Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 749
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Lizardkin Druid

    The Druid snarls as he killed the drow crossbowman and was about to move when he saw, from his left, two balls of arcane energy shoot unerrringly towards him.

    The pain was agonizing as they hit him sending his muscles into spasm as he crashed onto the ground. The force of the impact knocking the remaining breath out of him. As the drow soldiers approached with chains before them and his vision began to cloud, his thoughts turned back to his mission.

    Recollections of a human hatchling and the doom upon her arose in his mind's eye. A dim memory of a promise made by a tenacious gnome. His only hope.

    Taking a rasping breath in, "ssSeh..th..raaa..", he moaned.

    A barely audible whisper as he shuddered. His face twisted with the agony of failure. It only lasted a moment before the darkness overtook him.

    He lay motionless as the drow surrounded him and bore him away in chains.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Yix

    God dammit... Yix thought to himself from his hiding place. *His instincts and brain were telling him to stay put, but his goddamn conscience just made him so jittery he couldn't stay in the same place and leave the others to whatever horrible fate awaited them. *He was much too locked in his own personal conflict to even really listen to Ginevra's message. *After a few moments (regretfully allowing the caravan to leave before he acted), the tiny dragon begrudginly gave in to his conscience and began carefully stalking the caravan as best he could, only hoping it wasn't too late. *He stops just before he leaves the cavern, looking back expectantly at his fellow former captives to follow.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tychus

    The bard grinds his teeth as he watches the lizardman's courageous charge and subsequent defeat. If only...

    "I will not let this stand," he mutters to himself, watching the drow drag the unconscious reptilian warrior off. How it ate at him to see any creature in bondage! And it could have been any one of them that the drow commander had chosen.

    "No," he says, long moments after the drow have disappeared into the darkness with their prisoners and cargo, "No. I will not let this stand." He spins on his heel and walks toward the chests, looking to Ginevra. "How long would it be taking you to get these open, Lady?" His face is stony. "We'll be needing our gear if we're to rescue yon lizardman -- and the gnoll, I s'pose," he adds as an afterthought, "and I'll be needing my sword to separate that drow's pretty head from her shoulders."

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra watches the departing drow in anger, then controls herself and turns away. Once they are out of earshot, she says, "Tychus is right, everyone. I'm with you in breaking out the prisoners, but we have to get our posessions back and formulate a plan before we can sensibly attack the drow. Right now, Yix, the little dragon, is the only way we can get into those chests without the risk of damaging their contents. If he'd come over here, I could probably get them open in two hours, and less time if the first chest I open has my lockpicks in it."

    Yix! Could you come over to me, please? We can't attack right away, or we'd all be killed. If I can get these chests open, we would all stand a better chance of survival, including you. And right now, you're the only way I have of opening these chests without the chance of damaging what's inside them. Ginevra looks towards the exit of the cavern, trying to meet Yix's eyes.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Yix

    Yix, grumbling at being forced to let the Drow and their captives get even further away and at literally being used as a tool, still recognizes the wisdom in the she-human's words, and begrudginly returns. Flapping his wings with no extra effort, he lands on the nearest chest and, with a sigh, drapes its carefully limp tail over its lock for the she-human to use.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    The thin, tired blue-haired elf dropped to his knees once the drow had vacated the cavern. "I am ever surprised by the cruelty of drow... the way she treated the lizard man. She was genuinely evil," he said, referring to the just-departed drow commander.

    Thallios was struck by the conflicting emotions of joy to find himself free again, and shame for having left the lizard man and the gnoll in the hands of the drow so easily. Would I have surrendered them so readily if they had been moon elves? he asked himself pointedly.

    He stood and turned toward the rest of the group and the chests. He cleared his throat as he approached. "I share your strong emotions, Tychus Helder. Ginevra, I have this drow dagger, which you are welcome to have. Perhaps it will aid you in opening these chests." Thallios held out the dagger for her to take.

    Addressing the two women who have recently arrived in the cavern, Thallios bowed slightly. "My ladies. I am Thallios Ilphunodel. Please accept my gratitude for your timely arrival and brave assault on our captors." Had he been clothed properly in his sturdy but handsome wizardly robes, the gesture may have seemed noble.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, the drow prisoner, watched impotently as his kinsfolk dragged away the lizardman, his sole companion and friend here in the Underdark.

    Trembling with helpless rage and still weak from the wounds he had suffered when he was captured, he collapses to his hands and knees, beating his fists on the cave floor.

    Eventually, he sags to the ground completely and rolls over onto his back. Shading his eyes from the slowly fading daylight, he mumbles to himself in Undercommon ...

    [hr]
    Ginevra uses both the tiny dragon's stinger and the drow dagger to work at unlocking the chests. It takes her only about an hour to get both chests open.

    As promised, the chests contain your gear, neatly packed away by the drow.

    The initial thrill of unexpected freedom fades as the daylight spell ends. As darkness descends upon the cave, a cold reality sinks in. You are lost in the Underdark with almost no idea how to get to the surface ...

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Frustrated and still quivering with rage, Trinark pushes himself up off the cold stone floor. In thickly accented Common he hisses, "We...must...follow. Take your...items, get ready."

    Trinark immediately looks for his longsword, his only important possession remaining. He will also examine the chain shirt to see if he could wear it until they free the Gnoll.

    [OOC: DR, is there anything left to eat? Did the potable water get overturned during the fight? Also, is Trinark's longsword among the items?]

    [OOC2: Please see the OOC thread also.]

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Just before the darkness spell ends, Ginevra spies her backpack, and picks it up. Seeing the light from inside, she opens the pack quickly and efficiently and pulls out her everburning torch. She then starts looking around with the torch for anything else of hers that might still be there, especially her cloak, her weapons, and her bracers.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiriel
    Tiriel watches the drow pass into the cavornous darkness until they fade from her sight. She marks their direction of travel on the stone floor the point of her long sword. Satisfied, she sheaths her sword and walks towards the others.
    When she gets close to Ginevra she folds her arms over her chest and smilies as she watches her friend struggle with Yix's tail to unlock one of the chests. It may work, but it looks absurd.
    She'll stay silent until Ginevra finishes, not wishing to break her concentration.

    When Thallios introduces himself, Tiriel tries her hardest not to laugh, the best she manages is a broad smilie.
    "Well met Thallios. You may call me Tiriel and I am truly sorry that I didn't get to engage any of the troublesome drow.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Yix

    His pride insulted and his impatience growing by the second, Yix was by no means in any sort of a positive mood. Very annoyed at this waste of time (at least, as he sees it, as he has no equipment and doesn't need torchlight to see), he looked straight at the Drow and demanded, You. Drow. What do you know of these tunnels? Where do your kin take captives?
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    Thallios considered the smiling, longsword wielding woman. Her sense of humor puzzled the elf for a moment, until he considered the handful of other adventurers he had met in his travels who seemed to become energized and enlivened after a fight.

    "Tiriel," he said, trying her name out. "I daresay you kept those grimlocks from interfering with Ginevra's inspired extortion scheme! We'll be getting to those drow soon enough." He looked over to the elf woman with the longbow. "And your friend's timely shafts prevented a slave bloodbath."

    When Thallios noticed his Handy Haversack among the gear in one of the chests, he grinned widely and snatched the sack eagerly. Though the sack bulged slightly and hung from his grip as if it carried a few pounds of gear, it actually contained an extradimensional space which he hoped contained his spell book, potions, scrolls, clothing, etcetera.

    He prayed silently Corellon Larethian, hear my prayer. Please help me to bring justice upon those who imprisoned me, and in particular the foul dark elves who shame us all, my evil cousins the drow. Thallios pushed the wooden hook that secured the sack through the leather loop one-handed, and threw the flap back from the top of the haversack. He reached in and felt around, his arm vanishing up to the shoulder as he bypassed the first few items he encountered and felt about for each of his belongings.

    He pulled his arm out, and in his hand was a corner of his fine blue robes. It was all there! Thank you Corellon!

    In short order, while others were still sorting armor and weaponry, and the mini-dragon flew about impatiently, Thallios was dressed and slinging his spell component pouch onto his finely-wrought belt.

    The last item he pulled from his sack was his rapier. The hilt detail was a beautiful leaf and grape motif, while the guard was crafted in an intricate web of grape vines. He closely examined the blade, and satisfied himself that the weapon was in good condition.

    He then offered his help to anyone who needed an extra pair of hands.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    grey_angel
    Guest in the Playground

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Si'rene

    * Giving Thallios a slight nod of her head, she says in an aggravated tone, "I am the one that helped save your ass," she grins. "I suppose we shall see whether or not it is a pleasure to meet you," she says with faux sweetness, her words dripping with sarcasm.
    * Turning to Tiriel, she continues, "I do not feel comfortable continuing this 'rescue' mission for the...." she snarls ever so slightly "...lizard. I firmly believe that we should continue on our way. We need to get out of the boundaries of the Underdark, as soon as possible."

    ((ooc: sorry i posted a little late. i had to work 12 hour shifts two days in a row.))

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    In the light cast by Ginevra's everburning torch, each of you is able to recover your possessions, seemingly undisturbed by the drow.

    Ginevra is happy to be reunited with her friends, the bold fighter, Tiriel, and the somewhat dour elf archer/sorceress, whom Ginevra introduces as Si'rene.

    Si'rene's point is well taken. Some would argue that pursuing a drow/grimlock force (almost three dozen strong) through the Underdark in the hopes of mounting a rescue is a fool's undertaking.

    Aside from Trinark or perhaps the tiny dragon, none of you have any attachment to either the gnoll or the lizardman. You don't even know their names. Neither gnolls nor lizardkin are particularly fond of elves and humans anyway, and it is doubtful that if the situation were reversed that a band of gnolls or lizardkin would risk their necks to save one or two human slaves ...

    On the other hand, none of you know the way out of the Underdark. An argument could be made that your best bet would be to follow the drow (if possible) at a safe distance, hoping that their path might somehow lead you close to the surface at some point.

    One might counter-argue that you would all be better off heading in exactly the opposite direction as the drow ...

    [hr]
    You introduce yourselves to each other and debate your next course of action while you recover your gear. Several of you seem to be fully equipped for an expedition, but others (like Trinark) seem to have little in the way of possessions.

    Trinark clutches a longsword to his chest, his eye sockets sunken and his cheekbones protruding alarmingly. His hair is filthy and matted, and a crooked scar runs down the side of his face. He tries not to look desperate, but he can't help casting sidelong glances at the rations the others' possess.





    OOC: None of you is badly injured. Please continue introducing yourselves, and work out whether you want to chase after the drow, or rest.







  15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tychus

    The bard's hopes soar as the chests are opened and he sees the familiar glimmer of his equipment in the light of Ginevra's everburning torch. He had been silently afraid that the drow had left them two boxes full of rocks, leaving them helpless and alone in the Underdark and essentially sealing their fate. Tymora be praised, such was not the case.

    He pulls his chain shirt from among the miscellaneous arms and equipment crammed into the chest and shrugged into it; he no longer feels quite so exposed. His amulet, his ring, his cloak, the small brown pouch of spell components, the handful of potions he called his own, and a wandful of healing magic -- all settle into their rightful places on him.

    And finally, his sword.

    He cannot help but grin as he pulls his swordbelt from the chest and buckles it about his waist, drawing forth the blade and acclimating himself to its balance again.

    "By the Lady's smile," he murmurs, hefting the sword and sliding it back into its sheath, "good it is to handle a blade once more." And in truth, he looks better; a flashing smile comes easily to his lips. He is among strangers, lost in the Underdark with little enough in the way of rations, having narrowly escaped a life of slavery among the drow -- and yet he feels more lively than he has in a long time.

    The bard moves to join his conversing acquaintances, giving a nod of greeting as he joins the group.

    "Tychus Helder, battle-poet, tale-teller and swordswinger, at your service." He grins infectiously, obviously in a fine humor. "My deepest thanks for your timely rescue, ladies. Tiriel and Si'rene, I believe, yes?" He delivers a sweeping bow. "We are in your debt. You have risked much to help us -- or help your friend, rather -- and certainly owe nothing to the two who have been carried off by the drow." His grin dampens a bit. "Sure and I have no love for the gnoll, myself -- nasty, uncouth beast that he seems -- but the lizardman shielded me with his own body in the fight, and I'll not be leaving a creature of such courage and spirit to the cruel pleasures of the drow. 'Specially not when I'm beholden to him in any manner."

    He shrugs. "As I said, you owe them nothing -- but I and several of the others, it seems, are bound and determined to track the drow and set the lizardman free. And, truth be told, there are worse things in the Underdark than the drow, things one would not wish to encounter with no more than a sword or two. Will you not come with us, and benefit from our blades and spells as we would from yours? If you are as lost down here as the rest of us seem, then any one direction's good as the other, and mayhap in tracking the drow we'll come upon one of the routes they use to reach the surface -- a way out of this forsaken place, to see the clear stars above."

    The bard is, like most others of his profession, perhaps a trifle garrulous; nevertheless, his tone is earnest and there is no mistaking the keen light of battle-lust that kindles behind his eyes.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Grumbling and swearing in various languages, Ginevra pulls out her dagger, shortsword, and crossbow. Sheathing the blades (and grumbling), she swings the backpack onto her back and hangs the crossbow from a loop over the top of the pack, and secures it--with one hand-- at the bottom, throwing in a few good curses in the tongue of the dwarves. She finds her cloak, though it seems almost invisible, blended in with its surroundings, and dons it, still grumbling, though this time in Elven. Her two throwing knives go up her sleeves, in sheathes, and her belt pouch, with a few useful potions (still luckily unbroken) clips onto her belt. Her bracers go on her wrists.

    She looks up. "Tiriel, S'irine, I agree with Tychus. It could easily be any of us being dragged away in chains now, even you or I. Besides, we don't know the way out of here, unless our friend here can guide us." She gestures to the drow holding the longsword. "Our best chance is probably to follow the track of the caravan to somewhere where we can get our bearings, then pick a direction and go that way. If we can help the prisoners along the way, good. I don't like seeing any creature in chains, no matter their race. Besides, the lizard-man is obviously a warrior, who would rather die than live enslaved."
    "Like Tychus said, we don't really know the way out from here anyways, unless you can direct us all to the... to the place I was captured. And the group of us, together, stand a much greater chance of survival than the three of us. And if all of them split up as well, they'll all lost very quickly and probably dead within a week. None of us can stand that on our consciences. We all need to help each other to survive."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Yix

    Yix, suddenly realizing his hunger, moves towards and quickly begins to devour the bread that had previously been set out for the prisoners. *After only a couple of bites, though, he chances a glance at Trinark, and is suddenly filled with pity, despite his hatred of Drow and selfishness. *After a few moments of internal conflict, he thrusts the bread in his claws angrily towards Trinark, glaring in another direction.

    Its clear he's been paying no attention whatsoever to what the others are saying.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    grey_angel
    Guest in the Playground

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Si'rene

    Crossing her arms across her chest, she looks at Tychus, annoyed. "Please, do not waste words on appreciation for my efforts in your rescue. Sucking up does not, in fact, suit you. I am, however, slightly please to make your humble aquaintance, seeing as I have no choice in the matter." Looking to Ginevra, Si'rene's hard eyes seem to soften. She turns back to Tychus. "Far be it for me to interfere in your burden of rescue reimbursement." One hand reaches up to rub her forehead in thought as she turns her attention to Ginevra. "However, if you are hell bound on rescuing said animal, I suppose I could be inclined to assist."
    Si'rene gently takes Ginevra's arm and guides her a few steps away from Tychus. "Let it be known that I have no loyalty to this creature, much less sympathy, and I am not keen on wasting arrows on him either," she whispers. "Tiriel and I came to rescue you. No one else." She pauses, turning to look Ginevra eye to eye. "So if you want to embark on such an obtuse quest, you know that I will help. Though do not expect me to enjoy, or take pride, in it."

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra, Looking Like a Wet Cat

    "Maybe I won't do it, if you're going to complain the whole way. You'll set us up to be noticed." Ginevra smiles. "However, I thank you for your consideration. I'd like to remind you that we all stand a much better chance of survival in one large group than many smaller groups. We need to stay together, and we all need to trust each other. And even having one person constantly complain can make it *lot worse for everyone. I know you hate the whole idea, but please, keepit to yourself." She moves away from S'irene and looks over at the drow holding the longsword.

    It could be a problem, getting him to trust us. Actually, it'll probably be more of a problem getting everyone else to trust him. Well, we have to start somewhere.

    Moving towards the drow, she says in Undercommon, "What is your name? Please, take some bread." She reaches down, and, taking the bread from Yix on the floor, lifts it up and offers it to the drow.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Andrea

    As the Harper gathers his posessions, he appears to be thinking his way through the situation intently. Once things are in order, he rises and turns to the fellow former captives and addresses them rather somberly

    "Greetings, companions. As Tychus here has made clear, it's only right to attempt to free the creatures. They are intelligent humanoids and well, frankly I'm embarassed at myself for this whole fiasco. Gods know that lizard man showed me how a warrior should act without his arms...
    In any case, I know none of you and so I have little say in the matter, but for myself... I'm following our eloquent friend here and hoping for a smile from the Lady on the gold coin.


    with this last bit, he nods toward the bard affirmingly. After a moment's pause, he perks up a little and gives a sly smile toward Ginevra,

    Oh, and worry not about following their tracks... I'll be upon them before you've got your bodice strapped up.

    he winks at the warrior woman and turns, inspecting the ground, walls, and even sniffing the air in the direction that the caravan exited the cave.

    survival: 10 + 8 = 18

    [ooc: well, he may not be able to back up his claim here. still, he'll take as much time as needed to get somewhere. hopefully the fact that there were a lot of them, and they carried unwilling hostages, will help...]
    _ravenloft campaign day 1_&&player: my paladin attempts to detect evil.&&dm: your head esplode.&&&&&&Andrea&&http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=1620&&

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Yix

    Yix, shocked and quite offended that someone else would even dare to take his offering to the Drow, nevermind take credit for it, demands from Ginevra, Ungrateful lout! How dare you steal food from a dragon!, puffing out his chest as he telepathically spoke in an attempt to look larger and more forbidding, his nose high in the air in disgust at the she-human's actions.
    Life may not be the party you wanted, but as long as you\'re here, you might as well dance.&&&&Going back and forth between a lot of places for the remainder of the summer, so expect posting to be at least semi-sporadic.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    As the elf checked the condition of his short bow and his quiver of arrows, he considered the skills and experiences that he'd accumulated over the previous few years. Testing the draw on his bow felt so natural, though his actual martial training had been minimal in his home village. In fact, he might have had no training at all had it not been for his lovely Arialthina who herself had been an avid sword fighter and archer. It was more than a little alarming to think about how many times over he'd be dead, had it not been for that minimal training.

    But eventually, after enough encounters, even a wizard's skill at martial combat improves. He was sure that in a fight, were he to run out of spells, he could adequately defend himself against the average orc soldier.

    Still, though examining his weaponry was now a mostly reflexive activity and the motions and sensations were familiar and even comforting, there was also a feeling of alienness to it. He wondered if he should make a point of enhancing those skills at some point, though it might slow the pace of his spell research.

    Satisfied that his belongings were just as servicable as when he was captured by that lout Rafaros, Thallios set them by his side and arranged his bedroll into a meditation mat. Since the others didn't appear to be actually leaving the cave, he decided that a little meditation wouldn't hurt. And if the others decided to rest, he'd already have a head start. He didn't need as much rest as a human, so even if they decided on a brief rest, he might be able to prepare more suitable spells.
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra glares at Andrea, then, not looking at Yix, says to the drow, You give thanks to our dragon friend Yix, here, for the bread. I hadn't noticed any remained. I wish you good luck. Ginevra stumbles somewhat over the Undercommon words. She then sits down, looks right at Yix, and thinks, Without you and your help, it is very likely that none of us would be free or even uninjured, you included. I am trying to help all of us, not just me, and not just him. She forms a mental picture of the drow. I am sorry that I offended; I uneducated in the ways of dragons. Your race has inhabited Faerun long before mine, and your culture and ways of living are much different from mine. I recognise our differences, and I am eager to learn more of your ways, if you choose to reveal them. I realise my limited understanding of your kind, and I again deeply apologise for any insult I may have given you.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra, Tiriel, and Si'rene debate their next course of action briefly but heatedly. It is obvious to the others that the three women know each other well enough to push each other's buttons as only friends or family can ...

    The three women were part of a caravan that was planning to cross the Glimmersea to get from Velprintalar to Telflamm, but before it could do so, it was ambushed by slavers. Most of the members of the caravan were scattered, killed or captured. Ginevra, being judged valuable, was passed on to the drow unit heading back to Undrek'Thoz. Thus, she joined the other "special" slaves that were being transported back to the Segmented City.

    Obviously, Tiriel and Si'rene escaped capture and managed to free their compatriot (inadvertently freeing almost all of the other prisoners as well), and they can lead the party back toward where Ginevra was captured. But even if they did backtrack, it might not actually be helpful, since they would still face the problem of being lost in the Underdark.

    It might be possible to follow the drow, though the stony terrain won't make it easy to do so. Presumably, the dark elves will be navigating a relatively safe path through the Realms Below. Whether it would be better to just trail the drow, awaiting an opportunity to break for the surface, or whether the party should risk their lives for that of a gnoll and a lizardman might be a debate that will have to be settled "on the road."

    [hr]
    Everyone is tired and perhaps a little cranky. It is agreed that it would be wise to take a brief rest before moving forward.

    The cavern has a single entrance, which theoretically should make it easy to defend, but as Tiriel and Si'rene proved, it is possible to defeat almost any watch or sentry if you are determined enough, so no one is eager to let their guard down completely.

    To avoid attracting too much attention, Ginevra douses the everburning torch while members of your motley group take turns catching some sleep. Some whispered conversations take place in the darkness.

    [hr]
    "I am Trinark of House Tel'von." The drow with the scarred face introduces himself quietly in Undercommon.

    "Thank you for the bread, but I am afraid that I seem to have little appetite ...

    "To make a long story short, the lizardman druid was part of a group of adventurers who rescued me from a pair of driders. We journeyed together, facing many obstacles and horrors, only to find a mind flayer awaiting us on the shores of the Sea of Starry Night.

    "Only the lizardman and myself refused to bargain with that unholy aberration. We wandered by ourselves for several days before being ambushed by those soldiers. The rest of our story you know.

    "So you see, we are bonded by circumstance, by a shared morality, and by blood that we have spilled together ... I really have no choice in the matter."

    He raises his sword into the darkness.

    "I swear, druid, in front of these witnesses that I will free you as you freed me once and as these strangers have freed me now. I will do this, or I will die in the attempt."

    He lowers his sword and falls silent, lost in his own thoughts ...




  25. - Top - End - #175
    grey_angel
    Guest in the Playground

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Si'rene

    Si'rene walks off by her self, obviously upset about the whole situation. It is understood that she will go along with what ever plans are made, whether she throughly wants to or not. She is, however, irritable and needs a break.
    She takes a seat on the floor of the cave with her back against the wall, facing the entirity of the cave and all its present inhabitants. She takes a paper and tloose tobacco out of her bag and proceeds to roll a cigarette.
    She is particularly fond of this tobacco. She happened upon it in a Market Place from a dwarven merchant. It comforted her during stressful periods, though she had been rationing it for some time now.
    She finishes rolling the cigarettes and places it between her lips. Taking out a match, she strikes it on the cave floor, hiding the light with her hands. She inhales slowly and exhales with a slight sigh of relief.
    She props her elbow on her knee and runs her fingers through her short, silvery hair and ponders the upcoming quest with slight contempt. More stress than I need right now. But if it has to be done, it has to be done.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiriel
    Not liking how her two friends have handled the situation, Tiriel decides that, yes, this is a time to be serious.

    She walks through the darkness to where the drow lays and wispers, "I don't know if you can understand me but if you do, then please answer; it will speed our departure.
    "The question of the hour is this: can you guide us out of the Underdark? If you can, then everyone will be more willing to help you find and rescue your lizard friend."


    OOC: this is in common.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark looks blankly at Tiriel, but when Ginevra translates, he shakes his head sadly.

    "Perhaps if we get closer to Undrek'Thoz, I will recognize some landmarks. I am not sure how long I was unconscious, but I assume that we are not more than a few days from the Glimmersea. More than that I can not say without a chance to get my bearings ..."

    He stands suddenly.

    "The longer we wait, the farther away the soldiers will be. Shall we be off?"



    OOC: Marching order?




  28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tychus

    The bard's mouth quirked slightly at being referred to as a "suck-up", but he refrained from response. The woman seems...abrasive, self-interested. But it is, of course, naive to assume that every potential alliy might share his views and his temperament. This Andrea, however -- he is both a bard and a follower of the Smiling Lady. The two of them might well establish some common ground. And both Thallios and Ginevra showed both initiative and good sense in attempting to escape the bonds of the drow; if he is going to trust anyone, he would likely do well to trust them.

    With a bow, he had withdrawn from the group and made his rest some distance away, regaining the fulness of his spellcasting abilities.

    As the group gathers later and begins to move towards the mouth of the cavern, Tychus makes his way towards Thallios and falls in step with the elven wizard.

    "Hail and well-met once more, friend," he murmurs in lightly-accented Elven, stretching and making certain his sword is loose in its scabbard. He nods in Si'rene's direction subtly. "What do you make of that one? Her friends seem willing enough to go along on our little quest, but I cannot shake the feeling that she is...unreliable." He snorts and shakes his head. "Likely it is simple prejudice, on my part. I do not take kind in particular to the rude. Have you all your spells prepared then, my friend?"

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    The elf closed his eyes and pressed his palms against his knees. It was a part of his own personal ritual and a way to bring his study to a close. He then shut the cover of his spellbook and fastened the strap that secured it.

    As he assembled his belongings again, folding the bedroll and checking the vials of potion and scrolls that he wanted to keep within reach as they travelled, he thought about his role in this little make-shift party they'd assembled.

    From his observations, it was clear that the human men were both bards and at least one of them was also learned in combat. The elf woman, with the tendency toward foul-temperedness, appeared to be a spell caster of some kind. As far as he knew, the four of them were the only ones with spellcasting abilities.

    Thallios began to consider the most effective way to support his comrades when they came upon the drow party.

    When he walked toward the cavern's exit, Tychus came up alongside and greeted him. It didn't strike him as at all odd that the human was speaking elven... didn't everyone?

    "Greetings Tychus Helder," Thallios replied. Responding to the bard's question about Si'rene, he said "She's a curious one. I do think she nearly laughed at me earlier. But despite her bluster, the fact that she came to the aid of her friend speaks volumes. And besides, Ginevra seems a dependable sort."

    "Ah, yes, I prepared my spells. I'm about as prepared as I can be, though I fear my collection of arcana may not be suited for the underdark. I have a few buffs to dispense, and I'm trying to decide to whom they should be applied, and when..."
    Thallios shook his head, as if to say, 'enough, I can't decide so I will wait.'

    He looked around at the assembly as they formed up in order. "So how did a devotee of the Smiling Lady end up in these glorious halls?"


    OOC: the above assumes we did indeed get our needed rest. Thallios will form up beside Tychus, preferably near the center of the group where a mage belongs. ;-)
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra awakens, yawns widely, and listens in on Thallios' conversation, though only understanding a few scattered words. She quickly and efficiently packs her belongings and checks the locations of her blades, her crossbow, and the few potions she has. Then she ambles up to the forming group of mismatched would-be rescuers and takes a position at the back, where she could watch everyone and make sure the group wouldn't be ambushed from behind. She could also slip off into the shadows if need be.

    (OOC: Back*stabbity*! ;))
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •