Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 749
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Gnoll way out

    The large Hyena headed humanoid wakes slowly and groggly, then takes in the situation. With a look at bread, he exhales a gutteral kufaw, and turns to look at whoever is next to him on the chain gang, right and left. Which one of these other clowns looks the most edible

    "Does anyone know if we lost or won?" he asks loudly.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Somber-Looking Human

    A battered-looking human male, brown-haired and of a medium build, sits in the underground twilight on the gnoll's left. He grins wryly. "I'd say we lost," he murmurs out the side of his mouth, "as it's more'n passin' unusual for the winners to wind up in chains."

    He sighs inwardly. In retrospect, the Underdark was perhaps not the best place for a man of his talents. Still, he and the rest of the Silver Hand had very nearly made it back to the surface with the gear and baubles they'd found in Auzergrym's lair when the drow had hit them. The others would probably be here with him now if one of those thrice-damned-by-Beshaba crossbow bolts hadn't hit Thauvan's wand and snapped it, blowing the rest of the Silver Hand and half the darklings straight to the Nine Hells. Scorched, blinded and alone, he'd summarily been hit by no less than four crossbow bolts before sinking to the ground with their subtle posion running in his veins.

    And so here he was. He notes the latest additions to their sorry little cabal -- a reptilian humanoid and, Lady Luck smile, another drow. No real surprise there -- the dark elves were nearly as well known for their capriciousnes as their viciousness. He whispers carefully to the new faces.

    "Hoi, down the line. Be yerselves 'wake?"

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    human male
    Description: this man stands nearly six feet tall, with curly dark hair, blue eyes, and sun-tanned olive skin.

    Well then. Let's survey the damages...Tools? Weapons? Fellow Harpers? Torri?

    The man subtly checks himself and his surroundings out, looking for anyone he recognizes, for his pet, and for where they're keeping his belongings.
    If he sees any comrades, he'll get their attention with a slight nod or wink.
    _ravenloft campaign day 1_&&player: my paladin attempts to detect evil.&&dm: your head esplode.&&&&&&Andrea&&http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=1620&&

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiny Lizard

    Damn it. *DAMN IT! the lizard cried telepathically. *It had just been knawing at the lock in a futile attempt to break it, and had finally given up in frustration, pacing around its cage, momentarily taking pause to smash it's body against the bars every so often again trying to break them. *It had been doing the same thing every few hours or so after it had recuperated from the last bout, but was now so weakened and exhausted by its previous attempts that any chance to succeed was most definitely now gone.

    After a short while, after it had finally lay down on the floor of his cage, it noticed that someone new had come in. *Opening a single eye, it watched as the newcomers came in. *His stomach began to grumble at the same time, and as he shifted uncomfortably he asked the new lizard-human telepathically, Hey, you, new guy! *Hand me some bread!
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Blue-haired elf in elaborate, if dusty, blue robes

    The elf ended his meditative trance when he sensed his fellow captives begin to stir into wakefulness.

    He looked down again at his filthy hands and dirty robes and shook his head sorrowfully. *He reached up with one hand and felt the iron band surrounding his neck, and the chain that ran through the ring at the front of it. *And not a thing he could do about it...

    To human Hell with that thug Rafaros thought the elf, picturing the rogue who barged into the bathhouse and shackled him while he was totally unarmed. *I should have known he was traffiking in slavery! *It was poor planning indeed to have crossed him.

    For the umpteenth time, he looked over toward the grimlock porters. *He tried to spot his haversack among the gear and supplies the creatures were responsible for. *The sack was in the pile somewhere - he had seen Rafaros's thug hand it over when the drow slaver bought him. *The human and drow had spoken in undercommon, which the elf didn't know, but he was pretty sure the cursed rogue had talked up his wizardly status to make him sound as valuable as possible.

    He noted that among the new members of his chain gang were a gnoll, a pair of battered looking humans, some sort of lizard man, and a drow, of all things! *The gnoll and the nearer human conversed among themselves, so he assumed they were already acquainted with each other. *The human then called out to the chain gang in general, he assumed. *Were all the new prisoners from an adventuring party together?

    "I'm awake, fellow prisoner. *And you're wise keeping your voice low," whispered the elf. *He took a quick head count, wondering how many people were in this lineup, and how many were newcomers.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Trinark slowly clawed his way back to consciousness, which was a slow and agonizing process. And when he suddenly realized where he was and what happened, he to wanted to be unconscious again.

    NO! Dammit not again!

    He gripped the chain dangling from the collar around his neck. His knuckles bulged in the grip. "NO!" he howled at the top of his lungs.

    Trinark dropped the chain, and began pounding his fist on the stone floor. His shoulders begin shaking as he can't hold back the tears and grief any longer. "Its not fair!" He collapses to the floor, rolling on to his side. His sobs lapse into a soft moaning.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiny Lizard

    The caged lizard jumps as Trinark cries out and suddenly starts sobbing, and is not very pleased. *Damn Drow... *Too busy pitying itself to do something about its situation... *Suddenly, the tiny beast lets out a great deafening roar at the top of its lungs with quite surprising volume for a creature of its size from its cage, not only in disgust at the Drow's sobbing out of self-pity and cowardice, but also in its frustration at being trapped itself, his hatred towards his captors, and everything else he had been unable to release while trapped in its cage. *

    Suddenly feeling a sweeping wave of relief at releasing its pent of feelings, it growled triumphantly, and now set about sensibly trying to unlock the door of its cage, threading its long tail (which was actually twice as long as its body once uncurled) through the bars and using the tip of its... was that a stinger? as a lockpick.

    (Open Lock check, please)
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Blue-haired elf in elaborate, if dusty, blue robes

    The elf watches the drow suspiciously as it pounds its fists on the cold stone beneath them.

    He runs through his mind the list of spells he has prepared which do not require material components. It occurs to him that some other spells of his require rudimentary components that he might be able to find while captive. I must keep my eyes open for soot, iron powder, salt... oh yes, and any kind of wing feather. He scans the group to see if anyone has feathers adorning any of their clothing.

    No sense starving he reasoned, and reached out for some bread and water. The bread was hearty, though a bit stale. The water was potable, at least.

    Seeing the condition of his fellow prisoners, he surmised that he might just be the only uninjured and undrugged one. There was a human between him and the gnoll, so he offered a piece of bread to the man.

    "Here, you look like you could use this," he whispered. "My name is Thallios." Thallios pronounced his name with a soft 'th', as in the word 'worthy'.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Female Human
    (OOC: She's fairly tall, with long, though orderly, brown hair held back with a headband. She has striking green eyes and a determined look on her face.)

    The human opens one eye when the newcomers stir, then the other. She eyes the drow with some distaste, and the lizard man with some interest. Looking around the room, figures out who's new and who's not, and quickly counts the guards.

    She turns to Thallios, on her right, and says, "Hand some over here."

    To the drow, she whispers, "Shut up, you crybaby. Do you want to draw the guards' attention on all of us? They don't like whiners, as you'll quickly learn if you keep up that nonsense. You're a prisoner; get used to it."

    She gives the little lizard an appraising look, then looks for anything that can be used to subtly pick a lock.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The eyes of the supine lizardkin snap open. Orbs of inky blackness swim in his vision. A throb in his head does not improve matters...

    He is still hungry.

    The druid'ss pupils narrow into slits in the dim light. He swallows to clear a dry throat and discovers a binding around his neck. He moves a hand up to touch and examine the binding and realises he was in chains. A Druid of the people in chains like some beast.

    The cold fury that gripped him was like a splash of cold water which shook him into full wakefulness. He sat up and looked at the surroundings.
    Noting some other prisoners, his attention was on the drow guards and grimlock porters. Ssathiya's eyes narrowed as he silently vowed that the drow would painfully learn the folly of chaining a lizardkin. whatever their ability, they were yet another breed of pinkskin and the audacity of these lesser creatures to chain one of his ilk. Children of Semuanya. Bloodkin of the Dragons themselves. His nostrils flared and the spines on his back and neck grew erect.

    The growl of his stomach presses his mind to more urgent matters however and he sniffs around before reaching for the bread but not the water.Sniffing it carefully, he ventures a lick before deciding it was safe to consume. The taste of stale bread did little to improve his mood howver and he found himself craving for meat. His eyes lit upon the dog-man in chain and he remembered how the one he killed had tasted. Tough and stringy but certainly more fulfilling than the bread he forced himself to chew and swallow.

    He returns to studying the guards and surroundings as he moves over to Trinark and sits beside him. Rapt in thought, he did not notice the nudging in his mind or that Trinark was crying and shaking until an outburst from him drew his full attention.

    Momentarily taken aback, he asks,
    "Are you in pain? where is your wound?"
    Ryan Atwood
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The Gnoll looks at the caged lizard appraisingly. Turning to the human next to him, he asks "Do you think that lizard is meant to be food for those of us who don't eat bread? I could split him between the lizard man and myself."

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiny Lizard

    I'd like to see you try, runt, came the quick reply from the tiny lizard who, upon hearing the Gnoll's suggestion, took a momentary pause from its efforts to unlock its cage to turn its head, glaring and growling at the dog-faced humanoid menacingly. *Damn arrogant tallfolk... *Think that anything that doesn't have freakishly long legs is good for only one thing, and that's for food... it thought as it resumed its work with a final snarl. *Realizing it still hadn't recieved its food, it called telepathically to the lizard-human (whatever it was, it was a reptile and hopefully more likely to be a friend). *I thought I told you to get me some bread! *Do you need me to show you how, or what? it snapped, as, despite releasing much of its tension in its roar, it was by no means in any sort of a good mood.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Somber-Looking Human

    He accepts the bread with a nod and a strained smile, still keeping his voice low.

    "Tychus Helder. I don't suppose you're a spellcaster, friend? I've a scant few in my repertoire that don't require some sort of focus or component, but they've not bound our hands, so we might be able to use that to our advantage."

    He consumes the bread ravenously, taking the edge off of his hunger, and grins wryly once more after he's swallowed the last of it.

    "Much as I'm appreciating the hospitality of our darkling hosts, I'd say our chances of making it out alive are much better if we make a break for it before we have more guards to contend with."

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    "Ill met, I'm afraid, Tychus Helder. Aye, it is true I'm a wizard." Thallios looked around to be sure none of their captors were within earshot before he lowered his voice even further. "I have a handful of spells that I can cast, but those alone won't free more than myself. Unless I could get my hands on a bit of powdered iron... then maybe. Of course, freedom from these chains and escaping alive are two different things. And the grimlocks have my gear, and possibly yours as well."

    Thallios looked over to the striking human female, and nodded with a grim smile. He reached out a hunk of the bread to her. She was here before the others, but he hadn't learned her story yet. As he reached, he looked over to the guards again, to see if they had deviated in any way from their routine.

    "Their numbers are thinnest when they send off a team to collect more slaves," he added in a poor attempt at gallows humor.

    Hearing the gnoll's question about the strange lizard with the stinger for a tail, Thallios reflected that he had wondered the same thing the first time he saw the caged creature. But it most certainly is not meant for food, he was now sure.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    A couple of humans, an elf, a telepathic lizard with a chip on its shoulder, a grouchy gnoll, an emotional dark elf, and a racist lizardman - all find themselves sharing an undetermined fate as captives of the drow.

    The lizard uses its tail to fiddle with the lock to its cage, but the drow workmanship is of high quality and is difficult to pick.

    Meanwhile, the green-eyed human and the elf examine their surroundings for objects or materials that might be useful. Unfortunately, the stone floor is bare. Most of your possessions appear to either be lying next to the grimlocks or perhaps contained in the chests surrounding the lantern.

    Some of junior drow soldiers turn their heads to look at the crying drow captive, but most of the drow ignore the emotional outburst, and continue to eat and quietly chat. After a while, the lantern is turned down to just a minimal glow, and most of the drow settle down for a rest period.

    You have little to do but eat the bread and water provided to you and get to know your fellow captives. The more observant of you notice that small groups of six drow routinely leave and arrive in the cavern, presumably scouts or rotating guards.


  16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tychus Helder

    Tychus watches the guards carefully, looking hard for clues as to which one of them might be carrying the keys that would free them from the bindings around their necks.

    "I'm thinking," he says quietly to Thallios, "that 'tis better to die in freedom than under the lash, or rent apart in some arena for sport. If we can determine which of the guards is carrying the keys that will unlock these chains, I may be able to conjure them over here. The spellcasting does make significant noise, so we'd have to make some manner of distraction."

    He frowns. "Or mayhap I could charm one of the guards into giving us the keys and looking the other way while we bolt. Still, that's requiring a distraction. Have you a better idea, friend?"

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    After some sniffing and examination of his drow packmate, the druid determines that the drow was not crying from pain but merely crying like a hatchling that had its tail badly trodden on.

    Puzzled he wondered, why he would do so. The drow had certainly proved a fierce fighter and no coward many times. Remembering that he had been left by others of his breed for the spider-abominations, he wondered if the ordeal of being an outcast among drow was truly painful. It still disgusted him mildly. He resolved to wait a little longer before hitting him repeatedly to stop his crying.

    It was not improving his headache or the throbbing. As he relaxed his mind and massaged his temple he was startled to hear a voice. Remaining seated by the drow he twists around to the seeming source of it. Frowning at the intrusion of his mind he leans down until he is level to peer into the cage.

    He immediately recognises the creature within as some kind of tiny dragon. Eyes opening wide in surprise, he bows his head a little and formulates a reply.

    "Greetings. I am unfamiliar with the customs of your kin, kin-of-mine. How may I respectfully speak to you."
    He pushed the thought in draconic towards the creature.
    He sensed its frustration at being trapped and softened his features. He ran a clawed hand on the chain that chaffed at his neck. At the repeated urging, he will tear bits of bread and push them into the cage and examine the cage itself.
    Ryan Atwood
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    Thallios frowned wryly at the human's typical impatience. *Not that he wanted to be a drow prisoner any longer than necessary - but.

    "I agree, Tychus Helder; however, that doesn't mean we should throw all caution to the winds. *As far as charming a guard goes, try to remember that all elves, even drow, are resistant to such enchantments."

    Watching another handful of drow go out on some kind of patrol, Thallios decided to watch carefully and see if the same drow return or if it is a different group.
    EDIT: (Spot +2)

    Thallios clapped his hands together once, loudly. *The drow didn't seem to take any particular notice. *"Well, they really don't seem to care what kind of noise we make. *I suppose we can have a proper conversation."

    "I think we need to have a better idea what our assets are before we move. *I'm a wizard, though a young one, and I can also swing a rapier when I must and let loose the occasional arrow. *I was sold to the drow by an unsavory human merchant; a fat thug named Rafaros."
    *Looking at Tychus, he continued, "You, too, appear to have some spellcasting abilities but I don't know anything about our female friend here." he concluded, looking over at the tall green-eyed woman to his left.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Human Female

    The green-eyed woman thanks Thallios for the bread. "No, I don't have any spellcasting ability. My talents lie in other directions, the kind that are excellent for getting you on the wrong side of the law." She smiles briefly and knowingly.

    "However, if there was some way I could find a lock-pick, and if there was some way I could make sure the guards didn't notice us, I could spirit you away one by one. Of course, the guards would probably punish the rest of you for my actions, but that's the risk you take. I'm also a good climber, so if we escape with our equipment, we could presumably get out of the Underdark that way. I also have a way with animals. They've always liked me. And I'm very knowledgeable about the Sea of Fallen Stars coastal regions." She looks at the lantern.

    "If I managed to get my equipment back, I could excercise my talents more freely. However, working with what we have now..." She leaves it at that.

    "I'm Ginevra, by the way."

    She studies the rotating guards, trying to recognise the cycle of when they leave and come back, and trying to get a better idea of how many there are total. She also listens to the drows' hushed conversation, trying to figure out their plans for her and her fellow captives. (Listen modifier +6)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiny Lizard

    The lizard growled approvingly, munching contentedly on the bread. *It didn't know what exactly the lizard-human was saying, but it recognized the language the reptile was using as the language of his larger relatives, Draconic, as one of its former masters had tried in vain to teach it to it way back when, and also was quite pleased to note the respectful tone the lizard-human was using. *Feeling much better after the bread, it turned back to his benefactor. *Thank you very much for the bread, friend, but I regretfully don't speak Draconic. *Could you repeat yourself in common-speech? he said as politely as he could, trying carefully not to say or do anything that might offend this possible ally.

    It also added, after listening to the she-human speak, If you wish, you may use my tail stinger as a lockpick. It's not the best, but I would think it would work fine anyhow. It extended its tail towards the she-human in offering, letting it fall limp to her touch to allow her to weild it more efficiently.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tychus

    The man slaps his own forehead. "Tears of the Lady!...you are right, of course, my friend." He returns the wry expression. "As you may have gathered, I am eager to be out of this place, certain." He nods to the woman seated next to the wizard. "I am a poet of some talent, lady, and there is magic in my words; if you manage to procure a lockpick of some sort, I may be able to render you some assistance."

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Bah, why is it the weaker you are the more you talk? Hargut thinks to himself, then he grabs the collar and chain and puts all his effort into breaking it.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The lizardman's brow knit together as the little dragon admits to not knowing draconic and instead requests the common tongue. He wonders how this came to be so.

    "Greetings kin-of-mine. Distant our bond may be but recognise you as some kind of dragon, I do. A scaled creature of intelligence. If I may aid you, little brother..."

    He formulates the words slowly in common, in his mind. Not wishing any of the common speaking races to overhear him, he did not speak them out and pushed them mentally at the little reptile.

    He leaves the words hanging and inclines his head slightly before twisting back to an upright sitting position beside his packmate. Glancing at the emotionally overcome drow, he studies the surroundings in detail, the drow guards, the other creatures that served them and the prisoners. When he was done physically studying them, he hunched his kness up and hung his hands in the dark shadow in betwedd them. Hanging his head, he quickly starting muttering the words to the spell that would allow him to see the suras of magic. His eyes glow faintly as the spell completes and he raises his head and looks around for significant sources of magic.

    In the little time he had spent with his drow companion, he had found out that the drow embraced corruptive magic far worse than the surface pinkskins.
    Ryan Atwood
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The cavern is quiet as the drow observe a rest period, meditating in seated or kneeling (seiza) positions.

    As Tychus observes the drow, he decides that it is likely that the key (or keys) to the chains are likely held by one of the officers, rather than by the "regular" drow soldiers. As he watches the drow interact with each other, it would appear that there are two or three sergeant-level leaders under a higher grade lieutenant or captain.

    Thallios observes that when one set of six soldiers returns, a different set leaves. He calculates that this unit is probably composed of four squads, each containing five drow soldiers and a sergeant. The entire unit appears to be led by a single commander, who does not go out on "patrol" with the squads. At all times, at least one squad is out on patrol and another is responsible for securing the perimeter of the cave.

    Ginevra uses the lizard's tail/stinger as a makeshift lockpick and attempts to unlock its cage. She mutters under her breath as the drow device stubbornly remains locked.

    The gnoll growls as he worries his own collar, trying to rip it apart with his bare hands.

    Meanwhile the lizardman scans the area for magical auras. The packages by the grimlocks and the chests near the drow apparently contain magical items (many of which were likely taken from the prisoners). The lizardman is surprised to note that Ginevra radiates a faint magical aura as well.



  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    "Thank you for your help, little lizard," says the green-eyed woman absently after trying to unlock the cage. She then rambles off into a stream of curses.

    When she is finished expressing her frustration, she says,"However, it is likely that even with Tychus's help, I would not be able to free myself before I was noticed. If, however, some sort of diversion were to occur, I might be able to free myself and escape, and I could come back to free more of you later. From what I little I know of the drow, though, they may well punish you for my escape. I don't know.
    "What I do know is that I was traveling with two capable, strong companions before I was captured. I think they were able to escape, and if they were, they will probably try to rescue me. One can cast spells, the other is a capable fighter. I hope for their help soon, but I don't know how they would find this prison. I don't even know most of the way here, I only woke up just before they brought me in here."


    She studies the drow. "From what I can tell, there's only twenty-five drow. I don't know if any of them can cast spells. My companions might be able to deal with one patrol at a time."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiny Lizard

    This one must be smarter than the rest to recognize a dragon when it sees one and give it the proper respect, the lizard concluded. I thank you for your kind offer, but as this she-human is now working on freeing me from my cage, I would suppose that the best help you could give me, if you wish to do so, would be to watch out for her and make sure she is protected while she picks this damned lock. the tiny lizard suggested, more confident now but still cautious with its words. It continues to let its tail hang limp in the she-human's hands.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Human male

    Deciding it's time to speak up, Andrea introduces himself,
    "Well you all seem friendly enough - mind if I chime in?
    I'm Andrea, and I can handle creating a distraction, if you think you can get us free from these bonds. Still, these dark elves are smart (smarter than all of us, by the looks of it...), and they won't be fooled by my simple tricks for long...



    Also, Andrea looks to see if we're chained as a group to the ground or wall, or if we're only chained to each other.
    _ravenloft campaign day 1_&&player: my paladin attempts to detect evil.&&dm: your head esplode.&&&&&&Andrea&&http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=1620&&

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    It appears that you are chained to each other (except for the tiny lizard who has been locked up in a small cage). As a group, you are not affixed to the ground.

    You have been left in the center of the cave, roughly equidistant from any of the cave walls, which lie approximately 100 ft away in any direction.


  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    After a period of self pity, Trinark reaches deep down inside again and summons inner strength. *He takes a few moments to calm his breathing and pull himself together.

    He pushes himself into a kneeling position, scrubbing the tears away with the heels of his hands. *Glancing around his immediate area he notices the bread and water nearby. *Turning to his Druidic companion, "Give me a few moments, they we can talk about our predicament" he murmurs in Draconic.

    Trinark crawls over and breaks off a hunk of bread, gulping it down quickly. *He follows it with a long draught of water.

    [OOC: DR, Trinark will begin observing the Drow trying to hear any of their conversations or look to see if they are using Drow Sign Language.]

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    Thallios watched Ginevra attempt to pick a lock with nothing but a lizard tail. She must be a crafty operator indeed if she can open a lock like that. He decided not to interfere - she would need all the concentration she could get.

    The other human introduced himself as Andrea, and from the look of him, he was some kind of fighter-type. It reassured Thallios to know that the melee specialists like Andrea and the clearly agitated gnoll were ready to take action. "Andrea, I'm glad to know you. We may have to make our move soon, if an opportunity presents itself. I know not how long we'll be in this cavern before moving on, and our next destination could well be a drow city. Then again, perhaps an opportunity will arise while we march."

    Thallios looks closely at the packages near the grimlocks to see if anything was laying unattended that might be useful to the lockpicking woman. If it was within 45 feet, he could perhaps retrieve it with a simple cantrip. He also keeps his eyes open for any drow gear that might be temporarily unattended. Perhaps some unthinking drow mage had abandoned his spell components...

    [ooc] yeah, right! [/ooc]
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •