New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Do the Game Rules Replace Physics, or Are They Just a Way to Adjudicate Actions

How do you play it when the RAW is clearly at odds with reality?

Not just the silly "heal by drowning, dead doesn't mean you can't act, the Sun is too far away to spot" stuff, but things like falling.

How do you address a player who has his character leap off a ten story building because he knows it's only going to be 35-40 damage, and he has 90 HP? Beating a guy for 500 HP of subdual so you know he'll be unconscious for days and you can escape?

Do you allow this kind of obvious metagame decision, or do you overrule it, like pointing out that a hundred foot fall will kill/cripple you?
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Do the Game Rules Replace Physics, or Are They Just a Way to Adjudicate Actions

Imo, the DM is there to mediate between reality and RAW and he does this by asking "is it appropriate to the story that...?"
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Do the Game Rules Replace Physics, or Are They Just a Way to Adjudicate Actions

inb4 Commoner Railgun.

Sorry, I had to.

I too think it comes down to the DM to decide what happens.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I heard a story about a guy who jumped out of a plane, his parachute didn't open and he hit the ground, but somehow miraculously he was barely hurt.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

If it's the difference between jumping off a 10 story building and getting hit with fireballs from a dozen wizards, you can bet I'm going for the fall. I'd probably die. If I survived, I'd consider myself very lucky, but that doesn't mean I'd make a habit out of jumping off buildings.

Make your players be reasonable with it. If they have a legitimate reason behind their actions, let them do it and deal with the consequences. If the choice is between fighting a pair of orcs and jumping off a building, um, unless they're level 1 Commoners, they can probably handle the orcs. There is no reason for them to jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I heard a story about a guy who jumped out of a plane, his parachute didn't open and he hit the ground, but somehow miraculously he was barely hurt.
    The record for surviving a fall without a parachute is ~33,000 feet; the record for surviving and walking away essentially unhurt is ~11,000 feet. So yeah, it's possible.

In terms of the OP, remember two things: first, a character with 90 HP is essentially superhuman, and it's not all 'meat;' hit points include luck and divine favor and skill according to the rules. So if this heroic figure jumps off a building and survives, then he skidded off a window ledge halfway down and the ground was softer where he hit and he rolled just right; very action-hero to survive such a fall.

Second, remember that getting hit for 50 involves a roll for massive damage. While it's not probable on 10d6, it's most definitely possible, and the player IS taking his character's life in his hands by jumping.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2010-07-05 at 06:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

To clarify my position on falling, if the PC is thrown off a tower by a Swordsage, or Bullrushed off or whatever, I'll roll the 10d6, apply the damage, and use some kind of narrative plot armor explanation. You landed in something soft, you hit an awning on the way down, something.

And, yeah, there are a handful of anecdotes of people surviving high falls.

I just want to know how you rule on the character saying "Meh. Screw it. It's only 10d6."

I'd point out that, while yes, he's a badass, your character does not know how many HP he has, and is not confident he will survive a hundred foot fall.

I just wanted an idea of how the forum population skews on this.
    Last edited by Mike_G; 2010-07-05 at 06:44 PM.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Do you allow this kind of obvious metagame decision, or do you overrule it, like pointing out that a hundred foot fall will kill/cripple you?
    If you want your game to be deadlier, sure go with it. But this is a game of epic proportions. Anything with more than 3 or 4 levels already surpasses what humans are physically capable of doing(casters do that from level 1). If your guy can enter a building on fire because "it's just 1d6/round", then falling is already something that doesn't really hurt to be survivable.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'd point out that, while yes, he's a badass, your character does not know how many HP he has, and is not confident he will survive a hundred foot fall.
    I don't see how he needs to know the exact number to realise that he's too crazy-tough for it to kill him.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-05 at 06:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

How about you don't tell them the exact distance? It's not like they have a 100 foot measuring tape. Just say that it's "a really, really, (seriously) REALLY far way down." In other words, describe the height instead of just telling them how high they are. Although, if it's really the top of a building then I guess they'll still know the approximate height.

EDIT: You can always start putting spikes at ground level if this is really a problem.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-07-05 at 06:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

How about you don't tell them the exact distance? It's not like they have a 100 foot measuring tape. Just say that it's "a really, really, (seriously) REALLY far way down." In other words, describe the height instead of just telling them how high they are. Although, if it's really the top of a building then I guess they'll still know the approximate height.
    There's a cap on falling damage of 20d6 due to terminal velocity. Most 20th-level characters can easily survive that provided they're not too injured already.

Bear in mind that a 7th-level character is equivalent to the greatest humans who ever lived, guys who break Olympic records and do crazy stuff on Youtube, and that every two levels added on is a doubling of power. Even mid-level fighters regularly break the laws of physics.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-05 at 07:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    There's a cap on falling damage of 20d6 due to terminal velocity. Most 20th-level characters can easily survive that provided they're not too injured already.
    And is that a problem? If so, see my edit about spikes above.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The issue with DND is that characters stop being realistic past level 6. By level 7, anyone with a decent ability score (+3 modifier) and max ranks in something like, say jump, is beating all Olympic records out there. Yeah, it might come up that a 6th level character could soak that 10d6 falling damage, but there have been some cases of people surviving terminal velocity.

Admittedly, the physics behind the DND rules aren't entirely accurate, much in the same way that Newtonian physics isn't entirely accurate when dealing with objects on a relativistic scale like electrons, it does an acceptable level of moderation for "normal human" levels. Once characters hit 7th level, they've transcended the mundane and become something more, so they should expect to fall some 500 ft. and just brush themselves off on impact.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with the OP here. If a character accidentally falls from a great height, I'll apply normal D&D rules...and if the character survives, I'll make up a reason, and give a dramatic description of careening off outcroppings on the wy down, clawing at loose roots, and finally reaching bottom, battered but alive.

But if a character simply steps off a building, because the rules won't kill him? Now he's not acting like a real person anymore. (Unless the situation is truly desperate. I mean, people jump out of tall buildings when they can't escape a fire...but only because they would rather die from the fall than be burned alive.)

And acting like your character is an assemblage of numbers, rather than a plausible person in a story, adds nothing to the game. The first time it happens, I would let the character survive...but make a point of not rolling any dice, just describing an outcome that left him badly hurt but not dead. And I would explain to the players that this was their only warning. When things happen despite their best efforts, physics will bend to game rules to keep them alive. But when they start acting as if their characters know it's a game, physics will have its revenge.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    I'm with the OP here. If a character accidentally falls from a great height, I'll apply normal D&D rules...and if the character survives, I'll make up a reason, and give a dramatic description of careening off outcroppings on the wy down, clawing at loose roots, and finally reaching bottom, battered but alive.
    Hit points are an abstraction oddity. We sure can say that he survived because he outlucked gravity.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

But if a character simply steps off a building, because the rules won't kill him? Now he's not acting like a real person anymore. (Unless the situation is truly desperate. I mean, people jump out of tall buildings when they can't escape a fire...but only because they would rather die from the fall than be burned alive.)

And acting like your character is an assemblage of numbers, rather than a plausible person in a story, adds nothing to the game. The first time it happens, I would let the character survive...but make a point of not rolling any dice, just describing an outcome that left him badly hurt but not dead. And I would explain to the players that this was their only warning. When things happen despite their best efforts, physics will bend to game rules to keep them alive. But when they start acting as if their characters know it's a game, physics will have its revenge.
    Again, you don't have to know that you're in a game to know that you're The Terminator. Many PCs are significantly tougher than The Terminator. If you can survive being stabbed in the face with Excalibur while poisoned and on fire, why would you be scared of falling?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-05 at 07:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I was not aware that adventurers generally act like real people. I mean what real person is going to do things like successfully cast spells or swim in lava and not suffer lasting harm.
    Last edited by olentu; 2010-07-05 at 07:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I stand by what I said earlier, this is also an excellent answer. Unless they have a reason to be able to instantly figure out how high they are, there's no reason that they should know whether it's 100 feet or 150.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

See, I don't have a problem with the characters being tough and surviving stuff. It's the contempt for danger, because they know the rules.

Indian Jones is a badass. He survives stuff he just shouldn't. Ditto for Conan the Barbarian, Dirty Harry, etc. But Conan doesn't just leap down from the Tower of The Elephant rather than fight the minions on the way down, because they know they can soak the 20d6. Indy doens't say "Knock yourself out, Fritz. That Luger is only 1d8, with a Crit mod of x2. You can't hit more than tow or three times before I kick your butt."

Luck, divine favor, plot armor, applied phlebotinum, all these work for me if the PC is fighting and takes a ballista bolt, or does the Butch and Sundace leap. It's just that when presented with stuff that should be dangerous, but which they know they can survive by RAW, it breaks the mood.

In our group, regardless of DM, shrugging and stepping off the ledge since "it's only 10d6" will result in at least a broken leg by DM fiat, after "are you sure you want to do that?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Hit points are an abstraction oddity. We sure can say that he survived because he outlucked gravity.
    Just like how wizards learn how to fly by throwing themselves at the ground and missing.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    massive damage.
    This is a horrible rule. Melee can easily bring this rule into play with each attack at level 11 if they hit. Casters can bring this into play too if they try.

24 strength (Base 16, +4 from Orc, +2 from items +2 from level up) Plus a collision greatsword. Each attack deals 2d6+17. If each attack hits your opponent has to make a save for massive damage before adding in things from power attack or even rolling.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-07-05 at 07:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

See, I don't have a problem with the characters being tough and surviving stuff. It's the contempt for danger, because they know the rules.

Indian Jones is a badass. He survives stuff he just shouldn't. Ditto for Conan the Barbarian, Dirty Harry, etc. But Conan doesn't just leap down from the Tower of The Elephant rather than fight the minions on the way down, because they know they can soak the 20d6. Indy doens't say "Knock yourself out, Fritz. That Luger is only 1d8, with a Crit mod of x2. You can't hit more than tow or three times before I kick your butt."

Luck, divine favor, plot armor, applied phlebotinum, all these work for me if the PC is fighting and takes a ballista bolt, or does the Butch and Sundace leap. It's just that when presented with stuff that should be dangerous, but which they know they can survive by RAW, it breaks the mood.

In our group, regardless of DM, shrugging and stepping off the ledge since "it's only 10d6" will result in at least a broken leg by DM fiat, after "are you sure you want to do that?"
    Well indiana jones, conan, and so forth are probably not all super high level and so stuff that is dangerous to regular people is probably still dangerous to them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on how "practical"/detached they are. 20d6 points of damage has got to hurt like crazy (given that 14 damage would kill the average commoner instantly), and few people would submit themselves to that even if there were no lasting effects.

And Indy doesn't count since he's not inhumanly tough (to my knowledge).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-05 at 07:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. He'd have to be inhumanly tough to survive the start. However, Indiana jones is a poor comparison to D&D.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-07-05 at 07:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I actually don't find that HP damage causes much of a problem. Most players have an instinctive caution about getting hurt, so they're likely to look for alternatives to things like jumping off a building.

More annoying issues in my experience result from the interaction between players and the the gameworld, like abusing the distinction between OOC and IC time (such as players having long, involved discussions when they're supposed to be in the middle of a 6-second combat round).
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I've personally never been a fan of bringing the rules of the real world into D&D. The game is by definition unrealistic. If you want realism you should go for a game where people can't turn bat poop into fireballs with a couple of words and finger gestures.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    More annoying issues in my experience result from the interaction between players and the the gameworld, like abusing the distinction between OOC and IC time (such as players having long, involved discussions when they're supposed to be in the middle of a 6-second combat round).
    "Having fought for their lives together on many occasions, our characters know each other so well that they can communicate an idea with so little as a glance."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    This is a horrible rule. Melee can easily bring this rule into play with each attack at level 11 if they hit. Casters can bring this into play too if they try.

24 strength (Base 16, +4 from Orc, +2 from items +2 from level up) Plus a collision greatsword. Each attack deals 2d6+17. If each attack hits your opponent has to make a save for massive damage before adding in things from power attack or even rolling.
    Well, first, massive damage requires that it come in a single attack, not multiples in a round. So the attack you describe won't do it even with a full-damage hit. It would take a crit or a multiplier like a charge build or some such.

Second, this is exactly the kind of situation in which using a normally-not-so-hot rule can be a solution instead of a problem; using it as a special case for attacks that can't be avoided or mitigated (like falling damage) might make the PCs respect such hazards more, even if you don't apply the rule in most cases.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2010-07-05 at 07:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Neither are Dirty Harry or even Conan the Barbarian.

D&D is a different genre. High level characters will know that they can walk away after hitting the ground at terminal velocity, because they're inhumanly tough.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Well, first, massive damage requires that it come in a single attack, not multiples in a round. So the attack you describe won't do it even with a full-damage hit. It would take a crit or a multiplier like a charge build or some such..
    Okay, fine. The rule is still stupid and easy to break.