Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 210
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Can anyone link me to the current pun pun build? The only one I have even been able to find is the original. Also does it still work on the crazy snake people?

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    wait.. pazuzu? aint the the name of the dog(?) on Neighbors from Hell? Hmmmm

    lol
    Last edited by Evard; 2010-07-13 at 10:08 PM.
    I have to give Paizo credit...

    They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

    How can you beat that?

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned
     
    faceroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Pun-pun would never be allowed to exist because the Marrush or whatever (the race that gives pun-pun the ability to do whatever he wants) have already ascended to over-deity-hood and are on constant vigil for that sort of thing.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in the playground.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    As have I - or rather, heard the stories about it. It was from a longtime 3.5 optimizer and jerkwad convincing his girlfriend to run him games simply so he could roll out stuff like Pun-Pun and the Emerald Legion.
    Wow, what a real jerk. I hope his gf didn't put up with it for long. xD
    What's Emerald legion, btw? xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    My Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Pun-pun would never be allowed to exist because the Marrush or whatever (the race that gives pun-pun the ability to do whatever he wants) have already ascended to over-deity-hood and are on constant vigil for that sort of thing.
    It was pointed out in some thread that the ability doesn't actually work on Sarrukhs
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs

    My New Ask Blog

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    No one cares if pun pun works because you can not convince ether side that they are wrong. Also why do most people attack pun pun on the wrong grounds? Go for the rules not the damn NPC reactions.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned
     
    Optimystik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Wow, what a real jerk. I hope his gf didn't put up with it for long. xD
    What's Emerald legion, btw? xD
    Basically, you take a troll, remove its main weaknesses (i.e. give it fire and acid immunity) to create a mini-tarrasque that won't stay dead, then mass-produce.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned
     
    faceroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    It was pointed out in some thread that the ability doesn't actually work on Sarrukhs
    Sarrukh gives a mindless minion the ability minus the line that it can't be used on Sarrukhs. See where this is going?
    Last edited by faceroll; 2010-07-13 at 10:27 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Crow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Someone needs to read how casting from items works...
    No, you need to read how Gate works. You can cast the spell from the item just fine. But the use of Gate which you need is a special use and has an XP component. The candle does not provide that XP component (It neither says it does, as the Golem Manuals do, nor is the price adjusted to include an already included XP component.)
    Avatar by Aedilred

    GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup - Season V

    Styx Rivermen
    Seasons 1 and 2: 16-3-4 Two-Time Division-A Champs!, Cup Champions!, Cup Semi-Finalists

    Feets Reloaded
    Season 4: 5-5-2 Cup Runners-Up

    Selene's Seductive Strut
    Season 3: 7-4-2 Cup Quarter-Finalists
    Season 5: 1-0-1

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned
     
    DragoonWraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Even if so (don't care to check all of the relevant rules, but I'm skeptical that you've come across the solution to this major problem after so many TO'ers have been over this), Gate's XP cost is only 1,000 XP. This is hardly the end of the world; a level 2 character can afford that as long as he's at least half way to level 3...

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OracleofWuffing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    The Level 1 Pun-Pun build I always see uses a ring of 3 wishes, not a Candle of Invocation. (Ardent, wish PaO on a psicrystal to a viper, wish PaO on yourself to a sarrukh)

    Though I would argue that the Candle of Invocation's text, "burning a candle also allows the owner to cast a gate spell," means that I'm allowed to cast the gate spell, whatever purposes I'm using it for doesn't matter. Should it say it provides the XP cost? Probably. Should it have a different price? Probably. Should Wizards of the Coast given more diligence to this item, overall? Probably.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2010-07-13 at 11:33 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ranos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    You want to know about Pun-pun, eh ? Let me tell you about that blasted kobold.

    There is a rumor, in the darkest circles of the roleplaying community. Says when you've gone deep enough into the world of roleplaying games, there's some kind of initiation ritual. Perhaps you've heard about it. Hell, some of you must already have gone through it. I know you're reading this, you bastards. I won't stay silent anymore.

    It all began when my cleric, Elfstar, was raised to the 8th level. That's when my world turned into hell. I was accepted into the coven and went through an intense occult training. I became a priestess and a witch. And the source of our power ? The goddamn Pun-pun. Bastard "ascended", gave himself the "ability to be a god in real life", and now he's toying with us mortals, using occult texts like d&d manuals as the gateway to create his dark servants.

    I've been in his thrall for a long, long time. Too long. I've seen things no man should ever see, done horrible things in his name, used terrible spells. But no more. Yesterday, I found my friend, Marcie, dead. They tried to make it look like a suicide, but I could smell the magic lingering in the air. The poor, foolish girl had tried to ascend, just to get back at the DM. She'd had her thief killed the day before, with a poison trap. She was innocent ; to her, it was just a game. But the DM was one of us. We're everywhere. The moment poor Marcie invoked Pazuzu, she was already good as dead. A dominate person later, and she was hanged in her room.

    And that's why I'm not going to take it anymore. I'm gonna make the kobold pay, tonight. Maybe I'll take him by surprise. Probably not, but I have to try. Wish me luck.

    Pazuzu, pazuzu, pazu-
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-07-13 at 11:35 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    Haha. Any chance you could elaborate on what happened?
    at my table, attempting to become Pun Pun effectivly summons Pun Pun

    so; if anyone tried to introduce a Pun Pun character into any game i was DM'ing, i'd do the following:

    after the first Manipulate Form iteration to boost any aspect of the character, they would hear a deafening peal of thunder (make a save or fall flat taking XxX temprary stat damage or something).

    after the second iteration, they would be struck by lightning from the heavens (take enough damage to leave them at 1HP, 1Str, 1Dex, 1Con, 1Cha. Wis and Int remain).

    if they try a third iteration, they would have effectvly summoned the "real" Pun Pun who arrives, demolishes, disintegrates and discombobulates the insolent PC with the words "There Can Be Only One".

    at this point, the character is irreversably and irretrievably dead.

    Use of Manipulate Form by PCs is to Pun Pun what the Pazuzu chant is to Pazuzu.

    at least, that's how i'd deal with it.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    I don't think our DM really knew what was going on.. He is kinda laidback.. But then after a month or so. We had pun-pun, wish, and word all together.. and it was still a lot of fun.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Dear Ranos: I love you. Despite the biological impossibility, I want to have ten million of your babies. In lieu of that, please accept one (1) Internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    You want to know about Pun-pun, eh ? Let me tell you about that blasted kobold.

    There is a rumor, in the darkest circles of the roleplaying community. Says when you've gone deep enough into the world of roleplaying games, there's some kind of initiation ritual. Perhaps you've heard about it. Hell, some of you must already have gone through it. I know you're reading this, you bastards. I won't stay silent anymore.

    It all began when my cleric, Elfstar, was raised to the 8th level.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Keep faith, trust to love. Fight with honor, but fight to win. -Wonder Woman, The Circle (Gail Simone)
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget from a convenience store.
    Avatar is from Thunt's Goblins!
    HackMaster Basic: A Free Game

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Pun-Pun ascension happens very quickly, and a quick detour to prevent scrying before you really get started is both to be expected, and unlikely to get much notice since it's a common thing to do.

    Seriously, just face it: it's rules legal. No one's ever, ever going to do it in-game. It's just TO.
    Actually, Pazuzu does make that particular Pun-Pun ascension somewhat questionable: the same source that describes how helpful he is to paladins notes that he generally scrys before he pops up when invoked. If you have scrying safeties up, he might not show. If you don't, he could reasonably learn of your plan.

    Not necessarily RAW illegal, but it does make it more questionable than, say, the original druid ascension (editing as I'm writing: I'm told that the original was actually an egotist. Druid was the first I saw).
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Evard View Post
    wait.. pazuzu? aint the the name of the dog(?) on Neighbors from Hell? Hmmmm
    Dunno about that, but Pazuzu is the name of Professor Farnsworth's gargoyle in Futurama.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Also relevant is the fact that Pazuzu (also know an Pazrael) is the abyssal lord the south-west wind and of fiendish avians and all things evil and winged.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-07-14 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thajocoth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-14 at 12:38 AM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    I always thought Pun Pun's use of a familiar was a weak point on his path of ultimate power. Granted it's bonded to its master, but at some point it'll be more intelligent than Pun Pun before he can absorb the stat, what's to stop it from simply saying "No"?
    It seemed a more elegant roleplaying fiat than the more 'heavy-handed' DM fiats out there.

    This has been got around anyway, with the use of psi-crystals. So it's a moot point.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Freegle View Post
    I always thought Pun Pun's use of a familiar was a weak point on his path of ultimate power. Granted it's bonded to its master, but at some point it'll be more intelligent than Pun Pun before he can absorb the stat, what's to stop it from simply saying "No"?
    It seemed a more elegant roleplaying fiat than the more 'heavy-handed' DM fiats out there.

    This has been got around anyway, with the use of psi-crystals. So it's a moot point.
    Why would it? Its master's power is it's power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post
    Actually, Pazuzu does make that particular Pun-Pun ascension somewhat questionable: the same source that describes how helpful he is to paladins notes that he generally scrys before he pops up when invoked. If you have scrying safeties up, he might not show. If you don't, he could reasonably learn of your plan.

    Not necessarily RAW illegal, but it does make it more questionable than, say, the original druid ascension (editing as I'm writing: I'm told that the original was actually an egotist. Druid was the first I saw).
    He gains immunity to scrying after a little bit of the ascension, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by sambo. View Post
    at my table, attempting to become Pun Pun effectivly summons Pun Pun

    so; if anyone tried to introduce a Pun Pun character into any game i was DM'ing, i'd do the following:

    after the first Manipulate Form iteration to boost any aspect of the character, they would hear a deafening peal of thunder (make a save or fall flat taking XxX temprary stat damage or something).

    after the second iteration, they would be struck by lightning from the heavens (take enough damage to leave them at 1HP, 1Str, 1Dex, 1Con, 1Cha. Wis and Int remain).

    if they try a third iteration, they would have effectvly summoned the "real" Pun Pun who arrives, demolishes, disintegrates and discombobulates the insolent PC with the words "There Can Be Only One".

    at this point, the character is irreversably and irretrievably dead.

    Use of Manipulate Form by PCs is to Pun Pun what the Pazuzu chant is to Pazuzu.

    at least, that's how i'd deal with it.
    Whereas I just don't allow Manipulate Form in my games.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    pfft. Sarrukh gives ability to familliar. The share spells effect has been ruled to work both ways. The Sarrukh modifies it's familliar, and shares the effect with itself. Share spells ignores type, allowing effects to effect creatures, even when they normally would not. Effectively, the Sarrkh's familliar becomes the focus of the loop. Once even one Sarrukh has a familliar, they can all use it as a focus to skip the restrictions on modifying themselves. Before long, every Sarrukh is the familliar of every other Sarrukh that it is friendly with. They all form a cricle and manipulate form far faster than Pun-Pun ever could. Reaching ascendancy far faster than he ever could. In fact they already have. Pun-Pun is a lie.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Okay, I know how to solve the problem! One, don't let Sarrukh exist in your game world. Two, any PC using Manipulate Form causes an Quarut to hunt them down...

    ...and retroactively remove said PC from the timestream.
    Last edited by Bodkins Odds; 2010-07-14 at 04:41 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Pun Pun happens

    DM: Ok, you win D&D. Shall we now play a campaign where there is a challenge? Or would you prefer to go home?

    Seriously, there is no need to stop Pun Pun. Pun Pun wins. K, bye bye. No point playing the game any more. Start a new game where you're not Pun Pun.
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2010-07-14 at 04:59 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    How to foil Pun-Pun in one easy step:

    1. Don't play Forgotten Realms, you twit.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Dreamer Pony is by Akrim.elf.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Baiyan, God of Joy, by GryffonDurime, while the C.U.T.E Scardycat and Dreamer are by Tomb Raven.

  26. - Top - End - #56

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    The share spells effect has been ruled to work both ways.
    Well, see, Pun-Pun uses the rules in the book. Your version uses some house rule. I think Pun-Pun can be considered better than your build, since it actually works with the rules given in the book, the baseline for any TO discussion.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    I think he was asserting that this was an official WotC ruling, whether this is true I have no idea.

  28. - Top - End - #58

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    It isn't in the errata. Seems less than official.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    Once even one Sarrukh has a familliar, they can all use it as a focus to skip the restrictions on modifying themselves. Before long, every Sarrukh is the familliar of every other Sarrukh that it is friendly with.
    Whaaa...? I'd call on Morbo but he's too busy going . I have no idea what this bit is supposed to mean.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    9mm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Why Pun-Pun Doesn't Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    You want to know about Pun-pun, eh ? Let me tell you about that blasted kobold.
    You sir, are awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    How to foil Pun-Pun in one easy step:

    1. Don't play Forgotten Realms, you twit.
    Always a good rule
    Rule of Cool former designer

    Shows I'm watching: Young Justice, Doctor Who

    Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Dota 2, Planetside 2 (NC), Witcher 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •