Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume moving it would kill it? And is there any sign of anything else living (or anything non-living that might have injured the creature) in the cave?

Spot (1d20+8)[24], Listen (1d20+8)[9]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ettin in the Playground

So much conclusion jumping. It's kinda funny.

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Moving it probably isn't the best idea if you want to keep it alive.

No sign of any living being here. Just you and that thing.

3. - Top - End - #1413

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana call back up to Audric and Llaars "There's a very badly injured.....little....orc thing?....down here. I can heal it a little and try to bring it up without killing it, or you can come down, or I can just put it out of its misery. But we should decide fast."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal

Spoiler
    Show
    Orc thing?. Audric thinks quickly, disregarding the third option without even noticing. "We will reach you, if you think you can wait a few minutes" He doesn't mention he has ho idea of how to bring the wolf down, short of tying and lowering him, and to be honest, he is not sure the wolf would agree to be touched by him. "I'm worried about you healing an unknown creature without at least one of us with a sword as a backup. But if you think you can handle it, and bring it back up, I defer to your judgmment." Not seeing what she is seeing, he has to.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #1415

Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't like it either, but I'm more worried about you coming down and us not being able to get back up. It's some sort of natural cavern down here, so I think I'm pretty deep. I'm going to see if I can bring the....thing....up."

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana checks that she can draw her scimitar immediately if the thing proves hostile, then pulls out one of the scrolls Audric gave her and casts cure light wounds on the creature. (1d8+1)[4]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What should we do then? Go back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

The thing does not stir, but its chest seems to straighten out slightly, and you can almost hear the bones grating back into place.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

"Wha can we do? Hit da earth ta make it be kwite? Nah, we jus gotta get outta here. Gotta get everyun outta here, now, before de earth 'cides ta fall down an' smush us all unner da city, na?"

Shiri nods. "Ketokee is right. We don' have anywhere else t'go. If your friend is down this deep...what is your friend anyways, Antal? For someone 'bout the size you or me, there's plenty o' ways t'get out of here, but for a human, elf, or orc, the river's basically the only way in or out of down here."

8. - Top - End - #1418

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana carefully attempts to pick the thing up, stopping if it looks like she's going to hurt it.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

The thing curls slightly into your touch, and whimpers. But it does not awaken. In it's current position, it looks a little less like a mutant orc and more like a small child, albeit a rather sicky, skinny one. It doesn't weigh as much as it probably should. It feels like it weighs less than your armor, even.

10. - Top - End - #1420

Everyone but Antal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I have it. I think I can carry it up; it's really light. Ready to pull me up?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone but Antal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course. Just tell us when you are ready too." At her signal, he begins to pull her back up, trying to be very careful not to jostle her too much.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ettin in the Playground

Not the halfling
    Spoiler
    Show

It is not noticably harder to pull Rana up this time, though she carries another being.

Once she is safely up, you can easily take a look at the thing she carries. It resembles a warped child with sickly gray skin, clothed in thin, bloody, furs. It is tiny, no more than two feet tall. Its legs are bandy and bowed, and its arms are far too long for its body. Its pug nose is bent out of shape, as if it had been broken then healed, and there is a smear of blood at the corner of its mouth. Its ears resemble bat ears, and one ear is nicked. It has stringy black hair, and little bits of faintly glowing spinal cord seem to be tied to the ends of some of its hair, like beads on braids.

But really, from what little you know of orcs, Orc Thing is a fairly apt description.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone but Antal

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric stares at the strange being for a couple of seconds, stunned, trying to remember if he heard it described somewhere, possibly among the abominations that unchecked magic spawns.
    "What in Aldaran's name is this thing? An Orc child?" he asks, half to himself and half to Rana. "Did you...did you try to heal it already?"

((Detect magic and knowledge religion - (1d20+3)[11]. Also heal - (1d20+7)[25] to see what's wrong with it, how badly it is hurt and if it's going to wake up soon on its own.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-07 at 11:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, this is better than it was when I found it. Have either of you ever seen anything like it before?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Fading, greasy, blue, evocation seems to encrust the orc-kid-bat-eared-thing's broken nose, healed lower jaw, and upper torso. It feels like a punch in the gut, though you know it cannot hurt you at all, and the pain fades in an instant. Blue greasy magic? Make a wild guess as to who it could be. Below that, there is a thin rainbow sheen of sensation and raw anger, and you have the distinct sensation of something crumbling and collapsing around you.

Physically, it could be an orc child, if said orc child had been dumped in loads of strong magic. However, such magic would have showed up as transmutation, and it would have been far stronger than that pitifully thin rainbow you couldn't track if you wanted to.

It should wake up in a few hours, if tended to. Do you have that time?
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-08 at 12:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Spoiler
    Show
    Mouth slightly open and a grimace upon his face, Llaars could hardly imagine what could have put this poor fellow in such bad condition. "Man, I'm a city boy. Closest thing I've seen to this guy is a plague victim. You sure we want this thing wakin' up? Kinda reminds me of that thing from the alley."

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric shakes his head at Llaars'words "I have no idea of what it is. He has magic of his own, but not very strong, certainly not strong enough to justify a shape change, so that must be its natural form, whatever species this being is."

His voice hardens slightly "But I know for sure that it was Iil'ssaran that hurt him: her magic aura is all over his injuries. I think we should heal him, and question him, but we also have to be ready in case he proves hostile."

18. - Top - End - #1428

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana nods. "I agree, we should be cautious when he wakes up. Do we want to heal him here? Or bring him someplace safer?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Do we have a safer place? There is no easy way back up. Might as well heal him here, instead of walking around and possibly stumble into more danger. Can you do it, or should I?"

20. - Top - End - #1430

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana grimaces; having been so intent on bringing up the creature safely, she had almost forgotten their predicament. "Probably best if I do it; I'll still have your scrolls should we need them, and it's better to have both of us able to heal if we need to."

She carefully lays the creature on the ground, then puts a hand on his chest and closes her eyes, murmuring something in druidic.

Cure light wounds (1d8+3)[8]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

You can hear and see its bones fitting back together, its nose straightening, its chest twisting back into a normal position. The thing opens its eyes slowly and rubs them with one grimy wrist. They are orange, with no visible whites or pupils..."Eta? Syanno..." Its voice is very high, and kind of whiny. It yawns and stretches, then looks up at Rana. "Ai? Ai! Jenaa...ko votaké sei? Ko kalnanan sei? Pel yilminri nanan, pel helegas také!" It taps its chest with one bony finger and grins widely, showing sharp, yellowed, uneven, teeth. It is missing a tooth. "Ko kalnanan sei?"

22. - Top - End - #1432

Spoiler
    Show
    "Um...hello?" Rana looks up at the other two "Did either of you understand that?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to decipher through the babbling only deepened the furrow in his brow. "I sure as hell didn't. He seems awfully talkative for somebody who just had his chest caved in."

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric shakes his head "Neither did I". However he relaxes noticeably, taking his hand away from the pommel of his sword. Whatever it is, the creature doesn't seem hostile. And how weird has my life become if I'm wondering about the good intentions of a mutant orc?

((So, INT and WIS checks, right? int - (1d20+1)[18] wis - (1d20+3)[4]))

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Judging by the context, pel probably means 'my', and you think it mentioned its name somewhere in that babbling.

Beyond that, you really aren't sure what it's going on about. It might be asking about nanan and také, whatever that means.

26. - Top - End - #1436

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana quickly repeats her greeting in every language she knows, hoping that the creature will understand at least one of them.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Rana speaks in four or five different languages in rapid succession, somehow managing to sound like a breaking rock one moment and the wind through the trees the next.

The creature blinks, then starts snickering, which soon turns into full-blown laughter. "Se meerin! Se pe guldai!" it manages to squeak out between gasping breaths. After a few seconds, it calms down, and looks up at you with large orange eyes. "Kol kalnanan sei?"

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric raises an eyebrow at Rana, surprised. He recognized Elven, but that was the only one. I must remember to ask her what sort of languages those were..., then focuses again on the creature. "You don't understand us at all, do you?" he sighs, then points at himself "I am Audric." And I have no idea of what to do here. then to the druid "Rana" and to Llaars " Llaars.". If he wants to try to establish a modicum of communication, starting with names seems reasonable.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-10 at 01:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

The creature seems to recognize the gesture you make, at least. It nods, and pokes itself in the chest, then points at each of you in turn. "Yilminri. Autric. Ra. Llaars." It doesn't seem to have a very good grasp on the pronounciation of Common. Or Rana's name.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yilminri. I see." Well, that was a start, at least. Where to go from here, that was the complicated part. "Uhm... Hi, Yilminri. I don't... I don't suppose you would know anyone who speaks Common around here, would you?"he looks helplessly to the others. "I don't know what to do. Do either of you have an idea?"