New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Suel Arcanamach Handbook

I'm satisfied, Schneeky, with your use of monk as being among the highest uses of monk. I respect your work, though it is often... very bizarre. :)

Allow me to stretch my terrible skills.

Gentlemen, when we are hard to dispel, what ought we do?
    That is correct. We ought to persist our spells.

I give you.... contingent on the preparation and delivery of a drum-roll.

Mr. Tambourine
    Crusader 6/Suel Arcanamach 2/Spelldancer 2/Arcanamach 6
    Arcane Disciple(War)
    Sandals of the Vagabond

Go read spelldancer. I'll wait right here.
    We'll probably need to use one of the Apprentice feats to sneak into SArc, though we might be able to get away with just aerenial focus and some cross-classing. I considered using kensai+lend BAB+Schism+Level Drain Shuffle, but that's probably too far, right?

Right?
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-12 at 02:23 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Mr. Tambourine
    Crusader 6/Suel Arcanamach 2/Spelldancer 2/Arcanamach 6
    Arcane Disciple(War)
    Sandals of the Vagabond
    I'm not sure 8 levels of SArc are necessary. 3 will get the dispel resistance and the extended buffs (though if you persist everything…). Abjurant Champion would at least offer full BAB for 5 levels with full casting progression.
    We'll probably need to use one of the Apprentice feats to sneak into SArc, though we might be able to get away with just aerenial focus and some cross-classing.
    There was an Abyssal Heritor feat mentioned that gives you Spellcraft as a class skill. None of the printed mentors in DMG II have it, I seem to recall.
    Right?
    No such thing as overkill.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    No such thing as overkill.
    Only "Open fire," and "I need to reload."

I agree that it's probably too much Arcanamach, but my feelings on how much is enough are :: laughing :: known already. So I think five is a nice compromise, probably. Abj Champ seems like a good swap it.

::Edit::
    SArc is only medium BaB? Oh god. 4 levels then.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-12 at 02:35 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Craven is not mentioned because most of the classes the handbook is geared towards don't have sneak attack. Only Spellthief gets it. I also personally dislike the feat ('oh, look, I tremble in fear, so I hit harder') so I chose to avoid it.
    And... if you were in any way correct about what the feat actually does, you'd have a point. You don't hit harder because you're quaking in fear; Craven simply emphasizes that the character is a backstabbing coward. The bonus damage is in no way linked to whether or not the character is afraid at the time.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

What are people's thoughts on a DFI Bard entrance into Arcanamach? Maybe Bard 7/Arcanamach 3/Knight Phantom 10 and use your KP progression to further your Arcanamach casting? You'd have to do some shenanigans to get your martial weapons, but that's certainly doable. no you wouldn't, bards get longsword, rapier, sap, shortsword, and whip proficiencies for free! Plus you can pump your Perform (Dance) up a bit and get Slippers of Battledancing for Cha-to-damage.

Could you get away with something like Bard 8 (w/ Arcane Preparation feat)/Arcanamach 2/Ultimate Magus 10, for I have no idea what reason?
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-07-12 at 10:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Gentlemen, when we are hard to dispel, what ought we do?
    That is correct. We ought to persist our spells.
    Illumian persisting works a lot better for arcanamachs, since it nets you better BAB and better CL from martial arcanist. I'd only ever think of spelldancer for flavour reasons or if I don't have access to Complete Mage, since it is harder to qualify, has lower base attack and lower hit die.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    And... if you were in any way correct about what the feat actually does, you'd have a point. You don't hit harder because you're quaking in fear; Craven simply emphasizes that the character is a backstabbing coward. The bonus damage is in no way linked to whether or not the character is afraid at the time.
    You do realize cowards quake in fear, right?
    The fact that you are a coward is what makes me dislike the feat, and that's simply a matter of personal taste, I can't understand why so many people complain about this.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-07-12 at 12:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

The fact that you are a coward is what makes me dislike the feat, and that's simply a matter of personal taste, I can't understand why so many people complain about this.
    If your character's not cowardly, don't take the feat. But you're grossly oversimplifying your argument; a coward need not quake in fear all the time. The feat does not require that your character be actively afraid in order to take effect.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Problem with your first build, Fax, is it fails the BAB +6 req. Bard7 only has a +5 BAB. You'd need Bard8 at least to qualify straightclassed.

An alternative would be Bard4/Warblade3. If you took 1 more level of either after you finish Suel, it would be worthwhile to take Song of the White Raven to stack them to get the +2 base IC bonus at 8, and late game Warblade dips are always fun, especially since Warblade4 gets you a stance.

Something like:
    Bard4/Warblade3/Suel1/AbjChamp5/Spellsword1/Suel+3/Warblade1/X2

where X is any class you want, but problably more Warblade.

I generally dislike losing BAB before going into Suel though, because Suel casting is rather weak and delaying it, even 1 level, is...not so fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nothing in the mechanics part of it makes you a coward. You are just so focused on being able to strike that one little weak spot that you tend to be caught off-guard by sudden changes in the flow of combat or are particularly susceptible to mental intrusion.

We complain about it because it's a guide, not a collection of things you like and dislike or a place for you to rant about fluff.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Illumian persisting works a lot better for arcanamachs, since it nets you better BAB and better CL from martial arcanist. I'd only ever think of spelldancer for flavour reasons or if I don't have access to Complete Mage, since it is harder to qualify, has lower base attack and lower hit die.
    What? No no no, back up. What? Illumian persist requires a source of turn undead, only works twice a day, locks you into illumian, and only works twice a day.

Spelldancer, on the other hand, is probably one of the top five arcane PrCs in our extensive experience. With ocular spell abuse in conjunction with reserves of strength, stacked on top of free unlimited persists... I just don't think there's any contest.

Besides. You can just persist Divine Power. That's why we had arcane disciple(war).

So you are, I guess, unhappy with my work. Let me try again.

Mr. Tabla
    Human
    Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Sarc 4/Spelldancer 2/Abjurant Champion 5 + some junk? or Swiftblade 8?
    BAB 18 if you dip the various full-casting full BaB classes, so we'll skip arcane disciple. Any feats we need will be emulated using persisted heroics and persisted mirror move.
    Feats:
    1: Combat Casting
    Human: Mobility
    Fighter: Dodge
    Flaw: Extend Spell
    Flaw: Ocular Spell
    2 Fighter: ACF'd
    3: Endurance
    4: Power Attack Or Something
    6: Persist Spell
    6 Fighter: ACF'd
    9: Reserves of Strength
    12: Twin Spell
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-12 at 02:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Humble suggestion for an addition to this fine guide: A "Why Play an Arcanamach" section. I'm familiar with the class, I just feel minimal compulsion to play one. Why should I? Sell it to me.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Postmodernist View Post
    Humble suggestion for an addition to this fine guide: A "Why Play an Arcanamach" section. I'm familiar with the class, I just feel minimal compulsion to play one. Why should I? Sell it to me.
    I'd like to, too, quite a bit. I think that a brief mention of craven in the guide would also be good, regardless of our conflicting feelings regarding it. It suits a certain type of character lovely-well. And there's always Assassin's Stance.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-12 at 01:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Mr. Roctopus, I don't see any possible way you are qualifying for SA there. Fighter doesn't get enough skill points, nor the proper class skills to get into SA with 6 straight levels. Thats typically why most SA lead-ins have levels in Duskblade or Hexblade.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

It turns out that if you just don't give a darn, you can hammer your points straight into int. I was shocked, but apparently this gives you some skill points. Fighter's not remotely necessary, if I am honest. Just replace it with your preference.

Forgot to mention that we're buying Iron Will at the Otyugh Hole. Sorry.

As for the lead-in levels, again, it doesn't really matter to that build how you get in, so long as you grab two bonus feats.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-12 at 02:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Another fun thing to do is if you are a Goliath Arcanamach, you can take the Knockback feat (along with DungeoncrasherI easily). Suel casting gives you access to Whirling Blade, a 2nd level Transmutation, which counts in EVERY respect as a melee attack. Well, you just PA with your Whirling Blade to activate Knockback, and you can fling people across the room from across the room. Yay synergy!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd like to, too, quite a bit. I think that a brief mention of craven in the guide would also be good, regardless of our conflicting feelings regarding it. It suits a certain type of character lovely-well. And there's always Assassin's Stance.
    He does have it in there, he just spends 5 of the 7 lines it takes up talking about how you're a coward and that he'd never take it.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    He does have it in there, he just spends 5 of the 7 lines it takes up talking about how you're a coward and that he'd never take it.
    Well, you win some, you stab some in the kidney.

So, mostly, you win all of them. I'd rather have a coward on my team than a paladin.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-12 at 03:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I'm satisfied, Schneeky, with your use of monk as being among the highest uses of monk. I respect your work, though it is often... very bizarre. :)
    From you, this is high praise indeed. Besides, everyone needs a bit of the bizarre to shake up preconceptions of 'how it should be' every now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Postmodernist View Post
    Well, if you don't want to play one... you shouldn't play one.

20. - Top - End - #80

HalflingPirate

Well, if you don't want to play one... you shouldn't play one.
    Perhaps then, why would you play one? What is its niche?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Its a mid-powered PrC to help mostly melee-centric characters gain the little bit of magical oomph they need to compete in a mid-high level environment without the temptation to transcend your gishy roots once you gain 9th level spells and the ability to break reality into little bitty pieces and suck them dry of their life-giving substances!

Where-as most gish builds are just casters with a little extra martial prowass, a Suel Arcanamach is a martial character with magical talents to expand its otherwise limited options. Basically, the PsyWar of the magical world, except as a PrC.

Feel free to poach part or all of that.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Perhaps then, why would you play one? What is its niche?
    This is in the handbook. It's a light gish with extra skill points. If you like characters with lots of abilities, if you are into the Scarlet Brotherhood or the Suel Empire, if you'd like to try out 6 levels of full base attack classes before becoming a caster and getting 2nd level spells right off the bat, if you want to be a gish and don't want a few d4s here and there on your build, if you want to try a 1/2 casting PrC without gimping yourself... all good reasons to be an arcanamach.
    Of course, you can be a gish otherwise, I just feel arcanamach is an elegant way to do it. I just like the class, for me that's as much reason as I need.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

BTW, no mention of Dungeoncrasher Fighter sub levels in the ACF section of the prereq class section. You probably won't get Dungeoncrasher II, but 2d6+1.5x Str is still decent, and as I mentioned above, combos hillariously with your Suel Arcanamach Whirling Blade attacks.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    BTW, no mention of Dungeoncrasher Fighter sub levels in the ACF section of the prereq class section. You probably won't get Dungeoncrasher II, but 2d6+1.5x Str is still decent, and as I mentioned above, combos hillariously with your Suel Arcanamach Whirling Blade attacks.
    Hmm, I usually think about Dungeoncrasher II, so I must have overlooked it. Will add it, thanks.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The Suel Arcanamach Handbook

I've been working on a Suel Arcanamach spell list...so far, I've got PHB, Complete Mage, Dragon Magic, Player's Handbook II and Spell Compendium - please let me know if you can spot any mistakes or omissions:

[edit]Added a bunch more books[/edit]

Spoiler
    Show

1st level
    Accelerated Movement (SC)
    Alarm (PHB)
    Alibi (EoE)
    Animate Rope (PHB)
    Appraising Touch (SC)
    Armor Lock (CS)
    Arrow Mind (SC)
    Babau Slime (SC)
    Bestow Wound (HoH)
    Breath Flare (SC)
    Burning Rage (PHB II)
    Cheat (SC)
    Color Spray (PHB)
    Combat Readiness (DU)
    Comprehend Languages (PHB)
    Critical Strike (SC)
    Cutting Hand (SC)
    Dead End (SC)
    Deflect, Lesser (PHB II)
    Detect Dragonblood (DM)
    Detect Secret Doors (PHB)
    Detect Undead (PHB)
    Detect Weaponry (Cty)
    Discern Bloodline (RoD)
    Disguise Self (PHB)
    Dispel Ward (SC)
    Ebon Eyes (SC)
    Ectoplasmic Armor (SC)
    Endure Elements (PHB)
    Enlarge Person (PHB)
    Erase (PHB)
    Expeditious Retreat (PHB)
    Expeditious Retreat, Swift (SC)
    Eyes of the Avoral (BoED)
    Feather Fall (PHB)
    Fist of Stone (SC)
    Float (Fr)
    Friendly Face (RoD)
    Ghostly Reload (RotD)
    Golem Strike (SC)
    Guided Shot (SC)
    Hoard Gullet (DM)
    Hold Portal (PHB)
    Horrible Taste (SC)
    Identify (PHB)
    Insightful Feint (SC)
    Instant Diversion (RotD)
    Instant Locksmith (SC)
    Instant Search (SC)
    Ironguts (SC)
    Jump (PHB)
    Karmic Aura (CM)
    Locate City (RoD)
    Locate Water (Snd)
    Low-Light Vision (SC)
    Mage Burr (CS)
    Mage Hand, Greater (SC)
    Magic Aura (PHB)
    Magic Weapon (PHB)
    Master’s Touch (SC)
    Mighty Wallop (RotD)
    Nerveskitter (SC)
    Nightshield (SC)
    Path of Frost (DM)
    Peacebond (Cty)
    Portal Beacon (SC)
    Protection from (alignment) (PHB)
    Quickswim (Stm)
    Raging Flame (SC)
    Ray of Clumsiness (SC)
    Reduce Person (PHB)
    Remove Scent (SC)
    Resist Planar Alignment (SC)
    Scatterspray (SC)
    Scholar’s Touch (RoD)
    Secret Weapon (Cty)
    Serene Visage (SC)
    Shield (PHB)
    Shieldbearer (SC)
    Silent Image (PHB)
    Slide (SC)
    Slow Burn (SC)
    Sniper’s Shot (SC)
    Snowdrift (Fr)
    Snuff the Light (DU)
    Spell Flower (SC)
    Spider Form, Lesser (DU)
    Spontaneous Search (SC)
    Sunstroke (Snd)
    Targeting Ray (SC)
    Treacherous Weapon (EoE)
    True Casting (CM)
    True Strike (PHB)
    Ventriloquism (PHB)
    Vigilant Slumber (CM)
    Wave Blessing (Stm)
    Weapon Shift (SC)

2nd level
    Aiming at the Target (SC)
    Alarm, Greater (SC)
    Allied Footsteps (CM)
    Alter Self (PHB)
    Animalistic Power (PHB II)
    Arcane Lock (PHB)
    Arcane Turmoil (CM)
    Attentive Alarm (CM)
    Augment Familiar (SC)
    Balancing Lorecall (SC)
    Balor Nimbus (SC)
    Bear’s Endurance (PHB)
    Belker Claws (SC)
    Bladeweave (SC)
    Blinding Color Surge (PHB II)
    Blur (PHB)
    Body of the Sun (SC)
    Boiling Blood (CM)
    Bristle (SC)
    Brumal Stiffening (Fr)
    Bull’s Strength (PHB)
    Cat’s Grace (PHB)
    Catapult (CS)
    Celerity, Lesser (PHB II)
    Chain of Eyes (SC)
    Cloak Pool (SC)
    Crystalline Memories (CM)
    Daggerspell Stance (SC)
    Dark Way (SC)
    Darkvision (PHB)
    Deflect (PHB II)
    Delusions of Grandeur (SC)
    Detect Aberration (LoM)
    Detect Thoughts (PHB)
    Discern Shapechanger (SC)
    Discolor Pool (SC)
    Disguise Undead (SC)
    Dispelling Touch (PHB II)
    Dissonant Chant (SC)
    Distracting Ray (SC)
    Eagle’s Splendor (PHB)
    Earth Lock (SC)
    Earthbind (SC)
    Earthen Grasp (SC)
    Ectoplasmic Feedback (SC)
    Energize Potion (BoED)
    Energy Surge, Lesser (PHB II)
    Enlarge Weapon (CS)
    Extend Tentacles (SC)
    False Peacebond (Cty)
    Fearsome Grapple (SC)
    Fins to Feet (SC)
    Fly, Swift (SC)
    Fox’s Cunning (PHB)
    Frost Weapon (Fr)
    Fuse Arms (SC)
    Ghost Touch Armor (SC)
    Heart of Air (CM)
    Heroics (SC)
    Hurl (SC)
    Hypnotic Pattern (PHB)
    Icicle (Fr)
    Increase Virulence (PHB II)
    Infernal Wound (SC)
    Insight of Good Fortune (PHB II)
    Investiture of the Spined Devil (FC II)
    Invisibility (PHB)
    Ironthunder Horn (SC)
    Jaws of the Moray (Stm)
    Knock (PHB)
    Kuo-Toa Skin (Stm)
    Levitate (PHB)
    Lively Step (SC)
    Locate Object (PHB)
    Lucky Streak (CS)
    Magic Mouth (PHB)
    Magical Backlash (DU)
    Marked Object (SC)
    Master’s Touch (PHB II)
    Minor Image (PHB)
    Mirror Image (PHB)
    Misdirection (PHB)
    Mountain Stance (SC)
    Obscure Object (PHB)
    Owl’s Wisdom (PHB)
    Phantasmal Assailants (SC)
    Phantom Trap (PHB)
    Portal Alarm (SC)
    Protection from Arrows (PHB)
    Pyrotechnics (PHB)
    Quick Potion (SC)
    Razorfangs (SC)
    Reflective Disguise (SC)
    Repair Moderate Damage (SC)
    Resist Energy (PHB)
    Returning Weapon (RotW)
    Rope Trick (PHB)
    Scale Weakening (SC)
    Scintillating Scales (SC)
    See Invisibility (PHB)
    Shadow Double (DU)
    Shadow Mask (SC)
    Shadow Radiance (SC)
    Shadow Shroud (DU)
    Shadow Spray (SC)
    Share Talents (PHB II)
    Sink (Stm)
    Slide, Greater (SC)
    Snake’s Swiftness (SC)
    Sonic Weapon (SC)
    Soul of Anarchy (DM)
    Soul of Order (DM)
    Speak to Allies (SC)
    Spider Climb (PHB)
    Spymaster’s Coin (CS)
    Steal Size (RotD)
    Stone Bones (SC)
    Stormrunner’s Ward (Stm)
    Stretch Weapon (PHB II)
    Sure Strike (PHB II)
    Surefooted Stride (SC)
    Swim (SC)
    Swim (Stm)
    Tern’s Persistence (Stm)
    Turbidity (Stm)
    Urchin’s Spines (Stm)
    Vertigo (PHB II)
    Vision of Entropy (FC I)
    Wall of Gloom (SC)
    Whirling Blade (SC)
    Whispering Wind (PHB)
    Wings of Air (SC)
    Wraithstrike (SC)

3rd level
    Air Breathing (SC)
    Alter Fortune (PHB II)
    Amorphous Form (SC)
    Analyze Portal (SC)
    Animate Weapon (CM)
    Anticipate Teleportation (SC)
    Antidragon Aura (SC)
    Arcane Sight (PHB)
    Arms of Plenty (LoM)
    Avoid Planar Effects (SC)
    Bite of the Wererat (SC)
    Blink (PHB)
    Circle Dance (SC)
    Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (PHB)
    Claws of Darkness (SC)
    Cone of Dimness (SC)
    Control Temperature (Fr)
    Crown of Clarity (PHB II)
    Crown of Might (PHB II)
    Crown of Protection (PHB II)
    Curse of Arrow Attraction (PHB II)
    Deceptive Facade (CM)
    Deeper Darkvision (SC)
    Demon Dirge (SC)
    Detect Ship (Stm)
    Devil Blight (SC)
    Devil’s Eye (FC II)
    Diamondsteel (SC)
    Disobedience (CS)
    Dispel Magic (PHB)
    Displacement (PHB)
    Distilled Joy (BoED)
    Dolorous Blow (SC)
    Dragonskin (SC)
    Earthen Grace (SC)
    Energy Aegis (PHB II)
    Energy Surge (PHB II)
    Energy Vulnerability (PHB II)
    Eradicate Earth (SC)
    Evard’s Menacing Tentacles (PHB II)
    Explosive Runes (PHB)
    False Gravity (SC)
    Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (DM)
    Flame Arrow (PHB)
    Fly (PHB)
    Gaseous Form (PHB)
    Giant’s Wrath (SC)
    Girallon’s Blessing (SC)
    Glacial Globe of Invulnerability (Fr)
    Halt (PHB II)
    Hamatula Barbs (SC)
    Haste (PHB)
    Heart of Water (CM)
    Hood of the Cobra (CM)
    Illusory Script (PHB)
    Investiture of the Bearded Devil (FC II)
    Investiture of the Chain Devil (FC II)
    Invisibility Sphere (PHB)
    Karmic Backlash (CM)
    Keen Edge (PHB)
    Least Dragonshape (DM)
    Legion of Sentinels (PHB II)
    Magic Circle against (alignment) (PHB)
    Magic Weapon, Greater (PHB)
    Major Image (PHB)
    Mask of the Ideal (CM)
    Mighty Wallop, Greater (RotD)
    Nondetection (PHB)
    Pall of Twilight (CM)
    Phantasmal Injury (EoE)
    Phantasmal Strangler (CM)
    Phantom Guardians (RoD)
    Primal Form (SC)
    Protection from Dessication (Snd)
    Protection from Energy (PHB)
    Repair Serious Damage (SC)
    Repelling Shield (CM)
    Resist Taint (HoH)
    Reverse Arrows (SC)
    Rust Ray (SC)
    Secret Page (PHB)
    Sense of the Dragon (RotD)
    Shadow Binding (SC)
    Shadow Cache (SC)
    Shadow Phase (SC)
    Shape of the Hellspawned Stalker (CM)
    Shrink Item (PHB)
    Sign of Sealing (SC)
    Siphon (CS)
    Slow (PHB)
    Snake’s Swiftness, Mass (SC)
    Spectral Weapon (SC)
    Spell Vulnerability (SC)
    Spider Form (DU)
    Spiderskin (SC)
    Steeldance (SC)
    Stony Grasp (SC)
    Suspended Silence (SC)
    Telepathic Bond, Lesser (SC)
    Tenacious Dispelling (CM)
    Tongues (PHB)
    Tremorsense (SC)
    Undulant Innards (LoM)
    Unicorn Horn (CM)
    Unluck (SC)
    Vertigo Field (PHB II)
    Vision of the Omniscient Eye (DM)
    Walk the Mountain's Path (RoS)
    Wand Modulation (CS)
    Water Breathing (PHB)
    Water to Acid (Stm)
    Weapon of Energy (SC)
    Weapon of Impact (SC)
    Whispering Sand (Snd)
    Wingblast (DM)

4th level
    Aerial Alacrity (RotW)
    Alliance Undone (EoE)
    Arcane Eye (PHB)
    Aspect of the Icy Hunter (CM)
    Assay Spell Resistance (SC)
    Attune Form (SC)
    Backlash (SC)
    Baleful Blink (PHB II)
    Bite of the Werewolf (SC)
    Blinding Breath (SC)
    Call of Stone (PHB II)
    Celerity (PHB II)
    Condemnation (PHB II)
    Corporeal Instability (SC)
    Crown of Veils (PHB II)
    Darkvision, Mass (SC)
    Detect Scrying (PHB)
    Dimensional Anchor (PHB)
    Disguise Ship (Stm)
    Dispelling Screen (SC)
    Displacer Form (SC)
    Enduring Flight (RotW)
    Enlarge Person, Mass (PHB)
    Entangling Staff (SC)
    Fire Stride (SC)
    Fire Trap (PHB)
    Flame Whips (SC)
    Flight of the Dragon (SC)
    Forceward (SC)
    Friendly Fire (EoE)
    Fuse Sand (Snd)
    Glacial Ward (Fr)
    Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser (PHB)
    Hallucinatory Terrain (PHB)
    Heart of Earth (CM)
    Ice Shield (Fr)
    Illusory Wall (PHB)
    Investiture of the Amnizu (FC II)
    Investiture of the Erinyes (FC II)
    Investiture of the Harvester Devil (FC II)
    Investiture of the Steel Devil (FC II)
    Invisibility, Greater (PHB)
    Iron Bones (SC)
    Know Vulnerabilities (SC)
    Locate Creature (PHB)
    Mark of the Enlightened Soul (DM)
    Metal Melt (SC)
    Mirror Image, Greater (PHB II)
    Nightmare Terrain (CM)
    Otiluke's Suppressing Field (CM)
    Passage of the Shifting Sands (DM)
    Perfect Summons (BoED)
    Perinarch (SC)
    Phantasmal Killer (PHB)
    Phantom Battle (PHB II)
    Polymorph (PHB)
    Portal Alarm, Improved (SC)
    Rainbow Pattern (PHB)
    Raise from the Deep (SC)
    Ray Deflection (SC)
    Ray of Deanimation (SC)
    Rebirth of Iron (CM)
    Reduce Person, Mass (PHB)
    Remove Curse (PHB)
    Repair Critical Damage (SC)
    Resist Energy, Mass (SC)
    Resistance, Greater (SC)
    Ruin Delver’s Fortune (SC)
    Rusted Blade (CM)
    Sandform (Snd)
    Scramble Portal (SC)
    Scrying (PHB)
    Sensory Deprivation (SC)
    Shadow Conjuration (PHB)
    Shadow Well (SC)
    Sharptooth (SC)
    Slashing Dispel (PHB II)
    Spell Enhancer (SC)
    Stifle Spell (PHB II)
    Stone Shape (PHB)
    Stoneskin (PHB)
    Touch of the Blackened Soul (DM)
    Treasure Scent (SC)
    Trollshape (PHB II)
    Voice of the Dragon (SC)
    Wall of (alignment) (SC)
    Wings of Air, Greater (SC)

5th level
    Airy Water (Stm)
    Animal Growth (PHB)
    Anticold Sphere (SC)
    Antifire Sphere (Snd)
    Baleful Polymorph (PHB)
    Bite of the Wereboar (SC)
    Blink, Greater (SC)
    Break Enchantment (PHB)
    Breath Weapon Substitution (SC)
    Contact Other Plane (PHB)
    Contingent Energy Resistance (SC)
    Dance of Blades (PHB II)
    Dismissal (PHB)
    Dispel Water (Snd)
    Dispelling Breath (SC)
    Draconic Might (SC)
    Draconic Polymorph (SC)
    Dragonsight (SC)
    Dream (PHB)
    Duelward (SC)
    Earth Reaver (SC)
    Enlarge Person, Greater (SC)
    Ethereal Breath (SC)
    Etherealness, Swift (PHB II)
    Fabricate (PHB)
    False Vision (PHB)
    Fever Dream (CM)
    Field of Resistance (PHB II)
    Fiendform (SC)
    Flaying Tendrils (CM)
    Flesh to Ice (Fr)
    Flesh to Salt (Snd)
    Flowsight (Stm)
    Fly, Mass (SC)
    Form of the Desert Hunter (DM)
    Form of the Threefold Beast (CM)
    Gutsnake (SC)
    Heart of Fire (CM)
    Ice Shape (Fr)
    Ice to Flesh (Fr)
    Illusory Feast (SC)
    Indomitability (SC)
    Investiture of the Narzugon (FC II)
    Investiture of the Orthon (FC II)
    Ironguard, Lesser (SC)
    Lightning Leap (CM)
    Lord of the Sky (DM)
    Lucent Lance (SC)
    Mana Flux (PHB II)
    Mirage Arcana (PHB)
    Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum (PHB)
    Nightmare (PHB)
    Nightstalker’s Transformation (SC)
    Overland Flight (PHB)
    Passwall (PHB)
    Persistent Image (PHB)
    Phantasmal Injury (EoE)
    Planar Tolerance (SC)
    Prying Eyes (PHB)
    Reciprocal Gyre (SC)
    Reduce Person, Greater (SC)
    Refusal (SC)
    Retributive Image (CM)
    Seeming (PHB)
    Shadow Evocation (PHB)
    Shadow Form (SC)
    Shadow Guardians (RoD)
    Shadow Hand (SC)
    Shadowfade (SC)
    Spell Matrix, Lesser (SC)
    Spell Theft (CS)
    Spider Form, Greater (DU)
    Stunning Breath (SC)
    Surefooted Stride, Mass (SC)
    Symbol of Spell Loss (SC)
    Telekinesis (PHB)
    Telepathic Bond (PHB)
    Telepathy Block (BoED)
    Touch of Adamantine (BoED)
    Touch of Chaos (EoE)
    Transformation of the Deeps (Stm)
    Transmute Mud to Rock (PHB)
    Transmute Rock to Mud (PHB)
    Transmute Sand to Glass (Snd)
    Transmute Sand to Stone (Snd)
    Transmute Stone to Sand (Snd)
    Unearthly Heat (Snd)
    Unicorn Blood (CM)
    Vanishing Weapon (BoED)
    Vulnerability (SC)
    Wall of Dispel Magic (SC)
    Xorn Movement (SC)
    Zone of Peace (Cty)
    Zone of Respite (SC)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I've been working on a Suel Arcanamach spell list...so far, I've got PHB, Complete Mage, Dragon Magic, Player's Handbook II and Spell Compendium - please let me know if you can spot any mistakes or omissions:

Spoiler
    Show

1 st level
    Accelerated Movement (SC)
    Alarm (PHB)
    Animate Rope (PHB)
    Appraising Touch (SC)
    Arrow Mind (SC)
    Babau Slime (SC)
    Breath Flare (SC)
    Burning Rage (PHB II)
    Cheat (SC)
    Color Spray (PHB)
    Comprehend Languages (PHB)
    Critical Strike (SC)
    Cutting Hand (SC)
    Dead End (SC)
    Deflect, Lesser (PHB II)
    Detect Dragonblood (DM)
    Detect Secret Doors (PHB)
    Detect Undead (PHB)
    Disguise Self (PHB)
    Dispel Ward (SC)
    Ebon Eyes (SC)
    Ectoplasmic Armor (SC)
    Endure Elements (PHB)
    Enlarge Person (PHB)
    Erase (PHB)
    Expeditious Retreat (PHB)
    Expeditious Retreat, Swift (SC)
    Feather Fall (PHB)
    Fist of Stone (SC)
    Golem Strike (SC)
    Guided Shot (SC)
    Hoard Gullet (DM)
    Hold Portal (PHB)
    Horrible Taste (SC)
    Identify (PHB)
    Insightful Feint (SC)
    Instant Locksmith (SC)
    Instant Search (SC)
    Ironguts (SC)
    Jump (PHB)
    Karmic Aura (CM)
    Low-Light Vision (SC)
    Mage Hand, Greater (SC)
    Magic Aura (PHB)
    Magic Weapon (PHB)
    Master’s Touch (SC)
    Nerveskitter (SC)
    Nightshield (SC)
    Path of Frost (DM)
    Portal Beacon (SC)
    Protection from (alignment) (PHB)
    Raging Flame (SC)
    Ray of Clumsiness (SC)
    Reduce Person (PHB)
    Remove Scent (SC)
    Resist Planar Alignment (SC)
    Scatterspray (SC)
    Serene Visage (SC)
    Shield (PHB)
    Shieldbearer (SC)
    Silent Image (PHB)
    Slide (SC)
    Slow Burn (SC)
    Sniper’s Shot (SC)
    Spell Flower (SC)
    Spontaneous Search (SC)
    Targeting Ray (SC)
    True Casting (CM)
    True Strike (PHB)
    Ventriloquism (PHB)
    Vigilant Slumber (CM)
    Weapon Shift (SC)

2nd level
    Aiming at the Target (SC)
    Alarm, Greater (SC)
    Allied Footsteps (CM)
    Alter Self (PHB)
    Animalistic Power (PHB II)
    Arcane Lock (PHB)
    Arcane Turmoil (CM)
    Attentive Alarm (CM)
    Augment Familiar (SC)
    Balancing Lorecall (SC)
    Balor Nimbus (SC)
    Bear’s Endurance (PHB)
    Belker Claws (SC)
    Bladeweave (SC)
    Blinding Color Surge (PHB II)
    Blur (PHB)
    Body of the Sun (SC)
    Boiling Blood (CM)
    Bristle (SC)
    Bull’s Strength (PHB)
    Cat’s Grace (PHB)
    Celerity, Lesser (PHB II)
    Chain of Eyes (SC)
    Cloak Pool (SC)
    Crystalline Memories (CM)
    Daggerspell Stance (SC)
    Dark Way (SC)
    Darkvision (PHB)
    Deflect (PHB II)
    Delusions of Grandeur (SC)
    Detect Thoughts (PHB)
    Discern Shapechanger (SC)
    Discolor Pool (SC)
    Disguise Undead (SC)
    Dispelling Touch (PHB II)
    Dissonant Chant (SC)
    Distracting Ray (SC)
    Eagle’s Splendor (PHB)
    Earth Lock (SC)
    Earthbind (SC)
    Earthen Grasp (SC)
    Ectoplasmic Feedback (SC)
    Energy Surge, Lesser (PHB II)
    Extend Tentacles (SC)
    Fearsome Grapple (SC)
    Fins to Feet (SC)
    Fly, Swift (SC)
    Fox’s Cunning (PHB)
    Fuse Arms (SC)
    Ghost Touch Armor (SC)
    Heart of Air (CM)
    Heroics (SC)
    Hurl (SC)
    Hypnotic Pattern (PHB)
    Increase Virulence (PHB II)
    Infernal Wound (SC)
    Insight of Good Fortune (PHB II)
    Invisibility (PHB)
    Ironthunder Horn (SC)
    Knock (PHB)
    Levitate (PHB)
    Lively Step (SC)
    Locate Object (PHB)
    Magic Mouth (PHB)
    Marked Object (SC)
    Master’s Touch (PHB II)
    Minor Image (PHB)
    Mirror Image (PHB)
    Misdirection (PHB)
    Mountain Stance (SC)
    Obscure Object (PHB)
    Owl’s Wisdom (PHB)
    Phantasmal Assailants (SC)
    Phantom Trap (PHB)
    Portal Alarm (SC)
    Protection from Arrows (PHB)
    Pyrotechnics (PHB)
    Quick Potion (SC)
    Razorfangs (SC)
    Reflective Disguise (SC)
    Repair Moderate Damage (SC)
    Resist Energy (PHB)
    Rope Trick (PHB)
    Scale Weakening (SC)
    Scintillating Scales (SC)
    See Invisibility (PHB)
    Shadow Mask (SC)
    Shadow Radiance (SC)
    Shadow Spray (SC)
    Share Talents (PHB II)
    Slide, Greater (SC)
    Snake’s Swiftness (SC)
    Sonic Weapon (SC)
    Soul of Anarchy (DM)
    Soul of Order (DM)
    Speak to Allies (SC)
    Spider Climb (PHB)
    Stone Bones (SC)
    Stretch Weapon (PHB II)
    Sure Strike (PHB II)
    Surefooted Stride (SC)
    Swim (SC)
    Vertigo (PHB II)
    Wall of Gloom (SC)
    Whirling Blade (SC)
    Whispering Wind (PHB)
    Wings of Air (SC)
    Wraithstrike (SC)

