New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Into the White

1. - Top - End - #421
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Into the White

I hate to say it Blood-Brother but I think remaining indeed is my best option for now. Be carefull and avoid being caught. Please, come to us at any sign of danger.
    Awesome and unique avatar by QWERNT!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

"That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"

"You did. Ten years from now."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

All right, I'll hopefully be back soon. Stay out of sight if you see anyone, unless Olain recognizes 'em.

Henri secures his weapons and trudges off in the direction of the flying creature.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat asumes defensive position to take care of Olain and Wildgeist
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Henri:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature's pace is swifter than your own; wings are apparently a distinct advantage. Either it doesn't notice you, or doesn't consider you of any interest, for by the time you are nearly out of sight of the camp, it in turn is nearly out of your sight ahead. Its flight is straight and purposeful; if it is hunting, you are clearly not the prey it seeks. By your best reckoning, its path takes it north and a bit west, well past your limited knowledge of the continent.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #425

Henri returns to the group some time later, his expression neutral.

Well, it outpaced me, whatever it is. Which isn't too surprising. It's going further inland, mostly north by northwest. And wherever it roosts must be none too close. Olain, this is your expedition; do you want to continue along that route in hopes of finding your fellow traders, or is it not worth the risk?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Olain furrows his brow in thought, considering the situation. "Hmm, well, it may not be related. I was hoping to stay here a short while and see if anyone showed up, but that may or may not be wise... What was it, could you tell? I could not get a good look at it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #427

I can't be sure. But it looked similar to a creature that approached us during our journey to this continent. One which had warned of an impending threat, if I recall. Likely the two are related. In any case, I am fairly certain that even with my comrades' health fully restored, all of us together would not be enough to handle such a creature in combat. Should it or others of its kind return, the best course of action is to hide. However, it may not be interested in us; I think it might have saw me as I trailed it, but if so, it showed no interest in me. Sorry I have no definitive information; it's a perplexing situation, and we have no one here to let us know how that thing fits in to the lack of traders. If it does at all.

Henri shrugs and goes back to check on Wild, making sure his wounds have not reopened.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm. If it showed no interest, that is a good sign; still, I don't like not knowing what it was. And it was headed in roughly the direction I'd have continued, if I were so inclined." Olain glances back and forth between the wagons, the vanished creature, and the empty cave for a while before coming to a decision.

"I suppose we'll stay here for a little while. I need material, and with the shortage as it is, I can ill afford to waste all this time and money on a fruitless trip. If we're lucky, someone may still arrive with the goods."

Olain tosses you a tent, gesturing to the empty space. "Had a look inside while you were gone; I see we won't be staying in there. Plenty of flat ground, here, though, so let's set up. You say you've run into one of those flying things to the south? What was it like?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #429

Henri thinks back to their arrival a few days before. It spoke, but in a language none of us knew. A kobold fellow we sailed with translated, saying it served someone or something named Keryllin, who would soon rule these lands. It demanded tribute for our passage, and when given a counterfeit ring it flew off, apparently placated. At the time I thought it might simply have been making this Keryllin up to procure treasure from ships along the channel. But the events of the last few days imply that there may indeed be a force at work here.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

"Interesting hypothesis Mr. Henri... I also share such view, something is amiss here, for sure. One thing is for certain, we must be even more careful now." says Ameretat while watching over Wildgeist
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

11. - Top - End - #431

As the camp is being set up, Henri uses the remainder of his healing spells to aid his comrades in restoring their battered bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've got one CLW left for the day, goes to Wild: (1d8+1)[7] And I think 2 Cure Minors, which both go to Amy

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That put Ameretat in 2hp, thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

13. - Top - End - #433

Spoiler
    Show
    You'd have to be at no less than 3 now, since you presumably gained one from sleeping last night.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'd have to be at no less than 3 now, since you presumably gained one from sleeping last night.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, forgot the sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

"Troubling indeed, if its reach is truly so far that it can order the harassment of shipping with impunity. Although I do not know much of the governance of such things, or how much Oakfoot takes responsibility for." He shakes his head with a sigh. "It is rather beyond my experience. I know the working of fur and the navigation of commerce, not the vagaries of politics."

A heavy snow begins to fall around second watch, although it is still and free of wind, and it shows no signs of abating as the faint glow of dawn becomes visible to the one standing last watch. It is a day for a warm fire and a mug of cider, not a wet post and fading coals, but still, it is not half an hour past dawning when a figure fades into view from the other side of the rise, leading a single caribou harnessed to a low sledge. As he approaches, you can see he wears well-fitted furs under a heavy cloak, hooded against the weather. He pulls back the hood as he sees you standing watch, nodding crisply as he makes his way to the gate of the small enclosure. His features show the signs of wear and weather, and two thin, parallel pink lines run across one cheek, the mark of some recent injury, but he seems fairly young underneath it all, from what the muted light reveals.

"My greetings to you. Your name and position?" His speech is careful and noncommittal, revealing no emotion, and although it is not loud it carries easily despite the snow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #436

Henri looks up from his early morning prayer, cheeks flecked with frost. I am Henri Duchamp, and I suppose my position would be guard. For this fine, upstanding trader right here. Henri gestures toward the tent, where Olain's snores are disturbing the otherwise serene atmosphere.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

"I am called Verius Anatio, and I am currently serving in the position of trader for the Alatus tribe." His eyes flick toward the tents, although his face betrays no reaction. "Please rouse your employer so that he and I may discuss business."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-03-27 at 12:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #438

Henri is glad to see that Olain might be able to unload his goods after all, but is too jumpy after the encounter with the elvish bandits to turn his back on the newcomer. He shouts, Amy or Wild! Rouse our employer, he may have a customer here.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat gently wakes Olain, moving his shoulders... "Boss... boss... we've got a potential customer..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Olain awakens quickly, rubbing one sleeve across his eyes. "Customer? Oh, oh, excellent." Pulling on a thick fur cap, he exits the tent, his face lighting up when he sees Verius. My greetings to you! I am called Olain, and I am a trader from the port of Seurd."

"I am called Verius Anatio, and I am currently serving in the position of trader for the Alatus tribe." Verius's tone is the same as it was previously, without the slightest change in inflection at the repetition of his introduction, although this time he pulls open the gate and urges his caribou inside. "I bring various pelts for the making of fur clothing."

"I bring various works of metalcraft, musical instruments, and grains..." Olain and Verius exchange words for a while; conversation with a Northern tribesman seems to involve much repetition of formal patterns and very little rhetoric. Eventually, they seem to reach a deal; most of Olain's metalwork, a few instruments, and all the foodstuffs he has brought for Verius's entire offering, and Olain calls you to help carry the decided-upon goods back and forth.

"Will any other traders come this way soon? I hope to exchange all I have brought."

"No," Verius replies shortly, the answer apparently needing little thought. "I am the only one who will pass this way this year."

Olain appears rather shocked; his only answer is a single "Why?"

"I may not speak of that."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #441

Henri emerges from his reverie long enough to chime in. What is it that binds your tongue, trader? Surely you can at least tell us that. Is it your decision not to speak of this matter, or was that made by one of those who rule you? And what does it have to do with the beasts that soar through the sky?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

"There will be no more traders this year," Verius intones. "This much and no more I was instructed to tell any I might find here. The decision was not mine to make."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #443

Fair enough. I do not wish to get you into trouble. But could you at least tell us who made that decision, so we might go ask them to reconsider? Our employer's livelihood is at stake, and since he pays our wages that means ours is as well.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Verius tilts his head for a moment, then nods. "The decision was made by Decius Pilum, lawgiver to the Alatus tribe. However, you will gain nothing by attempting to speak with him. Southerners will not be welcome this year."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, that's game over I guess, should we return to the dock then?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

26. - Top - End - #446

That's a decision Olain will have to make. But it does seem we've run into a dead end.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

Common pals!!! Although we had a... "difficult" start we're not gonna give up for what it seems a temporal decision, even more, maybe just a misunderstanding. Back in my town that sort of thing happened all the time between tribes and towns and families on a yearly basis... Mister Verius, by any chance do you know why this year southerners are not welcome by the tribe?
    Awesome and unique avatar by QWERNT!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

"That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"

"You did. Ten years from now."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

"I do," replies Verius, "but that relates to the matter of which I may not speak." Having completed the transfer of goods, he leads his caribou back through the gate - the furs received in trade barely fill one of Olain's wagons, with the other still nearly full of metalwork and the Actian instruments. "I wish you good fortune in your travels."

"And you in yours," replies Olain with a sigh, as Verius swiftly heads back the way he came. "Damn it all. I brought extra hoping to stockpile in case there was a shortage coming, but it seems I've landed right on the edge of one. I suppose that, on the slightly brighter side of the coin, I'll likely be the only one in town with enough stock to last the year."

Muttering something in Dwarven, he waves toward the tents. "We may as well pack up and head for Seurd; Verius made it clear enough we won't be welcome any further north."

The first half of your journey back is almost eerily quiet; even wolves and ptarmigan seem to be missing, or avoiding you. It is not until shortly after the start of the third day of travel that a more obvious sign of oddity appears - a freshly worn track through the snow, perhaps twenty feet wide, leading north by northwest across your path.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The food for these 3 days is provided by Olain, or should we consume from our personal things?
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We do have an OOC thread for this sort of thing, you know.

That said, yes, Olain's providing your rations for the trip, as agreed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei