New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears [closed]

The oak doors swing open, revealing a great hall made of mortar, stone and wood. Large windows line one side of the hall. Wooden benches line the other side. Heavy velvet curtains have been drawn shut to keep out the winter chill.

An enormous fireplace lies at the midpoint of the room, facing the covered windows. Torches burn in wall sconces, providing festive illumination. Paintings and tapestries line the walls.

You note an honor guard of a dozen knights in full armor lining the walls. They snap to attention as you enter.

[hr]
    At the far end of the room (100 ft away) Linda stands with her back to you. She is admiring an enormous painting which has been hung on the far wall.

Linda's long white hair shines in the firelight. Her white robe is spotless, and she stands regally at her full height of six feet. She turns slowly when you enter, a smile on her face ...

[hr]
    The painting that towers above her is a portrait of a couple holding hands. The two are obviously lovers or perhaps a young married couple. They appear to be standing on a balcony, with a bucolic landscape in the distance.

The gentleman has dark wavy hair, a neatly trimmed beard, and sparkling blue eyes. A bound leather book is held in his right hand. Sheathed at his waist is the exact dagger that Fizahn is using as a "shortsword".

The woman has dark, lustrous chestnut hair and violet eyes. With a start, you recognize the woman in the portrait as the same mysterious woman you encountered at the spring.

"They make a lovely couple, don't they?" Linda asks. "The founders of House Relik - your ancestors, Sheyra ..."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Linda suspiciously. "I never knew she was that tall!" As Linda talks, he focuses on the portrait. Nervously, he withdraws his 'short sword' and looks at it while attempting to conceal it from the others. Have I been wielding a priceless artifact of Sherya's family. I don't care, it's very unlikely that it's the same one. I'm not going to give it up unless they supply me with one of greater value. "That's great Linda, but we came to talk to you about your experiences after we parted ways. After we learn about those, then maybe we can talk about the founders of House Relik." There's no way Linda could have known that woman! She must have come from Sethra's past. Fizahn gives Linda another suspicious look. "And perhaps you can explain how that woman ended up on the shadow plain with you and where you knew her from..."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 05:14 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Callos

When the seasoned man was lead into the great hall the first thing that struck him was the twelve knights that stood guard around the perimeter. And then all the way down at the far end was Linda staring at some portrait or another. Callos's eyes narrowed quickly as he began to strive down the room towards the sorceress.

"I'm tired of being lead around by my noise here elf! Whats going on here? How could you possibly have known Sheyra's ancestors and how did you escape the plane of Shadow without your own pursuer?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #4

Aeroz

Aeroz has a look that appears to be a mixture of surprise, confusion and anger smeared across his face. His eyes dart between Linda and the painting of the strange woman the group encountered in the plane of shadow.

"Thokk...Fiz? Do you know anything about this? I mean, when we met up with you in the underdark, she was with you."

"And as for you" he says, indicating Linda "Aren't you supposed to be on another plane of existence somewhere?"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy follows the others along to the Hall wordlessly, picking under his fingernails with his dagger with an air of boredom. Inside the a Hall, he listens to the others begin to question Linda, but makes no move to add his voice to the chorus. A hundred feet was a long way to yell, and he didn't particularily feel like trying.

He murmers raspily, focusing on his nailwork, "Real diplomatic entry there. This is bound ta go over great."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Rushing to Linda*

"Linda, lass, are ye alright? What in the blazes happened to you and the others? What is happening now?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

As the honor guard snaps to attention, Lissa gives the knights a mischievous wink and salutes them back.

"Linda, it is you! Great good gods, how did you get out of the Shadow Plane? Who was that woman you met at the spring? We all thought you were dead, or worse!" Lissa smiles up at the white-haired spellcaster, obviously relieved and happy to see her again. Then she looks at the portrait and chokes back a gasp. "That woman... isn't she the one you were talking to at the spring?"

Something REALLY strange is going on here!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

8. - Top - End - #8

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby immediately feels out of place in only his new bathrobe, and his first reaction is to try and hide from the guards amongst the larger members of his group. As he sees Linda, however, and slowly realizes what seems to be happening, he stops his nervous foot-shuffling and drifts across the hall with the rest of the party.
    Why couldn't I just have put on my clothes like every--wait... Linda... that woman... how...?

And then Fizahn and Callos speak.

D'oh. You idiots, this is more important than that, leave the talking to the people who have some idea of what's going on here.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #9

Linda smiles and places a hand on Thokk's shoulders.

"It is good to see you again, Thokk. I should have known that Kelemvor would want nothing to do with you!"

Linda laughs then continues, "I have always felt close to you dwarf, perhaps because we have journeyed so long together. But now that we have both tasted death and returned, we share a bond that the others can not know ..."

The rest of you hang back warily. Linda turns back to the painting.

"Her name was Relik Arzbet'a. I suppose that today she would be called 'Elizabeth.'

"The second time we found ourselves back at the spring, I knew that I wouldn't be allowed to leave the Shadow Plane with her. Leaving her behind was ... difficult. But when I discovered that House Relik had relocated to Telflamm, what I had to do became clear."

Casually, Linda waves a hand toward the doors behind you. They swing closed quietly. Her words don't make complete sense to all of you, but her softly modulated voice seems friendly enough.

Thokk nods and smiles happily as she speaks.

10. - Top - End - #10

Achkby glances at the guards.

I don't really know what's going on right now, I don't know what went on back then, but I do know that magic does go on, and when it comes down to it, I want Thokk utterly unenchanted!

Achkby steps forward, painfully aware that he is not well-clothed for a confrontation of any sort.

"Linda! I hope any 'bonds' you have with Thokk are completely natural. The Mithral Guard are a proud bunch, you wouldn't want to... change his loyalties."

What the heck are you talking about?! You're an idiot! You should never have gotten involved in any of this! That stupid agent creeping up on you...
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"What are ye talking about Achkby, it makes perfect sense! Ive known her for, well, I dont know how long it is anymore, but its long enough!"

12. - Top - End - #12

Elthan II

Of course..., Thinks Elthan, taking a step forward, stareing at the painting.

Calmly,"Death does bind, but of course you have never died. At least not in whole. If this visit was for her, I wonder what your first visit was for? I know so little about this," turning his head to face Linda, " but you could tell us so much about it Sethra."

(OOC: DUN DUN DUUN... Lets see if Elthan is slapped by Linda or magic missled by Sethra. taking all bets)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa frowns. 'Both tasted death and returned'? What in the Nine Hells, I know Linda never died. Unless... Then Elthan makes his Accusation, and the pieces snap into place. An ugly snarl, unlike any expression her friends have ever seen on the diminutive gnome's face, appears as she draws her shadow-blade. She may have gone unarmored, but Lissa would sooner go naked than completely unarmed. "YOU! You son of a filthy kobold, you shael vuk! YOU murdered Sedryn, you blinded me, and now you try to corrupt Thokk!" Lissa begins the familiar incantations of the spell that will protect her from evil, the only spell she has left...

OOC: Cast protection from evil on self.

14. - Top - End - #14

Aeroz

"Why is it always that you wizards just refuse to stay dead?"

Aeroz's left hand drops to his rapier and his other wriggles one of the daggers concealed in his sleeve under the cover of his cloak.

[OOC: Sleight of Hand check to draw a concealed weapon: 18 (Roll)+9(Skill Mod) +2 (Dagger is small) +4 (Cloak)=33. Wow, thats a very high roll]

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

15. - Top - End - #15

Fizahn:

Fizahn quickly moves over to Sherya. He looks at 'Linda' maliciously. He begins whispering to Sherya in a low tone full of warning."Now might be a good time for you to order your troops to attack 'Linda.' She's really Sethra and wants to kill you."
    "Thokk, you've known me for far longer than Sethra." Fizahn says this while walking up to 'Linda' and Thokk. "And you've known Linda longer also. Doesn't it make you slightly mad that Sethra is using Linda's body to try and get you to kill me, your companion?" He remains wary of both Thokk and 'Linda,' watching for an attack.

OOC: Warning Sherya and moving to Thokk and 'Linda.' Fizahn is so set in his conviction that Linda is Sethra that he will (sneak) attack her if he gets close enough.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 05:18 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Wait...she's Sethra?! Oh Hells, why do I have to do this now!"

The necromancer raised his hands up hastily in front of his face. It felt decidedly odd to be casting a spell without his spellbook in front of him but style be damned! A determined glare filled his eyes as he completed the last motion. A brief thought came to him then, that through out all the time in the Underdark he had learned to be fairly self sufficent, to the point where he almost disregarded weapons and armor. It was with a wry smile he realized that he had no weapons or armor and still had the same potential for damage.

((Heightened Blindness Will Save 15))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, dont ye dare draw a weapon on her! Ive known ya two the longest, and we both know she wouldnt ever try do to anything bad or evil, much less harbor Sethra and try to kill us. Hahaha! Its Linda, lads! No worries, and its by Moradins divine provodence we are all here together again."

18. - Top - End - #18

Darius

"It appears dying has knocked you out of your senses Thokk... this woman is not who you think she is. This woman is the reason for all the hell we've gone through..."

Darius notches an arrow, aiming it directly at Linda, if she makes a threatening move, he'll release it.

((EDIT: Spelling))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih draws the dagger from his overcoat pocket and spins it in one hand.

Looking nervously at the knights, he quickly snaps his eyes back to the growing confrontation.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

20. - Top - End - #20

"It is not death that has clouded his mind, Darius, but rather the nefarious magic of whoever now stands before us," Achkby states slowly. He feels distrubingly calm; everything seems to have straightened itself out around this new conundrum.

Deliberately, he invokes a few round draconic words of power, calling into existence round him a field of force, which glints greenly on his exposed skin. The wide gestures which accompany its creation feel refreshingly free in his bathrobe. He lets his real clothes slip to the floor, fully ready to do combat unarmed and in nothing more than some fluffy white cotton.

[OOC]Oh, right. Casting Magic Missile, if you couldn't tell.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

21. - Top - End - #21

Sheyra looks at Fizahn with confusion. "What? What are you talking about?" Garent tries the doors behind him and finds them wizard locked.

The soldiers standing against the walls exchange puzzled glances.

[hr]
    Callos acts pre-emptively, casting blindness on Linda. She cries out, grabbing at her eyes. "By the gods! Callos tried to blind me! Who would have thought he would cast blindness? What a total surprise!"

She then drops her hands and starts laughing. She winks at Callos as if to say, you'll have to do better than that ...

That's all the excuse Darius needs. He buries an arrow into Linda's chest.

[hr]
    Linda looks down with interest at the arrow in her chest. She grasps the shaft and pulls it from her body. She looks at the bloody arrowhead with a smirk on her face, then licks it gently before tossing it aside.

"Well, Thokk, you see how our so-called 'friends' are so quick to turn on us! You will need some protection against their treachery!"

Linda touches Thokk lightly, imbuing him with a protective spell. She then whispers softly and seems to flicker for a moment. Suddenly there are five Linda's standing behind Thokk.

"Help me, Thokk! Don't let them hurt me!"

OOC: Linda is unaffected by Callos' spell. Linda is struck by Darius's arrow and Achkby's magic missiles. Achkby casts mage armor on himself. Linda casts mage armor on Thokk and mirror image on herself.

22. - Top - End - #22

Achkby doesn't know Magic Missile, I'm an idiot. I definitely meant to say Mage Armor

Achkby blinks.

I know that spell.

"They're just doubles! Hit them with something weak until we find out where she is!" he advises the group.

[OOC]I love that spell, and know it well, so I hope you don't mind I decide that Achkby is familiar, as well.[/OOC]

He moves to Sheyra, and repeats for her the same spell he cast upon himself.

[OOC]Casting Mage Armor again.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #23

Elthan II

Frustrated, Elthan takes a stance next to Linda.
    "Oh calm down. We haven't so much glanced at him our entire journey. I don't think your going to be able to hurt him. And stop the charade Sethra. Linda's never died and hasn't so much ability as you've shown."
    "Sethra, if you wanted to kill her, you could have done so long ago, I'm sure. So why did you hold out? It could be that you where just waiting to get out of the underdark, but mybye something at the spring could say otherwise? She may be Sarlocs hier, but she is also Elizabeths hier. Aside from a painting, your memory, or whatever that spring can conjure up, she is all thats left to her."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Why? Why do you hate me Mystara? Why can't I actually blind someone and make things easier? Did I offend you? Not pray enough, didn't donate, was it because I peed in the holy water when I was little? Just tell me why?!

All of these thoughts and more kept on going through his mind over and over again as he continiued to stride forward. Silent determination filled his eyes before the proverbial torch went off in his head.

"Thokk, listen to me. We don't want to hurt Linda but we have to restrain her. You know what harm this group can inflict on enemies and I know you don't want to have to hurt us. So help us restrain her until we can gurantee she is who she is. C'mon Thokk, think about it! Do what a true member of the Mithril Guard would and help end this peacebly!"

Even as his fists came up into the ready position a thought struck him. There might be an easier way to remove Thokk from the battle without hurting him...

"Guards! Protect your lady and detain Linda! Don't stand there like imbeciles!"

((Readied action to cast Fear on Thokk if he doesn't listen to Callos.))

25. - Top - End - #25

Aeroz

"Thokk, you stupid idiot, look at yourself. Why do you befriend her? When that mummy broke your neck, what did she do to help? Nothing! She let you die! She could have done something but instead she let you die! She killed Graevic, Taern and Sedryn! Through action or inaction, she killed them and you want to protect her? That's almost as worse as killing them yourself. Mithral Guard? Bah, you don't deserve that position if you won't realize who your real friends are!"

Flicking his cloak back, he draws his rapier and dashes foreward. Dagger readied, he readies to take on the dwarf.

[OOC: Drawing and moving 20ft foreward as a move action, Diplomacy - 14+1=15]

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa spits out several truly vile curses in Draconic, knowing that Linda/Sethra will understand her. "Achkby, Elthans, Callos! If any of you have a dispel magic prepared, hit the bastard with it!" She runs over to Fizahn and begins whispering in his ear, hoping Thokk won't hear her. "I'm going in on Linda, if you'll come with me. Sethra's attention will be focused on me; use that distraction to pick her pockets clean, hopefully you'll find the fire opal and Lumpy can smash the cursed thing. I was a cat-burglar, never learned to pick pockets, so it's up to you! Agreed?" As she talks, Lissa pulls a tiny blue vial out of her haversack, thanking Baravar that she hadn't wanted to leave her pack in the servants' hands. After all, it wouldn't do for strangers to find certain things... like that blue vial, for instance. Once she's done talking to Fizahn, Lissa concentrates on the delicate task of applying her favorite poison to the shadow-blade, praying that this isn't the one time she slips up and poisons herself...

OOC: Retrieve vial of blue whinnis and apply it to shadow-blade.
    Poison use roll = 27 (success)
    Will save to disbelieve mirror image: 11 + 3 + 2 = 16

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Probably too late to bow out of this one.

Watching the events unfold, Lumpy glances down at the dagger in his hand with an annoyed expression, still cleaning his nails. With a resigned scowl, he sets into motion.

Well, screw it then. Let's get it over with.

While a more methodical person might have paused at the prospect of choosing between five possible targets, he takes the eassiest option, simply picking one Linda at random. Casually, he flips the dagger over to his right hand, sidearming it towards his quarry in a practiced motion.

Even then, his recently vacated left hand has slipped down to loosen his flail from it's customary place at his waist, bringing it to ready as he starts to approach the mage and the dwarf.

((OOC

Lumpy flings his shaving dagger at a random image, then moves towards Linda and Thokk, drawing his weapon.

Dagger (1d20+5, 1d4+4=[15, 5], [2, 4])
    ))

28. - Top - End - #28

Darius

Darius rapidly fire two shots, each at a separate Linda, he'll make sure to not fire at the one Lumpy attacks.

"This should take care of them quick enough!"

((If Lumpy hits the real Linda and the others dissappear, Darius will send both arrows at the real. If Lumpy misses the real one and Darius hits the real one with his first arrow, he'll also use his second on it.))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih leaps towards the nearest Linda clone, dagger in hand. He lashes out with his dagger and swings his free hand in a wide haymaker punch.

((OOC))
    Dagger:
    To hit: 21
    Damage: 6

Fist:
    To hit: 10
    Damage: (Just in case) 5 (non lethal)
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

30. - Top - End - #30

Fizahn:

"That might work, as long as I'm somewhere Thokk's sword can't get me!" Fizahn quickly replies. As Lissa moves forward, Fizahn picks the Linda farthest from Thokk that is not being shot at by an arrow and begins a diving roll to get near her. As he springs up next to the Linda, he attacks her with his dagger to make sure she's real.

OOC: Tumbles to a Linda as far from Thokk as possible and attacks it. He will go towards the real Linda if either Lumpy of Darius finds it, but will attempt a pickpocket instead of attack.
    Tumble: 30
    To hit: 22 Damage: 4
    Let's hope he doesn't have to pick pocket this round: 8
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 05:22 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.