New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Into the White

1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Into the White

Ameretat remarks to Wildgeist with an ironic tone "Hey Willy, you certainly should learn to be less defensive huh?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Wildgeist answers Ameretat comment just with a discrete laugh and after finishing his "Spicy" breakfast he stands up the table.

Well folks, I think we better get going and make the most of the light hours we still have ahead to explore Seurd and decide what's next in our journey. What do you say?
    Awesome and unique avatar by QWERNT!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

"That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"

"You did. Ten years from now."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

3. - Top - End - #123

4. - Top - End - #124

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm at work at the moment, can't really do long posts. But it'd help if you specified what you're planning to do.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno. Assuming we are trying to avoid the tavern cliche, I guess we can go to the gnome slums to see what's what, unless someone else has a notion.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

An hour or so of wandering around Seurd gets you a good idea of the layout of the city. The Darkwater Run is a short distance from the east bank of the river, and about equidistant from the north end of the city and the sea. The swiftly growing gnomish district appears to be confined to the west bank, and the remains of the slums are to its north. Two bridges cross the river, a large stone bridge close to the sea and a smaller wooden one near the north end. Most travel up the river is apparently done by oar, as neither bridge can be drawn up.

Two large markets dominate the north and south ends of the city along with their accompanying warehouses. The north market appears to specialize in local goods, furs, and other products from further inland, while the south market seems to handle the sea trade, luxuries, and, of course, fish. In between, the markets give way to shops, houses, and finally a large stone building that appears to serve as the seat of Seurd's government, such as it is. The east end of the city appears to contain a few pleasure establishments, but is mostly housing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, unlike Scorer, I have nothing against taverns. They hold the position they do for good reason, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #128

Spoiler
    Show
    I had thought that as well, that there's no more likely public area for people to congregate who do not occupy traditional positions in society. But the anti-tavern stigma on these boards seemed to be pretty strong, not just from Scorer but the populace in general.

Henri frowns slightly as he looks out across the river at Seurd stretching before him.

I'm no stranger to navigating large cities, but without knowing exactly what we seek, it is hard to say where we should go. None of us appears to be flush with gold at the moment, so the stores can be safely skipped. If we wish to find some sort of paying work, or people in need of aid, our likeliest spots are the gnome's area, one of the taverns, or possibly the Seurd government building. Where would you two like to try first? I would say the tavern initially; anyone there during the day clearly has a problem, and assuming it isn't a simple desire to drink the day away, it might be something we can help them solve for a bit of coin. But if you'd rather try one of the other places, just say so.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

"I agree that we must check out the gnomes and see what we can find out, at least we can get a good story I can perform later to gain a few coins..."

Spoiler
    Show

I have nothing against Taverns, I have against STARTING the campaign in a Tavern It's just not so imaginative...
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

10. - Top - End - #130

Then that is where we shall head first.

The trio walks across the large stone bridge to the gnomish district to the west.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

The gnomish district is fairly large, and you'd guess that it holds upwards of a hundred buildings. The construction was obviously carried out in haste, and almost all the buildings have a rough, unfinished appearance, but they appear quite sturdy in spite of that. Most of them are identical in design, with only a few showing signs of specialization. Several small groups of gnomes are carrying materials about, and it would seem that the construction is an ongoing effort.

You get a few odd looks as you enter the district - non-gnome visitors would seem to be rare - but no one addresses you directly, at least at first. Those gnomes that aren't involved with building new dwellings go about their tasks with a clear sense of purpose and efficiency, and there is little in the way of noise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

"I wonder if they have a leader of some sort..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

13. - Top - End - #133

Well, the innkeeper mentioned a King Lerin. So let's see if anyone knows where to find him.

Henri approaches one of the groups of gnomes in the process of construction.

Excuse me, but do you know where I can find King Lerin, or one of his agents?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

The gnome squints up at you, then shakes his head and turns back to the timber his group is carrying - apparently not in response to your question, however, since he adds "Follow, then," as he walks away.

He leads you to an unfinished building, points wordlessly to a gnome balanced on one of the uprights, nailing part of the frame into place, then leaves with his crew to a larger skeleton nearby. The one he pointed out is fairly young, with short light brown hair, and is wearing the same carpenter's outfit as the others. Nothing would seem to mark him as a king, but you do notice two of the younger gnomes at the base of the house watching you suspiciously as you approach.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #135

Henri whispers to his two companions before addressing the gnome. Wow....Darkwater said he was a down-to-earth sort, but I don't think he mentioned just how young this gnome is, to be the leader of an entire group like this.

Henri then approaches the gnome slowly, making sure not to alert the guards too much with his movements.

Are you the one they call King Liman? We are travelers from across the ocean, and just recently learned of the tragedy to befall your people. We thought we might see if you have any tasks we could assist you with. Though probably not the carpentry; my half-orc friend with me has his heart set on adventure and intrigue. While I just figure I could do to put a little more gold in my pouch, and I'd rather do so helping people like yourselves, who could probably use a bit of assistance in times like these.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Wildgeist tries to look as friendly as he can, although he's not very good on it.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy:(1d20-2)[1]
    Reactive Sense Motive:(1d20+2)[18]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

The nearest gnome glares at you, barely waiting for you to finish before he speaks. "His Grace, King Lerin, you ignorant flatnose!"

Lerin, for his part, appears unperturbed, merely ceasing his work as he listens to you. His voice, when he speaks, is low and clear, and although it carries easily, it remains quiet, and you get the impression it would sound identical at five paces or twenty. "Pay it no mind, Tarol. A name is not so important." He looks down at you, unconcerned. "Though, as he says, I am indeed King Lerin. I'm afraid I lack anything resembling a hall of audience; quite unnecessary to build such a thing when housing is still needed. Your desire to help is appreciated; unfortunately for your friend, I am rather hoping we left the adventure and intrigue behind with the kobolds." He smiles faintly, holding his hammer near the head like a sceptre.

"However, there are some of us who have chosen to establish settlements further inland. While I have no direct involvement with those that carry goods back and forth, if you wish to lend a hand and earn some coin at the same time, you might consider finding one willing to hire some guards; if you ask around Seurd, it should be possible."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-30 at 08:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #138

Henri bows to show his deference to the gnome. My apologies sir; we only just heard your name for the first time last night. I can see the tales of your benevolence hold weight. And I think we may look into that, sounds like a good opportunity to make money while still staying on the right side of the law. Thanks for the assistance, and good luck to you.

As they walk away, Henri addresses his comrades.

So, how do we find the gnomes who might need guards for their shipments inland? Should we check the merchant areas, or keep asking around here?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

"I guess so, however... this King... Not what I expected, I mean he seriously looks like a good person. I always thought Kings were like selfish or so..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Wildgeist bows to the king before leaving. Then he goes along his comrades.

I think it would be a good thing to go to the merchant areas... It would be highly probable that some merchant gnomes trade there, and who knows... Maybe we could find some sales or good bargains in the way...
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

21. - Top - End - #141

To the merchant quarter, then. We'll head to the one in the north, near the slums.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

The north market seems rather subdued, especially compared to the riot of sound and colour that is the south market. The open-air portion of the market is smaller here than the south, and there are more shops proper, but even aside from that, there are several empty stalls even at this hour, and the owners of those that remain are more reserved, overall, than their southern counterparts. Blacksmiths, tanners, and furriers are all in evidence, mostly in the surrounding shops (although the latter seem rather understocked, as a whole), while the open-air market features various metalcrafts, tools, and artwork. An alchemist's shop is marked by a lurid sign, topped with various fungi, that is visible from several streets away. Foodstuffs are not in abundance, but you do note a butcher's shop or two.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #143

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, Scorer or Wild, one of y'all take point on this, as I don't think I'm proving very adept at rooting out work so far. Oh, and whoops on my last post. Got this and Draconic mixed up color-wise.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, I'm as lost as you hehehehe. I have no idea where to go next...

"Let's find out what prizes they've got, maybe if we try with... food first" Ameretat aproaches and greets the food vendor. "Howdy! What do you sell?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

The vendor, a weatherworn middle-aged woman, holds up a skewer of pieces of meat and dried mushroom. "'Tis smoked venison, and a silver piece."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

"You sell a silver piece?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

27. - Top - End - #147

Henri chuckles and rolls his eyes.

Now I feel obligated to buy a serving just for such a bad joke.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

The woman smiles, tanned skin crinkling. "'Tis well worth the price, or so I like to think. What brings such well-armed children as yourselves to this port? Ye lack the look of locals - not jaded enough."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #149

Henri chats with the woman as he tears into the meat. In general, we seek many things, different for each of us. Specifically, we were looking for merchants who might require aid guarding their caravans of goods. King Lerin suggested there might be need for us in that capacity.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

She nods, casting a glance north. "Aye, I can see how some might want a little help with the journey north. Ye might try Olain's; he's been complaining about the distance he's had to travel for his goods lately." She indicates a furrier's down the road, marked by a prominent sign.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei