New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the White

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Into the White

The morning mist hangs heavily over the small port of Tay, and the first fingers of light are only now creeping over the horizon, but most of the town's residents are awake already, loading cargo onto the two ships leaving today. Despite the large amount of traffic that flows through the town, Tay seems almost constrained by the forest around it, holding only the necessary population to handle the ships and their crews, and lacking the excess infrastructure that tends to spring up around such well-suited harbours. Wildgeist, having arrived nearly a week ago on an inbound ship, will have noticed that anyone heading overland on the forest road usually travels in sizeable groups, and those that don't tend to be well-armed.

Two of the latter arrived two days past and yesterday, as Henri and Ameretat made their way to the most common crossing to the north. Lodging is not difficult to find in Tay, and you've all managed to find out that the smaller of the two ships is heading north to Seurd this morning. All that remains is to secure passage. The captain, an old man with an impressive grey beard that reaches halfway down his chest, is overseeing the loading of the cargo, but from what you can see in the mist, there are already a couple figures on board that don't look like sailors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Collected sheets, to make things easier.
    Ameretat
    Henri
    Wildgeist
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-14 at 10:45 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Into the White

Henri is above deck, speaking with the first mate. "If possible, I would like a cabin with a window. The last time I saw the ocean I was...too young to appreciate it."

The young traveler is dressed in a clean but simple manner, and has an uneven and somewhat scraggly beard from infrequent attention to such matters. His is rather light-skinned for a half-orc, with a pale greenish tone that is not readily apparent from a distance. His lips stretch taut against his large teeth as he gives the first mate a smile that seems almost genuine, and slips him a silver coin. Then he goes back to leaning on the railing, gazing at the blue waters as they lap gently against the ship's side.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The first mate, a female halfling with short brown hair that sticks out in all directions, practically giggles as she flips the coin back to you. "No cabins for the passengers on this ship, mate. But since you'll be on the open deck," she adds, waves a hand at the mist, "you'll have no difficulty sightseeing. Long as you don't mind the colour grey."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #4

Henri bumbles the coin's return and almost drops it overboard before managing to hold onto it. He grins sheepishly. "Well, that's not so bad. I'm fairly used to sleeping with other people around, at least."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

A young agile female halfling approaches swiftly to whom seems to be the boss of the ship. Using her charismatic abilities that she learned at negotiating in the marketplace, she sweetly asks the man... "Are you the leader of this ship heading Seurd? I can tell that by the looks of you. Authority, no doubt there... So, mister, which is the requirment to board to your fine ship and travel Seurd?" And she awaits for a response in a masculine pose, yet attractive for a girl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The captain turns to look down at you, raising an eyebrow. "Another kid headed north, eh? Well, I mostly ship cargo, not people, so I'll only take five silver from you for the passage, same as the other lad. Won't lighten your purse too much for when you get tired of runnin' off t'nowhere and have to come back." Briefly shaking his head, he gestures to the ship. "Go on up, Art'll handle your coin. Art! Another passenger for you to deal with! Don't go pocketing her silver, aye?"

"Nothing to worry about, captain!" The halfling hops up on the rail, raising a hand briefly in acknowledgement. Lowering her voice, she turns to Henri, finally at eye height. "So, uh, you were supposed to pay me, then? And here I was thinking that coin was intended to elicit preferential treatment." Art gives you a wry grin, balancing on one leg in seeming defiance of the ship's motion.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-12 at 01:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #7

Henri hands the silver pieces to Art. "Here you are. I would try to bargain over the price, but I've never had a taste for that sort of thing. I just hope that includes rope to tie myself down with if a storm arises." He then steps back so that Art can go deal with the new passenger.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat looks within one of her many clothing compartments and draws 5 silver pieces. "Here you are my friend. It's good to see another of your kind around these places. So, where shall I acomodate myself once travel begins?"
    Last edited by Scorer; 2010-07-12 at 11:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Wildgeist approaches a man who seems to be the captian of the ship and has just finished talking a litlle halfling girl that walks up the ship's deck. "Good morning good man. I supose you're the captian of this ship and it has come to my ears that you're up to sailing north briefly, so I would very much like to travel in your ship. Could you tell me how much do you ask and how much time will it take us to arrive Seurd?"
    Awesome and unique avatar by QWERNT!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

"That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"

"You did. Ten years from now."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Art jumps down to the deck to greet Ameretat, dropping the coins into a small pouch. "Anywhere you like on the deck, really, so long as you don't get in the way. Shouldn't be much worry of that on this crossing."

The captain glances at Wildgeist. "Cor, another one? I s'pose it is that time of year. Deck's going to be a bit crowded, but we'll be off soon. Five silver for the crossing - you can give it to Art, up there. Weather permitting, we'll be in Seurd afore the morrow dawns." The captain returns his attention to his records, then after a few minutes, follows you on board.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #11

His few belongings secured, Henri allows his curiosity to overcome his shyness with strangers, and he approaches the other half-orc who has just arrived. He speaks to him in Orcish:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hello. I am unused to this tongue using, I did not know many who it spoke. What area do you come to....errr...go to?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

As Wildgeist came over the ship's deck and paid Art the voyage fee, he heard an unknown voice speaking to him in a familiar tongue. This unexpected event made him feel happy, although a bit cautious.

Speaking in Orcish:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hello blood brother!!! Your Orcish isn't that bad... Just a little disused. I really don´t have a ultimate destination but I'm interested in getting to Seurd since I've heard some rumors of mystery and adventure for all those who dare to venture further to the north. What path lies for me after we dock is a secret even for me. But tell me, blood brother, what is your motivation to travel this far to the north? By the way, what is your name?
    Last edited by Wildgeist; 2010-07-13 at 01:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat just sits down quietly in a confortable place and tries to analize everyone on the ship. It is always a good idea to prevent thievery by striking first.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

14. - Top - End - #14

Henri switches back to Common, wanting to make sure none of his comments are lost in the translation. "I may have...family in the Seurd area. But beyond that, I simply wished to travel to a new area. I might as well look at something different as I wander."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The ship slowly creaks out of the harbour, and the sounds of Tay are soon lost in the mist. Aside from yourselves and the ship's crew, there appear to be a few other passengers. A small group of gnomes is huddled at the bow, tossing frequent glares at a well-armed, white-winged kobold leaning against the rail near the middle of the ship. For his part, he appears to be unmindful of the chill in the air or the group, occasionally offering a toothy grin in return.

Once the ship is clear of the harbour and on course, the captain disappears into the rear cabin, and Art wanders around the deck, offering each of the passengers a sip from a flask that, if accepted, turns out to contain cherry brandy. She ends her course next to Ameretat, sitting down and offering her the flask. "Heh, I was about to say it's been a while since I've seen someone my own size heading north, but there've been too many gnomes to count. Still, all they ever talk about is that dead kingdom of theirs. You're from a little further south, I'd guess? What brings you up here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat receives the flask and smells it first to be certain it contains no poison. She used to see a lot of this practices back at the marketplace. Once sure, she drinks a bit. "Dead Kingdom? Never heard of it before. I did not used to travel before. I lived in a marketplace, south from here. I never saw much halflings like us. What happened to the gnome kingdom anyway?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Art takes the flask back, taking another sip before replying. "Hm, so you would have come through Jarral's lands, right? Between the forest and the strait, kobolds all around? Few months back, that was a gnomish kingdom. Jarral's army's what happened to it, that and some rather clever manipulation if the rumours are true. I grew up near the strait, and we always had gnomish merchants passing by - seems a bit odd that Twosides'd just ignore a bunch of kobolds coming in and wiping out one of their best trade partners."

She shrugs, passing the flask back to Ameretat. "Still, it's not been bad for business, in the end. The kobolds trade most of the same goods that the gnomes did. You from Twosides yourself, or somewhere else around the area?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #18

His ears perking up at the mention of his former home city, Henri excuses himself from the other half-orc and walks over to the two halflings. "Wait, so that was real? I had heard some rumors of an attack while I was on the road, but couldn't believe Twosides would have left it happen. I know that a halfling had been speaking out against them, but no one I knew took him seriously."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat drinks again and passes the flask. "I'm quite unaware of the world happenings, I see..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, who knows? Sailors learn not to take rumours too seriously, even when they come from the top. Especially when they come from the top." She nods toward the kobold with this last statement.

"Some people'll believe anything, and the higher-ups all have their own version they want you to believe. But that Jarral invaded and took the kingdom, and that the Council ignored him, yep, that much is true." Art accepts the flask, taking a long pull before offering it to Henri again. "Mm, well made. We need to visit Tai Go more often."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-13 at 01:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #21

Henri politely declines. "I don't mean to offend, but I prefer not to drink alcohol. I try to keep my mind sharp at all times. Besides, I'm afraid it might bring out some of the less-desirable traits of my orcish nature."

He then thinks on what Art has just said.

The gnome kingdom gone...when was the last time such a large institution fell? From what I remember of my history, when such a big change comes about, others tend to follow. I wonder if there's any such upheaval on the northern continent.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat turns her attention to the big Half-Orc and with a bit of friendly challenge she says "A non drinking Half Orc? With all that body of yours you can't take even one little bit? That's certainly quite a view. I guess father was right, outside in the world many suprises await. Much of them may not as well be pleasing... What's your name big guy? I'm Ameretat" As she offers the hand to greet.
    Last edited by Scorer; 2010-07-13 at 02:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

23. - Top - End - #23

Henri carefully shakes the halfling's small hand, trying not to hurt her. Henri. And it's easier to say no entirely than attempt to stop after just a bit; willpower's always tougher to exercise in half measures. But good to meet you all the same, Ameretat.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Art takes another sip, then casts the flask a mournful glance. "Empty already. It'll be weeks before we head back south..."

Another voice calls down from above, the speaker lost from view amidst mist and canvas. "'Twouldn't run out so fast if ye weren't drinking on duty, Artemis."

"We've an easy crossing and no weather in sight, what more do you want?" With a sigh, Art rises to her feet. "Still, he's got a point. I ought to make sure everything's going well. Make the best of the day, aye?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #25

Henri says goodbye to the first mate, and turns back to Ameretat. So what has led you to travel on this ship? I know the jovial half-orc over there is seeking adventure, and I am mostly just looking for a different climate in which to roam. What is it you seek?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

While his "blood brother" left Wildgeist waiting to know his name while he was inevitably lured by his curiosity, he remained at a close distance of the speakers so he could hear what they talked about. In the momment the half-orc mentioned him, Wildgeist waved his hand and gave a little grin to the female halfling as she stared at him and approached so he could chat a bit with the small passenger and continue his conversation with Henri.

Wildgeist says joyfully in Orcish:

Spoiler
    Show

Well brother, at least I came to know your name after all, although not by my question being answered....

Then Wildgeist laughed loudly and continued speaking in common:

Hi there little partner! I think I heard Ameretat is your name. I'm Wildgeist, son of Teufelwucht. Nice to meet you!
    Last edited by Wildgeist; 2010-07-14 at 12:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

27. - Top - End - #27

My apologies, blood brother Wildgeist. I just had to be sure I heard them correctly. Twosides never seemed incredibly concerned about the gnomes' welfare, but to let someone come in and wipe them out...it's so harsh.

Henri looks at both of the other passengers.

Well, if we are any indication, Seurd must be dangerous. Between the three of us, we have a small milita's worth of weapons.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps you're right Henri... Seurd may come to be more hazardous than I expected... Maybe we should stick arround together for a while. What do you think guys?
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat smiles at the big guy. "Well, this seems to be the ship of Halfs" after which Ameretat laughs out loudly. "Well, I'm looking for some knowledge, you know, the kind you can only get by travelling. If things are indeed that ugly, teaming up seems like a nice choice. After all I'm not looking for something very especific."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

30. - Top - End - #30

Henri feels hesitant at first, and has a faraway expression on his face. Well, I cannot promise how far I will go with you; I'm not much of a joiner. But I suppose it will be easier to rest on the road with someone watching my back.