Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 749
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Drow Trinark, Cleric

    "I do not recommend that you underestimate the guards, whether they are with the slavers or not. Drow are known for traps and deception. They could be expecting an attack, or they could have moniored us following them. Is is possible they have set up an ambush, expecting us to attempt a rescue."

    Trinark waits patiently, occasionally glancing over his shoulder.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiriel
    Tiriel smilies at the thought of Yix trying to take on the camp. While she does admit that his size will allow for sneaky movement, she doubts he would be able to subdue the two dozen grimlocks and the drow alone.

    Yix, is there a place where I could look at the drow without being seen? Tiriel asks, if not, do you recognize them or their armor...?
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Andrea


    [color=Blue]Our dark -- companion... is right. The drow camp will surely detect any pincer attack far in advance. Their senses, especialy their dark sight, are fine enough to spot us with or without our torches.

    As for the two guards, I say we go for a two-part attack. I will lead a small direct strike while the rest stay well behind, ready to move in if we're ambushed.
    _ravenloft campaign day 1_&&player: my paladin attempts to detect evil.&&dm: your head esplode.&&&&&&Andrea&&http://www.campaign-blog.com/view.php?id=1620&&

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra translates Trinark's words to the rest of the group. "I still think that at least me and Yix should sneak in. I'm probably the only person that could free the lizardman and the gnoll, and certainly the one that could do it fastest. And Yix, as he said, could take out many of the drow.

    However, I think we should refrain from knocking out the sentries, we would want to draw the encampment's attention away from our activities, and the best way to do that would be for the sentries to call for aid."
    Again, she translates this into Undercommon.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    "I can make two persons invisible, which may help greatly. But remember back in the cavern? The commander used an alarm ward to babysit us. Surely there will be at least one ward between us and the prisoners," he warned.


    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    The tunnel is 20 feet wide at this point, zigzagging irregularly. It is the zigzags that have prevented the sentries from being aware of your approach.

    Yix explains telepathically that the two drow sentries have chosen a vantage point that allows them a clear view of about 60 feet of relatively straight passageway. It would be difficult to get close enough to observe them without their being able to see you.

    There are rock formations scattered about the passage that make it impossible to charge the drow outpost. Futhermore, the two drow have positioned themselves so that the rocks provide partial cover.

    Yix has been able to peek at them around a stalagmite without being detected, but the tiny dragon was unable to determine exactly what unit the drow are from. It seems likely, however, that they are indeed the drow you have been trailing.

    [hr]
    Ginevra proposes that she and Yix sneak by the sentries to locate the main group of drow and grimlocks. Once this has been accomplished, the others can mount an attack against the sentries, who will presumably raise an alarm, which will hopefully draw attention away from the gnoll and lizardman prisoners. Invisibility would obviously help.

    Thallios wisely warns about the possibility of an alarm ward surrounding the prisoners. There is also the question of how the main party will know when it is the right time to spring the attack against the sentries ...

    As you "listen" to Yix's description of the situation, some of you wonder if there is any way that the two drow can be ambushed and subdued or killed before they can raise an alarm - a simpler but possibly riskier strategy.








  7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios

    Thallios worried that they were under pressure to act immediately, which could result in mistakes due to poor planning. But, there was no telling how soon the drow party would move out again. And once they were on the move, it would be challenging to pace them in their own territory without being discovered.

    No, he concluded, it must be now.

    "Consider this plan: I will cast an illusion to make Ginevra and one of the others invisible. You will sneak up to the drow sentries, then distract them with noises or something. Yix will take the opportunity to blindside them with his poisoned stinger. Then, the three of you can infiltrate the camp. If the opportunity is right, you make your move." He looked around to gauge the reactions of his new companions.

    "The rest of us must be ready to act instantly if you need us. But with any luck, you'll be able to slip in and do your work undetected. We need to time things so that once you're in place we can draw their attention away, perhaps by simulating an attack on the (now-dead) sentries. We will kill whoever emerges from the camp, creating an even bigger diversion."

    He knew the plan was somewhat flawed, but the group seemed to be suffering from indecisiveness. Perhaps his proposal would simply serve to inspire better ideas from the others.

    "We need to determine who's most qualified to join Ginevra in the camp, who would not detract too much from our ability to slay the drow who respond to our distractions. Also, does anyone have a silence spell or some other way to help disguise our invisible friends? Better still, a method of communication?"
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  8. - Top - End - #218
    grey_angel
    Guest in the Playground

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Si'rene

    She rolls her eyes and chuckles slightly at Thallios' mention of "who is most qualified."

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    Trinark listens to the discussion of tactics passively. Then decides to speak up.

    "May I also suggest we have a plan if folks are detected before the sentries are taken out. Trained Drow soldiers can be very effective. Also, I believe we Drow can see further in the dark than you realize. I can demonstrate if you like."

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    You huddle together, whispering in the darkness as you jointly formulate a plan. The everburning torch is kept partially covered so that the sentries don't spot any illumination from your position.

    It has been at least a day or two since the pursuit began, and everyone seems to have fully recovered from any wounds that had been inflicted from the drow crossbow bolts. Some of you are impatient, wanting to act right away, while others recommend caution ...

    [hr]
    A plan begins to take shape:

    Ginevra and Yix are assigned to take out the sentries. Between Ginevra's backstabbing skills and Yix's poison, it is hoped that the sentries can be taken down quickly and quietly.

    Si'rene stands, and her haughty glare makes it clear that she will accompany Ginevra into the drow encampment, which is presumably nearby, once the sentries are eliminated.

    Andrea, Tiriel, Thallios, and Yix willl remain behind while the two women infiltrate the camp. At some point, the main party will create a diversion, hopefully drawing the drow away from the gnoll and lizardman prisoners, allowing Ginevra and Si'rene to free them.

    And then ... well, only Tymora knows.


    OOC: If there are any other ideas or reservations, now is the time to voice them. Thallios has to choose who to make invisible, and any buffs that will be applied need to be specified ...

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiriel

    Tiriel frowns slightly as the "plan" takes shape. She realizes the practicality of her two friends sneaking into the camp w/o her, but she'd rather not be alone with a group of strangers. It's not that she doesn't trust the group's intentions, she'd just rather know them and their abilities first.

    Nor does she believe that a cleric is more adept at "sneaking" than she is...None the less, she prepares herself for the upcoming conflict. She mentions that she can caste daylight again if needed.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra acts as translator for Trinark, describing the plan to him. She motions S'irene and Tiriel over to the other side of the passageway, making sure that the rest of the group covers the torch. A whispered conference passes between the three women, with all three finally straightening up and returning to the group.

    It's a good plan. Tiriel's not going to like it, but it'll probably work. She just doesn't want to be left out of the fun.

    Ginevra smiles, and fiddles around with her theive's kit, moving some of the lock picks into her belt pouch, where they will be more easily accesible, wrappping them in a piece of cloth from her kit so they won't make noise as she moves.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios sprinkles silver dust in a circle around Ginevra and Si'rene. The two women kneel while Thallios murmurs, waves his hands, then places a dab of gum arabic on each of their foreheads. The two women vanish from sight.

    "Good hunting," whispers Andrea as Ginevra and Si'rene stalk off invisibly into the darkness ...

    [hr]
    Almost immediately, the two women run into difficulty. Since neither can see each other, they find themselves either bumping into each other or losing track of where the other is. Out of necessity, the two of them are forced to hold hands.

    The second problem becomes apparent as soon as they follow the tunnel around the next bend. Neither of the women can see in the dark! Yix hovers in the air ahead of them, trying to coax them forward with telepathic directions, but neither Si'rene nor Ginevra are able to sneak very effectively without being able to see the ground beneath their feet. Both of them keep stumbling over rocks noisily.

    All three soon realize that even if they were to make it to the drow sentries without alerting them (unlikely), they wouldn't even be able to see the drow in order to attack them!

    [hr]
    Frustrated, the "strike team" backtracks to the main party. A quick whispered conference ensues ...



    OOC: The plan will need some minor modifications. Any ideas?

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    Thallios selected a stone, a palm-sized one with reflective specks in it, and held it in his left hand. With his right, he drew from his spell component pouch a bit of pinkish moss, which glowed faintly, illuminating the flap of the pouch as it came out. He smashed the moss onto the rock and softly spoke a few arcane power words. The stone began to radiate light, faintly at first, but soon it was lit as brightly as a small lamp.

    He held the glowing stone out, and said "Si'rene, you can levitate this somehow? Use it to light up your way and reveal the location of the sentries? I'll follow, as far back as I can, and when I spot them, I'm going to place a fireball right between them."

    The elf looked at the others, the ones who were visible. "Somebody should come with me, somebody who can take out any survivor at range. The rest of you should get into position to kill anybody who comes to retaliate."
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Companion

    It seems like I am going to have to be the sacrifice again. *I sure hope Ellistrae is watching.

    "Perhaps we could try another route, instead of waking up half of the Underdark with explosives? *Here is my alternate suggestion. *I will serve as the bait. *I will move forward with a light, then appear to collapse in the passage way. *The sneaky folks who are already invisible can be ready to attack the guards when they approach to investigate. *And since I will have the light, they will be able to see and operate normally."

    Trinark looks down at his clothing, or lack thereof.

    "See...I already look like something a Hobgoblin dragged in."

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    Thallios nodded, "If you think the sentries will take the bait and not raise an alarm, then great. But, the ladies need to stay invisible to free the lizardman." He looked over at Yix, the tiny dragon. "Yix, if Trinark can distract the sentries, can you take them out quickly?"

    "We need to decide now. In the interest of time, I'm for a fast elimination of the sentries. However, Trinark suggests a more subtle approach using him as bait. Ginevra, Si'rene, I think you should decide. You only have about 5 minutes left..."


    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark volunteers to act as bait, and Yix agrees to back up the drow.

    Tiriel seems almost amused by the party's lack of disorganization, but she places a hand on the hilt of her longsword and nods that she is ready, whatever the plan is.

    Andrea frowns, uncharacteristically silent, but he agrees to go along with whatever the rest of the party wants. Tychus, also, has no objections.

    Ginevra and Si'rene remain silent at first, and you can imagine them both shrugging with indifference. One of them finally whispers, "Whatever. Let's just do this."

    [hr]
    Trinark takes the softly glowing rock from Thallios, musses up his hair, and does his best to look even more disheveled than he currently is. Meanwhile the other members of the party prepare themselves using a variety of protective spells.

    Trinark looks around to make sure everyone is ready, then takes a deep breath and stumbles around the corner, holding the glowing light as if it is some kind of cursed item. He staggers down the passageway, dragging his sword behind him as if he lacks the strength to lift it. About halfway to the sentries, he collapses onto the ground, letting the light-imbued stone tumble out of his hand.

    Ginevra and Si'rene, who remain invisible for now, observe the sentries' reactions. The two drow soldiers crouch down behind some protruding rocks, peering suspiciously at Trinark's inert body, which lies some 30 feet from them.

    Instead of approaching, however, one of the soldiers raises a light crossbow and aims it at Trinark. The other soldier stands and looks like he is about to head back for reinforcements.

    "They're not buying it!" hisses Ginevra.

    [hr]
    Dammit! thinks Thallios.

    The elf quickly steps around the corner. His eyes are keen enough to be able to spot the drow sentries at the edge of the illumination from the rock.

    With a cry and a pointed finger, he sends a small glowing dot streaking towards the sentries. Before they can react, it detonates with a tremendous BOOM!

    A blast of heat buffets Trinark as he lies huddled on the ground. He raises his head then scrambles forward. Reaching the large rocks, he sees that the sentries didn't have a chance - both appear to have been killed instantly.

    Trinark hears footsteps approach from behind him. He whirls only to see no one but Thallios far down the passageway.

    Ginevra and Si'rene laugh as they sweep by him, their passage marked only by the sound of their footfalls and by subtle disturbances in the smoke filled air ...

    [hr]
    Trinark takes up a defensive position behind the rocks and is quickly joined by Andrea, Tychus, Tiriel, and Thallios who scoops up the glowing rock as he approaches. Yix flies a short distance forward, and hides in a rock crevice in the ceiling that offers an excellent view of any approaching drow. Put out that light!





    OOC: Thallios casts fireball. Both drow make their Reflex saves (+2 due to cover), but the fireball does 6d6 damage to each of them, and even half damage is enough to kill both of them (10 points and 11 points respectively).

    Please make clear exactly what preparations are being made by the "visible" members of the party. Also please indicate exactly who has been buffed with what.

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    Frelling drow! swore the elf to himself. Can't count on them to be sloppy or careless.

    He scooped up the glowing stone and quickly glanced ahead in the direction Ginevra and Si'rene were headed. The party still had the everburning torch, in case they need light, so Thallios hurled the stone as far down the passage as possible to give the ladies light as they navigate the last portion of their trip to the drow encampment. That should take care of it, little dragon! he sent his thoughts to the dragon.

    Turning back, he moved quickly past the first-line defenders, and took up a position behind some rocks where there was some cover. He made sure he could benefit from partial cover while casting combat spells as needed.

    Once in position, Thallios set the everburning torch within reach, ready to activate it when needed. He then checked his longbow and arrows, to make sure they were ready for use and would not get hung up in his robes. Once he ran out of spells, he would need the weapon...

    (ooc:
    Ginevra & Si'rene - protection from evil
    Thallios - Mage Armor
    Andrea - Bear's Endurance
    Tychus - Bear's Endurance
    Don't forget about the OOC thread, people!)

    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra laughs softly as she moves catlike past Thallios, Trinark, and the dead sentries, amused at Trinark's reaction, and enters the corridor beyond, looking around for hidden drow. Through no one can see her, she wrinkles her nose at the smoke and scowls.
    Damn smoke. It doesn't help me at all. The drow won't have any trouble seeing in it, of course. Think, Ginevra! They had some sort of alarm last time. You won't be able to see it, you'll have to work quickly.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios hurls the glowing rock down the passage to help illuminate the way for his invisible compatriots.

    The rock bounces once ... twice ... then disappears with a splash!

    Tiriel and Si'rene are plunged into darkness once again, but there is enough faint light emanating from the stone for them to see that the tunnel slopes downward gently here and that it appears to be filled with water to a depth of about two feet from here on out.

    The tunnel goes on for as far as the two women can see. There is no sound from up ahead and the water is still.

    After checking the situation out, the two women backtrack and call for the other members of the party to approach with the everburning torch.

    [hr]
    The tunnel seems to continue on in a nearly straight line for as far as Trinark and Yix can see. Yix quickly scouts ahead then returns with news that the tunnel rises up out of the water about 200' up ahead. The tunnel then opens up into an enormous cavern.

    Quickly! Yix urges, The drow can not be far ahead!




  21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark (a.k.a. The Bait) - Drow Cleric

    [OOC: To be clear, Trinark casts Shield of Faith on himself after the "incident" with the 2 guards. Which brings his effective AC up to 13.]

    Trinark whispers before they continue, "I'm no warrior, don't expect me to lead the charge!"

    "We should proceed quickly before our pre-cast spells expire."



  22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rei_Jin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tychus

    The long silent Tychus speaks up.

    "Indeed. But before we go running into what is most probably a trap, we at least need to come up with some kind of battle strategy. We know they are intelligent, well prepared foes, and they have the "homeground" advantage as it were, we need to find ways to take that away from them.

    I suggest a couple of silence spells focused on rocks before battle can be carried in and thrown into the area where spellcasters are, at least it will give us a chance to get into melee with them.

    From there, I can cast Glitterdust if need be to help with sighting difficult foes, and I can disarm anyone who runs at me with my trusty whip.

    What else have we got?"

    {w00t, first post here! Hiya guys, hope to be of some use!]
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    "Tychus Helder, I like your idea - after all, a silent stone makes no 'thud,'" he joked in a whisper. "But remember, the drow soldiers must have heard the explosion - at any moment the drow should come at us, and here we stand in the open!"

    He worried that by coming to the water's edge in response to Ginevra's call, they may have fatally revealed their position. He looked around for cover.

    [SPOT +2]
    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    Ginevra whispers, "Be careful with your glitterdust spell. If S'irene or I were caught inside the spell, it would effectively end our invisibility, which we would need to give us the advantage."
    And we dearly need that.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Tiriel
    Well...it's been an exiciting day so far. Tiriel can't help but think that this resuce attempt is going far worse than the last one. She looks at the standing water and sighs, it doesn't look like there is an easy way to avoid it....
    She looks at the others, "There's no way but forwards," she says before steping into the water and slogging her way up the tunnel.
    (she'll focus more on making less noise than moving quickly through the water. Dragging her legs instead of highstepping maybe???)
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark has salvaged some gear from the charred corpses of the drow sentries. He throws on a charred chain shirt and helmet. He also slips on one of their packs, tucking his longsword through its bindings over his shoulder, where it can be easily accessed. The drow armor transforms him from a scruffy derelict back into a respectable representative of a proud race ...

    [hr]
    With Yix flying ahead, you wade cautiously forward through the waterlogged tunnel, until the grade slopes upward out of the stagnant liquid.

    The everburning torch is kept dark and, because many of you lack darkvision, you form a daisy chain, keeping hold of the person in front of you until Trinark and Yix signal everyone to halt.

    A faint greenish glow in front of you marks the opening to the next cavern. Apparently, something is producing some luminescence in the chamber, providing some relief from the total darkness.

    [hr]
    Si'rene and Ginevra sneak forward toward the opening and are able to peer into the cavern. They report seeing a vast gallery filled with massive luminescent fungi. They see no signs of any drow or grimlocks ...

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orange Co. California

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios, elf wizard

    The elf pressed onward under protest. He felt that continuing to move en masse toward the anticipated drow encampment constituted an unecessary surrender of control. But it would make no sense to resist the will of the group and split off from the party.

    He thought about the sentries they just took out. One of them was clearly headed in the direction they now followed. He must have been headed for other drow soldiers.

    With the light from the phosphorescent fungi, Thallios was able to let go of the person ahead of him.

    Then, fearing a possible illusion or other trap, he quietly cast Detect Magic.

    Characters:&&&&Thallios Ilphunodel&&Harn&&&&And so Arthur and Bedevere and Sir Robin set out ... to find the enchanter of whom the old man spoke in scene 24.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maryland

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Trinark, Drow Cleric

    "Someone should take a look inside. I have seen chambers that hold large quantities of fungi before. I have heard stories of things called "groves" on the surface. I think it may be similar. This could be a source of food, and why it was being guarded."

    Poorly guarded, but guarded none the less.

    "I can go if no one else volunteers..." Trinark whispers.

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Ginevra

    "I'll come with you, Trinark," whispers Ginevra, just ahead of Thallios. "No offense, but I don't trust this place, and I don't want anyone to get hurt, except the captors of our friends. Everyone needs someone to watch their back, including you and me."

    If it's a food source, then why wasn't it more heavily guarded? There's little enough food in the Underdark, to be sure...yuck. I still wouldn't want to eat that.

    To everyone else, Ginevra says, "If Trinark would like me to, I'll go with him. I don't trust the Underdark, I don't want any unnecessary injuries, and I certainly don't want anyone getting separated from the group or worse, killed."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: A Light in the Darkness [IC]

    Thallios scans the "forest", finding it more mundane than arcane. It does not appear to be an illusion. The giant mushrooms stand anywhere from 6 to 10 feet tall, with wide trunks. Their gentle phosporescence is greenish-yellow.

    [hr]
    Before Trinark move forward into the cavern, Si'rene puts her hand on his chest. She and Ginevra are no longer invisible, but the elf archer will accompany her friend regardless.

    [hr]
    The rest of the party waits at the cavern entrance, keeping out of sight, while Trinark, Si'rene, and Ginevra slip inside. Ginevra keeps to the shadows. Si'rene keeps an arrow nocked and ready to fire.

    The three of them spread out, but remain in visual contact. They approach the forest cautiously.

    A familiar voice calls out from within the fungus forest, "Are you lost, my friends?" The words drip with sarcasm and disdain ...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •