it wasn't one of his usual rants." He adds the last almost to himself.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-10-24 at 01:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Who is this Keon, maybe he knows more?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

"Keon. One of the two paladins that showed up when we were at the sorcerer's house. The dark-haired one that wouldn't smile if the fate of the world depended on it, that showed us the banner." It's pretty clear he dislikes Keon. "He said they were investigating about strange occurrences as well."

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

Not someone you ask for a favor then... This world sure is screwed up.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

He shooks his head "I prefer to stay as far away from him as possible. Especially with the company I'm keeping at the moment." His eyes flicker almost unwittingly to Rana, before going back to Antal "Before everything went to hell, you said you had talked with the sorceress, brough her to trust you, and that you'd tell about me later. Now is the perfect time. " He looks expectedly at Antal.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Antal pulls out the purple band, careful to only show it to those present, She said if I show this to others, they'll consider me an ally.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741

Rana looks at the band curiously, "I suppose that that proves there is an organized group, as if we didn't know it already. The cat, well the familiar, indicated that there wasn't much organized when I spoke to him, but he might have been lying, and I was hesitant to explain the entire reason I was asking."

She hesitates for a moment, then asks, "Can someone please explain the tadpoles to me? What's so bad about them?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, this simply means that there is a recognized group, but that doesn't mean it's organized. In fact, they're far more dangerous disorganized in some ways, they will be harder to defeat, if that's what we plan to do.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

"Keon talked about a council of seven, too. If that's true, it seems quite organized to me. As for the tadpoles..." he pauses, unsure of how to put in words what he wants to say. "I dont know how they're relevant. What I do know is that when I tried to sense magic on them, they registered as more full of magic than anything I've ever seen in my life. And I heard people screaming in my head, too. Not something I'd wish on anybody."

24. - Top - End - #744

"That does not sound good.....The girl mentioned that she had a message for someone, although I can't for the life of me remember who after all this mess, so perhaps she knows something we don't."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

"Which brings us full circle, back to the girl." Audric sighs. "On one hand, I'm worried about leaving that sorceress' house unattended. But I don't want to leave the girl alone here, either, risking to put people in danger. And splitting up again is out of the question". He passes an hand over his eyes. "I confess I'm a bit lost, at the moment" he admits, openly.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: thougts on what to do next?
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-10-25 at 02:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #746

Rana sighs and sits down on the bed next to the girl, examining her injuries again. "I'm afraid I don't really know either."

Heal (1d20+7)[15] What's my best guess on how long it will take for her to recover?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

She's starving. Literally, starving, as in dying from hunger. She will likely regain consciousness in a few hours, but that will not stop her from wasting away. And you gave her food, her body shouldn't be behaving like she's been going for nearly a week without anything except water, and not much of that.

28. - Top - End - #748

Rana looks up from the girl, startled. "She's starving to death! The food Rowan gave her isn't doing anything! She'll probably wake in a few hours, but if I can't figure out what's wrong with her...."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

She's part dead, right? Don't vampires need blood? Maybe there's something she needs?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

"Blood. By Aldaran." Audric says quietly, seemingly too shocked to manage more than a whisper. Then he forcibly snaps himself out of it.
    "If she does need blood, that's something we can arrange. I want to keep an eye on her, now more than ever" he says, bringing one hand up to touch his holy symbol. If she really is part vampire, it may be a mean of control. "But someone needs to pay a visit to the nearest butcher, buy some blood for her."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I don't know about this world, but where I live it's not so unusual to buy pig's blood at a butcher's. We make a dessert with it. Be squicked all you want, it's actually quite good.