New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP/ChHa Server Thread IV: For Science. You Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    In case you didn't catch it, today's update fixes a bunch of things that went wrong in the Engineer Update. Including the Mini-Sentries of DOOM, infinite Wrangler rocket spam, and super-easy Death Metal.

On the other hand (the Gunslinger?), Rio Grind is now correct.
    Not to mention now you can not pick up sapped buildings.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

ChHa is now updated. Also with new maps!

• The engineer update maps are now live.
    • Frontier (pl) and Corporation (cp) are now available for nominating and in the basic rotation.
    • Whalerace has been moved off the nominate list. If you want to play it admins can select it through their mapchange list, but not otherwise.
    • Likewise, a cube soccer map (cube_alpine) has been added to the admin list but not elsewhere. If you want a cube soccer gimmick round, badger your nearest administrator.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    • Whalerace has been moved off the nominate list. If you want to play it admins can select it through their mapchange list, but not otherwise.
    Do I count as an admin? Because I promise I will always make this map so.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

My friend says Scoot is obsoletized by the Gunslinger.

True/False
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and I've attempted to use mp_classlimit to limit engineers to no more than 3 per team. I have no idea if this works or not yet.

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

6. - Top - End - #456

On the late late show on SHaFT, we learned that the train on Well is very very angry(at one point it had a double kill). Also, I found a medic hat, the mirror. Oh, and we played TF2 I suppose.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Oh, and we played TF2 I suppose.
    Eh, Hat Hattress Hat is a much better game anyway.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    On the late late show on SHaFT, we learned that the train on Well is very very angry(at one point it had a double kill). Also, I found a medic hat, the mirror. Oh, and we played TF2 I suppose.
    That double kill wouldn't happen to be on Water Foul and I would it?

9. - Top - End - #459

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    My friend says Scoot is obsoletized by the Gunslinger.

True/False
    False, it just means that the Engies are more reliant on their buildings.

Them Mini-Sentires are pretty weak. I found that peppering them with a bit of ya pistol does wonders. You can also circle-strafe them, surprisingly enough.

Besides, it also means that they have no Level 3's with which to insta-kill you with once you enter their range.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Them Mini-Sentires are pretty weak. I found that peppering them with a bit of ya pistol does wonders. You can also circle-strafe them, surprisingly enough.
    Thing is: The moment you start shooting at the mini-sentry and ignore the more dangerous threats(read: Pick any class) then there's a chance you get killed. If you ignore the mini-sentry to shoot other more dangerous threats, then it just stacks damage on you and you still risk getting killed.

I like it for harassment, and I think it provides some nice support for other players.

Does it replace the Scout? No. But a mini-neer and a Scout can kill a lot more people together than they could alone.

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Thing is: The moment you start shooting at the mini-sentry and ignore the more dangerous threats(read: Pick any class) then there's a chance you get killed. If you ignore the mini-sentry to shoot other more dangerous threats, then it just stacks damage on you and you still risk getting killed.

I like it for harassment, and I think it provides some nice support for other players.

Does it replace the Scout? No. But a mini-neer and a Scout can kill a lot more people together than they could alone.
    What is this... teamwork, you speak so highly of?

But seriously, yes, the thing is, you can catch a Gunslinger Engie off guard and fill him with bullets, but he's likely to be packing some firepower and friends. So less fun for Scouts nowadays. Maybe Engie will become more used in competitive?

Diverging slightly, I discovered on the SHaFT last night that Snoipahs deal with the new Engie menace surprisingly well. Gunslinger sentries go down in one charged shot. Engies still go down in one charged shot/headshot. Wrangler Engineers are distracted easily and hauling Engineers are easy pickings.

"Snoiping's a good job mate. Challenging Easy work, out of doors, I guarantee ya won't go hungry, cuz at the end of the day, long as there's two people Engies on the planet, someone's gonna want someone dead."

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

I found much the same playing a direct hit soldier yesterday as well. Mini-sentries go down to a single rocket, and while you can't one-shot engies with it (unless they're jumping) you can still do enough damage to send them scurrying off to the nearest dispenser.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Pixie in the Playground

A suggestion on the reserved slots/player kicking idea - make the reserved places be for mods & admins (of course), and for players who've donated to the server.

Setting it as players who've donated neatly avoids any issues of who does & doesn't qualify as a regular.

It also removes the potential serious-rage inducing problem of players who've actually paid money for the server being kicked.

And perhaps even helps raise money to keep the server running.

(I suppose I should go donate something now, huh?)

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    A suggestion on the reserved slots/player kicking idea - make the reserved places be for mods & admins (of course), and for players who've donated to the server.

Setting it as players who've donated neatly avoids any issues of who does & doesn't qualify as a regular.

It also removes the potential serious-rage inducing problem of players who've actually paid money for the server being kicked.

And perhaps even helps raise money to keep the server running.

(I suppose I should go donate something now, huh?)
    DANGIT DAMNIT NABBIT.

Lack of credits prohibits my donation to the server fund. The very reason I enjoy this game is because of nice servers like ChHa and the SHaFT.

I still have bad memories of insta-respawn 24/7 2fort. Gawd. Oh man.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nightclaw View Post
    got on once but darth banned me AGAIN -.-"
    As he should have. You are banned from ChHa, ergo you will not be allowed to play on ChHa even if you manage to circumvent our ban list. This is final.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

16. - Top - End - #466

• Frontier (pl) and Corporation (cp) are now available for nominating and in the basic rotation.
    • Likewise, a cube soccer map (cube_alpine) has been added to the admin list but not elsewhere. If you want a cube soccer gimmick round, badger your nearest administrator.
    So do you use these map selecting options? Or know that you have access to them? I have some mod powers but this would be handy.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Pixie in the Playground

but but... i brought thouse maps to chhas attention... and i never even got to play them with my buds...

I miss life when i was happy with you guys... *cry*

Well im off to Word of Life island summer camp.. enjoy another week free of me....

You might hate me, but i love and miss you all =[

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nightclaw View Post
    but but... i brought thouse maps to chhas attention...
    Actually we had Corporation before but it received little play, and Frontier has been suggested for Map Testing many times.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

19. - Top - End - #469

Woah woah woah. Nightclaw/Hyper Hopper is banned off ChHa right?

Does this have any correlation/similarity with the SHaFT's ban list? Because if not, he may come there to attempt to have fun but ruin ours.

Edit: Thought I'd spread the word that xp194 is doing a Lets Play of X-Com: Terror From the Deep later, look in the other thread for more details.
    Last edited by Byrnbot08; 2010-07-10 at 11:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

So, I popped onto the CHHA server this morning.

This was the first sentence I heard.

"Well, it isn't so much that you're terrible, it's just that we're good. Oh wait, jeez, I'm topping frags as Heavy. Pub servers are so bad."
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

21. - Top - End - #471

Woah woah woah. Nightclaw/Hyper Hopper is banned off ChHa right?

Does this have any correlation/similarity with the SHaFT's ban list? Because if not, he may come there to attempt to have fun but ruin ours.
    SHaFT and ChHa officially have separate ban lists. However, Drolkcal has also banned Nightclaw from SHaFT, though it's been having some issues with server resets that have caused the ban list to be reset. If you see Nightclaw on SHaFT, contact Drolkcal or Dr. Girlfriend immediately (or maybe Djinn? I'm not sure if he's been given admin privileges yet). If you see Nightclaw on ChHa, contact any of our extensive list of administrators, but preferably Djinn or myself if available, as we were the ones in charge of his probation.

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    So, I popped onto the CHHA server this morning.

This was the first sentence I heard.

"Well, it isn't so much that you're terrible, it's just that we're good. Oh wait, jeez, I'm topping frags as Heavy. Pub servers are so bad."
    I'm pretty sure I joined that game too because I get on and I'm constantly hearing people saying thinly veiled insults to their team and one guy flat out insulting his team.

I was going to say something but he stopped after the teams were scrambled. Then it turned into all of the annoying players give their opinions on how each class sucks and so on. So I just left.

EDIT:
    By the way, if you see a player who goes by the name of "Sliver", he's one I see on from time to time who has a really bad attitude and likes to insult pretty much everyone unless he's winning. He skating on thin ice when ever I'm on for a kick so just watch him because he probably deserves a ban at some point.
    Last edited by watsyurname529; 2010-07-10 at 11:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Dwarf in the Playground

I posted this on the steam forums, but I figure you guys deserve these tips too, SO...

Flight of the Engineer: Rocketjumping locales for the sight-seeing scientist!

Just a few basic facts:

-Jumps take around 80 HP
    -Requires the Wrangler, and a non-gunslinger melee.
    -Right click, and jump on the rocket, a la soldier; it'll go higher than you expect!
    -Be wary of fall damage; if you don't fall FURTHER than expected (ie downhill) you still only have around 20 HP afterwards.
    -Set a tele. It's stealthier than a dispenser, and you can run tl spawn with your sentry and tele it up instantly.
    -You CAN jump with bullets, but it's extremely difficult. Despite logic, you can't simply jump above the sentry and shoot. You usually need to be in front of it, and to crouch jump, while aiming the sentry about 35 degrees off your highest point. This is useful for, say, getting onto the bridge at 2fort. Not much else though. It takes MUCH less health though!
    ---
    Locations

Point A/Gravelpit: You CAN jump on the roof. No one will expect it, and once your sentry is wrangled, you have an incredible range while hiding. It's up to you to decide which side to set up on; if you're red (looking at blue spawn), take the left, if you're blue (looking at C, or even taking red), set tele on right, and set rest on left, to stop 'em from C.

Point B/Gravelpit: You can get on top, but again, decide if you really need it. Wrangler doesn't have AS useful of a range up there, and people are used to handling sentries here.

Top of the large bowl/Hydro: No one plays this map, but I swear, it exists! You can build on top of the bowl-point, and have a great view of wherever the attackers come from. Wrangle like hell; your range isn't fabulous, but your view IS. Enjoy, Rocket scientists

Right before point 2/Badwater Basin: This is slightly more unknown. I don't mean the roof on the (track's left), I mean the one on the right. Know that tiny up there that a soldier or demo could reach? You can too. I dunno if you can build there, but if you can, you've got a huge sightline and good cover. I'mma try it, and come back, since it MIGHT be a heck of a coup to find it...

Edit: It works. You CAN hit the track AND the rooftop. YES. Stealthiest tele ever?

24. - Top - End - #474

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom123 View Post
    Flight of the Engineer: Rocketjumping locales for the sight-seeing scientist!
    You sir, are about to unleash the most dangerous thing in the TF2 world upon public servers; ACTUAL COMPETENCE.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I've been having a problem with this player...

# 79 "PTV|leogeo2" STEAM_0:0:25978 2:34:56 67 0 active

Among offences, I've heard "you're mom's a whore" and other comments. Also, while playing on Furnace, he played heavy and laughed and made fun of other players while playing Heavy (and wrecking) on Defence. Just something you should know.

EDIT: "I don't know whether the admins on ChHa are cool or are just a bunch of *******."
    Last edited by SciurusDoomus; 2010-07-10 at 12:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476

Quote Originally Posted by SciurusDoomus View Post
    I've been having a problem with this player...

# 79 "PTV|leogeo2" STEAM_0:0:25978 2:34:56 67 0 active

Among offences, I've heard "you're mom's a whore" and other comments. Also, while playing on Furnace, he played heavy and laughed and made fun of other players while playing Heavy (and wrecking) on Defence. Just something you should know.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Sciurus. We'll keep an eye out for him. Meanwhile, if you ever see him on again, PM an admin about the situation.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by watsyurname529 View Post
    By the way, if you see a player who goes by the name of "Sliver", he's one I see on from time to time who has a really bad attitude and likes to insult pretty much everyone unless he's winning. He skating on thin ice when ever I'm on for a kick so just watch him because he probably deserves a ban at some point.
    I remember this one. Nothing good, either. A few kicks for ignoring gimicks, warnings about being a jackass, etc. Wasn't he banned at some point, actually?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    BE RIGHT BACK BUILDING IMPOSTER A SHRINE.
    Names I own:
    Spoiler
    Show

Darth Mario
    Phase
    Kainozzo(Pending litigation)

28. - Top - End - #478

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Imposter View Post
    I remember this one. Nothing good, either. A few kicks for ignoring gimicks, warnings about being a jackass, etc. Wasn't he banned at some point, actually?
    I wish we had a more...concrete "Don't be a jackass" rule. There are a lot of people including Sliver and PVTleogeo who skirt around this rule and we truthfully can't do anything about it.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

I thorght dont be a jackass was the summary of all of our rules at once.

30. - Top - End - #480

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    I thorght dont be a jackass was the summary of all of our rules at once.
    True, but we should add something about "mocking other players about their skill" I see a lot of that lately, ever since the update.

Also? I heard the Demoknight being called what sounded like "nigknight."
    Maybe racism, maybe inside joke since he and "Doc Grosnik" seem to know one another.