New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Callos

Stopping for merely another moment or so to speak just loud enough for the others to hear.

"I would be staying if my intellect was needed. No one here seems to want it at the moment, merely moral guidance and I am no cleric. I know what needs to be done and if no one else follows I'll go by myself. The only thing I'll contribute to this....debate is this. What makes you think the cyrohydra is any weaker from the previous battle?"

Having said his piece the necromancer hurried out of the hall and down to the stables. More then a little surprised to find the gnomes and lizardman there he ignores their presence as he climbs into the cart with his belongings and sits down moodily. He would at least wait for their decision before leaving.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Delphinia

Delphinia seems unperturbed by Callos's comment. "Well, of course it'll be fine by morning for sure. It wasn't even bleeding anymore when we checked out the tracks. That doesn't mean it should be allowed to run free. Seems to me, if you kids have to go save the world, then get going and do it. I'm for sure worried about what'll be left, though. I don't hold much truck with saving the world. That kind of thing is too big for me. But a town, that's something I can wrap my head around." She stands up in her chair and reaches over for some bread, then sits back down and starts ripping it up to eat it.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Ulrich broods in silence for a while until he is directly addressed by Thokk. "Oh, yes ... the reward ... of course. The message I sent offered a 2000 gp reward for slaying the beast plaguing our village. The gold will be yours if you are willing to help us now."

"The orcs believe that the hydra sleeps during the day. If you are able to track the monster to its lair while it is resting, perhaps you can catch it unawares. To kill the beast, you will have to chop off its heads, but beware - it will grow new heads if its wounds are not cauterized with fire!"

After the impromptu meal, small crystal vials are brought out and given to those of you injured in the fight with the cryohydra. "These draughts will restore your energy and warm your bones. Drink them and sleep well!"

Lord Ulrich rises and takes his leave. Servants (human, not orc) stand by, ready to lead you to your rooms, when you are ready to leave the table.

[hr]
    As Callos slips back to the stables, he finds Lissa and Fizahn deep in conversation with the lizardman. They are trying to explain what happened to Sheyra while he was lost in the Underdark. Callos isn't very familiar with lizardfolk body language, but from the knotted tension in the lizardman's posture and by the way his claws are digging into a wooden post, he suspects that the lizardman is not pleased.

Once the story is complete, a sad silence falls over the stable. Unexpectedly, Trinark coughs.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach lads, we need to prepare. We seem rather split in our desired courses of action. I believes I have one we can all agree on. We need to go North. The river the hyrda was stalking flows North. Correct me if I be mistaken, but we can travel a helluva lot faster by boat then by foot. I propose we spend tomorrow preparing, and leave two days hence, slay the beast, then float down the now free waterways. Make sense to the lot of yer?"

OOC: Ouch, twice ignored by Ulrich, Thokk isnt pleased

5. - Top - End - #515
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy eyes the vial curiosly for a moment before deciding foul play would be impractical at this point. He drains it quickly,

"Just float upriver, eh? On what, dare I ask? I ain't no shipwirght, and while I'm sure our collective talents are real esoteric, I don't think boatcraft's one'a them, much less putting something capable'a holding all the folk and horses we got."

6. - Top - End - #516

Si'rene frowns at Thokk's suggestion. "We need to reach the River Mulsantir far to the east before heading north to Rashemen. The river we just crossed would simply float us back to the Sea of Starry Night."

OOC: Lord Ulrich wasn't ignoring Thokk. I just made an error. I corrected my previous post to reflect that Thokk was the one who asked him directly about the reward.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos, the oh so very confused

Cough? Did the dead body just...cough? Thats a new one. I've seen them dance, juggle, perform sleight of hand, attack villages, stand guard, make good furniture, be pack mules, rise from a grave, haunt a town, and play instruments, but coughing.....Thats just messed up.

The implications hadn't quite set into his mind yet, he was too busy simply staring at the supposedly dead (or was it undead?) drow who had just made a noise. A slow blink and then the necromancer was heading over to the body with delibrate carefullness and prodded Trinark in the side. Maybe he had imangined it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

After walking for a bit (short legs and all) Yix finally makes it to where the cart was left only to find a group of people there. By the shocked expressions on their faces Yix can tell he just missed something. Cursing his luck for always missing the good stuff Yix walks over to the others, trying to figure out whats going on.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Halfling in the Playground

Silithos

hearing thoughts of taking a boat Silithos rejoins the conversasion Ah a boat, back on the water, where I was meant to be.

[color=Lime Green]I think that once we reach a river that takes us where we need to go using a boat would be the best way to travel as I am an excellent sailor and am high in favor of Umberlee the queen of the depths! [/color]Silithos proclaims grinning
    Jayne: I wish I could say the same but Lawrence I am dissapointed as hell.

Video did not kill the raidio star I DID!!!

who you gonna call?....

10. - Top - End - #520
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

The days of travel, and the long journey this evening, have finally caught up to Nyssa. She stands slowly, finds a servant, and asks to be taken anywhere she can get some sleep.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih grins, perhaps the affect of a bit too much wine, until he hears Silithos' suggestion.

"...A boat?" He asks, a look of barely contained panic on his face, "I'd rather take on that hydra alone than go on any boat."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Upon hearing the cough, Lissa turns around and stares at Trinark's body- or maybe Trinark?- for a long moment, her expression almost a parody of shock and disbelief. Then her hand shoots out, feeling at the drow's neck for a pulse. "Great good gods, could he possibly be alive?! Druid, do you have any healing spells prepared? You're better at this stuff than me, see if you can find a pulse..." As she talks, Lissa retrieves her healing wand with her free hand, poised to use it if necessary.

OOC: Heal check!
    6 + 1 = 7 Umm... that probably tells me something along the lines of "he's a drow, and he's not moving". :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

13. - Top - End - #523

Some of you retire for the night, while others pull chairs up to the fireside and sit puffing on some cigars, thoughtfully provided by your host. The conversation jumps from hydras to boats to tobacco as everyone's eyelids begin to get heavy ...

[hr]
    Meanwhile, in the stables a surprising scene is unfolding. As Yix hops up onto the cart, he is astonished to see Lissa, Fizahn and the lizardman ripping the furs from the drow's body.

Lissa checks Trinark for signs of life while Callos pokes at the drow's body clumsily. The drow's skin is cold as ice, and Lissa begins to think that the cough was a hallucination when finally her small fingers feel a faint pulse at the carotid artery.

"He is alive!"

14. - Top - End - #524
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

"The hells?!" rips through the minds of those around Yix before he fals off the cart in pure and utter shock. After a bit of composing himself and picking his jaw up off the floor Yix hopes back up onto the cart and stares in sheer awe of Trinark.

15. - Top - End - #525

Fizahn:

Fizahn whips out his 'short sword' as soon as he hears the cough. When he realizes it came from Trinark, he immediately goes over to help Lissa and the druid remove all his furs. He waits in fearful anticipation as Lissa checks for a pulse. His joyous thoughts are cut short suddenly by Yix's plummet from the cart. He spins around, his 'short sword' out and ready for trouble. "Smooth dragon," he mutters as he sheathes his 'short sword' and turns once more to face Trinark.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 06:34 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Another harsh cough escapes Trinark's throat...

Sooo cooolllddd...

His right hand twiches, then his whole arm spasms. Only to be followed by another series of sharp coughs.

One thing is certain though, Trinark is indeed alive!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Well I must say that this is a rather odd surprise.

The necromancer's mind just kinda shut down and began to run on auto-pilot as he hurried over to the cart with his belongings and pulled out his blanket. It was with the same speed that he hurried back and wrapped the cold numb body of Trinark in it and lightly slapped his cheeks.

"Wakey wakey drow. C'mon. Eager people to meet you."

18. - Top - End - #528

Aeroz

"Hajh, Thokk and now the drow? People associated with this group sure have a habit of not being dead when everyone else thinks they are" Aeroz comments as he arrives to see the dark elf regain conscious.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

19. - Top - End - #529

Many of you are drawn to the commotion in the stables. As Trinark revives, he begins to shiver uncontrollably, but Lissa and the lizardman are able to slowly return his body temperature to normal.

After Trinark is carried inside, servants provide another vial of healing elixir, and the drow is placed gently in a warm bed to rest for the night. The lizardman insists on staying by the drow's bedside.

[hr]
    The next morning dawns bright and sunny ... and noisy. The inner courtyard is filled with the cacophony of mixed livestock forced into close quarters.

A large group of human villagers and orcs has gathered outside Lord Ulrich's guest house - word has spread about the nocturnal visitors and their exotic companions ... a lizardman AND a dark elf!!!

Lord Ulrich and Lady Ulrich are at their customary places at opposite ends of the great table for breakfast. The fare is pretty much the same as the midnight meal. Lord Ulrich apologizes for the meager offering.

Trinark's presence at the table naturally fascinates Lord Ulrich, who begins asking him rapid fire questions about life in the Underdark, which Trinark does his best to deflect politely.

Even Lady Ulrich shows some emotion at the drow's appearance, arching a single eyebrow.

As the servants clear the table after breakfast, Lord Ulrich leans forward in his chair. "So will you be heading out to slay the hydra then?"

20. - Top - End - #530

Lizardkin Druid

As Trinark had revived fully just before morning dawned, he opened his eyes to the sight of the lizardman meditating by the bedside.

Opening his eyes the lizardman had growled only one thing
    "Do not... EVER ..do that again"

Little was said other than Trinark convincing the lizardman that a spare vial would not do him harm.
    [hr]
    The drow sat now at a table of the lord of this big stone house. Similar to Sheyra's but without a warm pool.
    He hovered protectively over Trinark.

His hood was pulled over. but as binding his tail was uncomfortable he let it peek out from under the back.
    The humans here knew him to be a lizardman anyway.

His eyes rested on the leader's mate. As a druid he read an animal's thoughts from body language and instinct and he knew something to be wrong with her intuitively.

Not knowing what was wrong specifically and believing his packmates to not take him seriously he did not bring it up.
    [hr]
    In answer to the leader's question, he simply hissed a loud "YES". Even with his intelligence he could see that the hydra was troubling these humans and.....

..... it was on the way back to Sheyra anyway.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

21. - Top - End - #531
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Striking up the stump of cigar he'd saved from last night, Lumpy shrugs,

"Ain't sure. If it were as simple as someone saying yes or no, we'd know, and if it was up ta me, we'd be done and gone already,"

He lets it hang for a moment, puffing on the cigar a few times,

"But it ain't, so mayhaps ya'll get lucky."

22. - Top - End - #532

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

The dreams had come again that night. She saw the dead rise, she saw her family killed. She was alone by a crypt, fighting off the corpses. She was about to fall.

Each of the abominations was familiar to her, like family themselves. She remembered the face of each and every one she'd helped to bury. And, when their faces were gone, she remembered a detail -- a ring, a tattered piece of clothing that remained hanging from their bones, strangely enough, a limp or a missing limb. She knew them all.

Her charges had risen up to bring her down.

She had woken up with a start, frightened, but controlled herself quickly. It's okay to be afraid. It's not okay to STAY afraid.

So, the dreams. Were they a warning? Did they mean she was straying from the direction she should go, or already on it? Or did they just mean she was exhausted and rightfully confused from the news of the drow rising from the dead?

Nyssa plays with her food, eating little. Maybe today would indeed be the day she didn't stick her nose in everyone else's business. Nolan would be pleased, at least.

23. - Top - End - #533

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby sighs.
    Not again. Couldn't we finish this last night? We'll be arguing as we pack the horses.

Wary of arguing with the determined and well-beloved lizardman across the table form him, Achkby nonetheless quietly objects.
    "Druid," he begins, "Now that we know Trinark survived, the hydra has taken nothing from us. I want to help these people too, of course, but there is a greater evil we must stop, and that means heading north.
    The more of us who travel that way, the greater our chances of our success. And we value your companionship, in and out of times of trouble.
    Please, we can return after we have spoken to lords of the North.
    "
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Delphinia seemed unruffled by anything that had happened with these people so far. Undead attacking people in an Inn? Okay. Hydra rampaging through the wilderness? Okay. Orcs guarding humans? Okay. This guy dies, then gets better? Okay. People trying to avert The End Of The World As We Know It? Okay.

The food here is pretty good. I wonder if these kids'll notice when I go off to track down the hydra? I wonder if any of them will come with me? That would sure help a lot.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Nolan notices how distracted Nyssa is this morning. "Isn't this your cue to tell everyone what they should be doing?" he whispers to Nyssa with a nudge and a small smile.

26. - Top - End - #536

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa smils at Nolan, reaches for her fork, stabs a potato, and flicks it at him. He was right. He was also damnably agile, easily deflecting her potato missile.

"I know you barely know me, but I feel we should go back. That hydra's a hazard to a lot of people, and should only delay us a short time if we work together."

27. - Top - End - #537
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark dreamed of his ordeal. Remembering his last moments, where he was filled with the healing energy of his spell. Then the abrupt cold of the breath weapon, and slowly drifting away into numbing cold...

He opened his eyes slowly, noticing his friend and companion sitting next to his bed. It was true, he was alive, and it was a miracle.

His lizardkin friend growled at him, "Do not...EVER...do that again." Trinark tried to smile, thinking his friend was trying to be funny. Then he realized how painful the experience must have been for him.

Trinark spoke in a hoarse whisper, "She said it was not my time yet. There is important work left to do, and I was given a second chance. She believes I am worthy of her grace."

The lizardman didn't respond, but Trinark didn't expect him to. Eventually, Trinark managed to rise from the bed and dress himself with relatively little assistance.

During the morning meal Trinark endured the noble's questioning politely, but revealing few specific details. When the conversation turned to the opportunity to dispatch the creature that caused his demise, he was more than attentive. He welcomed the chance to slay such a vile beast.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Before Eating, Thokk goes and visits Trinark*
    "Hello lad, I seem to remember you from something but Im not quite sure. Regardless, what did you see? Now im not the only one who has returned to this world from the beyond"

*At the table*

"Ach, we should smash it! Though we need probally another day to prepare, yer lordship. As I have asked before, would we be able to gather some simple supplies before we leave to slay the hydra?"

29. - Top - End - #539

Lizardkin Druid
    Looking directly at Achkby,
    he is unusually eloquent and his agitation is given away by his raised neck and back spikes which are revealed as he pushes back his hood. You notice that he has painted his face with some ceremonial symbols.
    "Spear-wielder, I was moving north with my other pack, carrying an object given to us by Sheyra but Not-sheyra. A hatchling is now possessed by this cursed spirit.

So much death, evil and imbalance around us. I sense a... growing tide which will destroy the growing things and birds and beasts that live."

"In my heart, I ..felt.. i had failed.. my people.. and you"
    When he says 'you', he swings a claw to take in all the SoSN party.

"I am druid. Hunter. Lizardkin. ...and now Pinkskin-friend. All things are joined. We are here. NOW. together."He looks at the whole party, newcomers included. "The hydra must die. Sethra must die. They are prey and we are hunters. This is the way of things. I will feast on hydraflesh tonight and seek guidance on ssethra"

His speech is hissing and there is clear emotion at some points but all present sense that the druid is clearly determined to hunt the hydra down and return back the way to Teflamn to take out Sethra by whatever means.
    By 'guidance', you assume he means something spiritual.
    He clearly is ready to move and seems restless. Darting glances he gives to the lady of the manor seem to be the only thing out of place.

OOC: the face-paint is from some miscellaneous herbs i carry and I used up my CLW last night and drank a potion (to update the char thread.)
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

After the lizardkin speaks Yix looks up from his meal, "Does hyrdaflesh taste good?" Yix asks him licking his lips together in anticipation.