New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Story of a Dragon

is this the part he eats his fathers flash, growing more stronger and turning to purple?
    Despite everything, its still me.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Nice comic
    "What Gate?"

http://metoast.myminicity.com Visit!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

ok, comic 5.....

Spoiler
    Show

is UP!

also, there is a reference to something in this comic, find it and you get a cookie.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I know it's a nitpick, thar a wizzard (well dragon here) did it anyway and all that.. but
    Since when gold burns ? (melt yes but you' still need a combustible of somme sort for the fire to take and keep going like it does in the comic, and don't really see what's could work as such in this cave)

Otherwise if I may authorize myself, a little critic here,( a more valid one) there was no need to be so verbose here. From what we already know of the characters and situation, we could already guess that Zarakkan would go for vengeance and humiliation, and the graphic already carry the nture of said evenge. having the character bable at the same time doesn't really give us the impression he means buisness and kind of distract the reader from the intensity of the scence.
    (or at least I assume the scene is supposed to have a ceratin intensity ot it. I mean he just aavenged his mother and gained his freedom att he same time)

My point is the whole sence could have been carried just as well, with only a few lines: "Death is too good for what you've done. You will live now froever with your tresure melted, blind and in shame. Goodbie" or even no lines at all.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-07-27 at 02:16 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I interpreted the scene as Zarakkan basically saying everything he ever wanted to say to his father Athim he was afraid to say for ten years.

and I was intending for his monologue to enhance the intensity of it, and to kinda show that Zarakkan has a cruel side- yes he could have just walked out of there without saying anything else but intentionally added insult to injury by gloating about what he did just to spite Athim further.

and I kind of like Zarakkan to be a little verbose, it just seemed natural for him to continue talking like that, his speech slowly winding down to that cold dismissal at the end, as if he had no more anger left to spend on Athim.

but hey, that is just my interpretation- one the foggiest areas of Zarakkan's early life is the part where he defeated Athim, as a 50 year old dragon isn't much of a match for a thousands of years old dragon. Basically? He should not have been able to defeat Athim so easily. Its perfectly possible that Zarakkan is not telling the story as it actually happened, just the story he wants you to hear, and might have have actually just snuck out of the cave at night, used some spell to collapse the cave on Athim thus killing him in his sleep.

or he might have actually done all that as the comic portrays- with less or without any talking, its your choice of how to interpret it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

does he eats his father now?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I'd have personally done this as a silent comic; just about the only thing you'd have needed to clarify was that the Father had not died from the attack, as opposed to blindness.

And I like the idea that this is simply meant to be a story told from the perspective of the same dragon from thousands of years in the future; do you plan to bring this up in the story, to make it official? Unless you've done so already.
    At dusk, I will think of you...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Allan A. Aokage View Post
    I'd have personally done this as a silent comic; just about the only thing you'd have needed to clarify was that the Father had not died from the attack, as opposed to blindness.

And I like the idea that this is simply meant to be a story told from the perspective of the same dragon from thousands of years in the future; do you plan to bring this up in the story, to make it official? Unless you've done so already.
    yah, Zarakkan IS telling his story from thousands of years in the future- and partly because of it his narrative is unreliable; even the powerful memory of dragon is not really perfect.

well if everyone thinks it could be done better silently, then how about a compromise? I'll make an alternate comic where Zarakkan only says "Enjoy your blindness." in the first panel. Then, because Zarakkan is telling this from thousands of years in the future, I can just say that both are canon.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    does he eats his father now?
    No! He ain't a cannibal you sick freak! stop with the purple, he is staying blue with red eyes. Forever.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

here is....

alternate comic 5:
    Spoiler
    Show

just to note, all alternate comics are as canonical as the original ones. However how canonical the original ones are is up for debate.

you can find alternate comics in the extras section.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: The Story of a Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    here is....

alternate comic 5:
    Spoiler
    Show

just to note, all alternate comics are as canonical as the original ones. However how canonical the original ones are is up for debate.

you can find alternate comics in the extras section.
    If he's blindly-blind then how does he know his hoard is getting burned?

To me that kinda made it necessary for our main dragon to exposit what he did as the target had no other way of knowing spadjit.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Rising heat (if it's hot enough to melt metal, even if admitedly gold is pretty easy one compartively, that's still hot enough you will feel it even form a distance) and the sound of the blowing fammes ?
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-07-27 at 04:00 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

I'd personally remove the text in Panel #1, but that's just nitpicking! I do prefer the alternate comic, but both are cool.
    At dusk, I will think of you...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

To me that kinda made it necessary for our main dragon to exposit what he did as the target had no other way of knowing spadjit.
    Because he said 'im going to burn it all to the ground'?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Because he said 'im going to burn it all to the ground'?
    hes talking about the alternate comic.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Rising heat (if it's hot enough to melt metal, even if admitedly gold is pretty easy one compartively, that's still hot enough you will feel it even form a distance) and the sound of the blowing fammes ?
    That would tell him that something or blajib were burning, but not that it was his treasure

Then again, he might notice the gold thing once he finds it and it's molten...

Waitaparsec! The gold is still valuable even if it's molten, it will cool off sooner or later an be gold none the less!

Granted, the historical and magical value will be lost but gold is still gold.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

That would tell him that something or blajib were burning, but not that it was his treasure

Then again, he might notice the gold thing once he finds it and it's molten...

Waitaparsec! The gold is still valuable even if it's molten, it will cool off sooner or later an be gold none the less!

Granted, the historical and magical value will be lost but gold is still gold.
    hes blind. in a cave. how is he going to spend it? Athim does not know magic and knows no doctors.

Sure, adventurers or dragonslayers might come by and kill Athim then lie about the fight being more exciting than it was, but how will they lift huge piles of melted gold? how would they transport it? even if it has gold value, it would still be too impractical to be transported.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

wait, is it possible for a blue dragon to burn gold? or big sword?
    hes a blue dragon! he spits lightning!
    choose:blue dragon or red dragon or both (blue back,red stomech)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

hes a blue dragon! he spits lightning!
    genetics do not work that way either.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

blue dragons breat lightning,
    red dragons breath fire
    he is a blue dragon
    therfor he breaths lightning
    thus he cant burn gold
    which even a red dragon cant

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

blue dragons breat lightning,
    red dragons breath fire
    he is a blue dragon
    therfor he breaths lightning
    thus he cant burn gold
    which even a red dragon cant
    ah, but metallic dragons can also breathe fire and lightning.

therefore elemental breath attacks aren't tied to the dragons color since metallics and chromatics breathe the same breath weapons, and according to my interpretation? that means that breath weapon =/= dragons color, that and if dragons can mate and produce half-dragons, which makes LESS sense than a blue dragon having a red dragon's firebreathing gene/allele/whatever, than something that makes more sense than half-dragons is possible as well.

that and its my world. it doesn't have to follow any of your rules, assuming that it does is just being stubborn

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

blue isnt mettalic and red too

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

hes blind. in a cave. how is he going to spend it? Athim does not know magic and knows no doctors.

Sure, adventurers or dragonslayers might come by and kill Athim then lie about the fight being more exciting than it was, but how will they lift huge piles of melted gold? how would they transport it? even if it has gold value, it would still be too impractical to be transported.
    If my old AD&D team found multiple ways of transporting the sinetastic-gold bars (which were larger than ogres) from a giant gold pyramid away in a bag of holly-holding that could only hold what could fit in it's opening then they can manage some smelty-melted gold in a cave, with a box of scraps
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

comic 6, UP!

Spoiler
    Show

I personally like the fact that in the SoDverse (Story of a Dragon universe) firebreathing dragons who swallow water are basically swallowing fire dragon cyanide, it goes well with the "breathing fire" thing, because if you breath fire, then water has got to kill you then doesn't it? so in a way Zarakkan is more vulnerable than us.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

comic 6, UP!

Spoiler
    Show

I personally like the fact that in the SoDverse (Story of a Dragon universe) firebreathing dragons who swallow water are basically swallowing fire dragon cyanide, it goes well with the "breathing fire" thing, because if you breath fire, then water has got to kill you then doesn't it? so in a way Zarakkan is more vulnerable than us.
    It's a new spin on an old story for sure.

But it only works if you make it so that his fire comes from his stomach and as such only swallowing water affects him in a negi-negative way (As a bonus it fits the anatomy of traditional eastern dragons too!) because life and air kinda contain lotsa lotsa water that would make him being able to breathy-breathe, eat or even exist all the while having water as his Krytonite kinda impy-implausible
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

The new colour for the text is good. Keep it that way
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

It's a new spin on an old story for sure.

But it only works if you make it so that his fire comes from his stomach and as such only swallowing water affects him in a negi-negative way (As a bonus it fits the anatomy of traditional eastern dragons too!) because life and air kinda contain lotsa lotsa water that would make him being able to breathy-breathe, eat or even exist all the while having water as his Krytonite kinda impy-implausible
    well I figure that the draconic equivalent of noses and lungs do not actually breathe in particles- the nose just takes in the surrounding heat and use it to fuel the fire while the mouth is constantly exhaling heat so that the dragon doesn't get too hot, the firebreathing is just very strong exhaling.

this, in reverse means that fire dragons can just inhale any fire you throw at them, add it to their current fire, and spew out even stronger flames.

How this is all accomplished, is either magic or alternate physics, but more ridiculous stuff has happened so whatever...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

I'll read this. It keeps my interest which is more than I can say for a lot of fan comics. I won't name them.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

well I figure that the draconic equivalent of noses and lungs do not actually breathe in particles- the nose just takes in the surrounding heat and use it to fuel the fire while the mouth is constantly exhaling heat so that the dragon doesn't get too hot, the firebreathing is just very strong exhaling.

this, in reverse means that fire dragons can just inhale any fire you throw at them, add it to their current fire, and spew out even stronger flames.

How this is all accomplished, is either magic or alternate physics, but more ridiculous stuff has happened so whatever...
    Oxygen. Life needs it.

And it still doesn't explain his skin touching the air (mostly water) or him consuming anything alive (also mostly water, about everything that's not a rock contain more water than anything else.)

It would also make him killable by bucket
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Oxygen. Life needs it.

And it still doesn't explain his skin touching the air (mostly water) or him consuming anything alive (also mostly water, about everything that's not a rock contain more water than anything else.)

It would also make him killable by bucket
    I said poisonous not acidic

that and screw the rules, this is fantasy.