New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Into the White

1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Into the White

As soon as Reg hits the snow, Henri moves over to Wildgeist and uses some of his remaining magical power to stem the flow of blood from his injuries.

Hopefully this will hold you over until I can muster something stronger, Wild.

Spoiler
    Show
    Losing one of my level 0 spells to cast Cure Minor, 2 of those left for the day as well as my level 1 domain spell.

That done, he looks to Ameretat and Olain. I guess we'll need to pack him onto the wagon until he's recuperated some. After that, however, we need to discuss what to do with these two. Although it's a touch ghoulish, my suggestion is that we not allow them to survive. They don't strike me as the type to forgive and forget, and we don't need them dogging us later on in the trip, or on the return journey.

While they discuss this, Henri also uses the same simple spell to bind some of Ameretat's more serious wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot she was at 0. So now just 1 level 0 spell and the 1 domain spell left today.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, you won't hear any objections from me." Olain collects his hammers, ignoring the two downed elves, and rearranges the goods to make space for Wildgeist. "They seemed the desperate type; their death will likely do everyone a favour."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #393

Henri hoists up his unconscious comrade and gingerly places him on the wagon. Then he goes to the fallen bodies. May you find the peace in death that you could not in life. He then uses a well-placed punch to the temple to dispatch both of them.

Ameretat, if you're up for it, mind coming over here and helping me sort through their belongings? Anything they owned is of no value to them now, but that is not true for us.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I think I can handle it...

Ameretat loots...
    Last edited by Scorer; 2011-02-18 at 12:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

The fallen elves' armour is so tattered that it offers little protection, but their bows are in good condition. You do come across a few strips of dried venison, but no coin, and the only find of significance is Shan's strange glove, the forefinger of which features a rough pad somewhat resembling sandpaper, and her arrows, coated in a pitch-like substance that is clearly quite flammable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be sure... I'm still unconcious right???
    Awesome and unique avatar by QWERNT!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

"That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"

"You did. Ten years from now."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aye, looks that way. You'll have a 10% chance of waking up each hour unless someone heals you further.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #398

Henri looks over the newfound bows with disdain. Never could figure those things out. Wild should take one once he's up, and I guess the other might be good for Ameretat.

Their findings secured and Wild packed in, Henri prepares to resume the journey.

So Olain, feeling good about employing us yet?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

"Hah, indeed," Olain replies darkly. "Never seen bandits like these before. They had the look of soldiers, but I don't see any identifying marks. I hope they haven't got anything to do with the fur shortage - more like these ones would be trouble."

Olain finds you a mostly-sheltered depression to spend the night in, and the next day dawns freezing and utterly still, a thin coating of ice on everything in sight. Wildgeist still hasn't awoken, lying still and cold in the covered bed of the wagon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #400

Henri stretches, muscles stiff with fatigue from the previous battle and lifting an unconscious half-orc. I hope today is a good deal less exciting than yesterday. Now let's see about getting everyone hale and hearty.

Henri invokes his deity once more to grant soothing rejuvenation to his comrades.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+1)[2] for Wildgeist.
    Low roll. We'll do 2 Cure Minor for Wild as well.

By the by, did we get any experience?

11. - Top - End - #401

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm, good, you're up," says Olain as Wildgeist awakes, the energy knitting his flesh into something vaguely resembling someone without holes in them. "Not going to be lying there all day, I hope." There is a hint of levity in his tone as he brushes gathered ice off the caribou's harness, the leather crackling as it bends.

"Barring any further interruptions, we should reach the southernmost trading post some time today. If there's anything else you want to know about the tribes, now's the time to ask."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

"Not quite sure what to ask... Why not give us an overview of such tribes?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

Yes... An overview wont be bad...
    Says Wildgeist while he slowly comes to himself, eats some rations from his pack and inspects the newly gathered bows.

Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of bows are exactly??? Did they got the "Fire Gauntlet"??? And did we got any XP from the battle???
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

15. - Top - End - #405

Henri languidly gazes around the terrain, seeking out signs that the barbarian encampment might be drawing near. I'll listen, though all I really need to know is that they aren't going to try to put any more holes in my comrades or myself than we already have. As long as that's the case, I'm good.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, let's see, what can I tell you..." Olain falls silent for a short while, ordering his thoughts. "They're quite honourable people, the tribes. As might be expected for a culture with no written script, they take words very seriously. Disagreements are often resolved by means of formal duels; that's why I'd picked up that pair of dueling blades the delver bought, they'd have sold well. It also means you ought to be careful about saying things you don't mean."

"They keep to themselves, for the most part; most of the coast-dwellers know little about them, and even those of us that deal with them regularly don't find out much more. Still, they're always willing to trade for things they can't easily produce up here, and they've got plenty of their own to offer, so there are a few little trading posts scattered around the edges of their territories, where merchants congregate."

As you crest a rise early that afternoon, you can see a low stone wall, perhaps three feet high, surrounding the area near a small cave in the valley ahead. The enclosure is empty of any apparent presence; it contains no permanent structures aside from the cave itself. Olain looks rather concerned as he surveys the area, muttering a few things under his breath.

"No one at all? Our timing's about right; it shouldn't be this empty, even if it has been harder to find traders lately."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eep. Sorry about the delay, there; been suffering from a dearth of inspiration for this game, and it kinda slipped behind. Think I've got some ideas, now, so we'll see what happens.

Edit: Oh right, your questions. They're longbows, you did get the spark glove, I'm not using exp in this game, and you only need one question mark per sentence.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-03-03 at 11:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #407

Then let's proceed with caution. Wild, Amy, you may want to have your new bows at the ready. I'll go first, since my injuries from yesterday were far less severe.

Spoiler
    Show
    No XP...interesting. But I guess it doesn't really matter; DMs control when players level up anyhow, so XP is kinda irrelevant when you think about it.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll keep my crossbow for now, thanks. Let's proceed then."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

There we go.... Says Wildgeist feeling still awful from the injuries and barely being standing without fainting. Then he changes his ranged weapon.

@DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the question marks... It's a bad habit I should eliminate.
    Last edited by Wildgeist; 2011-03-04 at 06:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

As you approach the enclosure, it seems clear that no one has been here recently; the snow is old and hard, yet there are no tracks anywhere. Olain stops the wagons just inside the wall, moving aside a small wooden gate to enter. The caribou remain placid; from all appearances, the post is simply abandoned, but Olain seems unconvinced. "Best check the cave carefully. No telling what might be in there if there's been no one around of late."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

"We better check this carefully..." says Ameretat while she draws her crossbow and starts searching the area, and hiding whenever possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+11)[22]

Search
    (1d20+6)[7]
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

22. - Top - End - #412

Caves. Why is it always caves? Henri mutters to himself as he slowly makes his way to the entrance. So, should I shine a light, or would it be better to go in without announcing our presence?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

The entrance faces west, and enough light filters through from the slowly sinking sun for Ameretat to make out the interior of the cave. The snow's icy covering diminishes to a fine powder further in, and each step sets tiny clouds dancing. Each side of the cavern has been carved out to form a long stone shelf, but both are empty. A ragged pile of brownish-grey fur slumps at the back of the cave; were it not for a few visible claws, it might seem inanimate, but it appears to be an old bear. Rather lacking in bulk, it does not seem to have moved recently, if the clear trail you leave through the snow is any indication, and appears to be deeply asleep for the moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #414

Henri whispers to his comrades after seeing the bear, Slowly and quietly back out; there's no reason to kill this creature, not to mention that I can't guarantee an attempt would do anything but rouse and anger the beast. So let's return to the trading post and see if we can figure out what actually happened, because this bear clearly had no hand in it.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat follows closely and silently
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

The bear continues its quiet slumber as you return to the icy outdoor air, trailing a puff of powdered snow in your wake. Olain greets your fruitless return with a slight frown, and swings the tents down from the wagon. "Nothing? Surely they can't have abandoned all notion of trading with the south... hmm. Perhaps we ought to remain here a little while and see if anyone shows up."

Ameretat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something high in the sky catches your eye as you leave the cave, a flash of brilliant white against the backdrop of blue and grey. Although not directly overhead, it is fairly close, a winged reptilian shape heading north. Rather similar in form to the one you encountered on the ship, you think, albeit a fair bit larger.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-03-14 at 11:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey guys, look at that..." points Ameretat at the Flying Object...
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

"What?" Olain cranes his neck, seeking out the brilliant white against the blue and grey. "My eyes aren't wonderful at that distance... what is it?"

Whatever it is, it's rather similar to the white-scaled reptilian creature that accosted you on the ship, albeit somewhat larger - just how much so, you can't really tell from this far away. A short way to the west and a few hundred feet up, it appears to be flying north.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #419

Henri gazes intently at the anomaly. That might be the clue to uncovering what went on here. But before we go to investigate, let's keep in mind that if we run into any opposition stronger than a dire caterpillar, Wild and Amy might become injured to a point where my magic cannot bring them back. If the two of you accept that risk we can go after the...thing. But if not, it might be better for me to check it out alone while the rest of you find somewhere to hide. Preferably not the cave.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, we are in no position to play the hero now..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko