New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dressing up as Vaarsuvius - questions

Okay, so I'm going to dress up as V in an upcomin con here in Finland. I have few things I would like people's opinions about, if it's not too much of a bother. If it helps, I'm doing the current version, with long hair. And Blackwing, but he's finished already.

1.Shoes. What kind of shoes should I wear? The actual comic doesn't include any shoes for V, but I doubt V goes barefooted. I did ask this earlier, and some people suggested sandals. Would those look okay? It is summer, so don't want fry in my footwear.

2.Markings on the cape. How does the part around the collar go? It doesn't go downwards, because no vertical markings can be seen. Does it just make a circle or something? Is there a picture where I could see V from the back?

3. Belt. Is it rope belt of some sort or just fabric? Cannot be leather, because it is tied.

4. Any good tutorials, that are also relatively easy and cheap? I'm not the most handy of people, so preferable nothing too complex.
    Avatar made by Mr Saturn. Thank you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dressing up as Vaarsuvius - questions

The first question you should ask yourself is... do you look androgynous enough for this role? If yes, then go ahead.

That being said, isn't the cape held by a ...what's the word... a clip of sorts?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

1. No idea. Not too important though, since as far as we can see, Vaarsuvius is wearing non-boots. That's all we can guess.

2. I remember seeing Vaarsuvius from the rear in one official drawing, but V's hair was long enough in the back to obscure the neckline. I'd just make a simple circular neckline and trim that with runes all around the circle, and far enough down the front slit so that the runes trail off over your shoulders and don't show much on the sides of the cloak's back. I would also attach velcro dots to runes' ends and shoulders so that the cape stays draped in front and doesn't fall to the back, strangling you. No collar, no hood.

3. Self-fabric belts don't look nice. Get a length of nice trim, maybe out of the home decoration department since the rope trims there are thicker.

4. A cape can be made out of a full circle. It doesn't get simpler than that. Add in the straight-sided androgynous robe and also-straight sleeves. . .very straightforward.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the information I have gotten already. But I realized I made one mistake in my opening post. Question number four was supposed to say ears in the front. I need tutorials for ears. I can probably do the clothing without one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

You will come to Ropecon? Whoo! I can't wait to see your costume

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ears are probably easiest just to buy, there might be a nearby store. If you are very artistic, ignore this.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    You will come to Ropecon? Whoo! I can't wait to see your costume
    Yup. I was going to make the costume for Tracon, but I didn't have time. Now I already have the fabrics, I'm planning everything else.

About the ears. I did consider buying them, but I'm still looking for tutorials in the case I don't find anything. Finland isn't a big country, so stores selling anything not that normal are difficult to find. Or the stuff in them isn't of that high quality.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

if you know anyone with some artistic prowess you could just get some mask putty and ask them to model it into elf/spock ears for you. Making out the shape isnt too hard if you know how you would draw them at least, so It doesnt even have to be a sculptor or anything.
    Although they should know how much weight the stuff can take so they dont make ears that break or simply fall off

Alternatively you could ask a plastic surgeon to alter your ears, but I presume that's both too expensive and too permanent a method.

EDIT: Also i dont think i speak only for myself when I say you should post pictures of the result.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2010-07-09 at 04:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Leathert View Post
    Thanks for the information I have gotten already. But I realized I made one mistake in my opening post. Question number four was supposed to say ears in the front. I need tutorials for ears. I can probably do the clothing without one.
    You could try checking out some LoTR fansites. I remember having see quite a few costume tutorials for cosplaying elves.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    EDIT: Also i dont think i speak only for myself when I say you should post pictures of the result.
    +1
    I'd love to see some pictures when you're done.
    Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

LotR-fansites, seems useful.

I will post pictures if I get my digicam before the con. Or if I find someone who is filling to take picture and post it to me later on. The con is two weeks from now, so expect something after that. Probably in the picture topic on the the Friendly Banter board, as this topic will have dropped quite low by then. (Unless I keep asking questions all the time.)