Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

Audric

Spoiler
    Show
    "Don't worry buddy. We're comin' for ya!" Llaars calls. Someone, probably Llaars, is lowering the rope back down. The rope whips around like some sort of demented snake.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-02-20 at 09:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank Aldaran. Audric grabs the end of the rope to steady it, and to show he has seen it. "Llaars!" he shouts back "You can come down, it's safe down here...and I found tracks!"

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "How the hell am I supposed to do that? If I go down there that'll leave these two up here." He shrugs and looks to Rana.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    "Are we going down?"
    Rana frowns suddenly, "How are we going to get Shadow down?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "It should be safe to jump, even without a rope.". For just one second, Audric considers the possibility than the underground tunnel is just an elaborated trap. But why should someone go to such lenghts to hid it, with the slime and all? Nonetheless... "I need one of you to watch my back down here, while I check if this is a dead end."

((Ajadea: it is safe to jump, right? As far as he knows, of course.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-02-21 at 03:01 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric, Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

Does a thirty-foot drop count as a 'safe' jump to you?

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Wait. Forget I said anything." Audric shakes his head to clear it. It seems that the fall left him more dizzy than he'd like to admit. "Give me five minutes and let me see what's down here. If it seems worthy investigating we'll figure a way to get all of you down." And if something happens to me, hopefully you'll be smart enough to avoid heroics and get to safety he thinks, the irony of that statement entirely lost on him. He considers the tunnel for a second.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((Ajadea, what was the tunnel like, again? Opened on both ends?
    I'll throw a couple of spot/listen checks, and a detect magic as well (My reasoning: he is calmer now that he heard Llaars and Rana, and his head is clearer - he has the time to look more carefully and choose a direction) spot - (1d20+3)[15] listen - (1d20+3)[12]. And detect magic, for traces other than the indents in the walls.))
    EDIT: feel free to ignore the rolls if I can't make them, of course. Mostly I wanted to know if there was some way of distingushing one end from another or if I should just throw a coin
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-02-22 at 01:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, open on both ends.

Careful searching for traces reveals dim magic heading down to your left, faded to the point of near-transparency. You hear running water, but see nothing with your mundane vision.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    " Llaars! You heard me?" If he gets a sign of acknowledgement, he follows the magic trace for just a bit, just to be sure that bringing the others down here wouldn't result in them getting stuck. He moves cautiosly, one hand near his longsword, trying by force of habit and training to make as little noise as possible, before realizing it probably doesn't matter: between the clanking of his armor when he hit the ground and the yelling, he has probably already alerted any living being around.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Thirty feet away, down a two-foot drop and around a corner, there is another hole, a bit less than five feet wide, created through conjuration, transmutation, illusion, evocation, all of indeterminate strength. Layered magic auras flicker and fold over each other, writhing like a basket of snakes. Unlike the first, it is not covered, nor is it slimy. It seems to be nearly fifty feet deep, and very wet. There are hints of tunnels within the hole, seeming barely big enough for a halfling to fit through. There is a significant amount of dry blood splattered on the edge of the hole.

The trail ends here.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-02-22 at 09:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Audric stares, quite shocked. What in Aldaran's name... He keeps still for a second, listening for hints of movement or similar down the new hole, and peeking in the darkness. That's not something I can do alone he thinks I have to get back to the others

listen - (1d20+3)[23] edit: hey!
    spot - (1d20+3)[5]
    ((Does the tunnel end here or does it continue??))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-02-23 at 12:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

The tunnel seems to continue on. Down the hole, you can hear the faint sound of rushing water and labored breathing...

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, ****. He rushes back, to where the others are. "LLARS!" he calls out. "One of you has to get down here with a rope, now! There's someone who needs help!". His tone is urgent and worried.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-02-23 at 02:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1334

Llaars

Spoiler
    Show
    Not even waiting to hear the end of Audrics statement, Llaars leaps down the hole, much more swiftly than someone his size should be able to. "I'm comin'!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump:(1d20+9)[26]
    Tumble:(1d20+7)[12]

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Llaars jumps and disappears through the illusion.

Audric, Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

Llaars lands hard on the balls of his feet and falls forward, catching himself with his hands instead of rolling with the force of impact. While it certainly is not quite the amount of damage you'd expect from a thirty-foot fall, it was not nearly as gentle as it could have been, and his legs are likely rather sore.

Llaars takes (1d6)[6] lethal and (1d6)[3] nonlethal damage.

Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

You fall straight down, through hot air and stinking burnt slime, landing on a cramped layer far below where you were. Hot air billows out of the ceiling above you. The ceiling does not look tall enough for you to stand up straight, as it is a bit under 5 feet high.

You can see a half-melted dagger and a hole like a punch in the opposite wall.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

Llaars

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric jumps slightly backwards when Llaars lands. He had not expected him to jump, with a perfectly serviceable rope still hanging from the ceiling. Aldaran spare me from hot-headed allies he thinks, sighing. "Llaars! Please tell me you brought a rope." he asks, after having made sure he is not seriously injuried.

17. - Top - End - #1337

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana grimaces. "Can you get down there on your own, Shadow?" she asks helplessly, gesturing into the pit.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not really asking him to do anything, because I don't know what he's seeing. If he doesn't get it, I'll probably go with the speak with animals spell to work out something with him to keep him safe.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Confusion then doubt flickers through Shadow's expression. Then he wags his tail briefly. So, probably yes.

19. - Top - End - #1339

Llaars

Spoiler
    Show
    He wobbles for a bit, but quickly regains his composure and dusts himself off. "I heard you yell and I jumped, but I just dropped the rope"

OOC:I guess it would still be against the wall.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

Llaars

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: I meant another rope, keeping the one hanging down against the wall as a mean to go back up ))

"Yes, I saw y..." Audric stops. Does he really want to berate the man for rushing to his help? He smiles, sincerely. Although unconventional, his allies are good people. "Thank you."
    He points to the tunnel on his left "There is a hole, down that way" he says "No disguises this time, though there are a lot of magic auras. I heard someone breathing down there. They... they seemed in trouble, and there is blood. We need a rope, and I need to go down there and see if I can help.".
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-02-24 at 02:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana, Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

You know, the rope isn't attached to anything. Just something to keep in mind.

22. - Top - End - #1342

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana glances around the tunnel once more, hoping to spot something she can tie a rope to so that we have a way back up.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[17]
    You think that there looks like there could be something on the ceiling that you could tie the rope to. However, you're a few inches too short to reach the ceiling...
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-02-24 at 06:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1344

Spoiler
    Show
    "Just leave me up here without anyone tall, why don't they?" Rana mutters in frustration. "Well.... nothing left to do. Come on, boy, let's go!" She gestures Shadow towards the pit.

Once he jumps in, Rana takes a deep breath and steps out into what appears to be solid ground, bracing herself for a fall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal, if needed (1d20+14)[24]

Jump (1d20+10)[22] and Tumble (1d20+3)[13] for Shadow, if needed.

Jump (1d20)[18] and Tumble (1d20+2)[18] for Rana, if needed.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Stepping out into the slime or trying to jump over? Big difference. You still don't have Antal. Are you taking the rope?

26. - Top - End - #1346

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    ....Jumping, I suppose. She wants to go down, anyway. Yeah, I know we don't have Antal, but Rana has no idea where he is, and is figuring that it's better to keep the party in two parts, rather than three. Yes, I'm taking the rope, and anything of ours that's left up top, while I'm at it.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

This is going to be interesting...also, this is probably the bit where I point out that Tumble cannot be used untrained, and Rana has a -3 penalty on certain checks due to the weight of her things.

Audric, Rana, Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

Rana plummets from above, rope in hand, followed by Shadow. She lands hard on her feet, catching herself well, for someone who isn't actively training in such skills. It was still a hard landing, and it is likely she sustains some wounds from her fall. Shadow looks rather shocked, and is looking up at Rana with a rather baleful gleam in his eyes.

Rana takes Lethal - (1d6)[5]Nonlethal - (1d6)[6] damage
    Shadow takes Lethal - (1d6)[5]Nonlethal - (1d6)[2] damage
    Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

You fall straight down, through hot air and stinking burnt slime, landing on a cramped layer far below where you were. Hot air billows out of the ceiling above you. The ceiling is barely tall enough for you to stand up straight, and Audric and Llaars are both hunched over slightly.

You can see a half-melted dagger and a hole like a punch in the opposite wall, and you hear the faint sound of rushing water coming from somewhere to your right.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Audric, Llaars, Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oww..." Rana rubs one of her ankles for a moment, before checking Shadow for injuries. "Is anyone badly hurt?"

Drat, I always forget that penalty. Thanks for reminding me.
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-02-24 at 07:34 PM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana, Llaars, Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Audric's eyes widen when both the druid and the wolf come falling down from the hole in the ceiling. As I was saying...good people. But there goes our way back.. He sees no sense in arguing it now, though. "Some. It doesn't matter" he answers her question. Actually he seems rather more than a bit hurt, having burns on his face and the parts of his body not covered by the armor. "As I was saying Llaars, there is a hole, that way. It is deep, dirty with blood, and filled with magical auras, but there is someone down there breathing. They sounded hurt, or in pain. I need help getting down there to check"

30. - Top - End - #1350

Audric, Llaars (and Ajadea, obviously )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana looks at the hole Audric is indicating, as well as taking a more careful look around the area, looking for anything of interest.

Spot (1d20+8)[18], Listen (1d20+8)[26]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, what did you expect? She was left up there all alone, not able to see or hear anything, with her last information being Llaars apparently thinking it was safe to jump and that Audric needed help!
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-02-25 at 01:03 AM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.