New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Ian Is Right About Elan

Elan's just been putting on a show of Obfuscating Stupidity this whole time while he slowly moves himself to be in control of a gate, and setting it up so that it's the only gate left once he has it. He'll defeat the Order of the Stick and Xykon and the Linear Guild and achieve world domination, just as planned.

Okay. Probably not. But personally, I think it would be awesome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Ian Is Right About Elan

You posted a thread to posit a theory that even you don't believe in?
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Uhh... Is this supposed to be a joke thread or what? I don't even understand what the point here is. Like is this supposed to be funny or just plain ridiculous?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And? I thought it was an interesting possibility regardless of its small odds of being correct.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

That swerve would be pretty cool but about 100% too dark for OOTS.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I think people who bought Elan-themed merchandise would want their money back.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

How exactly would this be a good idea in any way?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Elan went and tipped his hand in this latest strip. He knew that the bluff potion only worked for things that aren't true. With this knowledge, he tried to capitalize on the momentary advantage presented by getting Haley to put aside Ian's suspicions, which are true. He is actually an evil genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Then you'd be George R. R. Martin, I guess, but with a slightly better update schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    It's rare that a thread reaches the proper conclusion in the second post. When it does, everyone else should stop posting on it.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

He didn't register as evil under Miko's detect evil, and while Undetectable Alignment is a bard spell, by RAW it would cause an No Reading. So he would be at worst chaotic neutral.

More likely, this goes along with Haley being Half-Celestial as one of those completely out there fan theories. Elan is nothing more or less than he appears to be - dim witted but pure of heart.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

It might be a good gag for him to go on an evil rant about how he fooled everyone when they reach the last gate, only to reveal that he was only kidding in the last panel.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    You posted a thread to posit a theory that even you don't believe in?
    Welcome to the internet.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't see how this thread is that out of place on these forums. I mean it is a theory that is completely far-fetched and makes absolutely no sense at all.

I thought it was funny >.>
    Groveling Priest of The Most Sacred Dot of comic #723

In memorium - Azure City and the Resistance. You will always have a place in my heart, especially the Elven special forces, in all your badass awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

They are just random numbers. There is no significance.

Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.
    HA!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Well of course! What would be a happier ending that ending up in control of the entire world?

Note that I don't believe it either but agree that it's a fun theory to pursue.

Obviously he helped Roy gather a group of adventurers in order to defeat Xykon - one of his main possible rivals - while worming his way into the good graces of a powerful arcane caster and a powerful divine caster (V and Durkon).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

When the oracle said the ending would be happy, he added "for you, at least".
    That strongly implies the ending will not be happy for someone else. And what better endding that would be happy for elan but not for someone else that Elan ruling the world?
    Elan has been preparing for this ever since his childhood. Everything he did was a fabrication. Even his tougths were a fabrication, because he knew the readers can read tougth balloons. It's all a big conspiracy, you know.
    The ultimate goal is to force the gods to not intervene when the aliens will conquer the world. And the government of the united states knows everything.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    That strongly implies the ending will not be happy for someone else.
    It won't be happy for Xykon, for starters.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That strongly implies the ending will not be happy for someone else.
    It won't be happy for Xykon, for starters.
    More likely it just means it won't be happy for the Oracle.

Cuz ya'know, I can see a ticked off Xykon killing and soul-binding him when he doesn't get the answer he wants.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Nice theory, but it falls down on the point that Elan is still the same lovable doofus we see the rest of the time even when he's demonstrably alone and with no-one but us, the readers, watching (e.g. when he's at Therkla's graveside). For that matter, why would he need to hide his true nature in all the scenes where he's alone with Tarquin?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Nice theory, but it falls down on the point that Elan is still the same lovable doofus we see the rest of the time even when he's demonstrably alone and with no-one but us, the readers, watching (e.g. when he's at Therkla's graveside). For that matter, why would he need to hide his true nature in all the scenes where he's alone with Tarquin?
    Well, duh! He is well aware of how often the 4th wall is broken and, fiendish mastermind that he is, plans accordingly. And you don't think he's really working for Tarquin do you? He's only out for himself. His cunning plan has already gotten Tarquin to agree to be overthrown by him! It doesn't get much better than that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by NENAD View Post
    And? I thought it was an interesting possibility regardless of its small odds of being correct.
    Impossible odds? Oh no!

20. - Top - End - #20

So THATS why he is trying to correct people to follow Banjo. Because if enough people worship him, his divine power will be high enough to cast the divine portion of the gate ritual for Elan.

Makes perfect sense.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Time to kill this thread in one fell swoop. Our forecast for this webcomic has clear skies and a 0% chance of Evil Elans in any form whatsoever.

Look guys, its beyond impossibility that Elan is an evil genius. Even if we could work out a motive, there isn't much reason to go to so much trouble to save Haley during the Story arc when Nale was impersonating him.

He even cried in his cell at Cliffport, when there was nobody around even paying attention. The Prison guards were *not* going to be moved to let him out of the cell and they would not remember the crocodile tears anyway, and Thog had too much ADD to notice. And nobody was useful enough to go to the effort of implanting in their minds any sob story. The only explanation is that Elan was not putting on a performance at all and was really overcome with fear for what Nale would do to Haley and Co.

Now this doesn't *entirely* invalidate that he is an evil schemer, he just really does love Haley and wants to make certain she survives to become his dark queen of the damned when he takes over the world. The trouble with that is that the concept is so completely twisted that to write it would alienate most the audience and probably WARP THE MIND OF THE AUTHOR HIMSELF. *Ahem*

After all, he also risked his life over the Flame-message slaves who were already dead. If pappy didn't want Elan to live so he could kill him in a more romantic way, that would have been the end of any schemes he had going. That Father-Son Pun battle is not what sinister puppetmasters do, its what Griffindors do.

Seriously, Elan just works better as a good guy who's actually really as derpy as he appears.
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Seem those are good points, but instead they retort against you. In fact, what is the chance that Elan is evil, given all those circumkstances? Extremely unlikely, you would say? IT's probably one in a million.
    Don't you see it? One in a million! Another evidence that this is true!

By the way, Thoughtbot360, what makes you believe that we are even remotely serious when suggesting those ridiculous "theories"?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Seem those are good points, but instead they retort against you. In fact, what is the chance that Elan is evil, given all those circumkstances? Extremely unlikely, you would say? IT's probably one in a million.
    Don't you see it? One in a million! Another evidence that this is true!

By the way, Thoughtbot360, what makes you believe that we are even remotely serious when suggesting those ridiculous "theories"?
    Thanks KoN, both your points are good ones :)

But ThoughtBot is also correct in pointing out that Elan really does love Haley. Which just gives him another reason for his ruse, he doesn't want to let her know the truth until after they're safely married.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

tongue Re: Ian Is Right About Elan

If some people are actually going to believe this, I'll never forgive you NENAD.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Of course if Elan is as Chaotic Evil as he seems then perhaps he feels that if he can't rule the world he wants to destroy it instead. That would explain why he went out of his way to destroy Dorukan's gate. Alternatively he just wants the last gate destroyed on his death thereby avoiding an eternity in the lower planes as punishment for his evil deeds.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

C'mon, threads like these are exactly what the internet is for. It's mental masturbation. "What if Elan is evil?" "What if Belkar isn't?" "What if V's prophecy hasn't come true yet?"

And like actual masturbation, it doesn't accomplish anything, and you don't have to look if it's not your thing.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

that would be twisted convoluted and stupid
    just like oots
    this would be awesome
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm just not seeing it. Elan's just to happy, goofy, and dumb for this to work. Besides, if that were true why would he have pun-duled Tarquin when there was nobody else around?

29. - Top - End - #29

In Tarot, Elan would be represented as the Fool. His extreme chaotic nature makes him as dangerous or powerless according with circunstances (aka the Plot).
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

The oracle implies that Elan is the only one who is assured a happy ending. This must be because Elan conquers the world using the Gates and crushes everyone else beneath his iron boot!
    Last edited by snikrept; 2011-02-11 at 08:52 PM.