New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default At-Will Freedom of Movement [3.5]

What's the earliest level you would grant freedom of movement as a constant effect or at will?

Sorry for such a short question, but hey. That's all I've got, for now.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: At-Will Freedom of Movement [3.5]

Well, MIC lists it as a 17th-level Item. And it's among the relatively few expensive items that people (optimizers) actually buy, so yeah.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

+1 Freedom armor costs you 36000g and change. Thats 4,000g cheaper than the ring. I believe there is also a gem or something in Draconomicon that is even cheaper, and can be embedded in your personage to keep it relatively safe.

EDIT: Heart of Water is a 3rd level wizard/druid spell that gives you on demand FoM for a couple rounds after you activate it. It last hours/level, or until triggered. Complete Mage as a source. A Lesser MM Rod of Extend would double the duration for pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-06-29 at 07:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, you can dip a level of (Cloistered) Cleric for the Travel Domain, which gets a bunch of rounds of Freedom of Movement divied up however you want them a day. Often you don't need a long duration of Freedom of Movement more than you need one here to get away, then another some rounds later, then another some rounds later. If you need them all in sequence you're probably boned anyways.

If that's not what you meant by "at-will" or "grant", though, stuff's already been mentioned.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

While rather late, Vow of Poverty grants permanent nonmagical freedom of movement
    <casts Energy Conversion>

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Keep in mind that the Trave Domain effect only works on magical effects that hamper movement.
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    While rather late, Vow of Poverty grants permanent nonmagical freedom of movement
    <casts Energy Conversion>
    I think all VoP benefits are actually considered magical. However, a L17 Scout does indeed get nonmagical constant FoM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I think all VoP benefits are actually considered magical. However, a L17 Scout does indeed get nonmagical constant FoM.
    Actually, Snake is right - a number of VoP benefits are (Ex), including their Freedom of Movement.

It sadly does not come online until 14 - even Bards get it earlier.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Actually, Snake is right - a number of VoP benefits are (Ex), including their Freedom of Movement.
    Nope; despite the Ex labels, you still lose them inside AMFs because Exalted feats are inherently Su.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I believe there is also a gem or something in Draconomicon that is even cheaper, and can be embedded in your personage to keep it relatively safe.
    You're misremembering a bit. That's the Gemstone of Fortification, which has nothing to do with Freedom of Movement. A very neat item to have, since it provides Fortification without armor.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Nope; despite the Ex labels, you still lose them inside AMFs because Exalted feats are inherently Su.
    Urgh. I forgot that clause.

*Bludgeons James Wyatt*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's an item in Magic of Faerun that either/or makes you have a constant Freedom of Movement effect or maybe it makes you immune to mind controlling spells or abilities...I can't remember which or if it's both that my epic Frenzy had.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Vec View Post
    Keep in mind that the Travel Domain effect only works on magical effects that hamper movement.
    Why thank you I have a cleric in my campaign I'm running who has the travel domain. I'll have to tell him tomorrow to make sure he knows and offer him the chance to swap domains if he didn't.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Complete mage also has a fairly long duration buff which can be expended for a freedom of movement effect. Not too bad. I think permanent FoM may be a bit too extreme, unless you expect to be grappled/held all the time.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Complete mage also has a fairly long duration buff which can be expended for a freedom of movement effect
    You mean this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    EDIT: Heart of Water is a 3rd level wizard/druid spell that gives you on demand FoM for a couple rounds after you activate it. It last hours/level, or until triggered. Complete Mage as a source. A Lesser MM Rod of Extend would double the duration for pretty cheap.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Divine Metamagic cleric has it as early as level 7. More likely to get it at level 9.

I'd say 9ish, or when WBL will allow them to afford an item that grants it.