New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Thokk

*Thokk stares at the women coldly before completely bursting out*

'Are ye completely daft women?!?! If yer have so many agents and power, why in the gods names why were ye not able to stop it! And even so, why the blazes us? How dare you drag us into something that is, sorry, WAS, not our problem or fear? Now yer go around spouting prophacies of doom, and we dont exactly have alot of choices about what we can do! We have not had two solid days of rest and relaxation in blasted months! Some of us have DIED! Can yer get that through the damned porclen that covers yer face? DIED. All through following this deranged loony. I have a personal bone with him and fully intend on settling the score, but you just all the more fully dragged us into something that was not our concern, nor should have. What kind of help or conpensation can you offer us, seeming that you are weighing the world on our heads?!?! Blah!

*Thokk begins cursing fluently in Dwarfen before pulling out of his backpack a large newly bought leather bound tome and a fresh quill. He opens it quickly and there is dwarfen writting across the title page, the next page only has a two words written on it, the first in dwarfen and the second, SETHRA. He scrawls a third line in, slams the book shut, and throws it back into his bag*

OOC: Haha, surprise for all of you! If any of you can read dwarfen ill PM you what I just wrote, otherwise you dont know!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elthan

"Thokk, calm down. It's not as though they forced us into it. If I recall, we we're the ones who let Sethra loose, and so decided ourselves to go after him. We made it our problem, Thokk, though I'll be damned if somehow we were played as pawns to do so. I agree, though, that a world altering doom is quite a bit to shoulder. It's out of our leage, for sure. If you're looking for the hero to the story, the one who'll stop Sethra , rescues Sheyra, and saves Faerun, they're not likely to be found in this establishment. A single hero, or even a steadfast collection thereof, would hold little chance agaisnt an undead army."

-------------------------------

"Eh? Sure Callos, Anything for a friend! I have plenty left from our prize so cover any needed supplies. I only have two conditions, the first is how much do you need, the second is that you bring back some supplies for me as well. I can't remember what I need, but I'm sure you'll know what to get. Food stuffs and such really."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

"Well, this is all interesting and whatnot, so I guess I'm in for helping you."
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"No way ta compel us, huh? Gold's compelling enough fer me. If ya can't offer me at leaat the same ya've already been handing out ta certain others, then yer already barking up the wrong tree."

Lumpy leans back from the table, pushing his chair back onto the rear two legs as he props one iron-shod boot against the edge of the tabletop. He bridges His hands together before him, giving the porcelain-masked woman an indifferent sort of expression. The irritability fades from his voice, presenting cold fact,

"Quite frankly, I'm not really all that interested what comes'a this land. It's a big world and I can live just as well anywhere in it. From the sound'a things, ya've brought a lot'a this down on yerself with yer limp-wristed problem solving. Alongside the fact that I been put through so much trouble already because'a it, ya ain't making a terribly persausive argument."

5. - Top - End - #155

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby shifts uncomfortably from foot to foot.

If people weren't given a choice, they wouldn't think twice about rushing off to save the world. Lumpy might grumble, but they'd do it. Now, though... it might take a bit of pushing to get them along.

Heh. Funny. Here I am, ready to help convince them to do something because it's right--well, I'm going to make Aeroz come because he owes me 300 gold nad is going to stay with me until he pays that back--and it was they who taught me there were things worth doing in the world. Had my greed not tied me on to this lot, I'd still be muddling away in some town minding nothing but pay and women.
    And now it's me gone all altruistic.

I wonder if I might not be happier that way? Nonesense. No. Well. I might be happier. I would be happier. Life would be easier, and I wouldn't know anything more important to happiness than pleasure and ease.

Knowing there is doesn't make me happy. It doesn't make me safe. So why do I like this better?
    Do I like it?

Maybe not.
    But I can't help but think I am better off here.
    Or maybe there's some we.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Callos

He sat back heavily in his chair, mind turning over the tumult of information he had been told. All the while he listened to the others responses and wondered at his own decision. An army of undead? The Army of Darkness? The Order of the Serpent? It seemed as if he was being dragged into politics he didn't even know about yet whither he wanted to or not! If that was the case though then this decision would be so very much easier. When he did speak it was slowly and grimly. A determined set was in his own dark eyes as he leaned forward and folded his hands on the table in front of him.

"My decision in this is already made. Persanolly if not globally. If Sheyra is now under Sethra's control then I am going to ensure his destruction. Permenately if I can, if not I'll settle for expelling him from Sheyra's body. As for the rest of the world...I know the horrors undead can commit. An army of undead unleashed on Toril is a nightmare I can only ponder in my darkest dreams. If Mystara has given me the means to prevent that horror then I will."

A small part of the necromancer chided him for not asking for money. The mercenary part of his mind left over from the excavaution dig that had lead him to the Underdark. The larger part of his mind ignored that smaller part. I told Sheyra she could lean on me for strength if she had too. She does now even if she doesn't know it. I am going to help her.

"Well I'm getting some supplies and other things for the journey Elthan. I believe the total comes to...." He taps some fingertips together, mentally summing it up in his head "65 gold pieces and 2 silver.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

"I'm in, but how can we be sure who Sethra has possessed? If he doesn't openly show his hand like in House Relik, we can't be sure if he inhabits Sheyra."
    The ranger taps his foot, glancing to his companions as he does.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

8. - Top - End - #158

The hathran's eyes glitter behind her mask as she looks at the half-orc appraisingly. "As I said, I can not compel you to help. If it is gold you seek, however, perhaps we can negotiate some sort of arrangement ..."

"The ranger has a good point, though. Before deciding on our next course of action, we need to verify that Sethra is indeed acting through the Relik girl. I will visit the Untherite Embassy tonight as a diplomat of Rashemen. When I return, we should have a better idea who and what we are dealing with."

Raising her hood, and nodding farewell, the hathran sweeps out of the tavern, trailed by her retinue of berserkers, leaving you to your drinks.

You sit silently for a minute or two, digesting the words of the Rashemi witch.

[hr]
    Later in the evening, Aeroz strides through the door carrying a long wooden box. He had been off wandering by himself for most of the day and missed the encounter with the Rashemi.

"What's with all of the long faces? Did I miss something?" he asks.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Aye, ye bloody missed something! Some blasted tart in a clay mask has been spewing all forth of a maner of troubles at us, and we find out that it is because of 'er damned shortcommings we ave to save the world!

*Thokk catches himself, and visibly calms down*

"Now, not that kind of thing wouldnt be great and all, but it is being techinally forced upon us, not to mention the fact that we all very likly will die. Again, in some cases."

*Thokk turns his back and starts muttering in Dwarf*

"Ah, tis a pity for them. I have no use for life anymore, being with the oath of the slayer it is my job to vanquish all enimies of Dwarfs, I would particurlay like to take out that fell Incubi, and slay this damned necromancer. This young ones have so much to live for, so much to do. I have already lived three livespans for the tallfolk, and the little uns are just entering their prime, they should not be focred into this, twill age them before their time."

10. - Top - End - #160

Achkby glances uneasily at Thokk before telling Aeroz, "They were Rashemian. She told of a prophecy which said... someone just like Sethra would rise to power in the West. It also suggested that he would go after Sheyra. Knowing all this, they used their great power to send me to keep watch over Sheyra."
    He shoots a sidelong look towards Lumpy this time, and gulps before continuing.

"They didn't, of course, think that it would be good to tell me anything of why I was to watch her. Some of that fault may be mine, as I was eager for the job, though still..."
    He sighs, and goes on.

"They said if he got the Kris, it would vastly increase his power--this is, apparently, what the prophecy decreed--and he would bring enormous legions of undead to ravish the East.

"The Rashemi leader who came to us thinks Sethra survived, and possessed Sheyra. She's gone to find out, and, er... wants us to help if he has,
    " Achkby finishes lamely.

"Finish this, you know?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

11. - Top - End - #161

Aeroz

"So Sethra is alive? Because I am pretty sure we killed Linda, with Sethra's spirit in her. Now, I may not be that well versed in arcane hopjockey, but I'm pretty sure that he should be well and dead."

Aeroz finishes the thought and pauses for a bit. He then lays the wooden box on the table. He opens it, revealing a sword.

"Oh yeah, I ran into one of Prozen's contacts. He gave me this. Supposed to be a powerful sword of sorts. I'm still on a short leash, I need to find that Kris or more of you could be put in danger. Still, that Order of the Serpent thing worries me. I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into. Either way, the contact hinted that there will be an additional reward if the Kris is found.

[OOC: DR didn't specify what kind of sword it is, so I'm just going to leave it at "sword" until DR says what kind it is. I sure hope its finessable.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy drains the last of his tankard, thumping it down carelessly to wobble on the table. Exasperation has crept into his voice, the air of tiredness almost overtaking his ire,

"Boy, I sure picked a good bunch ta run inta. I'd'a done better with the drow, no doubt." One gnarled hand rises to massage his forehead as he continues, "So, let's get this all straightened out and clear-llike. We got not one, but two, TWO! groups'a folk who want us ta fight the ancient evil mage, and whatever three or four death cults spring out'a the woodwork ta help out."

He glances at Aeroz,

"What's more, one'a them is threatening me if I don't, while both of them MIGHT pay me if I do, and I question their integrity given their attitude thus far. Great. Just Great."

13. - Top - End - #163

Aeroz

"Well my Half-Orc acquaintance, there is also the fact that there are people after me for the assasination of a Diplomat, and you are aiding an alleged criminal who has some very powerful people looking for him." Aeroz replies candidly to Lumpy's comment.

"There is also that if Sethra is still around, you may have an angry necromancer after you, considering your role in our little conflict with him."

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"Yeah, yeah. Don't think I ain't given all this thought. I understand all this better than ya think."

Passingly, almost without thought, the burly orc raises a hand to wave down a server for another ale, A sardonic smirk crosses his thick lips, scarcely visible beneath hair and fangs,

"Weren't fer it, I'd'a long since turned ya in fer the coin, but I got no doubts it ain't worth the effort. I'd bet more than a few coppers they'd just as soon throw me in with ya than pay up."

Letting his arm thump back onto the table heavily, he continues without giving pause to consider his words,

"Yeah, I'm stuck in this with the rest'a ya and it'll prolly kill me. Two-bit mercenaries like me ain't got any business messing with these sorta things." He shrugs helplessly, "But If I'm doing it, I'm gonna make fer sure someone ends up paying dear fer it."

15. - Top - End - #165

Aeroz

"Haha, you could turn me in, but the other person they are looking for shares your general description my friend. But enough of the idle threats, Callos, what can you tell me about this little gift of mine?"

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"I'm not sure what I'll be able to tell you without a spell to identify magical properties but I'll take a look at it."

With that the necromancer will take the sword from Aeroz and peer at it carefully. Practised eyes trying to pick out anything specific on any enchantments it might have.

((Don't even know what to roll for this.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

17. - Top - End - #167

Aeroz opens the long wooden box, revealing an elegant rapier, burnished to a mirror polish.

Callos examines it carefully, but can say little more than it definitely radiates a strong magical aura.

"Hmm? Did you say something?" he asks Aeroz.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy glances at the sword with practiced disinterest,

"Real shiny, at least. Bet I could hock it fer a fair lump'a gold."

Leaving it at that, he turns his attention back to getting himself another ale, counting out coins from his purse in preparation.

19. - Top - End - #169

Aeroz

"I said that Lumpy met the description of one of the original four who were after the kris. Don't know why you'd be wondering about that..."

Aeroz snatches the sword from Callos

"Maybe its magic makes you think that half-though out threats are significant? he says with a chuckle.

Curiosity getting the better of him, Aeroz pokes a nearby unocupied table or chair with it, hoping that maybe it might just be that you need to attack something with it in order to activate it.

[OOC: Campaign-blog is down for the moment, so I'm not sure if I have any ranks in Use magic Device. Maybe I could activate it blindly]

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

Elthan

Elthan relaxes in his chair, watching Aeroz blindly bat the sword. Jokingly," For the record, if the chair burst into flames because of that, we won't be paying for that."

"I think I'll likely call it a night. Not much to do other than digest food and words. Aeroz, if you really want, I could fund a look into your sword there tommorow, unless of course your fond of prodding it at random personage."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

21. - Top - End - #171

Aeroz accidentally nicks himself on the rapier's razor sharp edge. A small drop of blood forms on his finger tip.

Aeroz pokes experimentally at the furniture, but unfortunately (or fortunately) doesn't activate any obvious magical powers.

[hr]
    Over the next week or two, your party regains its strength, and everyone takes the opportunity to hone their fighting and arcane skills. There are many opportunities for training and practice in Telflamm.

Lissa seems distant, however. Her visits to the Owl and Flagon become increasingly less frequent. Hajih and Darius also check in only sporadically.

The rest of you wait to hear from the Rashemi hathran. There has been no word from her since she left for the Untherite Embassy.

[hr]
    Late one night, you find yourselves gathered about the fire sipping ale and wondering what fate has in store for you next. A light snow is falling outside, and almost everyone else has left for the night, leaving the entire tavern to you. Your long trek through the Underdark and shadow plane almost seem like a long ago dream.

With a crash, the door swings open, and a bearded Rashemi berserker stumbles into the inn. He is wearing rags and is bleeding from innumerable long scratches across his back. His eyes are wild as he collapses on the floor in front of you ...

OOC: Please let me know when you've finished levelling up your character.

22. - Top - End - #172

Aeroz

"Hmm, deja vu. I seem to recall doing this once before." Aeroz says jokingly as he gets up to help the "visitor". He tries to help him up.

"Hey, are you ok? I know you guys are a tough bunch, but you look pretty bad." Aeroz goes to his bag and tries to find a potion. If the man does not respond, he will try slapping him awake.

"Here, drink up. You know, the last time I tried doing this I ended up being accused for a murder."

Aeroz tries to get the berserker to consume the potion.

[OOC: Pretty Sure I finished levelling]

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih jumps to his feet, and reaches into his belt pouch.

Drawing out various bandages and salves, Hajih begins an attempt to seal up the berserker's wounds.

(Attempting to stabilize, Heal check: 5)
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

24. - Top - End - #174

Elthan

Elthan will pay 10 platinum for a single casting of Identify on Aeroz's sword as some point during the week.

------------------------------------------------------------

Elthan quickly jumps from his current seat and over to the fallen bezerker. He hastily pulls out a potion from his belt pouch and pours it into the bezerkers mouth.

(OOC: Potion of cure light wounds - 1d8+1; 6hp recovered)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*seeing the bezerker crash through*

"Ach balls, I was starting to enjoy relaxin for a spell..."

26. - Top - End - #176

Fizahn:

Fizahn sits calmly as the Rashemi stumbles into the inn. I could have guessed this was going to happen. While everyone else tends to the wounded berserker, Fizahn rushes up the inn's stairs. We're going to need to get out of here soon. He quickly rushes to their rooms and grabs everything people will need that he can carry. He hurries down the stairs to drop off everything, but quickly rushes back up to double check their rooms.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

27. - Top - End - #177

Before Elthan pays for that, can I have a go at Spellcrafting it?

Damn!

Achkby jumps to his feet and rushes to the Berserker's side, but once there, shifts from foot to foot uneasily, uncertain of what to do.

We must...! Damn. I have no idea what to do. I'm no use right now.

He steps away, and rushes to the window of the inn, jumping on a chair to better see over the sill. He looks all around, checking for anyone who might be following the Rashemian.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #178

Before the berserker enters ...

Thokk and Achkby take turns examining Aeroz's rapier, while Aeroz proudly holds it up for all to see, turning it in the firelight so that it catches the orange reflections.

Thokk instantly recognizes the rapier as dwarven handiwork. "Not the usual weapon forged for Moradin, but there's no mistakin' that craftsmanship!"

Achkby peers at the blade, seeing patterns in the steel not apparent to the naked eye. His eyes widen as he recognizes the markings' significance ... flaming burst!

"I wouldn't keep poking those chairs that way, Aeroz, otherwise Elthan's prediction might come true!"

[hr]
    After the berserker enters ...

The man has clearly been tortured. The wounds across his back are grievous, but Hajih's care and the healing potions seem to stabilize the berserker enough for him to speak, though his words demonstrate that his mind has been as damaged has his body - he speaks only in fragments, staring at nothing in particular.

"Tanar'ri bitch!"

"M'lady! No!"

"All dead! All dead!"

"Nooooooo!!!"

As his rage fades, he slips back into unconsciousness, breathing shallowly.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Two week's time was a long spate to stick around in one spot, in Lumpy's opinion. Sure, he'd done service that kept him tied down for longer than that in the past, but he'd been growing more and more restless as he aged. this was the longest he'd been in one city for months now, and the circumstances left a great deal to be desired, to say the least.

As if that weren't enough, he'd been spending entirely too much of it moping in front of a mug. It always seemed to work out that way- as much as he might wish it otherwise, death seemed to bring that out in him. It did strike him that this bout was something of an overraction. After all, what were the deaths of a handful of comrades to the loss of an entire army? But he knew the answer. He'd always known.

At any rate, it was decided, by one way or another. So he'd trained in his free time, hard as he'd ever done. Adjusting to a new weapon still required a good deal of fine tuning, after all.

------

Lumpy started slightly as the berzerk burst into the inn, letting his mug slip back onto the table with a frown. His reaction lacked the speed of the others', but not the clarity. As they tend to the barbarian, he slowly rises, making sure his weapons are as they should be before crossing the room to join them.

Stooping next to the man, he hrms, a grim look crossing his countenance,

"Yep. Someone worked him over pretty hard. Real good job'a it too, if I've ever seen one. Looks like we got our confirmation, I ween."

Expression hardening, he rises, crossing over to the tavern's doorway to peer out into the dark streets, letting the glittering gaze of his night-eyes play across the shadows,

"As experience serves, this sort'a thing never ends well fer me. I'd put a recommendation in fer playing things real cautious here on out."

30. - Top - End - #180

Elthan

"I'll say, Lumpy. Funny, this almost reminds me of that Beblith... I agree again, we should take caution. Let's take this guy up to a bed and see if he comes to his sences. Anything he should have to say may be helpfull, but I question that. Mybye we should do a little reconisis ourselves while we wait? Lumpy, grab his legs, Aeroz, help me with the arm. We'll drop him in my room."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.