Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 749
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default A Light in the Darkness [closed]

    The lizardman and drow stand side by side as they watch the longboat's lantern recede into the distance.

    The drow removes his plate armor, leaving the pieces stacked neatly on the shore. The lizardman stands motionless, lost in thought.

    Neither speaks for a long time.


    OOC: Both the lizardman and the drow have darkvision. Unless otherwise specified, communication is assumed to be in draconic ... This thread is a "spin off" from The Sea of Starry Night II. The OOC thread is here.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Trinark finally breaks the silence, "I regret that we are separated from the rest of the group. I vow that I will watch your back to the best of my ability. I will work with you to see that you and Sheyra are brought back together."

    "I suggest we try to find food as soon as possible. I can create water magically if necessary."


  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The lizardman doesn't understand the word of what the lone drow says but the calm in his voice and his gestures indicate that he was willing to help find sheyra again.

    The lizardman nods in agreement. He puzzled over Trinark's removal of his armor until he realised that Trinark moved more silently now.
    I will be alone with this darkskin..drow..for much time in this place.... He offered himself as a sacrifice to the squid-thing..... It is as worthy as the others. It CANNOT have been the cause of the one killed

    He comes to a decision and mimics a gesture he had often spied among pinkskins, he hoped the drow would respond. He held a open palm side-ways at waist level and offered it to the drow

    "Together. You and I"
    He points with his other hand in the direction of the ferry.
    "To find Sheyra and our packmates in Tefff-lam"
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The two accidental companions turn their backs to the Sea and look up at the imposing cliffs that form the semi-circular cove. The carved footholds lead back up to some caves, but the black pudding lies that way, and they are not eager to backtrack.

    Dark openings along the base of the cliff to the left and to the right indicate additional passages leaving the beach. The opening to the left is large and regular, as if it has been worked. The opening to the right is a narrow triangle and appears to be a natural opening in the rock.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    In Draconic, "Well my Lizardkin friend, what should I call you? *I don't want to offend."

    Trinark suveys the cave passages, stroking his chin. *"I suggest we take the smaller of the two, I am hoping you can find some more of those mushrooms. *They can sustain us for a little while longer, and I can purify them if we find the poisonous ones. *What do you think?"

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The Lizardkin lowers his offered handshake. Perhaps the drow are unfamiliar with the pinkskin custom.

    He nods as the drow points to the narrower passage.
    "Agreed. Allow me to look at the ground"

    {OOC: Survival check: looking for tracks and signs of creatures}

    "You may call me Druid or any namesake you wish"

    He turns his neck to look at the sea in thought.
    "It might be wise to not leave just yet. There might be fish in the sea.. or beasts may come down to where there is water"

    He frowns in thought and walks to the water's edge to taste it. He wonders if is freshwater or salty.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The lizardman looks carefully at the tracks on the beach. Most were made by his companions on their way to the dock. The other markings are indistinct. It appears that the Glimmersea is subject to the pull of Selune as much as any surface sea, and the tides seem to have erased any signs of previous visitors.

    The lizardman's nose already indicates that the Glimmersea is briny. He tastes the seawater anyway, and confirms that it is salty and undrinkable.

    The two of you consider whether it would be better to wait here by the beach for other passersby or whether you should move on, hoping to find food or another path to the surface. Neither of you have eaten for several days, and you are both beginning to feel weak ...




  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The lizardkin druid had considered fishing to feed themselves but had reconsiderd it. They were weak enough to begin with and the exertions of swimming and fishing would only wear them out quickly with no guarantee of success.

    Secondly, when it came to fish, there was one rule.

    If you were bigger, you eat; If you were smaller, you were eaten..

    Looking at the size of the Sea, he had no idea as to what dwelt in its dark depths and the size they grew to. Considering the aberrations that infested this place, it was quite likely they would simply run into more inedible trouble.

    Shaking his head at having to turn his back to the chance at a meal, Ssathiya folds the net and stows it into his back pack and hoists the backpack and shield tied to it on.

    He marchs to the narrow opening and looks at the drow expectantly.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Trinark watches the Druid silently go through his search for tracks and checking the water. He then follows him over to the smaller entrance and takes the lead.

    "I will lead for now, I believe my vision is a little better than yours." Trinark says trying to be friendly. [OOC: Darkvision 120']

    [OOC: Trinark will move at a typical pace. If there are any signs of danger, or something edible he will stop. Edible to include moss, lichen, mushrooms...etc.]

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    He frowns slightly at this new piece of information but is not surprised. He politely nods to Trinark's smile and moves aside to let him take the lead.

    He stands, a tall silent silhouette against the cliff face staring into the sea of starry night in the direction of the disappeared ferry before looking up at the preternatural night sky.

    Semuanya.. may my path return me to the green grass and moonlit sky...soon

    He turns and walks steadily into the shadows unslinging his shield into his left arm.

    The cliffs are silent and empty once more.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The two of you are both reasonably comfortable without light, and since neither of you are encumbered with heavy, noisy, metal armor, you both are able to move quickly and relatively silently through the darkness.

    You explore a narrow natural passageway, climbing above, under, and around large natural rock formations. There are signs that this passageway has been used by others before, though no tracks are alarmingly fresh. No doubt others have used this way to get to the ferry in the past.

    The gnawing hunger pains eventually fade into a dull background discomfort. This part of the Underdark seems to be unusually barren.

    [hr]
    With no destination particularly in mind, the two of you meander through the bowels of the Underdark for an indefinite period of time. You stop to rest when tired and drink when thirsty.

    An unknown number of days pass, hours blurring into each other. The two of you are thoroughly lost. You both shrug. What does it matter?

    [hr]
    You are both exhausted and starving. If you don't find food soon, there is a real possibility that you will both die here in the Underdark.

    You have just recently entered a series of vaulted caverns filled with numerous stalactites and stalagmites, hoping to find some edible fungi. Suddenly, the drow halts in his tracks. There is sound and movement ahead. In a few moments, the lizardman can sense it too ...




  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Hearing the movement, Trinark stopped and remained motionless. He glanced left and right judging the distance to the closest cover, probably a stalagmite.

    [OOC: DR, if nothing or noone is visible, Trinark with attempt to silently move to the closest cover. If there is something visible, he will attempt to identify it before moving.]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The long hunger and fatigue were wearing Ssathiya down. He talked less with Trinark. Merely nodding or shaking his head and wordlessly following his lead.

    Seeing the drow tense and remain still causes him to focus his attention ahead. The sounds of something moving ahead shook him out of his self-reverie. The usually cautious lizardkin was now simply too hungry and too much of a bad mood to simply evade an encounter. He stood there teeth bared,breath quickening with all the signs he was about to fly into a svage fit and butcher whatever lay ahead.

    [OOC: I'm fighting shield and claw and if it's a friendly Yoric, you'd better restrain me]
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    As the two heroes remain motionless, the only noise that is heard is the approach os something ahead and the breaths they exhale.

    As the noise gets nearer, the two tense, ready to react.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The footsteps and noises cease.

    It seems that whoever they are, they are aware of your presence as well ...

    Tense seconds pass in silence and darkness.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark and the lizardman freeze in their positions. They breathe as quietly as possible and strain their ears for any sound.

    After a long time, they make out the faint scrape of stone against stone. The sound seems to have come from behind them ...

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The reptilian had been standing at the back. He spins around on hearing the sound.

    WE're surrounded! Semuanya! We are being hunted.

    His anxiety gives way to a new thought as he braces himself for assault.

    Strange. If they have the advantage of position and numbers, What are they waiting for? Why haven't they attacked already?
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Trinark glances behind him to see if he sees anything.

    (Assuming he doesn't...)

    Trinark will attempt to move silently to the nearest cover, even if he has to crouch. (But he doesn't want to go prone.)

    [OOC: DR, do we have weapons ready or not?]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark holds his sword ready. The lizardman is ready to fight with tooth and claw. Both move slowly, cautiously, and silently until they are behind rock formations.

    The stalagmites scattered about the cavern provide cover for both the two of you and the approaching intruder or intruders.

    In the dark, Trinark thinks that he sees a flicker of movement behind one of the stalagmites, but he can't be sure.

    The two of you huddle almost back to back as they peer into the darkness. The tension thickens, like a noose tightening ...




  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    Hefting his shield, the lizatrdman turns his head to whisper to the drow cleric who stood at his back.

    The enemy does not attack! They may not know how many of us there are and may not stike yet.

    "We are surrounded. All that remains for us is surprise. Your word. We charge back."


    A dire thought comes to him at the end.
    A hunter who gives himself away may be poor or so sure of victory that caution and stealth did not matter any longer

    He frowns at the thought but says nothing. He tenses for Trinark's signal.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Attempting to sieze the advantage, Trinark will cast Dancing Lights (racial ability). He will select the optional "Humanoid" shape. To appear near the entrance to the cavern that Trinark and the Druid entered through. He will have the "light" remain stationary for the time being.

    Trinark will be ready in case something is revealed or moves when the "light" appears.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark turns and casts dancing lights back the way the two of you had come.

    For a moment, three figures are silhouetted against the glow - drow! Apparently, they had circled around and were attempting to sneak up behind you. One waves a hand and the dancing lights are snuffed out.

    With their presence discovered, there apparently is no longer any need for stealth. Footsteps converge on the two of you from ahead and behind.

    One of the three behind you calls out in Undercommon, "There are only two of them!"

    A voice replies from in front of you, "Take them alive!"



    OOC: Please make your own initiative rolls. There are three drow warriors in front of you and three drow behind you. Both sets of drow are 30 ft away. Random stalagmites provide 25% cover for everyone.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The reptilia curses. Expecting surprise to be on their advantage, he was dismayed as his partner casted a spell that gave their last advantage away.

    He sprints towards the drow at the back, his shield held before him.

    All my fighting spells are used. I will have to fight tooth and claw

    OOC: My initiative is 18. My plan is to charge and break through the line of drow at the back and then turn so I can flank them if Trinark is behind me. Once we both can break through, we run for it.EDIT: I obviously choose the path of least AOOs
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    This is going to get *ugly* very quickly...

    [OOC: Init roll 15 + 6 = 21]

    If the Drow have not closed to melee range, Trinark will cast Shield of Faith on himself. Then move toward the Druid.

    If they are too close for safe spellcasting, Trinark will activate Fighting Defensively. He will attack the closest enemy with his Longsword. (+3 to hit.)

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    With a fearsome roar, the lizardman charges the three drow to the rear. He hears the thwip, thwip, thwip of hand crossbows discharging, and he feels three small bolts thud into his shield.

    A split second later, the lizardman is crashing through the center of their line, dropping the drow warrior in the center to the ground with a single blow of his club.

    Trinark follows close on the lizardman's heels, casting a protective spell as he runs. He hears two bolts whiz past him until they strike stalagmites. A third bolt passes close enough for him to feel a thrumming in the air as it just barely misses. Trinark mutters a prayer of thanks to Eilistraee for shielding him and readies his sword.




    OOC: Trinark casts shield of faith and delays his move to follow the lizardman. The three drow to the rear are unable to overcome the lizardman's charging AC of 20. The lizardman charges and drops a drow warrior with 5 points of damage. The drow from the "front" (now the rear) fire at Trinark. Two miss completely, while the third narrowly misses.




  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ssathiya, Lizardkin Druid

    Roaring Semuanya's name, spittle flying from his bared maw, the lizardkiin whirls like a dervish, fighting the two drow remaining upright. Alternating between the two, blocking one's attacks as he swung his club at the other with breakneck speed.

