New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

Thallios, elf wizard

Thallios readies his third and last Scorching Ray. If the beast is still going strong, he will cast it.

[OOC - I'm leaving on vacation in the morning. I expect to have internet access at my hotel in Vienna, but in the event that I am unable to log in, DR, I'm terribly sorry. Please run Thallios as an NPC]
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tychus

Unsure of what actions he could take to aid his allies, he tries to blind the beast, and make it easier to focus on. After doing so, he tries to move around to the Lizardman, to see if he can aid him in any way.

OOC: Casts Glitterdust, Will save DC 15 to not be blinded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Ginevra

Ginevra dodges the beast's attacks, looking away from its face, trying to avoid its crushing gaze, watching its movements out of the corner of her eyes. She hisses in annoyance as the dust from Tychus' spell falls over her. Blinking it from her eyes, she makes a darting attack towards the beast, stabbing quickly at the area between its armor plates, and moves away around a mushroom, trying to evade its pincers.

(OOC: Averts eyes--50% chance Ginevra doesn't have to make a will save against the umberhulk. 20% concealment miss chance. Will Save +1 from Bardic Music (1d20+3=19)
    Attack Roll +2 from Bardic Music and Bless (1d20+10=17)
    Concealment Miss Roll (d%=48))
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

Since no one needs any immediate aid, Trinark changes his focus. He moves over to his Druid friend, and attempts to help free him. If necessary he will use his longsword to shop through the fungus trunk.

He occasionally glances over his shoulder at the melee, just in case someone needs him.

[OOC: I will leave the details of helping the Druid to our distinguished DM.]

5. - Top - End - #305

The gnoll charges in, holding the longsword in both paws. As the gnoll swings, the umber hulk raises a heavily armored arm, deflecting the attack easily, almost knocking the gnoll off-balance.

Perhaps it is the tiny dragon's ferocious attack, or Ginevra's natural agility, but when the umber hulk attacks the human rogue, it slashes nothing but air.

Thallios burns the umber hulk again, singing off the hair-like feelers that cover the monsters carapace. As if noticing the bard for the first time, the umber hulk slowly turns and fixes its gaze on him.

With a shout, Tychus showers the area with a glittering dust that coats everything in the melee area, highlighting Ginevra, the gnoll, the flying lizard, and the umber hulk.

His intentions are good, but both the gnoll and the pseudodragon shake their heads as the dust blinds them. Ginevra manages to avert her eyes, but the dust prevents her from blending into the shadows as is her usual evasion strategy ...

Meanwhile, Trinark has managed to make his way over towards the mushroom where his lizardkin friend is chained. With a prayer to Eilistraee on his lips, the drow raises his sword and cleaves the lock in two.

With a hiss of satisfaction, the lizardman raises his freed arms, broken chains dangling from each wrist ...

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardkin Druid

FREE!

His frenzy lifts for a moment and he looks at his packmate with a smile before he charges the umber hulk. Attempting to leap on it and bring it down.

He feels something begin to muddle his concentration but he tries to shake it off as he charges.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Ginevra

Damn it! Ginevra curses to herself, shaking her head in a futile attempt to dislodge some of the glittering powder. As the beast turns to Thallios, Ginevra darts catlike around her mushroom to the beast's back, opposite from Tiriel and the agressive gnoll, and stabs again at a gap between the armor plates of the insect-beast, making sure not to look directly at the creature.

(OOC: Attack Roll, Die Umber Hulk! 1d20+10=28
    Concealment Miss Chance d%=23)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

A growl echoes forth from Yix as the dust settles in his eyes, but it doesn't stop him from lashing out with his stinger. His mind compels his to attack where it remembers the hulking figure last.

(Attack Roll:12+6+1-Blindness=?))

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

Gnoll

Ignoring his initial failure, the gnoll keeps on at the monster.

[Ooc: Full atack action: 1d20+8=9 not going too well.]
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

Trinark stares dumbfounded at his "Blessed Longsword", then to the shattered lock on the ground. Grinning, he turns in place to survey the raging battle.

Seeing that none of his comrades looks injured, he looks for an opening to join the fray.

[OOC: Activate Fighting Defensively {+2 AC, -4 to hit}]

[OOC2- Don't forget about the Bless spell in effect.]

11. - Top - End - #311

Tychus

Fast running out of options, and not wanting to make things worse, Tychus pulls back out of combat and starts up his song again.

Might not be able to take that beast down, but at least I can help the others a little.

[OOC: Move back 30 feet and start Bardic Music up again.]
    You sir, are my hero.

12. - Top - End - #312

Si'rene and Andrea continue to wobble in confusion, still subject to the effects of the umber hulk's gaze. Tychus steps away from the melee, raising his voice in inspiring song.

Ginevra and Tiriel are joined by Trinark, the gnoll and the lizardman, as they surround and harry the umber hulk, like hounds trying to bring down a wild boar. The pseudodragon continues to flit about the monster's head like an angry hornet.

The umber hulk's gaze switches away from Thallios to the nearby melee combatants - whom the beast determines to be the greater threat.

The gnoll howls as he fumbles with the unfamiliar weapon designed for human, not gnoll, hands, but his attacks give Ginevra another opportunity to thrust the umber hulk when his back is turned.

Unfortunately, the umber hulk is able to catch the gnoll by the scruff of his neck, lifting the gnoll into the air, then smashing him down onto the ground, leaving him broken and bloody.

The monster then clamps its enormous mandibles around Tiriel's waist. Only her elven chain prevents her from being cut in half. She reverses her grip and drives her flaming longsword deep into the beast's neck, forcing it to release her.

At just that moment, the lizardman, newly freed, leaps through the air, scrabbling at the umber hulk's armor with his claws. The beast slaps the lizardman aside almost as an afterthought.

OOC: Tiriel hits with a 28 (18 + 10) for 15 damage. Ginevra hits for 10 damage (including backstabbing bonus for flanking). The gnoll misses. The lizardman hits with a 25 (18 + 7) for 4 damage.

The umber hulk hits the lizardman with a 19 (8 + 11) for 10 points on an AoO. It hits the gnoll with a natural 20 and crits with a 15 (4 + 11) for 20 points. It misses Ginevra with a 16 (5 + 11). It misses Tiriel with a 13 (4 + 9).

The umber hulk has taken 120 points of damage so far.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Ginevra

Ginevra, seeing her companions, her... friends wounded, growls and stabs at the beetle-beast again, not bothering avert her eyes.

(OOC: Attack Roll 1d20+10=20)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

Gnoll

Brused and bloodied, but by no means out of the battle, the Gnoll heaves itself off the floor and Makes yet another attempt at attacking the creature with a grunt of effort.

(ooc: Attack against Umber=d20+8=22 Finaly a decent roll)
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

15. - Top - End - #315

Lizardkin Druid

Wincing from the pain, the reptilian holds his bruised ribs and recovers his breath.

Picking himself with a grunt, he strategically moves to flank the freak of nature and moves in for the kill.

OOC: (1d20 + 4 = 13 + 4 + 2(flank) +2(BM&bless) = 21 )
    Damage: 3+3= 6
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

16. - Top - End - #316

Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC

Tiriel realizes that most of those involved in the fight don't have much of a surival chance unless the creature is dealt with quickly. As such she positions herself across from one of those still in melee with the Umberhulk and attacks with an upward swing:

Attack roll: (1d20.each(12)=22) with +2(flank) +1(bless), (+1 b.music) factored in

Damage: (1d8.each(7), 1d6,=[[3, 7]], [6])=(+1 for b.music)17
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

17. - Top - End - #317

The umber hulk seems almost surprised by the ferocity of the attacks from all directions.

Ginevra's backstabbing, Tiriel's flaming slashes, and the ferocious attacks from the lizardman and the gnoll (not to mention the frenzied stinging from the tiny dragon) combined prove to be too much for the umber hulk.

It collapses under its own weight, twitches for several seconds, then is still.

Slowly, the confused members of the party regain their senses, while the others inspect the enormous cadaver. Although none of you have seem many umber hulks, this monster's thick, scarred carapace and enormous size suggest that it was much older than the "usual" members of its species.

[hr]
    The drow and grimlocks seem to have made good their escape in the meantime.

You note two exit tunnels (other than the tunnel you entered through). The lizardman indicates that the drow took the downward sloping tunnel. The other tunnel slopes upward.

OOC: Ouch! The elder umber hulk absorbs a grand total of 156 points of damage.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Huh? What's going on? And whats that thing doing there. Ha ha I must have one it! Yix thinks to himself as he flies over and lands on the dead beast trumpeting a growl of success. Yix throws out his chest like a returning conqueror, and makes sure everyone knows he is proud of himself.

19. - Top - End - #319

Once Andrea regains his senses, he smiles as the party is reunited with the gnoll and lizardman.

The Harper winks as he unslings a large pack from his back. Opening it, he reveals that he has been carrying the lizardman's and gnoll's weapons and armor.

"I thought you might need these once we rescued you!"

20. - Top - End - #320

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian takes the offered backpack and hangs his head in shame.

One of the people hunting beside pinkskins.. one of the people owing his life to pinkskins... how times have changed...

He nods his thanks to Andrea.

He looks to Tychus and musters an appreciative look
    "Freed me again. have you"

Placing an arm on Trinark's shoulder, he relaxes certain jaw muscles on his face. Not quite a smile but a lightened expression. Even though a savage race that fought among themselves, the lizardpeople were a communal race who found comfort in each other's company. This lizardman is no exception and his comfort in the drow's company was clear.

"We are still due a blood debt from your ki..kind". He stops from saying 'kin' at the last moment, finally acknowledging that the lone drow who stood by him was an outcast and no kin of the drow who had captured and chained them like lesser beasts.

Grim determination had settled on his features but looking at the battle-weary starngers and after considering the delay this had been from his true objective: finding Sheyra, he untensed his shoulders and simply said:

"There is food here. We should rest and then choose our paths". He waves his arm indicating the expanse of fungi and looks at the others.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

Gnoll

The gnoll bows his head in thanks as he accepts the equipment back.

"I suppose that I too owe you my life twice over now," he says, strangely subdued. "I thank you all the same."

He growls at the lizards comment. "We can't stay here, not while the drow are running. I would dearly like to sink my teath into their flesh."

Kurt

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Ginevra

The green-eyed woman hesitates, looking at her friends.
    "I don't know about us... S'irene, Tiriel, am I correct in thinking that all three of us want to get back to what we were doing before?"
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Tychus

Tychus smiles warmly at the Lizardman, and clasps his hand.

Nothing more than you would do for me.

He gratefully accepts his sword back from the gnoll, shocked at the state of his wounds

I hope my sword served you as well as it has me. Would you like me to heal you some? You don't look so healthy...
    You sir, are my hero.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

Gnoll

The gnoll's gruf voice speaks again. "I do not desire to be further in your debt than I am, but I doubt that my desire to rip out the throats of those drow will be sated while I am in this condition."

Kurt

25. - Top - End - #325

Tychus

There is no debt to be repaid. If you were my ally, and you were injured, I would heal you. But you are more than an ally, you are a friend. Your wounds, I will gladly heal.

Tychus sets about healing the Gnoll.

[OOC:Casts Cure Light Wounds twice to restore the gnoll.
    HP recovery 1d8+5=13, 1d8+5=6, total 19 ]
    You sir, are my hero.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

Trinark goes about tending to the wounded, binding folks up as necessary. He seems surprised at how well the party fared, given the size and strength of their opponent.

He observes the Bard curing the gnoll, and doubles back to check on his Druid friend a second time.

27. - Top - End - #327

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardman appeared surprised to have his hand grabbed by Tychus. Considering it another pinkskin custom, he reciprocated until tychus let go.

As Trinark returned to his side, he ***** his head to his side awaiting his reply to the suggestion of rest and resumption of their previous quest.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

28. - Top - End - #328

Tiriel looks at the two tunnels and frowns before turning back to the party.
    "I agree with the gnoll, but frankly the chance to leave this dank ****hole far outweighs my desire for revenge."

Tiriel will then clean her sword and check the damage done to her armor.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix croons his agreement with Tiriel. It had been a long time since he had ever smelt fresh air, but he also did want to take on the elves. With him it should be easy enough to take them all out. He begins walking around the Umber Hulk's body looking around the room, however not for anything in particular it seems.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Ginevra

Ginevra nods in agreement to Tiriel.
    "Yes, I feel the same way. I've had enough of the Underdark."
    Ginevra replaces her weapons in their sheathes, checks that the daggers in her sleeves are secure, and replaces the lock picks in her belt pouch into her kit.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show