Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Persepolis

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SilveryCord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005

    Default Persepolis

    The Complete Persepolis is an autobiographical graphic novel from Marjane Satrapi. It's been adapted into a film, and was pretty seminal in making the idea of graphic novels that were really strong nonfiction literature more mainstream. (Just look around your bookstore: Sure, Marvel, DC, and TokyoPop still take up 90% of the shelfspace in the graphic novel section, but Persepolis definitely led the way for books like Footnotes in Gaza.)

    I read the book when it came out, and watched the movie when it was on DVD, and just now I've been assigned to read the book for summer reading, funny enough. What are your thoughts on Persepolis?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Seth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Quote Originally Posted by SilveryCord View Post
    The Complete Persepolis is an autobiographical graphic novel from Marjane Satrapi. It's been adapted into a film, and was pretty seminal in making the idea of graphic novels that were really strong nonfiction literature more mainstream.
    I thought it was Maus that did that last bit?
    Check out my YouTube channel! I do Let's Plays!
    Currently Let's Playing: NetHack

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Knaight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Maus was part of it, Persepolis was another. Both were major.
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    industrious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Windy City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Amazing graphic novel AND animated film. I loved it.

    However...I'm concerned about the no politics rules on the forum. Persepolis is...hard to talk about without certain issues coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Homebrew:
    The Maze of Madness

    Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III OOC

    avatar by Scarfgirl

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned
     
    JonestheSpy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Persepolis

    I think it's safe to talk about Persepolis as an extraordinary work of art - that's beyond dispute no matter what one's politics. I've only read the first volume of the graphic novel and only seen clips of the film, I'm looking forward to seeing everything.

    Satrapi is like Art Spiegelman in that she uses very simple - though not simplistic - black and white drawings to very great effect.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Quote Originally Posted by JonestheSpy View Post
    I think it's safe to talk about Persepolis as an extraordinary work of art - that's beyond dispute no matter what one's politics. I've only read the first volume of the graphic novel and only seen clips of the film, I'm looking forward to seeing everything.

    Satrapi is like Art Spiegelman in that she uses very simple - though not simplistic - black and white drawings to very great effect.
    I've (personally speaking) found the second volume, less amazing than the first one.
    Nonetheless, they're both great. Persepolis it's a masterpiece, probably not at the level of Maus, but very close in depicting a great historical picture. It's art.

    Now, given that we can't talk 'bout the novel's argument, we could talk 'bout the style.
    Persepolis is on the same line with Maus: they both use a biographical point of view, to narrate historical facts... they render history a personal fact, and they give us a subjective reading: the facts are presented with the feelings of the observer, there's no thing such an "objective" PoV.

    I'm pretty sure there are, but I don't remember examples of "historical" comics that use a different stylistic approach... any idea?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kaiyanwang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I've (personally speaking) found the second volume, less amazing than the first one.
    Nonetheless, they're both great. Persepolis it's a masterpiece, probably not at the level of Maus, but very close in depicting a great historical picture. It's art.

    Now, given that we can't talk 'bout the novel's argument, we could talk 'bout the style.
    Persepolis is on the same line with Maus: they both use a biographical point of view, to narrate historical facts... they render history a personal fact, and they give us a subjective reading: the facts are presented with the feelings of the observer, there's no thing such an "objective" PoV.
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said (included the comparison with Maus).
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said (included the comparison with Maus).
    Tnks. I'm seriously considering to put your appreciation in my sig.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kaiyanwang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Tnks. I'm seriously considering to put your appreciation in my sig.
    Kaiyanwang agreeing with someone.. definitively sig-worthy!
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SilveryCord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005

    Default Re: Persepolis

    Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Amazing graphic novel AND animated film. I loved it.

    However...I'm concerned about the no politics rules on the forum. Persepolis is...hard to talk about without certain issues coming up.
    I don't think it's an intrinsically political work; the situations Marjane faces apply to a lot of different things.

    I won't lie, many parts of the book made me cry. Especially Marjane saying goodbye for the very last time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •