New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Storm Lord Base Class [3.5 PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Adrayll View Post
    Okay, lemme see if I'm understanding Scorn the Earth correctly:

My Storm Lord (Let's call him Stormy) is walking along a foot off the ground, with his party. Let's say he's walking in front of the group. Stormy starts to walk over a large pit trap, yet does not activate it, as he isn't on the ground. However, when his more earthenly-inclined party members follow, triggering the trap, Stormy does not fall, yet is now under an effect that mimics the Leviation spell due to being more than 1' off the ground.

Is that right?
    Correct. For reference, here is the original source of the Scorn Earth ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrayll View Post
    EDIT: Additionally, why is this the only one of your elemental wizards without Armored Mage?
    The void disciple also lacks Armored Mage. As far as the reason, I just felt that walking around with 10-30 pounds of extra cloth, leather, or steel didn't suit the airy feel of the stormlord. Plus, potentially wearing a shirt of metal while flying around in a thunderstorm doesn't seem like a smart career move. The storm lord is compensated with the Zephyr's Grace ability, which adds Charisma to saves.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    @ Noctis Vigil: It's more of an air walk effect than flight, but point well taken. A little more description couldn't hurt. One caveat about the wavekeeper: I'm revamping all of my elemental classes in light of some recent playtest results, and I haven't gotten to the wavekeeper yet. It's due for a major pruning just like this one received.

Greatbow added. I'm a little hesitant to grant the ability to shoot in high winds to a class that can create high winds. It feels a little like bringing your ball to the game and then announcing that no one else can play with it. What do you think?
    That was actually my reasoning behind giving him the power to shoot in high winds: he is pretty much exclusively ranged in combat, yet his own powers keep him from actually attacking. I would give him at least a bonus to hit in a wind. Wind causes different effects on ranged combat based on strength/speed, IIRC. Perhaps make him take a penalty one rank less than everyone else at level 10, then two ranks less at level 20? And where are those tables located? I couldn't find them in my books.

I'm still really looking forward to the wavekeeper. I love water-type magics.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, you make a good point. I'll add shoot-in-windiness. I've also fiddled when certain abilities are gained to put, wherever possible, access to new spell levels on even-numbered levels and access to new class features on odd-numbered levels.

I spent most of this morning fiddling with the wavekeeper... dunno if I'm final on that one, but I think I'm more satisfied with it now. Chiefly I'm trying to make these classes shorter and simpler without making them weaker.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2011-11-28 at 12:06 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

I found this class and I just thought you might like to know I'll be using it in my game. It fits perfectly with my campaign setting. I'm not sure if this counts as necro'ing a thread, though. >_>

(For flavor: the campaign is based entirely around sailing in ships as part-time pirates. There are three main ship's leaders in this culture - the Captain, the Shaman [who acquires food and deals with the islands], and the Navigator. What is a Navigator responsible for doing? Basically the stuff in this class, along with actually navigating.)
    Everything is a game. Some games matter more than most.
    ~Oleander

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Necroing is a thread which is older than... one and a half months, IIRC. But I'm sure he doesn't mind.
    (PMs are usually good, the creator of the thread is allowed to necro if you raise good points)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah, right then. I'll PM him next time. :)
    Everything is a game. Some games matter more than most.
    ~Oleander

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Storm Lord Base Class [PEACH]

By your dark arts I am raised to serve the living once more. What is your bidding, oh dread master?

Actually, after a loooong hiatus I plan to begin updating these again. Over the past two years I've accumulated a few minor changes to some of these classes and I'll be sprucing them up in mid- to late May, after the semester ends.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm very excited to see the changes, your elemental casters are some of my favorite homebrew classes. Hopefully you can fix the tables soon too.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Tables are updated!