New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Redoubt

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Last Redoubt

All these passages... should probably carry sound better than they appear to be. Niev places a hand on Mari's shoulder. "I don't know about you," she murmurs, "but I haven't heard anything other than us in here. Maybe they're just hiding, or this mine doesn't carry sound as well as I think it should, but this might be a good time to start preparing for the worst."

The incongruous sound of bells a few minutes later is almost a relief, but it makes even less sense than the previous silence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will: (1d20+5)[11]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mari nods, trying to walk even more quietly, and places a careful hand on her sword. "Do you think - " she begins, before being interrupted by the bells.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[6]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Dead silent. But no sounds of fighting either.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[20]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mari and Niev
    Spoiler
    Show

After a moment, you realize how soothing the chiming is, a balm to the broken soul, and a calming influence.

It seems like a good idea to try to find the source; the fact that the other presumably did the same thing, and have vanished, seems unimportant.

You are fascinated, and must make another Will save.

Laskin
    Spoiler
    Show

You brush off the seductive lure of the bells, only to notice something...odd about them. Not that they are perfectly clear, but that they aren't echoing. In fact, the more you think on it, the more you think the chimes are all in your head.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

If we follow this, we ought to find something useful. Now if we could just find out where it's coming from... Halting, Niev turns in a slow circle, concentrating on the sound of the bells.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will: (1d20+5)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #36

Had Niev not stopped, she would likely have tripped over Mari, who halted abruptly enough to almost trip herself. "That must be…" she breathed, listening closely.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[15]
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2010-07-21 at 11:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Don't! Do not follow the bells. Listen, they do not echo. Whatever they are, they are in your mind. You must try to focus. Whatever befell the miners, I think its connected to the bells.

8. - Top - End - #38

AssassinGuy

While Mari and Niev can still feel the suggestion to draw closer to the source, it is no more than a niggling thought, a possible decision. Laskin's warning, if anything, weakens the hold of the unnatural draw held by the sound.

Still, the source of the bells seem the most likely way to determine what, if anything, has gone wrong.

And you do vaguely remember there being a larger gallery, an open area where the miners shared some of their more unique finds, as well as gathered for meals. If the source is mobile, it seems likely it would be brought there. If not, there's a chance the more resilient miners may have found their way there.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

9. - Top - End - #39

"Right, which is why we should find the bells!

…Do you remember how to get to that meeting place they had?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes... as long as we approach cautiously, I don't see why we shouldn't follow them. If we don't know where the gathering place is, then... all we need to do is give in to the suggestion." Niev takes Mari's hand and squeezes past Laskin, letting the hand with the torch fall down to her side.

"May as well look the part," she explains. "Whatever it is, it'll probably be expecting us, but as long as at least one of us is paying enough attention to know when we're getting close, we can stop before we reach it and scout properly." Niev starts walking slowly along, taking a route determined partly by the arrows and partly by the pull of the bells. "Let me know if I take any paths that don't feel right," she murmurs to Mari. "You can feel it too, right?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #41

AssassinGuy

It's strange; the sense is something like the old kalashtar game of "forward-back" -- you can tell when you get closer, and when you get further from the source.

But there seems to be a twist to the strange compulsion. Turning back towards the tunnels outside the mine elicits a feeling of wrongness, of pain and death. Either the source is more manipulative than you thought, or it has a sense of when its thralls are in danger and wants to prevent that.

If the latter, it's promising.
    Drew

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I will not be tempted by the bells. You lead on and I will be there to aid you if needed.

Laskin follows the pair, weapon at the ready.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Following the compulsion is almost pleasant, after a while, a soothing sense of direction that makes the task of navigating the narrow passages less arduous. Still, the jarring sense of danger Niev feels whenever she considers a turn that leads back to the exit keeps her from falling further into a daze. It's an odd contrast, so different from the subtle emotions the bells use to tell her when she's getting closer. "That noise we heard back at the entrance... do you think something's still behind us? I can't tell where the feeling's coming from, but if it's not just the bells..." Her voice still doesn't rise above a soft murmur; something about the place discourages normal speech.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2010-07-26 at 01:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #44

AssassinGuy

Slowly, the narrow tunnels give way to a wider gallery, and new noises join the chiming -- harmonies that twist and make a simple melody, and this close, the psychic song becomes something more.

Warm yellow light spilling over an impossibly large expanse of greenery, colorful specks of plant life scattered across the open space.

A woman handing a green stem topped with a colorful spray of leaves to a young man; he smiles at her, and your heart warms.

An impossibly dark space filled with bubbling steam nourishes a tiny, insignificant plant that twists slowly in the strange, liquid wind.

A flame, colored silver-white, bursts into life in the cupped hands of a human child.

Emotions flood over those gathered in the gallery, and this close, it is almost impossible to focus on the fascinated, unmoving groups of miners, for the sake of the singer. But they are arrayed around a crystalline object the size of a fist -- almost translucent, its surface is marked with streaks of midnight blue, and deep within, you can see blood-red swirls. The entire thing is illuminated with almost golden light that shines from within.

Laskin
    Spoiler
    Show

The ring of sound in your hand begins to make an ominous cracking sound.

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (arcana) or (the planes), if you wish.
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2010-07-26 at 12:54 PM.
    Drew

15. - Top - End - #45

"There could be two things, then. That don't necessarily like each other much. Maybe the bells are trying…" Mari's eyes have been closed, trusting Niev to keep her away from walls and focusing on the strange compulsion, but as they draw closer and the images grow clearer she opens them. "…It's beautiful," she whispers, before coming to focus on the crystal. What is that…? I swear I've…

Spoiler
    Show

Planes: (1d20+11)[13]
    Arcana: (1d20+6)[23]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Laskin hurriedly takes the ring off of his finger and drops it on the ground. He tries to focus and rid his mind of the images. I don't like this and its definitely no time to be distracted.
    I have no idea what that thing is but I don't trust it. Perhaps we should try to get one of the miners' attention and find out more.

Laskin looks for Chorad in the group of miners.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Niev nods, staring at the crystal. "Beautiful, yes, and such... promise. Surely this is something more than a simple trap..." She halts in the doorway, still holding Mari's hand, and not quite willing to approach any closer lest the wave of emotions take her in completely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #48

AssassinGuy

The ring of sound continues to crackle warningly as it strikes the ground. None of the miners seem to notice.

Chorad seems to be standing near the center of the mass, very close to the strange crystal. He is frowning, thoughtfully, but appears to be as enthralled as the rest.

Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

At first glance, it looks like a dragonshard, but by your recollection, no single dragonshard has this appearance. The outer layer itself looks like a Khyber shard -- used to make items that bind spirits. The inner seems to be an Eberron shard -- used to power magical items. And the glow around the shard is that of Siberys shards -- those used to augment the power of those who wield them.

If a construction, this item is meant to have significant power. If a natural formation, it is nothing you have ever heard of before.

A flickering mental touch sweeps through the three new arrivals. There seems to be no actual probe or hostile thrust, but it is disconcerting.

Niev
    Spoiler
    Show

A voice speaks into your mind. finally!

The word seems to be in Common, but the touch and the word fades as soon as you hear it.

The song twists into a natural climax and dies, slowly, leaving only the echoing chords in one's mind.
    Drew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Niev's eyes narrow as she stares at the crystal. A conscious entity? She turns to Mari, not quite ready to address whatever it might be directly. "Did you hear that voice as well? I could try establishing a mindlink with... whatever it is, but it would be nice to have a better idea of what it might be, first."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #50

"I didn't hear a voice - Niev, that's a dragonshard. Sort of. A very weird one. Nothing I've ever heard of. …And they're not sentient. I have to see this closer…" Mari steps forward towards the shard, angling to pick it up.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Niev follows along, glancing around the room. "I heard a voice say 'finally,' just before the song ended. If it's not from the shard itself, could there be something bound in it? I'm not sure touching it would be a good idea, if so."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Listen to Mari, Niev.

Laking focuses his awareness on the crystal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifesting detect hostile intent.

23. - Top - End - #53

AssassinGuy

The crystal appears unresponsive as the people approach. With the end of the song, the miners seem to be slowly drifting out of their dazes.

Laskin
    Spoiler
    Show

When Laskin focuses on the crystal, however, he senses an empty void in space. It seems an impossible result, as the power picks up on every sparking of anger, hatred, and violence in a thinking creature's mind, enough to register the moment a creature's idle thoughts turn to violence.

As per the power's description, you can attempt to Sense Motive against the apparently inanimate crystal as a free action.
    Drew

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Niev shoots Laskin an annoyed glance. "I am listening. Why do you think I'm asking questions?" She stops awkwardly as she realizes her voice had come out at normal volume, and was clearly audible in the now-quiet cavern.

Her gaze is drawn swiftly back to the shard as they reach it, barely noticing the miners. "It must have stopped for a reason," she murmurs. "The timing was too close to be coincidence."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #55

"Maybe it wanted everyone in here… anyone got a piece of cloth, or something?" Mari bends down to it, not quite touching, peering deeper into it.

26. - Top - End - #56

AssassinGuy

As close as Mari is, the colors are more distinct, the clear lines of midnight blue and blood red sharply distinct.

Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

Make a Spot check.

Chorad approaches Laskin. His contemplative look is gone, and he looks annoyed, the sort of expression that can mean he is impatient, annoyed, worried, or confused.

"I don't suppose you lot have an explanation for this," he grumbles. "Some idiot dug up the rock and stuck it in here to show everyone. I guess this was a good place to echo, because soon everyone heard it, and dragged me down here to listen."
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2010-07-30 at 04:33 PM.
    Drew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Niev unclasps her cloak and drapes it around Mari's shoulders. "Here. If you want to get a better look at it, at least this has a little protection in the fabric." She watches the shard uneasily, unable to remove her gaze from it for long. "Do you think it's possible that there is something trapped in there? I'm tempted to try linking to it, but if it was some sort of demon, that could be as risky as touching it physically."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #58

"Thanks. I don't know - there's no documented instances of such that I remember. I wish I had a library…better not to link to it, though. Might try to hypnotize you again." With the cloak covering her hand, Mari picks up the rock. "I don't see anything else - you?" She holds it up to Niev.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Niev gazes deeper into the stone, then after a minute shakes her head. "A beautiful crystal, but I don't see anything new. I wonder where those visions it showed us came from... someone's recorded impressions, or just constructs?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #60

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Wisdom check.

The crystal appears to have been unreactive through this entire exchange. However, shortly after the stone is removed from its base, a faint, real sound carries through the cavern.

The noise is faint, but just loud enough to be heard, as it was designed to be.

You see, it is the alarm for the city of Rasht'dajath.

There are three patterns for the warning bells: one to recall the city's inhabitants to its center, one to warn them of a need to return -- albeit cautiously -- to defend, and one to tell them to flee the city in expectation of its fall.

This is the second pattern, a sign of an assault, albeit one you could have some hope of repelling.

So probably not an illithid invasion.
    Drew