New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Last Redoubt

1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Last Redoubt

Dreamcatcher takes a moment to center himself, then returns closer to the wall to examine it more closely, running his metallic fingers across a pair of cracks either side of the stone. "It's almost like a doorway, but I don't see any sort of moving parts. Perhaps it responds to a mental signature? Or perhaps we could break it down."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

"That could be problematic. If there was a hinge or something, I could blast it, but this just looks like solid rock to me..." On a whim, Niev knocks on the stone a few times, - trying to judge the thickness, at least, since she didn't really expect anyone to answer. "Should we just try to shove it open?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"It will certainly attract attention. Are we trying to be stealthy?"
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't see how there's any point to sneaking up on a telepath in its own home. If you have something that will knock it down, now is as good a time as any..."

5. - Top - End - #305

AssassinGuy

Reason shrugs and glances at Dreamcatcher. "I just assumed you could knock it down, given enough time. Draw attention from the telepath, too, probably. I suppose I could give a shot at blasting the door open. Of course..." She knocks on the wall half-heartedly. "I'm still curious how the door is supposed to open. After all, a telepath's got to have a way to open it."
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure that's true, but I'm not much of a telepath. And if it responds to some sort of mental signature as the Seer suggested, I wouldn't even know how to start duplicating something like that. I suppose it could have some sort of mechanism on the inside." Prodding at the resonance stone, Niev opens herself to it, lowering her barriers against the strange emotion for a moment and giving it a mental tug.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #307

AssassinGuy

@Sallera
    Spoiler
    Show

Make an Intelligence or Charisma check (whichever)
    Drew

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma: (1d20+4)[9]
    -.- That's three in a row, now...
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-01-28 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #309

AssassinGuy

@Niev
    Spoiler
    Show

You reach out and attempt to touch the stone, but the address falls short. You think if you knew anything about using psionic items, you might have a better shot at this. But barring that...knocking might just be the best way through.
    Drew

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Niev withdraws her hand from the stone, shaking her head in an attempt to be rid of its influence. "It feels like there might be something in the resonance stone, but I can't quite find it. You might have better luck than I, Seer."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #311

AssassinGuy

@Dream
    Spoiler
    Show

I think you don't have Psicraft or UPD ranks, so if you want, roll Int or Cha

And remember action points
    Drew

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've got Spellcraft, if you'll let me use that instead.

(1d20+4)[18]

13. - Top - End - #313

AssassinGuy

As Dreamcatcher focuses on the stone, he momentarily brushes against something lurking beneath the self-satisfied contentment - a watchful malevolence that shocks his consciousness from the stone. But the damage has been done; the wall around the stone, and the stone itself, fades from view, opening into a narrow corridor, lit by a greenish fungus covering the walls.
    Drew

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, that went well," Dreamcatcher remarks, dryly, and starts down the hallway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Produce Flame still on?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

"Nice to be rid of that stone, anyway." Niev follows Dreamcatcher down the hall, the flickering light from the torch mingling with the greenish glow in a slightly nauseating fashion. "I suppose this is where the Doctor's run off to. The colour matches, at least."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #316

AssassinGuy

The hallway continues straight for about twenty feet before curving right and sloping downward. After about another thirty feet, the lights on the wall become sparser, and ahead, the group can see a wider open area.

All
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot, Listen

Dreamcatcher
    Spoiler
    Show

The duration's a couple minutes, so I think no.
    Drew

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, now this might be something interesting. Muffling the light of the torch with one hand so as not to announce their presence, Niev tries to see ahead by the light of the glowing fungi.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+2)[13]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[6]
    Last edited by Sallera; 2011-02-02 at 06:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

spot - (1d20+10)[16]
    listen - (1d20+4)[16]

Particularly over PBP, 'roll to see if something happens' really slows down a game. I think the Eberron Campaign Setting explicitly calls it out as something to avoid.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2011-02-03 at 07:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319

AssassinGuy

@Niev
    Spoiler
    Show

You can see only a flash of movement in the distant portion of the open area.

@Dreamcatcher
    Spoiler
    Show

You catch sight of a lime-green tentacle in the darkness, and hear voices speaking in a strange, nerve-wracking tongue.

It seems there is likely something just up ahead; Reason draws back to the wall and glances at her companions uncertainly.
    Drew

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Saw something moving. Not sure what. Quiet approach? Holding the torch behind her back, Niev carefully withdraws a dull red stone from a cloak pocket and glances at Dreamcatcher for approval before advancing.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Dreamcatcher has no objections...
    Hide: (1d20+1)[15]
    Move Silently: (1d20+1)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Looked like Kollos. If you wish, I am behind you

Spoiler
    Show
    Dreamcatcher, who is not terribly stealthy, hangs back and readies an action to Produce Flame if the tentacle-monsters appear.

22. - Top - End - #322

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

List (1d20+3)[22]
    Spot (1d20+3)[20]
    Drew

23. - Top - End - #323

AssassinGuy

Kollos, or the thing that looks like it, appears at the closest end of the open cavern area. He smiles at Niev. "Is that really you, child? And you brought friends! I hope you didn't have any trouble with L'kthk'ill's friends..." His smile fades slowly. "How did you convince them to let your friends through? I'm certain they had specific instructions."

His expression is puzzled, but there is a threatening air to his demeanor. And behind him, there are lurking shadows.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+14)[23]
    (1d20+14)[15]
    Drew

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like those Mockery cultists did us an unintentional favour. Apparently the trap wasn't supposed to involve you two... either way, I'd guess we've probably got about ten seconds till Kollos attacks.

Taking two steps forward, Niev bows her head slightly, trying to get a good look at Kollos' attendants. "They were most unpersuasive, as it turned out. Practically dead on their feet by the time we got there, wanted nothing more than to lie down. You really ought to hire watchers with greater stamina."

"But enough about that. You know why we're here, but I still don't know why you want me here. Don't tell me this is still about that prophecy?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamcatcher, true to his word, hangs back and does not move.

26. - Top - End - #326

AssassinGuy

Kollos laughs. "Of course it is. You're the first kalashtar we've seen in close to a century, madam. You're the key to saving the world. Of course...well, the people with their hands on the sword choose against which target it is aimed. But-" He glances to his left and shrugs. "I think that's enough talking."

Abruptly, he fades from view.
    Drew

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Damn. I don't suppose you have anything that could reveal him?

"The people with their hands on the sword ought to be aware of its nearer edge," Niev replies, addressing the empty air. "How does one shard of a Quori spirit make me so essential, anyway?" Mist dances around her fingers, but she has no one aside from the shadows to release it at, and she still can't tell what they are.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #328

AssassinGuy

The gnome reappears next to Reason abruptly, a blade sticking from her side. She whimpers and slumps to the ground. Almost simultaneously, a wave of...thought strikes into the still-conscious people, stripping away the highest levels of consciousness with its force.

@All
    Spoiler
    Show

Make will saves, and probably initiative.
    Drew

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

"Reason!" Niev spins around swiftly, hesitating for a moment as she tries to decide between helping Reason and attacking the Doctor. Agh! Can you pin those other... things? Or heal Reason?

Spoiler
    Show
    Will: (1d20+5)[10]
    Init: (1d20+2)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamcatcher shudders with the mental impact. I will try, he signals, extending a hand towards the darkness in a commanding gesture.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will - (1d20+5)[15]
    Init - (1d20+1)[21]

Attacking The Darkness with entangle.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2011-02-20 at 09:45 PM.