    The drow would not dismiss one of the people so easily again. The words of their pack-leader echoed in him.

    There are only two of them...

    Take them alive..

    *snort*

    Semuanya did not intend his offspring as any kind of prey!..easy or otherwise...

    He snarled as he struck again.

    OOC: The description's for style. As i stated, turn around. attack one of them and 'scare' the other until I drop all of them if possible and run off with Trinark. If i'm allowed more than a single attack, as a full round action, I choose to 1 club/ 1 bite attack(secondary).
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Another drow falls under the lizardman's frenzied attacks. The third drow warrior draws his rapier and thrusts desperately, but the lizardman easily deflects the point of the blade off of his shield.

    Trinark takes advantage of the drow being distracted to slash him deeply across his back. The drow hisses in agony, then whirls to protect himself, only to be clubbed across the back of the skull by the lizardman.

    Another series of small crossbow bolts streak through the darkness. Trinark and the lizardman take cover behind some stalagmites.

    Trinark peeks around the stalagmite and sees the remaining three drow closing in on his and the lizardman's position. Two of them carry bucklers and have rapiers held ready. The one in the center wears a sergeant's insignia and is wielding a spiked chain. Due to the close quarters, he is holding the chain close to its two ends, which are being whirling gently and skillfully.



    OOC: Combat continues ...

    Round 2: The lizardman kills a second drow. Trinark flanks and slashes the third drow. The other set of drow move and reload.

    Round 3: The lizardman finishes off the third drow. Trinark fights defensively. Three more bolts are fired but miss. The three remaining drow draw their melee weapons and move.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    "Be careful my Druid friend, I don't have an offensive spells available at the moment. Now would be a very bad time to take a dirt-nap." Trinark is unable to surpress a smirk.

    Trinark maintains his defensive fighting style, staying close to the Druid and looking for an opening to strike.

    [OOC: Trinark keeps up his previous tactic of fighting defensively. He will take advantage of a flank if the opportunity presents itself.]

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The three drow close in cautiously, seeing the fate of the rest of their squad. Two soldiers attempt to flank the lizardman, while the sergeant stays back, whirling his spiked chain overhead.

    The lizardman shifts his position, stacking the two drow skirmishers. The closest drow attempts to parry the lizardman's attacks with his rapier as best he can, but he doesn't seem to be trying to counterattack for some reason. The sergeant's chain whips over the skirmisher's head and harries the lizardman unpredicatably.

    Trinark, meanwhile, stays behind the lizardman and waits for an opening. He sees the sergeant switch to a one-handed grip on the chain. The sergeant's free hand makes a series of quick movements.

    Too late Trinark recognizes the trap. A flurry of small bolts explodes from the left flank. At least two bolts strike both the lizardman and Trinark. The lizardman roars in fury, but within seconds, the drow poison begins to take effect and both the lizardman and Trinark slump to the ground.

    As their consciousness begins to fade, they look up toward the ceiling as roughly a dozen drow encircle them. The sergeant coils his spiked chain carefully and the other drow reload their hand crossbows.

    Their voices sound muffled as if they are speaking underwater and you can't help wondering ...

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Time passes ...

    You are aware of gentle rocking and the sound of boots marching on stone ...

    More time passes ...

    [hr]
    You regain consciousness slowly, and find yourself lying on cold natural stone. Sitting up, you realize that you are chained by the neck to a number of other humanoids.

    A single dim lantern casts a purplish glow over the cavern. Fifteen drow warriors are scattered about the cave. Some are watching the exits. Others are gathered near the lantern, sitting on a number of sturdy wooden chests, chatting and eating.

    Two dozen grimlocks, who have been acting as porters, huddle together in a separate group.

    Some of the other prisoners are awake, others are either sleeping or still unconscious. Sitting on the ground near you is a small cage that contains some kind of lizard. A pot full of water has been placed in the center of your group, along with some pieces of bread.








Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •