New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

So I recently got the Half-Life 2 Saga for Steam so I could have it for my PC finally.

It's now trying to update them and the download speed suddenly dropped from an average of 400 kb/s to a speed so slow, that it was measured in BYTES.

Yes, I was getting an average of 900 BYTES per second. For no apparent reason. It was going to take about a day and 4 hours to finish the update.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Man, I'd totally buy Bioshock 2, if it didn't have DRM 3 times over.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by watsyurname529 View Post
    Yes, I was getting an average of 900 BYTES per second. For no apparent reason. It was going to take about a day and 4 hours to finish the update.
    Try switching download servers. It's under Steam->Settings->Downloads and Cloud. Servers get pretty busy when there is a sale.

I think I missed it if it was on sale, but does the Steam version of Assassin's Creed 2 come with the infamous DRM? (Won't buy it yet anyway, I want my dŁ/dt to be less negative...)

4. - Top - End - #604

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    Try switching download servers. It's under Steam->Settings->Downloads and Cloud. Servers get pretty busy when there is a sale.

I think I missed it if it was on sale, but does the Steam version of Assassin's Creed 2 come with the infamous DRM? (Won't buy it yet anyway, I want my dŁ/dt to be less negative...)
    Well... I didn't think that was the problem until I just checked and was downloading from Toronto, Canada... (no offense to any Canadians).

I switched and we'll see if it get's any better.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Well... I didn't think that was the problem until I just checked and was downloading from Toronto, Canada... (no offense to any Canadians).

I switched and we'll see if it get's any better.
    I had to switch to the Ukraine.

Worked well enough.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    Ha! Id never take stasis.And as if id waste valuable skill points in barrier - a skill that cannot be used to kill things.
    Normally you'd be absolutely right.

Thing is: 10th level in Bastion lets you shoot guys in Stasis and hurt them.

Yes, that's right.

You get a power that lets you kill people and they can't fight back.

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post

Yes it does. Of course, I bought it and I've had no issues yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

8. - Top - End - #608
    Barbarian in the Playground

in Both ME and ME2, I played an engineer. Which made fighting Organic enemies DF style Fun.

Although making their weapons asplode in their face was always fun.

And in ME2, throwing a nice Incinerate at Harbinger was always a nice come back to his annoying "The pain of this form is irrelevant!" lines. Oh really? I know YOU feel this, Harbinger, because you're on FIRE now, you body swapping annoyance!
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

I'm looking forward to the engie update. I want to jump in the server with Darth Mario and combat engie the hell out of the other team.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Dwarf in the Playground

Either Valve is playing a good practical joke on us, or golden wrenches are being handed out right now. Time to play until I get one
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

11. - Top - End - #611

2 Things.

1. I just found the Physician's Procedural Mask!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by surikesu View Post
    Either Valve is playing a good practical joke on us, or golden wrenches are being handed out right now. Time to play until I get one

2. Someone on the server found Golden Wrench No. 1. All that happened was The Administrator came over the speaker and said 'success' and a special banner was displayed. Anyone get a shot of it?
    Last edited by mightymonarch; 2010-07-04 at 08:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonarch View Post
    2. Someone on the server found Golden Wrench No. 1. All that happened was The Administrator came over the speaker and said 'success' and a special banner was displayed. Anyone get a shot of it?
    Someone on the steam forums caught a picture of it. Apparently every server got that notification.
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

13. - Top - End - #613

Someone on the steam forums caught a picture of it. Apparently every server got that notification.
    Even more interesting.

14. - Top - End - #614

Well my hard drive has started making clicking sounds every so often while it's running, which can't be good at all. After a quick Google search, it seems my hard drive is headed towards failure at some point.

What's worse, besides that this is my Steam Hard Drive that's failing, Steam Updates seem to accelerate the death of my hard drive as it clicks even more when I'm downloading and update and has started to freeze my computer.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well my hard drive has started making clicking sounds every so often while it's running, which can't be good at all. After a quick Google search, it seems my hard drive is headed towards failure at some point.

What's worse, besides that this is my Steam Hard Drive that's failing, Steam Updates seem to accelerate the death of my hard drive as it clicks even more when I'm downloading and update and has started to freeze my computer.
    Time to do a full block-by-block backup before it's too late. Save what you can, halt any incoming data.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Wrenches

Goddamn Where Do We Get Them Graagh

17. - Top - End - #617

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpionica View Post
    Time to do a full block-by-block backup before it's too late. Save what you can, halt any incoming data.
    I've already backed up my entire Steamapps folder along with game save folders, and all the important data onto an external hard drive. Plus it's pretty much entirely gaming so there's next to nothing on it that is indispensable.

Now I need to figure out how to use my new college student status to get my a new copy of Windows 7 and a new hard drive so I can move everything over.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

They totally are.

I know something you don't know!

Unfortunately, it is of little help to me.

19. - Top - End - #619

Now I need to figure out how to use my new college student status to get my a new copy of Windows 7 and a new hard drive so I can move everything over.
    Have you heard of the MSDN Academic Alliance? Basically, MSFT lets many university students get free copies of their software. I snagged Win7 last year myself. Search to see if your school / department is on the list.

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    Have you heard of the MSDN Academic Alliance? Basically, MSFT lets many university students get free copies of their software. I snagged Win7 last year myself. Search to see if your school / department is on the list.
    Well that's awesome, thank you for the links. However now I'm running into another problem. Every reduced price copy for students says Upgrade on it. Yet I need to install it on a new HDD because my current one's days are numbered. So I'm not sure if it would work.

Plus, to complicate things, I inherited this PC from my uncle and its version of XP is of questionable legitimacy.
    Last edited by watsyurname529; 2010-07-04 at 11:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    They totally are.

I know something you don't know!

Unfortunately, it is of little help to me.
    You and your stupid connection to Makani.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that's awesome, thank you for the links. However now I'm running into another problem. Every reduced price copy for students says Upgrade on it. Yet I need to install it on a new HDD because my current one's days are numbered. So I'm not sure if it would work.

Plus, to complicate things, I inherited this PC from my uncle and its version of XP is of questionable legitimacy.
    IIRC, "upgrade" is a rather nebulous term when dealing with Windows 7.

"Upgrade" to Windows 7 means to install on top of a previous installation of Windows Vista. You can't upgrade install from XP at all, and instead must perform a format and reinstallation from scratch.

23. - Top - End - #623

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    You and your stupid connection to Makani.
    She says hi.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Frackin' thresher maws, how do they work.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Frackin' thresher maws, how do they work.
    Science and outer space.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Wooo killed it. Note to self: Cannons make explosions.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

She says hi.
    Tell her I've been a fan since the Acciobrain days.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

Wait. This friend's sister who did the comic... that's the same person who did the Announcer picture and got hired?

Man, that's so cool.

29. - Top - End - #629

Imp

Yeah, they brought her up all because a piece of fanart she had done a year ago, and now they're talking about bringing her on full time. It's CRAZY. For now, she's back home, so I got to spend a good part of the afternoon talking to her. Her, North, and I went to lunch, then waited around for the Golden Wrench to start dropping (none of us got one - yet.)

Things I learned:

The announcer-like woman shown in "Loose Canon" is named Emily. She is related to Zephaniah Mann's maidservant, Elizabeth. The inclusion of Emily's name in Zephaniah's will in the comic was a mistake added in sometime after the comic was drawn. The will should have still said "Elizabeth".

The only actual historical figure to appear in the 1890's BLU team portrait is Abraham Lincoln. The Engineer, Sniper, Scout, and Heavy are modeled after Tesla, Crockett, Billy the Kid and John Henry Irons, but are not necessarily supposed to be them. Spy was styled as a Fu Manchu type of character. Demoman is simply a crazy prospector, and was not concsiously drawn to resemble the original Demoman concept art. Soldier and Medic were simply drawn in the style of Civil War-era soldiers and medics, and were not meant to be specific people.

Valve apparently has a very "Throw It In" style when it comes to comics. For example, the Mayor of Australia was chosen when Makani drew a top hat on one of the Australians, and the writers decided he should be mayor, and told her to draw a sash for him.

Makani and Northforce both got to see all the new Engie weapons, but won't tell me what they are.

Finally, keep an eye on the TF2 blog.

30. - Top - End - #630

Makani and Northforce both got to see all the new Engie weapons, but won't tell me what they are.
    Meanys. Don't they know that friendship goes deepers than NDAs?

More seriously, good for him/her. Hope it works out.
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!