New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Into the White

1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Into the White

Tash taps a finger slowly on the side of his chin. "Mm, this is about what you discussed with Tamlin? None of us are 'ealers, but I'd advise you to look into what 'e suggested. Regardless of the language 'e 'id it in, 'e won't want you coming back to bother 'im, so I reckon 'e spoke true."

Aiel nods, his expression betraying - perhaps - a hint of concern. "If it's just one exposure to the poison, and she's not dead yet, she'll probably recover eventually if you keep her away from the source. I don't know much about curses, but Tamlin does, usually from being on the receiving end of them. If that's what he says it is..."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

What are they talking about, Wild? Did this Tamlin have more information on the poison?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Really not much....Just that he traded some old coins around here earlier and that he will leave me with no possibility to give grandchildren to my father if I ever bother him again... Wildgeist finishes his phrase with some giggles...
    Awesome and unique avatar by QWERNT!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

"That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?"

"You did. Ten years from now."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

4. - Top - End - #244

Hmm....so perhaps it was the coins, and not the coinbox, that was the problem. Excuse me, friends of Wildgeist.

Henri rushes back to the room, and casts Detect Poison again, this time targeting the coins in the coinbox.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Henri:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're not quite sure what you detect. There is certainly something in there, but it feels almost as though you are sensing only the movement of air against an unseen veil. Directly speaking, you don't detect any poison in the coins. But whatever you sense through the spell is in there somewhere.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #246

Henri stands back from the coins in concern, and turns to Ameretat.

Whatever has happened to these coins, they are definitely the source of the maiden's condition. The coinbox must merely have been permeated by their taint. We need to turn up something to collect them with, and then find a way to dispose of them safely. Perhaps bury them, or toss them in the river? I hate to get rid of money, but I suspect it would cost more to clear the miasma from them than they are worth.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat gets surprised and opens her eyes wide open... "Throw... money... river? Never put those words in the same sentence again, please. You're giving me a heart attack. Are you sure there is no way to clean it? somehow?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

8. - Top - End - #248

Nothing I know of. But if you'd rather, we can always just bury it somewhere when we head out of town with that fur merchant tomorrow. Mark the location for later retrieval, should some way be found to free it of its curse. Of course, technically it's not our money, but I doubt the elf woman wants it, after what it has put her through. By the by, it seems she'll be recovering naturally, so we should probably tell Darkwater that. I imagine he'll be relieved. I can watch her if you want to go tell him, since you and Wild seem to be more at home with social situations than I am.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Ameretat nods, gives a palm on the elf shoulder and goes downstairs...

"Well, so who might you be? And what is our current status Wildgeist?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

They are my newly acquired friends Tash, Navin and Aiel; of the Clan Dain, loyal servants of the gnomish race. And don't worry, all has been talked over and they represent no threat to us, at least that's what they have proved. Actually, maybe they can tell us about the trading routes to the north were we are heading or if they know anything about Olain the fur-trader.

@DM
    Spoiler
    Show

Just to be sure, Tash gave me how much Platinum??? I think it is 20 pieces but want to be sure for sheet update.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgements."

Commander William Riker & Zefram Cochrane in the Pheonix's Cockpit - Star Trek First Contact

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

"Olain? 'e's fairly skilled. Braver than most, too, so 'e 'asn't lost as much business as some."

"We don't head out of town much, but there's definitely been some sort of trouble with the fur supply. Shops all over town are having problems keeping stocked."

Wildgeist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Correct.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

Trouble??? What sort of trouble???

And, so Olain is trustworthy of his word and intentions???
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Navin nods in reply to your concerns, his sole contribution to the conversation.

Aiel shrugs, pouring another cup of wine. "It's hard to say for certain. Too far north for reliable information to come back; could be infighting, could be the hunters aren't finding prey, could be someone's gone and insulted someone important. We've been more concerned with the city itself and the inland settlers."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

And why is that???
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, it's not really our problem, you know? Our duty is to the gnomes, not the entire continent. There's only so much we can accomplish, and a reduction in the fur trade just isn't important enough to worry about overmuch."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-09-23 at 05:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Hehehe... What I meant was, what's happening round here that you've been more concerned with the city itself and the inland settlers???
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Character

Wildgeist W/L 3/1
    Der Tierhüter W/L 0/0

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that's not concerned as in 'worried,' just concerned as in 'the area we pay attention to.' I try to avoid talking about politics."

"Most of us do," adds Tash. "Plenty to do to support a community of exiles and refugees."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

"Then perhaps you may want to speak of business? I like to hear of any way I can get my hands in some extra coins "
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"Mm, well, we're not usually in the 'abit of 'iring others, but you 'ave 'elped us out once, even if it was only in trade. Might be we'll keep it in mind if we ever find ourselves in need of extra bodies. For now, though, I think we should leave you to your business. You seem to 'ave things to take care of." Tash rises and heads for the door, shortly followed by Navin.

Aiel lingers a little longer, finishing his wine and leaving a pair of coins on the table before rising to leave himself. "Friend of a friend can mean a fair bit, when it's the right friend. Wouldn't be surprised if we see each other again. Until then, good fortune and fair weather to you on your journeys."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

"Good fortune to you too, fella'"
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

21. - Top - End - #261

Since the elf's poisoning was both accidental and non-fatal, Henri ventures out from the room, and seeing his comrades locked in conversation with the gnomes, decides to seek out Darkwater himself to tell him how the situation had been resolved.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Darkwater nods to you as the gnomes depart, leaving the common room empty once more. "What have you learned? I'd be most appreciative if we can get this dealt with before customers start showing up for the evening."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #263

The matter is basically settled. Her poisoning was accidental; apparently the coins I heard the night before came from that foul-tempered dwarf, Tamlin. He had acquired them from somewhere, but was unaware that some sort of curse or miasma lay about them, and they must have rolled into the woman's room after he dropped them. The woman was stricken ill by this unfortunate happenstance, but by all accounts she has come through the worst of it, and while there are magics to speed her recovery, she'll be fine without them if just given a bit of time. So no worries; there's no one targeting your business, or making an attempt on the poor woman's life. Just garden variety bad luck.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Darkwater sighs, shaking his head. "That dwarf never did learn how to keep his fingers out of places they don't belong. This I can work with, at least. I'll leave her the room until she wakes. Have you dealt with the coins causing the problem?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #265

We intend to dispose of them when we leave the city tomorrow. Be sure to let the woman know this is why she will find herself short a few gold pieces, so she doesn't peg us as thieves.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"Good enough. Well, I'll trust you to finish the job." Moving aside several brightly coloured bottles behind the bar, Darkwater retrieves three small bottles, containing a clear liquid that seems to shimmer faintly in the low light. "These are of Tai Go make, one of their finest concoctions. I don't know the process they use, exactly, but it produces results matched by no one else, and the dwarves are fond of carrying one of these around for emergencies. They'll heal wounds and remove fatigue, and they taste wonderful - light, airy, and strongly floral."

He slides the bottles across the bar to you. "And, of course, you three will always be welcome here as long as I have room available."

Spoiler
    Show
    In game terms, a bottle of Tai Go orchid spirits will heal 1d8+2 damage, cure fatigue, and make you immune to fatigue for 10 minutes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #267

Henri brightens as he hears of the beverage's potent abilities. Many thanks! I suspect these will be of use where we're going. And I suspect we'll see each other again. Until then, good fortune with your business and your life.

Henri heads back to the room, stopping by his comrades to tell them that he's retiring for the night, looking to get as much sleep as he can before they depart.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

"Good night big fella'" as Ameretat goes to sleep as well...
    Spoiler
    Show

Arena Characters

Abogralia2
    Aguacatl
    Kiranova
    Mariachi Orco
    Ranko

Retired
    Zkai
    Abogralia
    Oro

High Referee

Medals

Campaign

The Second Draconic War
    Into the White

Arena Tournament

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

The day dawns cold and bright, with passing clouds forming a swiftly moving network of patchy shadows across the city. A strong wind rattles the shutters slightly, but they are firmly set in the wall, and even today's weather does not threaten to dislodge them. Breakfast at the Darkwater Run is once again porridge, and Darkwater seems well stocked with cinnamon. Any who care to check in on the young elven woman will find that she is sleeping deeply, but her breathing has returned to normal, and she no longer appears to be suffering from the paralysis that afflicted her the previous day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #270

Henri comes out of the elf woman's room, having just checked in on her after waking.

She's fine now, he tells the others, but I'll probably come back in to check on her later on. Now, do we need any more provisions for the trip? More importantly, do we have any money with which to procure anything?