New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Fizahn:

Fizahn pops back down the stairs and looks at the rest of the group. "I think that's a bad idea. Whatever got him sounds like a ruthless efficient killer. I think it will come for him. We need to get out of here now. We can nurse him back to health on the road. If something kills him while he's in the inn room, we'll never know what happened. We've been here for two weeks. They probably survived this long because Sethra was trying to determine who their contacts were. Whatever killed them... the tanar'ri... probably knows who we are and where we are. We need to get out now. We also need to decide quickly. Every second we delay could bring the killer closer to us." Fizahn shoulders his pack and heads to the nearest window to check outside.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 05:53 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby'd like to mae a Knowledge (Arcana) check to see if he knows of Ta'nari or whatever.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby strains his eyes, trying to see out into the darkness.

[OOC]If he can't see out, he'll cast Dancing Lights and scan the area of the spell for anything untoward.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #183

Elthan

"I think that might have been more of a curse than an actual descriptor. He's probally refering to Sethra. We won't know what's going on until he wakes up and tells us or we find out ourselves, so if we're pressed for time it may be best to investigate ourselves, though it's easy to tell whats happened. Sethra now has access to every spell he's dreamed of, any resource's required to do what he needs and an army of standing gaurds. It's easy to see how this poor guy happened."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

"I've got an idea, we take turns watching him for tonight, say...in Elthan’s room as he suggested. Tomorrow, we go out a secure some kind of transport for the Rashemi, such as a cart and head out as soon as possible."

He looks around the room nervously "How's that sound?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Callos

Tanar'ri...why does that word sound so very familiar to me? Hmm could it.....nah...maybe..no way. Your just being paranoid now Callos.

With a shudder and a shake of his head the middle aged man watched at the care for the beserker. Granted he felt more then a little edgy about restoring a ravening lunatic to health when he potenially might still be enraged seemed a little foolish but it seemed to be the only way to save his life. Nothing he could do about it anywy, he didn't know anything about healing and he had no potions to give the man. On the subject at keeping watch over him though Callos's manner became a little stern and disapproving, a frown setting in over his face.

"Now hold on a second! From what he just said it sounds like the masked woman has been....killed. She didn't seem like the sort to go down easy so what if what killed her comes after this guy? I think we're better off taking this man to a temple and putting him in their care, then in the morning go back to check on him. Something smells rotten here and its not this fella."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The taciturn orc shrugs at Callos' suggestion, still glancing out over the street,

"Think about that. If there's as much danger as yer alluding ta, how much better are ya navigating the streets at night than holing up in something vaguely defensible here? PLenty'a things what go bump in the night can see better in the dark than any'a ya, or even me, and those're the sorts'a thing'll be looking if anything. 'Sides, any tracker worth their salt follows a ttrail from start ta finish, and that'll lead them here some time or another and we might be up a creek anyway. I know I'd canvas the inn if I wass tracking that poor sod."

He turns away from the door, closing it up behind him. He regards his gather companions, shaking his head softly,

"No, no, I think we're best setting in here fer the night. Morning'll be more ta our favor, and his, He flicks his head towards the subdued barbarian, "We just need ta keep up our guard and keep up a watch is all."

7. - Top - End - #187

Achkby and Fizahn bar the door and shutter the windows, keeping them open just enough to peer outside for any signs of danger.

The snowfall has increased in intensity. Achkby watches as the berserker's bloody footprints in the snow are quickly erased. A small blessing, perhaps.

A swarm of dancing lights makes a quick sweep of the perimeter, revealing deserted streets covered in newfallen snow.

[hr]
    Aeroz seems almost reluctant to sheathe his magic rapier. The elf rogue unbuckles his cutlass and leaves it lying on a table in order to make room for his new weapon.

Then he and Elthan carry the berserker up to Elthan's room. Semi-conscious, the berserker mumbles deliriously ...

"Tanar'ri ... demon bitch ... unholy alliance ... must warn the Iron Lord ... must warn the Lodges ..."

[hr]
    Lumpy and Hajih, for once, are in agreement, and both prepare to fortify the inn against any intruders. The innkeeper, taking in the entire situation, looks grim but shrugs and pulls a brace of loaded heavy crossbows from under the bar, placing them within easy reach. His daughter boils some water and prepares a large pot of steaming hot coffee to prepare for a long night ...

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy surveys the common room thouroughly with a seasoned veteran's eye, taking in every bit of furniture with consideration for it's potential tactical value. He nods a few times, affirming a mental defensive layout while murmuring quietly, "Yeah, yeah.. That'll work nice. And that..." After a short spell, he looks up, beckoning to some of his stronger compatriots,

"Hey, some'a you c'mere, help me move some'a these tables and chairs. We wanna arrange everything ta muck up anyone coming through the door from getting a straight run inta the room. kinda like this.."

