New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dungeon Fighter Online... anyone else in?

When the Nostalgia Bug led me to look around for side-scrolling beat 'em ups, I wandered the dark trods of the internets and came upon Dungeon Fighter Online.

Now, in this game... I have no idea what's going on ever. Okay, like, 75% of the time, I don't know what I'm doing. And it doesn't help that the game's community seems to be made of entirely spambots or people who don't quite speak English.

So I bring you this thread, which will hopefully

1. Get people interested in this game. I had my doubts in the beginning, too, and I was expecting something that was either crap or good-but-for-a-price. Really, I've found it to be a quality game and you only really pay for cosmetic stuff with minor bonuses and gameplay crutches, should you need them. At the same time, the gameplay is pretty much what you would expect, a side-scrolling beat 'em up in the vein of Streets of Rage or Final Fight, but characters end up having more "moves" and combos. All in all, it's basically what I expected, a modernized and sophisticated take on the old genre.

Oh, also, if you're not South Korean or Japanese, you're apparently a couple of patches behind.

2. Get some people to play with me! I don't know if we want to have a collection of everybody's names in this forum and in the game, but for now, PM me your characters' names if you're interested in playing together. I currently have an Asura around level 20 and a Fighter around level 13. I'm also up for starting new characters to party with people who are just starting to play.

3. Get some advice from the grizzled veterans. I'm currently trying to figure out the following,

A. What's the difference between the Slayer weapon types? As an Asura, which one should I be looking to specialize in? Or does it really not matter as long as I find weapons that match my mastery?

B. What's the best way to get higher Style and Technique scores? I'm told combos raise your style score and back attacks/counters/overkills raise your technique score, but I don't quite get how it's calculated or how to reliably raise those scores.

C. Is it possible to re-spec after already re-spec'ing for choosing your level 18 subclass?

D. When I'm playing with others in groups or PvP, what are the faux pas I might do? What's the equivalent of ninja-looting in WoW and such? How do most people behave when PUG'ing in this game? Do a lot of people PUG?
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon Fighter Online... anyone else in?

Last I checked, it was impossible to connect to the servers from Europe (some licensing crap). Which was a shame, because MMO+sidescrolling beat 'em up sounds trés cool.

Any idea if this has changed?
    Truth resists simplicity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon Fighter Online... anyone else in?

I guess not. :(

Dug around around a little, and it still appears that, no, there are no European servers and Nexon Europe doesn't offer it.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.