3rd level
    Air Breathing (SC)
    Alter Fortune (PHB II)
    Amorphous Form (SC)
    Analyze Portal (SC)
    Animate Weapon (CM)
    Anticipate Teleportation (SC)
    Antidragon Aura (SC)
    Arcane Sight (PHB)
    Avoid Planar Effects (SC)
    Bite of the Wererat (SC)
    Blink (PHB)
    Circle Dance (SC)
    Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (PHB)
    Claws of Darkness (SC)
    Cone of Dimness (SC)
    Crown of Clarity (PHB II)
    Crown of Might (PHB II)
    Crown of Protection (PHB II)
    Curse of Arrow Attraction (PHB II)
    Deceptive Facade (CM)
    Deeper Darkvision (SC)
    Demon Dirge (SC)
    Devil Blight (SC)
    Diamondsteel (SC)
    Dispel Magic (PHB)
    Displacement (PHB)
    Dolorous Blow (SC)
    Dragonskin (SC)
    Earthen Grace (SC)
    Energy Aegis (PHB II)
    Energy Surge (PHB II)
    Energy Vulnerability (PHB II)
    Eradicate Earth (SC)
    Evard’s Menacing Tentacles (PHB II)
    Explosive Runes (PHB)
    False Gravity (SC)
    Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (DM)
    Flame Arrow (PHB)
    Fly (PHB)
    Gaseous Form (PHB)
    Giant’s Wrath (SC)
    Girallon’s Blessing (SC)
    Halt (PHB II)
    Hamatula Barbs (SC)
    Haste (PHB)
    Heart of Water (CM)
    Hood of the Cobra (CM)
    Illusory Script (PHB)
    Invisibility Sphere (PHB)
    Karmic Backlash (CM)
    Keen Edge (PHB)
    Least Dragonshape (DM)
    Legion of Sentinels (PHB II)
    Magic Circle against (alignment) (PHB)
    Magic Weapon, Greater (PHB)
    Major Image (PHB)
    Mask of the Ideal (CM)
    Nondetection (PHB)
    Pall of Twilight (CM)
    Phantasmal Strangler (CM)
    Primal Form (SC)
    Protection from Energy (PHB)
    Repair Serious Damage (SC)
    Repelling Shield (CM)
    Reverse Arrows (SC)
    Rust Ray (SC)
    Secret Page (PHB)
    Shadow Binding (SC)
    Shadow Cache (SC)
    Shadow Phase (SC)
    Shape of the Hellspawned Stalker (CM)
    Shrink Item (PHB)
    Sign of Sealing (SC)
    Slow (PHB)
    Snake’s Swiftness, Mass (SC)
    Spectral Weapon (SC)
    Spell Vulnerability (SC)
    Spiderskin (SC)
    Steeldance (SC)
    Stony Grasp (SC)
    Suspended Silence (SC)
    Telepathic Bond, Lesser (SC)
    Tenacious Dispelling (CM)
    Tongues (PHB)
    Tremorsense (SC)
    Unicorn Horn (CM)
    Unluck (SC)
    Vertigo Field (PHB II)
    Vision of the Omniscient Eye (DM)
    Water Breathing (PHB)
    Weapon of Energy (SC)
    Weapon of Impact (SC)
    Wingblast (DM)

4th level
    Arcane Eye (PHB)
    Aspect of the Icy Hunter (CM)
    Assay Spell Resistance (SC)
    Attune Form (SC)
    Backlash (SC)
    Baleful Blink (PHB II)
    Bite of the Werewolf (SC)
    Blinding Breath (SC)
    Call of Stone (PHB II)
    Celerity (PHB II)
    Condemnation (PHB II)
    Corporeal Instability (SC)
    Crown of Veils (PHB II)
    Darkvision, Mass (SC)
    Detect Scrying (PHB)
    Dimensional Anchor (PHB)
    Dispelling Screen (SC)
    Displacer Form (SC)
    Enlarge Person, Mass (PHB)
    Entangling Staff (SC)
    Fire Stride (SC)
    Fire Trap (PHB)
    Flame Whips (SC)
    Flight of the Dragon (SC)
    Forceward (SC)
    Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser (PHB)
    Hallucinatory Terrain (PHB)
    Heart of Earth (CM)
    Illusory Wall (PHB)
    Invisibility, Greater (PHB)
    Iron Bones (SC)
    Know Vulnerabilities (SC)
    Locate Creature (PHB)
    Mark of the Enlightened Soul (DM)
    Metal Melt (SC)
    Mirror Image, Greater (PHB II)
    Nightmare Terrain (CM)
    Otiluke's Suppressing Field (CM)
    Passage of the Shifting Sands (DM)
    Perinarch (SC)
    Phantasmal Killer (PHB)
    Phantom Battle (PHB II)
    Polymorph (PHB)
    Portal Alarm, Improved (SC)
    Rainbow Pattern (PHB)
    Raise from the Deep (SC)
    Ray Deflection (SC)
    Ray of Deanimation (SC)
    Rebirth of Iron (CM)
    Reduce Person, Mass (PHB)
    Remove Curse (PHB)
    Repair Critical Damage (SC)
    Resist Energy, Mass (SC)
    Resistance, Greater (SC)
    Ruin Delver’s Fortune (SC)
    Rusted Blade (CM)
    Scramble Portal (SC)
    Scrying (PHB)
    Sensory Deprivation (SC)
    Shadow Conjuration (PHB)
    Shadow Well (SC)
    Sharptooth (SC)
    Slashing Dispel (PHB II)
    Spell Enhancer (SC)
    Stifle Spell (PHB II)
    Stone Shape (PHB)
    Stoneskin (PHB)
    Touch of the Blackened Soul (DM)
    Treasure Scent (SC)
    Trollshape (PHB II)
    Voice of the Dragon (SC)
    Wall of (alignment) (SC)
    Wings of Air, Greater (SC)

5th level
    Animal Growth (PHB)
    Anticold Sphere (SC)
    Baleful Polymorph (PHB)
    Bite of the Wereboar (SC)
    Blink, Greater (SC)
    Break Enchantment (PHB)
    Breath Weapon Substitution (SC)
    Contact Other Plane (PHB)
    Contingent Energy Resistance (SC)
    Dance of Blades (PHB II)
    Dismissal (PHB)
    Dispelling Breath (SC)
    Draconic Might (SC)
    Draconic Polymorph (SC)
    Dragonsight (SC)
    Dream (PHB)
    Duelward (SC)
    Earth Reaver (SC)
    Enlarge Person, Greater (SC)
    Ethereal Breath (SC)
    Etherealness, Swift (PHB II)
    Fabricate (PHB)
    False Vision (PHB)
    Fever Dream (CM)
    Field of Resistance (PHB II)
    Fiendform (SC)
    Flaying Tendrils (CM)
    Fly, Mass (SC)
    Form of the Desert Hunter (DM)
    Form of the Threefold Beast (CM)
    Gutsnake (SC)
    Heart of Fire (CM)
    Illusory Feast (SC)
    Indomitability (SC)
    Ironguard, Lesser (SC)
    Lightning Leap (CM)
    Lord of the Sky (DM)
    Lucent Lance (SC)
    Mana Flux (PHB II)
    Mirage Arcana (PHB)
    Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum (PHB)
    Nightmare (PHB)
    Nightstalker’s Transformation (SC)
    Overland Flight (PHB)
    Passwall (PHB)
    Persistent Image (PHB)
    Planar Tolerance (SC)
    Prying Eyes (PHB)
    Reciprocal Gyre (SC)
    Reduce Person, Greater (SC)
    Refusal (SC)
    Retributive Image (CM)
    Seeming (PHB)
    Shadow Evocation (PHB)
    Shadow Form (SC)
    Shadow Hand (SC)
    Shadowfade (SC)
    Spell Matrix, Lesser (SC)
    Stunning Breath (SC)
    Surefooted Stride, Mass (SC)
    Symbol of Spell Loss (SC)
    Telekinesis (PHB)
    Telepathic Bond (PHB)
    Transmute Mud to Rock (PHB)
    Transmute Rock to Mud (PHB)
    Unicorn Blood (CM)
    Vulnerability (SC)
    Wall of Dispel Magic (SC)
    Xorn Movement (SC)
    Zone of Respite (SC)
    Thurbane, that's totally awesome. Can I hug you? ^^

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I still think spelldancer is wildly stronger than the illumian persist trick, which still requires a source of turn undead. I'm willing to step into the arena to prove it, if you'd like.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

So, I still think spelldancer is wildly stronger than the illumian persist trick, which still requires a source of turn undead. I'm willing to step into the arena to prove it, if you'd like.
    Arena proves nothing, D&D is not PvP battle.
    I never said Spelldancer wasn't a strong PrC. It is. It is also one with heavy requirements, setting specific, with fluff competly different from arcanamach and relies on a questionable mechanic for persisting.
    Using Spelldancer does not seem pratical to me. You have to ask your DM to allow something from a different setting to start with (Suel Arcanamach is from Greyhawk) and use a class feature in a specific way to circumvent it's only drawback. I would never allow this in my game. I don't think it's optimization, it's munchkning.
    I prefer to make my statements and guides based on practical optimization. As such, I think illumian persisting is a lot more viable.

29. - Top - End - #89

HalflingPirate

(Suel Arcanamach is from Greyhawk)
    Nitpick: The Suel Empire may (or may not) have existed in Greyhawk, but SA's appearance in Complete Arcane makes him non-setting specific.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Arena proves nothing, D&D is not PvP battle.
    I never said Spelldancer wasn't a strong PrC. It is. It is also one with heavy requirements, setting specific, with fluff competly different from arcanamach and relies on a questionable mechanic for persisting.
    Using Spelldancer does not seem pratical to me. You have to ask your DM to allow something from a different setting to start with (Suel Arcanamach is from Greyhawk) and use a class feature in a specific way to circumvent it's only drawback. I would never allow this in my game. I don't think it's optimization, it's munchkning.
    I prefer to make my statements and guides based on practical optimization. As such, I think illumian persisting is a lot more viable.
    I don't think that immunity to exhaustion is a questionable mechanic. Suel Arcanamach is setting-independent now, thanks to its appearance in CompArc. And I'm just not sure how the fluff is so different. Both are ancient techniques that fuse two disparate traditions to produce a powerful array of martial powers. It's your guide, I suppose, but it sounds more like you're writing a love letter to your playstyle instead of building a guide.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-07-13 at 02:59 PM.