Gesturing rapidly, he describes a staggered series of barricades, if such a word could be used. more an obsticle than anything else, but every bit might count.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Facing towards the door, Hajih gestures to Lumpy.

"You take the left half of the room and I'll take the right half?"

"Aeroz 'er Thokk 'er someone, help me with the barricades on this side."

Gotta admit, that Lump...heh...of a Half-Orc, has good sense when it comes to planned violence
    Lords of Madness:

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy grunts agreement in response to Hajih, moving to array his heavy tables singlehandedly, orcish thews straining to apply themselves to a task they're designed so well for. He performs his manual labor silently, with little complaint save for the slightest grunts of exertation, taking the opportunity to think, his crude features waxing contemplative.

Damned humans are finally stepping down fom their pedastal. Figures they'd wait 'til we were all about to die to do it, too. Hells, guess I'll just have to keep everyone from dying then.

11. - Top - End - #191

Aeroz

"Just a thought, the last time something like this happened, the room was hit with a magical darkness. This just seems too similar to be a coincidence."

Aeroz helps Lumpy or Thokk with the moving of tables to form barricades.

[OOC: Aeroz would have put his old Rapier on the table, not the cutlass. Better damage on off hand is good.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Mumbling to himself as he helps the wounded bezerker*

"Demon bitch, well, that is a given with demon lords, they all do tend to be rather nasty folk, but the name before, Tanar'ri, I should know that, it bodes ill, who is the Iron Lord, is it possible.....?"

*Thokk shakes his head, clears his thoughts and helps prepare the inn*

"Ach ok, we gots to prepare, need barriaces set up, but also upturned tables behind to shield behind, Innkeeper, is there a basement here?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

He felt a small twinge of shame as he stood there and Lumpy and Hajih shuffled around the furniture to better fortify their room. A small one. Afterall he hadn't learned magic to perform physical labor after all. That didn't mean he wasn't going to help though. He just needed to figure out how to work it first. And then it hit him. Hurrying out of the door the necromancer hurried down to the innkeeper with a mischevious smile on his face...

((OOC: Sent what I'm doing to DR))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

14. - Top - End - #194

Elthan

"We should have someone gaurd the bezerker. Thokk or Lissa, I would like one of you to help gaurd him with me. It would be silliy if we barricade the door only to have them come through a window."

*Elthan will go to the bezerkers room and set up a single candle in a far corner. He uses his cloak and the shadows to conceal himself.*

(OOC: Going to set up an ambush. I'm taking 20 to hide for a total of 25. If Thokk is helping, he should try to stay in sight, near the candle of bezerker. If Thokk would rather be up front, Lissa should try to hide as well. Additionally I cast Mage armor on myself.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

15. - Top - End - #195

Hey all! First day of classes today. Iskandria is sweet! So much fun. Only one person has gotten drunk in my aartment so far, and we got the water running yesterday, so I got my first shower in 4 days about 24 hrs ago. Life is good, but better clean.

Achkby moves deliberately about the place, offering aid wherever it might be needed, and otherwise seeking out whoever is available for conversation. If he's free, Achkby will see if he can talk to Aeroz.

[OOC]I'm sort of out of the flow of things, but I'll try to find something interesting & useful for Achkby to do at some point soon.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #196

Thinking about it some more, Aeroz also leaves his old rapier on the table, next to the cutlass. He sits in a corner admiring his new weapon, his other swords already forgotten.

[hr]
    Elthan slips upstairs into the Rashemi's room, closing the door behind him. Callos leaves a note on the door, pinned by a dagger.

Down below, the rest of the party prepares to defend the inn. The innkeeper and his family retreat to the rear, getting out of your way. As he leaves the main room, he points out a trapdoor behind the bar to Thokk. The cellar lies down below, filled with barrels of wine and ale.

[hr]
    Long hours pass, and after a while, some of you begin to nod off. Lissa curls up in a corner, snoring lightly. Aeroz polishes the magic rapier, keeping its finish mirror bright.

Lumpy squints into the darkness, silent and brooding, and the snow continues to fall. It is nearly dawn when he spots some movement outside the inn.

A trio of gaunt men move slowly down the street towards the inn. They are dressed in long flowing cassocks and top hats, looking like magistrates or ministers of some kind. They seem to float an inch or two above the snow-covered streets, leaving no footprints.

Lumpy blinks and rubs his eyes, unsure if he might be dreaming ...

17. - Top - End - #197

Elthan

Elthan's masterful plan to gaurd the injured seems to be working. He's stuck in the corner of a dark, cold room, covered by a cloak watching an injured man sleep. His spear-point digs into the floor, having to be lower and covered so as not to attract a glare.

This is less exciting than anticipated. At least it will be morining soon...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Drooping eyelids threatened to whisk Lumpy off to sleep as he stared out through the cracked shutters. As the first shreds of morning light began to rake across the horizen, doubts bubbled to the surface of his mind,

Looks like a whole night wasted on a bad assumption. Just as like the necromancer was just working us up.. Toying with us..

Still, he'd pulled many a night watch in his day, and he'd stick this one out to completion. Pushing back his weariness beneath a stubborn facade, he resumed his scanning.

----

The approaching figures quickly snap the taciturn orc from any remaining hint of drowsiness. He squints, rubbing his eyes and checking again to be absolutely certain of what he's seeing. With a determined nod, he rises from his chair, slipping on his guantlets. In a practiced maneuver, he slaps an armored palm against the windowsill with a sharp BANG, barking out alarm,

"Up on yer feet, naptime's over! WE got something suspicious floating our way!"

19. - Top - End - #199

Fizahn:

"Of course they come now. They couldn't have come when we expected them." Fizahn complains bitterly to himself as he loads his crossbow. Moving swiftly, he takes cover behind a table and aims at the door. "Do we attack first or wait to hear them out?"
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 05:57 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, we wait them out here, ill take foward, other lads to the sides, there are more of us then them, perhaps we can flank em."

*Thokk gets into a defensive stance, and readies an action to charge should they attack*

21. - Top - End - #201

Startled awake by Lumpy, the others quickly move into position. Thokk stands in the center of the room, ready to charge the door. Lissa and Fizahn take cover behind an overturned table, crossbow loaded and ready.

Lumpy monitors the advance of the ghoulish men (if that's what they are). They float closer, the hems of their cassocks occasionally leaving a serpentine trail when they touch the pristine snow.

The three of them drift to a halt about just across from the inn, facing the doorway. Come out, come out, wherever you are ... one calls out mockingly.

[hr]
    Upstairs, Elthan starts when he hears the slam of Lumpy's hand on the windowsill. Cautiously, he moves over to the shuttered window and peeks down through a crack, looking down at the three figures below.

The berserker stirs restlessly in his sleep, beads of sweat breaking out across his brow.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

The necromancer groaned and sat up carefully stretching and grabbing his spellbook. Of course something had shown up in the middle of the night. At least they where prepared though. Hopefully. Normal creatures didn't float normally so he wasn't quite sure what these things could be. Well at least he could try to goad them since they already knew they were here.

"C'mon in spooks! The doors not locked and the innocents are gone!"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Arming himself with two throwing axes, newly bought, Hajih grins and gets ready to throw them if the strange floating men attack.
    Lords of Madness:

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"Not likely, pal. We're good and cozy where we are. Only way yer dealing with us is inside, so don't waste my time."

Growling one last curse through the shutter, Lumpy slams it shut, latching and barring it behind him. He moves back, positioning himself to the left of the door, shifting a few chairs around to give himself a bit of cover, but nothing so complete as to stop him from advancing.

Readying his arms, his flail lain upon a chair within easy reach and his dagger loosely held in his left hand, he speaks up, his voice low, soft but fiercely intense,

"Alright, we wanna keep 'em pinned down best we can, do plenty'a damage before they get far in. And keep yer wits about ya. Could be this is just a setup fer something else, knowing the players."

25. - Top - End - #205

I'm very sorry. I gto sick for a couple of days, and then we went to Cairo. WHich was done badly. Anyway, I should be around now. Supposedly you only gt sick once.

Achkby

Floating?
    Lumpy's word muddles through his brain, unenthusiastically seeking a meaning.
    They're floating?
    He opens his eyes and struggles to his feet, grasping for his spear.
    Finally, he voices his thopughts, rather groggily calling, "Floating?"

Why did I expect something normal? Perhaps because we're in a city? Perhaps because all we've seen for weeks are humans and the odd elf or gnome? It's true. We've had a tame week; why not a familiar opponent for once?

He maneuvers behind some cover, joining Lissa and Fizahn if he can.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy snorts with a helpless bit of a shrug,

"Looks that way. They got legs just fine, but they sure as daybreak ain't using them ta walk nowhere."

27. - Top - End - #207

Fizahn:

"I doubt there is any way we're going to be able to negotiate with them. They seem far too arrogant as if they want to kill something." Fizahn aims his crossbow at the door, waiting to fire as soon as they enter. I hope they can't fly. "I think we should have someone reinforce Elthan in case those devils can fly straight up to the room."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 05:57 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

28. - Top - End - #208

"Yeah," grunts Achkby an octave or so higher than Lumpy, "Someone should probably chck in back, too..."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, someone else, im buzy holdin the front"

30. - Top - End - #210

As the three men drift closer, one opens a sack and tosses a ragged bundle to the ground.

The roughly spherical object bounces once in the soft snow, then rolls to a stop. In the darkness, it takes you a moment to make out what it is. You recognize the braid first. No longer shiny, the blond hair is matted with black dried blood. Next, the eyes register - once ice blue and sparkling, now dull and opaque.

The three men tilt their heads back and laugh. They begin to ascend until they are at the level of the second floor of the building ...