New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Levels in Erfworld

In the list of units in Gobwin Knob before everything was blown up, there were units that were listed as being up to level 3-4, then there was the Knight class infantry.

From this, does it seem that ordinary units (those who have not been promoted to Warlord status) have a maximum level of 5? Or 4 (as I believe it was in games such as Age of Wonders), with Knights being a special unit? What of Warlords?

Ansom is 10th level, and as far as I can remember, there have been no warlords introduced that are higher level. Does it seem to be implied that 10 is the maximum level a Warlord can reach? Don't most games that the Erfworld system has elements of (again, such as Age of Wonders), have a maximum Hero level of 20?

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Levels in Erfworld

This is what Rob has previously said on the matter of levels:

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Higher levels cost more, on a kind of exponential scale that may vary by a large number of factors including the type of unit leveling, the type and number and levels of units croaked, and other activities involving the leveling unit's special abilities that may not even constitute combat. But the main thing is that you should imagine something like a logarithmic curve (not saying it literally is logarithmic), whereby low levels are achievable with a little combat, but levels above 10 or 11 become extremely difficult to obtain, and something like a level 20 unit is completely unheard of. Also notable is that not all of the numbers are available to the units and commanders to calculate, and so the existence of a predicable system of leveling at all is in the realm of the theoretical Mathamancers. Units cannot actually predict when they are going to level (Jillian is being flippant when she tells the Archons, "Cmon, it'll be fun. You'll level." but it would be a reasonable bet they might if they took out a stack of dwagons.)

This stuff needs to go into the wiki.
    This seems to imply that there isn't an actual hard level limit.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

On the other hand, a logarithmic scale is one of the simplest and most effective soft limits around.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    On the other hand, a logarithmic scale is one of the simplest and most effective soft limits around.
    Yeah. You would probably need to butcher all of Erfworld's population to go from lv19 to 20!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Yeah. You would probably need to butcher all of Erfworld's population to go from lv19 to 20!
    Or have been butchering people on a large scale for thousands and thousands or turns.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

6. - Top - End - #6

I have no data to support that conclusion.

Seriously though. The comic really never makes the mechanics behind leveling all that explicit. So it's pointless to speculate.