New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

I always assumed the plan was to form a band and quickly become vastly wealthy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I would just like to say it looks like there is no fragmentation on that hard drive. Which doesn't make a lot of sense as there should be a couple files here and there.
    I didn't analyze the drive first, so it is not displaying the numbers. Its fragmented like crazy though, as I have not reformatted in a couple of years.

On another note, I just FINALLY bought Half Life 2: Episode 2. It was $5. I have a really hard time passing up games that are $5 or less. (as evidenced by my purchase of Star Wars Empire at War yesterday)

Years ago I bought HL2 and Episode 1 and Garrys Mod on sale on Steam. That was my first introduction to Steam. Later on I bought Team Fortress 2 and Portal (each on sale at separate times), but I never had bought the Orange box, and so never had Episode 2. My brother had bought the Orange box, so I never worried about my ability to play Episode 2 when I got to it. However, many many maps and stuff in Garrys Mod requires Episode 2 these days, and not having it I had been left out. Finally I now have it and can play all the cool maps :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    Saving the little sisters results in the same little sisters coming to you with gifts from Tenenbaum. This assumes that she is taking care of them. They were always orphans, only now they have someone who isn't just some husk taking care of them.

And really, are you some kind of communist? A happy life devoid of free-will vs. a bit harder life but with the ability to chose to not suck adam from plastic nipples.
    Well, yeah, but providing that last life requires murder. I'm all for freeing people, but I'm not going to gun down innocents in the process.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Well, yeah, but providing that last life requires murder. I'm all for freeing people, but I'm not going to gun down innocents in the process.
    The big daddys are brainwashed genetically altered humans that have only one thought. "Protect the little sister you guard with your life." I'm fairly certain that if the Big Daddys had complex thought processes of their own, I'm sure that they would be willing to sacrifice themselves to bring these small children happiness.

As it is, they aren't very human. They have no thoughts for themselves, and they lumber around under the rules of a mad man. I understand the moral questioning, but in this situation they most likely shouldn't be treated as human.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Subject Delta seems to defy the idea that Big Daddies are entirely devoid of free will and intelligence.

Also, Flechair, I just noticed you're not using my avatar anymore. Why? Do you think its smelly and not like it?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

6. - Top - End - #516
    Banned

WHY? Why do the little sisters deserve to have good skin and non-glowy eyes at the expense of the lives of their caretakers? What does SAVING the little sisters even mean, anyway?

Think about it: a little girl has some kind of lifelong disease that, while she's able to operate and go about her business, makes life somewhat difficult for her. To cure this, you can beat her father/big brother to death--at which point she's suddenly an orphan in the middle of a really, really dangerous place. Does that seem right to you?
    You're not just cleaning up their pores and unglowing their eyes you know. You're potentially giving them new lives.

Also, their caretakers are just as spliced as splicers. Only, they've been conditioned into psychotic protection of the girl instead of psychotic protection of an area from intruders like the splicers are. If you don't consider splicers to be human why would you consider Big Daddies?

Course of action: save children from nightmarish existence.
    Problem: cannot do so while they are under guard of dehumanized killing machines.

What's your solution to it then? How can you save the children while leaving the beyond help murderous drill-wielders alone? I very much doubt your Your laissez-faire attitude will save Rapture from its twisted fate you know.

Don't you think if those people who had been made into those monsters, should they've been given the chance at a normal life, were to see themselves as they are now that they wouldn't want you to put an end to it?

What about zombies? Do you think we should cut them some slack too?

Bioshock: essays on the philosophy of a man's humanity.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2010-07-03 at 03:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    What about zombies? Do you think we should cut them some slack too?
    Yes, we should. Rather than killing them we should keep them tethered in a shed playing video games.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Yes, we should. Rather than killing them we should keep them tethered in a shed playing video games.

Or running a daycare service.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-07-03 at 03:01 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Banned

Even Shaun agreed with me though. His step-pa weren't no father o' his once he became a zombie.

10. - Top - End - #520

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    That is the cutest thing ever.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

There's no real direct evidence that killing the Big Daddies is right, so I guess, if I'm playing a good character, my best bet is not to kill them at all.
    Killing the Big Daddies lets you save the Little Sisters. That is some pretty real direct evidence that it's a good thing. Only an evil man or a royal *** would leave a bunch of little girls in a city filled with psychotic killers willing and able to do anything and everything it takes to get ADAM.

Does that seem right to you?
    Lemme ask you this: Can you kill a Big Daddy? Answer obviously being: Yes.

Who says the splicers can't? And are any of the psychotics, who attack you on sight for your meager amount of ADAM, going to save the little girl instead of eating her? Answer obviously being: No.

Imagine it as taking a little girl out of a fenced in backyard surrounded by tigers. Yes, she is technically fine. That is, until the tigers scale the fence and consume her. Then she's dead and you let it happen. You monster.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Bugbear in the Playground

Versus Survival. Tonight. Who wants in?

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

13. - Top - End - #523
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    Versus Survival. Tonight. Who wants in?
    Time? Dr. Freeman?

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Time? Dr. Freeman?
    As usual. 2300 hours, GMT. Nothing like L4D2 at night ya?

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

Subject Delta seems to defy the idea that Big Daddies are entirely devoid of free will and intelligence.

Also, Flechair, I just noticed you're not using my avatar anymore. Why? Do you think its smelly and not like it?
    He was a prototype, did you notice there is no other big daddys like him?

and Noooo!! I just.. wanted to try to make my own with inkscape. <3
    Last edited by Flechair; 2010-07-03 at 03:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

*Humble bumble grumble*

One of many reasons I won't buy BioShock 2 ever.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

17. - Top - End - #527
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flechair View Post
    He was a prototype, did you notice there is no other big daddys like him?

and Noooo!! I just.. wanted to try to make my own with inkscape. <3
    A prototype isn't usually that different from the finished product, and extremely rarely would it be worse, it is bizarre. Easy to explain, though it isn't as far as I remember, just say that to take away the free will of the big daddy (since delta isn't predisposed to protecting lil' sisters) they had to make him stupider in all ways, however this doesn't explain plasmid use.
    Steam name: Smiling Jack, aint that convenient?
    Numerical Steam ID:STEAM_0:1:15133339

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Jibar - buy bioshock 2 and play it. The character isnt even really a big daddy and the game play is far better (with only minor reductions in plot). Honestly, I despise people who learn one fact about a game and refuse to give it a go...

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    The character isnt even really a big daddy
    Why is there no one eyebrow cocked before face falls off smiley...
    That just makes it worse!

Besides, as I said, it's one of many reasons why I won't.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

20. - Top - End - #530

Guys. I think I found my heroes. Now that is the sort of Sniper I wanna be when I grow up!

As they say on the interwebz: "BEWM HEADSHOT!"

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm having trouble getting ME to launch. I get the "Preparing to launch Mass Effect..." screen and then it goes away and Steam says I'm in-game for about 10 seconds, and then I'm not in-game anymore.

EDIT: Nevermind, I made a stupid.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2010-07-03 at 04:45 PM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

To be honest, my problems with the whole Bioshock Big Daddy thing isn't even so much that killing them seems wrong. Obviously, if you assume that the Big Daddies are a.) wholly inhuman and that b.) saving the Little Sisters makes their lives totally better and awesome forever, killing them is fine, but the game did not do a good job of convincing me of that. The game shoves this "moral choice" onto you, but then doesn't adequately explore just what condition the Little Sisters are in, what they're used for, who the Big Daddies are--I've been called on to kill like a half-dozen BDs so far, and at no point has anybody given me a straight answer as to what they are.

I guess I'm annoyed at the developers for trying to have some great moral choice without actually giving me the facts. If the Big Daddies are sapient, intelligent beings, and all they want to do is keep the Little Sisters safe from harm, then I can't rationalize killing them any more than I could rationalize killing the Little Sisters, and at no point has the game explained to me whether or not this is the case. They're just like, "LOL SAVE TEH LITTLE GIRLS."
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-03 at 04:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

To be honest, my problems with the whole Bioshock Big Daddy thing isn't even so much that killing them seems wrong. Obviously, if you assume that the Big Daddies are a.) wholly inhuman and that b.) saving the Little Sisters makes their lives totally better and awesome forever, killing them is fine, but the game did not do a good job of convincing me of that. The game shoves this "moral choice" onto you, but then doesn't adequately explore just what condition the Little Sisters are in, what they're used for, who the Big Daddies are--I've been called on to kill like a half-dozen BDs so far, and at no point has anybody given me a straight answer as to what they are.

I guess I'm annoyed at the developers for trying to have some great moral choice without actually giving me the facts.
    Umm....
    Actually they do.
    It's just, you know...
    Implied via the audio logs, hints by their design and interaction and what not.
    And, spoilers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The... what is it, second to last area of the game, is where they make the Big Daddies and Little Sisters.
    So you do get to see, perfectly, the whole process that leads to their creation.
    A bit late, true, but it's all there.
    Nothing but a Nobody

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    If you think that's a spoiler, then I have another one for you: At the end of King King the monkey DIES.
    i.. i thought he climbed back down..
    When Bioshock is a hundred MILLION years old this argument will work.

As it stands, maybe you could get away with saying something like this about the *spoiler*would you kindly*spoiler* thing, but the rest of the story is not fair game and I was looking forward to enjoying it when I could actually afford it. I'd like as much of it to surprise me as possible.

You inhuman monster.
    Last edited by KBF; 2010-07-03 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    [COLOR="White"]..., but the rest of the story is not fair game and I was looking forward to enjoying it when I could actually afford it. I'd like as much of it to surprise me as possible.
    You'd have an argument if, and only if, the ability to control Big Daddies involved the story in any way. Hint: It doesn't.

It's sort of like saying Kratos eventually gains the ability to cast spells, but you'll probably never use them. It's simply an exposition of the gameplay rather than anything involving the story.

Now, if I told you why you gain Control Big Daddy then that'd be a spoiler.

They're just like, "LOL SAVE TEH LITTLE GIRLS."
    To be fair: They're surrounded by the criminally insane and have fallible defense systems. There is little to no reason not to want to save them.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2010-07-03 at 07:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Banned

I guess I'm annoyed at the developers for trying to have some great moral choice without actually giving me the facts. If the Big Daddies are sapient, intelligent beings, and all they want to do is keep the Little Sisters safe from harm, then I can't rationalize killing them any more than I could rationalize killing the Little Sisters, and at no point has the game explained to me whether or not this is the case. They're just like, "LOL SAVE TEH LITTLE GIRLS."
    Big monsters with large drills. Which part of this is supposed to be friendly in an RPG?

It was quite clear you got to choose between the good thing, the bad thing and the 'don't give a crap' thing. You didn't have a lot of choices, but it was a pretty easy system to understand.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    Guys. I think I found my heroes. Now that is the sort of Sniper I wanna be when I grow up!

As they say on the interwebz: "BEWM HEADSHOT!"
    He's good, definitely, but a lot of his headshots are way off and he only gets them because of lag, It was about every 10 clips that hed get passed 4 kills. Otherwise it was full of either lucky 'barrelstuffs' on scouts (and a few of them were dominating him, so shows that he goes for those shots everytime and fails most of the time) or 2-3 normal headshots. Really, only the scout headshots and extremely long chains of headshots were very impressive.

Trust me Byrn, you're probably just as good as him. You just need to record yourself constantly like him. You'd easily come up with a nice montage.
    Last edited by Flechair; 2010-07-03 at 08:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Umm....
    Actually they do.
    It's just, you know...
    Implied via the audio logs, hints by their design and interaction and what not.
    And, spoilers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The... what is it, second to last area of the game, is where they make the Big Daddies and Little Sisters.
    So you do get to see, perfectly, the whole process that leads to their creation.
    A bit late, true, but it's all there.
    Yeah, but that's at the end of the game. I haven't seen any evidence of that yet, and I've been fairly scrupulous with the audio logs.

@Zero: they don't attack you, though, unless you try doing something untoward to their wards. In an RPG, that's practically professing undying adoration.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

@Zero: they don't attack you, though, unless you try doing something untoward to their wards. In an RPG, that's practically professing undying adoration.
    None of which has anything to do with what I'm saying.

I'm saying the Big Daddies can be killed. That means the girls are, in no way, safe even if they're very loved by their loyal dogs. It's just a matter of time until they get drained anyway. So either you do it first, or you save them. Leaving them is either wasting a resource or willingly allowing one of these children to be killed.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    None of which has anything to do with what I'm saying.
    I think he's talking to Player_Zero.