New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Or you could just use that very popular mod that lets you switch on stuff like infinite ammo, all weapons, extra grappling hooks, rope strength...
    Ya know, the simpler option.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    http://codefromthe70s.org/poke.aspx

Basically, you pick something, like, say, the number of bullets left in your grenade launcher (10) then it finds all the places where the number 10 appears in the game. Then you fire and say your gun has (9) in it now, and it checks all the spots that used to be 10 to see if they're 9 now.

Eventually, you find exactly where the game keeps track of bullets. Then you write in "99999999" and suddenly, ingame, your ammo count is 999999999!
    Oh, one of those programs. Yeah, I've used one of those before. Fun program, very handy.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Elsewise, pick between either the revved speed boost or the revving speed boost. Adding both has made the heavy a bit too powerful. They were meant to be at a disadvantage if they were caught unrevved, but at the minute only a sharpshooting pipe demoman can take them out before they're doing their thing and adding face to boolet.
    Definately think the spin up time needs to be brought back to normal.

I swear, when Valve gets round to fixing the Heavy I'm changing my name to "It's nothing personal, it's just balance".
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-06-29 at 12:01 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    I swear, when Valve gets round to fixing the Heavy I'm changing my name to "It's nothing personal, it's just balance".
    I don't think that will ever happen. I still see heavies torn apart all the time by competent players, or surprised and killed by average or worse players. I think Valve might be happy with things as they stand.

That said, if one goes, I hope it's the movement speed. Ninja heavy goes extinct with the old rev time back, and Heavy goes back to being "mobile turret man" rather than something I can play tactically.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-06-29 at 12:01 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    I don't think that will ever happen. I still see heavies torn apart all the time by competent players, or surprised and killed by average or worse players. I think Valve might be happy with things as they stand.
    Alot of players however aren't. Valve listen to their testers and playerbase more than they do themselves.

That said, if one goes, I hope it's the movement speed. Ninja heavy goes extinct with the old rev time back, and Heavy goes back to being "mobile turret man" rather than something I can play tactically.
    What does one mean by "Ninja Heavy"?

If it's the lack of freedom of movement in combat, I recommend a compromise:

-Make it so the slow down is brought upon revving the gun up instead of when it's spinning.

-Make it so the Heavy's weapon can be change whenever instead of only when the gun is unspun.

-Give the Heavy his old spin up time.

-Give the Heavy a longer spin down time (given the above changes a long spin down time is a good thing now)

This way, when you need to move mid combat you get a short spin time as the gun was already spinning when you fire it again, but you have a vulnability when ambushed outside combat like you are supposed to.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-06-29 at 12:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

So X-COM complete pack on extra sale today.

Worth it?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Definately
    Is spelt 'definitely'.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Honestly, all the Heavy needs to be brought into line is for the Pyro to do massively more damage with the flamethrower. Then the heavy is weak at range, slow to move and strong at close range but still able to be countered at close quarters.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

If, for some strange reason, there is someone reading this thread that has not acquired the World's Number One Hat Acquisition Simulator (aka Team Fortress 2), today is a good day. It is currently just under 7 dollars. (The Orange Box is also discounted to 20 bucks, which isn't bad if you don't have that either, for some inane reason.)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    Honestly, all the Heavy needs to be brought into line is for the Pyro to do massively more damage with the flamethrower. Then the heavy is weak at range, slow to move and strong at close range but still able to be countered at close quarters.
    Errr...

So how's being a pyro main working out for you?

To quote an old one: Scissors here, nerf rock, paper is fine.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2010-06-29 at 01:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

Ninja Heavy: The art of playing the Heavy like the Pyro or Spy. Appearing when you are unexpected, revving up, and mowing down an unsuspecting team. With a long rev time back, this tactic becomes invalid...my opponent has ample time to hear me revving and run or return fire, killing me before I start firing. This happened to me a lot pre-buff: if I wasn't already spun up when the engagement began, I would die. So, with a greater Rev time, the Heavy returns to the role of "guy in the front line moving slowly forward." The excitement and tactical element of the role is gone.

And Zero? You're definitely right about the rock/scissors/paper thing. I'm a Heavy player, and I don't want to see a nerf.

That said...I also don't really want to see anything nerfed (except possibly the Dead Ringer, but spies in general need a buff). I'd rather have the other classes brought up (Pyro and Spy, I'm looking at you) to where the Heavy is now: competent, but not overpowered if you know how to counter it. Great Heavies top the scoreboard. Bad Heavies hit the bottom portions. Which is as it should be, isn't it? The same is true for most classes, although I rarely see Pyros top the scoreboard (which means the pyro needs a buff).
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-06-29 at 01:26 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

That said...I also don't really want to see anything nerfed (except possibly the Dead Ringer, but spies in general need a buff). I'd rather have the other classes brought up (Pyro and Spy, I'm looking at you) to where the Heavy is now: competent, but not overpowered if you know how to counter it. Great Heavies top the scoreboard. Bad Heavies hit the bottom portions. Which is as it should be, isn't it? The same is true for most classes, although I rarely see Pyros top the scoreboard (which means the pyro needs a buff).
    That's a bit of a misnomer. Scores don't directly correspond to actual team benefit or individual power.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2010-06-29 at 01:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pyro needs buff because his close-combat and ambusher role has gone out the window because every class (mostly) does best at close range and he hasn't got a good way of ambushing.

He needs a buff because most classes do decent damage at long range and good damage at close. Pyro does good damage at close and no damage at long or medium.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On behalf of YoSaffBridge, a collected gent who also hails from the UK, I would like to apologize for the time (times?) he told your lovely children that they were possessed by El Diablo. He has his own issues to work out, and occasionally suffers from the honest delusion that small children are demons. Plus, he’s a bastard. I guess that’s not really an excuse, but I did say these would be sincere.

Steam Name: [ChHa]YoSaffBridge

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Make pyro and spy the same class.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Wait. I go away from the net for one day, and I miss Rut's first hilarious run in with X-Com?

Really?

Aw, man.

Also, X-Com sale this today. I can confirm Apoc is worth the 3.75, so worth grabbing the bundle if you don't/only have UFO defense.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-06-29 at 03:01 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

if I wasn't already spun up when the engagement began, I would die. So, with a greater Rev time, the Heavy returns to the role of "guy in the front line moving slowly forward." The excitement and tactical element of the role is gone.
    So spin up before you turn that corner or make that drop in, so that when you come face to face with the enemy your gun is spinning, that was how the Heavy was played, it's how I used to play the Heavy, and demands more tactics than being able to fire your gun willy nilly. Tactics is the result of working around limitations.

Is spelt 'definitely'.
    And now you bothered to correct it, it's a mispelling I will definately continue to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Cthulhu View Post
    Pyro needs buff because his close-combat and ambusher role has gone out the window because every class (mostly) does best at close range and he hasn't got a good way of ambushing.

He needs a buff because most classes do decent damage at long range and good damage at close. Pyro does good damage at close and no damage at long or medium.
    Pyro has however the means to leaverage a strong advantage at close range. Which is much better than a stright damage buff, which would just make the game unfun.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-06-29 at 02:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

And now you bothered to correct it, it's a mispelling I will definately continue to make.
    I'm more patient than thou.

Definitely.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Wait. I go away from the net for one day, and I miss Rut's first hilarious run in with X-Com?

Really?

Aw, man.

Also, X-Com sale this weekend. I can confirm Apoc is worth the 3.75, so worth grabbing the bundle if you don't/only have UFO defense.
    Dammit, I bought UFO defense for 3.75 the other day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

I am thinking of livestreaming my first go at X-COM, once the current Iron Avatarist finishes. I suspect (know) it won't be as good as Chiasaur's amazing LP, but hopefully there is some amusement to be derived from the horrible, repeated gruesome deaths of my troops. Would anyone be interested?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

I'm more patient than thou.

Definitely.
    Player_Zero, you are definately right on this subject. He definately needs to spell it right.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Errr...

So how's being a pyro main working out for you?

To quote an old one: Scissors here, nerf rock, paper is fine.
    Are you saying that my main is a pryo or isn't? My main is medic (14 hours), followed by engineer (10 hours). Pyro is my 4th with a mere five hours played. Yeah, I really have no vested interest in the pyro being buffed. It's just so easy to see that it fails in its primary role.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Flechair View Post
    Player_Zero, you are definately right on this subject. He definately needs to spell it right.
    I would applaud you for this...

...if it didn't annoy the heck out of me as well.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would applaud you for this...

...if it didn't annoy the heck out of me as well.
    It'll die out, like Minigun guys...
    Steam name: Smiling Jack, aint that convenient?
    Numerical Steam ID:STEAM_0:1:15133339

24. - Top - End - #204

Kobold

Pyro has however the means to leaverage a strong advantage at close range. Which is much better than a stright damage buff, which would just make the game unfun.
    What, the airblast? That can be disorienting, yes, but it's also very tricky to master. Relying on the airblast to balance the pyro means that the class only becomes balanced after a lot of practice.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. My. God...

the complete X-com set for <£2.50

though i do wonder why Steam need my phone number for an order...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Oh. My. God...

the complete X-com set for <£2.50

though i do wonder why Steam need my phone number for an order...
    Standard procedure, probably. In case there's a billing SNAFU or something, I expect; legal requirements and all that.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-06-29 at 04:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Mother of Crap...
    That's incredible.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

"Kainozzo, even when you're playing a Heavy, you're actually playing a Spy." - Dogmantra

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

This stuff came out at E3, along with orange and blue goop. I for one plan on pre ordering this and then staring at the countdown timer.
    Ponytar by Dirtytabs