New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: The Story of a Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I said poisonous not acidic

that and screw the rules, this is fantasy.
    good point. But it still leave out what he does when he want to eat.

That's a lazy excuse, Tolkien and Lewis created the whole genre but did they jut explain away stuff like that? No, they wrote entire languages and backstories spanning thousands of years just to explain anything!

... Sorry
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Story of a Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    good point. But it still leave out what he does when he want to eat.

That's a lazy excuse, Tolkien and Lewis created the whole genre but did they jut explain away stuff like that? No, they wrote entire languages and backstories spanning thousands of years just to explain anything!

... Sorry
    thats ok, I like quality, but Tolkien's quality is kind of something freakishly high to achieve. I mean I myself like history, and I like make histories in my worlds, but not so much detail man, I mean, a good epic creation myth, maybe something important to the story, but nothing to THEIR level.

and yes there WILL be a creation myth to the SoDverse, but that is next chapter..... heck Zarakkan's life could itself be considered a kind of history- he's ten thousand years old, hes literally a living history book and part of the reason why I'm telling the story in this form, is me going "What if a history book could talk? what if a history book could remember and talk about things from a thousand years ago as if they were there? how would they talk about something so long ago?"

that and I'm thinking "the thousands of years" thing about fantasy is getting (no pun intended) a little old, unless you can add the whole thing, the entire history up to something important NOW, its not worth it, you don't just do it because you can, you have to connect things, it would be a good change if there was a fantasy story that just had a history of a few hundred years; you could still have as much detail, but they would be more recent and I think that would change how the history is presented and how things work.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

thats ok, I like quality, but Tolkien's quality is kind of something freakishly high to achieve. I mean I myself like history, and I like make histories in my worlds, but not so much detail man, I mean, a good epic creation myth, maybe something important to the story, but nothing to THEIR level.

and yes there WILL be a creation myth to the SoDverse, but that is next chapter..... heck Zarakkan's life could itself be considered a kind of history- he's ten thousand years old, hes literally a living history book and part of the reason why I'm telling the story in this form, is me going "What if a history book could talk? what if a history book could remember and talk about things from a thousand years ago as if they were there? how would they talk about something so long ago?"

that and I'm thinking "the thousands of years" thing about fantasy is getting (no pun intended) a little old, unless you can add the whole thing, the entire history up to something important NOW, its not worth it, you don't just do it because you can, you have to connect things, it would be a good change if there was a fantasy story that just had a history of a few hundred years; you could still have as much detail, but they would be more recent and I think that would change how the history is presented and how things work.
    Fair enough, I just personally prefer to make up the way something works even if by magic. Otherwise it makes me feel like I'm cheating

The premise is good, I've thought that the whole time. But I've learnt that bad execution can ruin even the best stories, jut trying to avoid having that happen here

Thousands of years is not that much compared to our universe's billions of years. But if you want a Fantasy book that features a world only a few hundred years old then I cant help you. The closest I know of is Dragonlance which takes place in their equivalent of 700-800 AD.
    Just replace AD with After the Cataclysm that killed most of civilisation... Well at least they still have kenders
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I see, executing.....

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, I personally enjoy creating huge histories with lots of little unimportant details and geographies and cultures and the like. It's a lot of fun. I see a situation and I think, "Well, how did this situation happen? Well..."

It's why I enjoy real-life history too. Everything's interconnected.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I know, I just think it isn't wise to introduce more information than the story requires to be good, its called moderation, the lack of it is called infodump people don't like that, its boring

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I know, I just think it isn't wise to introduce more information than the story requires to be good, its called moderation, the lack of it is called infodump people don't like that, its boring
    I thought it was called Lord Of The Rings?

Seriously, he spend several chapters solely on describing Minas Tirith
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

I thought it was called Lord Of The Rings?

Seriously, he spend several chapters solely on describing Minas Tirith
    see? moderation. I personally would have just gone with a page or two,perhaps three.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

see? moderation. I personally would have just gone with a page or two,perhaps three.
    I would have drawn it

The only problem I had with it was the fact that neither of the characters present could have seen all that as they didn't stop or use much time getting there.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

comic #7 has joined the party!
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

...Mommy? Seems a bit... off for someone as verbose as him. Maybe "Rest in peace" alone would work better?

I know, I know, unreliable narrators. Just poking at an otherwise very well-done comic.
    At dusk, I will think of you...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Allan A. Aokage View Post
    ...Mommy? Seems a bit... off for someone as verbose as him. Maybe "Rest in peace" alone would work better?

I know, I know, unreliable narrators. Just poking at an otherwise very well-done comic.
    its to sort of point out that he is still a child dragon at this point- to us age 50 is half our life. To dragons, that is barely out of preschool.

In fact, that one panel is probably one of his most vivid and clear memories he has.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

its to sort of point out that he is still a child dragon at this point- to us age 50 is half our life. To dragons, that is barely out of preschool.
    Yeah, he might be a child, but would he really have such horribly stunted mental growth? Not that "Mommy" is indicative of stunted mental growth, but someone who's been alive for 50 years, regardless of chemistry, is going to be quite intelligent. Unless someone's been deliberately stunting it, of course.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Allan A. Aokage View Post
    Yeah, he might be a child, but would he really have such horribly stunted mental growth? Not that "Mommy" is indicative of stunted mental growth, but someone who's been alive for 50 years, regardless of chemistry, is going to be quite intelligent. Unless someone's been deliberately stunting it, of course.
    well think of it this way- the way he calls someone is relative to emotionally distant he is from them- for example Zarakkan called Athim "Father" in a formal and distasteful manner before he exiled him he wasn't very close, and when he did exile hi and call him "Athim" it was to show much he hated his father- to take away his Vir-Nav-Nil, that as far as Zarakkan is concerned, he never had a father.

Meaning calling Skyrania "Mommy" signifies he very emotionally close to her and cared for her and remember- he regarded her as angel and his father a demon.

that and maturity and immortality are funny things and they don't always mix well together, someone can be very intelligent but not mature, mature but not intelligent, to invoke what you consider the "dreaded" tv tropes, there is even a trope called immortality immaturity which points out the trend for immortal characters to not always be mature- who said they had to? they live forever, technically they can behave however they want because age-based behavior is mostly based on how long before you have to die of old age, and if your immortal and won't die of that, who said you had to act like people expect you to?

that and its a private moment- no one else was around, think he was gonna verbose when was alone when no one could hear him?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

dragins MUST drink water.

even fire breathing dragons.
    they produce fire magically or scientificly

even science way makes water healthy for them
    Despite everything, its still me.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

@above: What? I having trouble understanding your post. Biologically speaking, yes. All beings must consume fluid - what may be meant is that plain ol' water might be harmful; likewise, petrol might be better. Or some such; I'm no expert.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

explain fire elementals first.

living beings made out of fire this violates every single rule of biology. and physics.

explain how those can exist on world of oxygen and water and all that- THEN you can explain fire dragons.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

fire elementals:magic

fire dragons is easy:
    they have anouter stomech, which stores gasses in it,they have an organ which prouduces spark in their upper jaw

thunder breathing dragons:
    they have an organ which transfers electricity from the nerve system, and alot of it.
    Last edited by super dark33; 2010-08-03 at 05:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

see? at some point you have to say "magic"

you know what, I'll just let you all come up with your own explanations, I don't have to explain anything, the unreliable narrator just has to say it and then you can draw your own conclusion from the information given, I think its lazier and better that way; I can focus on the comic, you can focus on your explanations on why that happens in the comic.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2010-08-03 at 05:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

just make him say:'the water from my food made me not to dehaidrate and i relized i did needed to drink water' or somthing like that

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I apologize, but I am unable to discern the meaning of your poorly articulated words. Please correct them so that my visual ocular organs do not bleed profusely with crimson liquid.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2010-08-03 at 06:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

explain fire elementals first.

living beings made out of fire this violates every single rule of biology. and physics.

explain how those can exist on world of oxygen and water and all that- THEN you can explain fire dragons.
    They don't need to eat or breather, so much is canon in all sources.

How and why they exist tend to differ:

Some explanations claim they are fuelled by the eternal flames of the plane of fire and thus they acquire their Oxygen from the same source as those.

Other's claim that they simply consume anything flammable they find and burn that as fuel, this requires a tad more magic physics but can plausibly happen if they use more oxygen than fuel. A variant is when the spell behind the elemental recreates the burnt parts of this core and thus gives it eternal "life"

A third way might be nuclear reactions ala the sun, don't know if that could work.

As to water: The water in the air doesn't affect normal fire so our only problem is larger quantities like rain and large bodies of water. They might either destroy the elemental or just hinder it slightly, depending on the mechanics behind the source of fire.

Anything else?

I apologize, but I am unable to discern the meaning of your poorly articulated words. Please correct them so that my visual ocular organs do not bleed profusely with crimson liquid plasma.
    My words exactly, except for the part about liquid plasma.

Plasma and liquid are two of the four forms that matter exist in, nothing can be both.

That and plasma is stuff like fire and lightning so bleeding it might be painful
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Plasma and liquid are two of the four forms that matter exist in, nothing can be both.
    However, there is a substance in the blood known as plasma by biologists everywhere.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    However, there is a substance in the blood known as plasma by biologists everywhere.
    Oh, you mean Blood Plasma.

I've always wondered about that one.

Must investigate *pokes*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Ouch you are mixing two completly different things here. (or if you aren't, then you are making your point quite innefectively)

Plasma in physics is a physical states of electricaly charged element.

Blood Plasma is just blood filteredfrom ti's cellular component. In shoirt it's just water with proteins and somme electrolytes disolved in it.
    But it's definitively mostly water, hence a liquid.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-08-05 at 08:40 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I apologize, but I am unable to discern the meaning of your poorly articulated words. Please correct them so that my visual ocular organs do not bleed profusely with crimson liquid.
    I think he's trying to say that you can't have your fictional dragons unable to drink water because science makes it healthy for them. Even though it's your own fantasy setting and dragons are inherently magical beings (fire-breathing, in my opinion, cannot work, let alone evolve naturally).

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    I think he's trying to say that you can't have your fictional dragons unable to drink water because science makes it healthy for them. Even though it's your own fantasy setting and dragons are inherently magical beings (fire-breathing, in my opinion, cannot work, let alone evolve naturally).
    screw the rules, I'm me.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

screw the rules, I'm me.
    Hey, your fan-comic, you make the rules
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: The Story of a Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    Hey, your fan-comic, you make the rules
    then screw myself! I'm making my fan comic in any way I want whether I like it or not, and if myself doesn't like that, I can go screw myself because I'm screwing my rules and making my own and I can't stop it, whats I gonna do, kill me? I think not!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

then screw myself! I'm making my fan comic in any way I want whether I like it or not, and if myself doesn't like that, I can go screw myself because I'm screwing my rules and making my own and I can't stop it, whats I gonna do, kill me? I think not!

Ew.

I know some people can actually do themselves and enjoy it and I respect their rights and all but since it's not discrimination when coming from me I still stand by my earlier statement: Ew.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.