New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Redoubt

1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Last Redoubt

Niev jerks back from the stone as the alarm sounds, her face twisting into an expression of concern and more than a little guilt. "Nn, we have to get out of here. Put the stone in the lower-right pocket, it's empty." She looks over at Chorad. "I suppose we'll get back a lot faster with one of them guiding us, though."

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom: (1d20+2)[13]
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mari nods, putting the stone away and handing the cloak back to Niev. "We'll all go back together. You want to guard the front or the rear?" She pauses, and swallows. "That thing we thought we heard at the entrance…do you think…"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Niev cringes as Mari puts her thoughts into words, wrapping the cloak around herself. "I'd like to think not, but, well...." She shakes her head, once, trying to focus on the present situation. "We should guard the front. Whatever the trouble is, we're heading to meet it, right?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

With little urging from Chorad, the miners do gather quietly behind the three guards, as if ready to follow their lead. Chorad glances at them, and then at the twisting tunnels away from the central chamber.

"We might want to get back quickly. You know we're always warned about drills..."

The ringing trails off. You doubt it means the danger is over, and even if it does, leaving the village undefended so shortly after an emergency seems wrong.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Niev nods, heading for the exit. "Let's go, then. Stay behind us and tell us the fastest way out of here."

The barest flicker of energy touches her limbs as they exit the cavern, preparation for the powers that will soon be needed. "Well, I've no idea what we're running into, but as long as we stay close we'll get through it," she murmurs, although whether the statement is meant for Mari's benefit or her own is unclear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #66

AssassinGuy

Chorad helps you navigate the twisting paths of the mines with apparent ease, while the city itself continues to broadcast eerie silence. The crystal performs no further apparent effects, and as near as you can tell, you are not followed by anything.

As you draw close to the outer buildings of Rasht'dajath, however, you can hear indistinct noises, those of voices.

You think you might recognize Qushtathmelk's voice, but the other is unfamiliar. Something else is odd, however.

And after a moment, you realize it. A shaft of golden light pierces the ceiling of the great cavern, illuminating the city center. You're not entirely certain what it signifies.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (nature). (It's DC 10, so Int check otherwise)
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

7. - Top - End - #67

"That's not sunlight, is it?" Mari hisses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge:Nature(1d20+6)[21]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Niev's stare flicks between Mari and the light, and she lets out a slow breath. "Is that even possible? I mean, we weren't..."

She tilts her head after a moment, listening to the voices. "Do you think we should let the crystal scout? I mean, it doesn't sound like an invasion, but that doesn't mean much."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #69

"Seems like we should be cautious." The psicrystal skitters down Mari's arm and leg, setting off for the voices.

10. - Top - End - #70

AssassinGuy

Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

The psicrystal sends back a running commentary as it scouts forward; most of the city's inhabitants seem to have migrated to the center of town, in an eerie similarity to the crystal's summoning power.

This, however, seems to have a much more mundane source, as four crystalline constructs twice the height of a human stand at the edges of the central square, protecting a conflict that seems to cinsist of Qushtathmelk arguing with a tall, attractive humanoid female.

(1d20+4)[17]
    (1d20+6)[25]

The psicrystal reports back that she is human, although it's unclear what brought her to Rashtdajath.

"I told you already," Qush' growls, "I don't know what you're talking about. No one in this city's left in close to a century."

The woman sighs and retorts, And I didn't ask if any of your people were skulking about making trouble. I asked where the Khorvaire spies are hidden."

All this is reported to you through your empathic link (note that you don't actually see or hear any of this, but have it relayed).
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2010-08-08 at 04:30 PM.
    Drew

11. - Top - End - #71

"…There's a woman there. In the center of the city. She seems to think Qushtathmelk's hiding spies. From Khorvaire, of all places. The spies, I mean. Everyone's going towards the central square."

12. - Top - End - #72

AssassinGuy

Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

The psicrystal inquires if it is to return or remain to watch the exchange.
    Drew

13. - Top - End - #73

Spoiler
    Show
    Stay there, for now.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah... correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that sound rather ridiculous?" Niev shakes her head, although it does nothing to help her make sense of the situation. "I mean, you know more about this sort of thing than I, but I can't see any spies choosing Rasht' of all places to hide in. And when was the last time anyone from outside showed up here? How'd she even find the place?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #75

Mari shakes her head. "No - I mean, yes, it is ridiculous. I'm honestly more worried about the giant hole in the rock up there."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, that... could be a problem. Although it doesn't make any more sense than the other. What could possibly have happened to let light this far down? Provided it's real, and not some illusion..." Niev sighs, squinting at the light. "Maybe we should just stay here and listen for a little while?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #77

AssassinGuy

Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

The psicrystal seems...on edge. It relates a continued portion of the conversation. The woman edges closer, and Qush' seems to quail in the face of her anger.

"I am not a patient person, Qushtathmelk. You should remember that. And I was against this little preserve anyway. If you give me a reason-"

"What sort of spies would be here anyway?" Qush demands frantically.

"Why, the sort looking for you," the intruder says.

Make a Knowledge (psionics) roll.

Dreamcatcher
    Spoiler
    Show

The night was too confusing for you. Warforged need not sleep and should not dream. You have found ways to...trance, you suppose, which at times allows you the same frustration and confusion found among those who dream naturally.

Luckily, you never have to put up with a full eight hours of that.

But the night revealed worrying visions. A pit of shadows enveloping Rasht'dajath, and a blinding light ensconcing the world beyond it. A small patch of ordinary lighting, where the light and darkness mixed, had sat at the very edge of the village.

It had seemed very simple in the morning, when you decided to spend your day lurking near the twilit area, rather than the ones that would be overwhelmed by light or darkness.

The intruders came as only a mild surprise; discretion seemed the better part of valor. After all, one rarely made the difference in confrontations of this type. You were carefully hidden in a storage shed when a number of villagers -- miners, you recalled -- approached the town. And with them were two other of the village's talented people, including a twin-souled kalashtar.
    Drew

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

From his hiding place on the edge of the village, Dreamcatcher looked at the shaft of light over the town and the darkness surrounding it- the exact opposite of his vision. Where was truth? In his eyes or his dreams? Where should he go, to stand on the path to light, facing the darkness?

Because suddenly, he remembered that was where he wanted to stand. "Cowardice," said the warforged, in a soft bass monotone that rustles with beads and feathers, "A subtle one. I shall remember it."

And with that, he goes to join the group headed towards the village. "Sister, Dreamer," he said with a respectful nod at Niev and Mari respectively. "I believe we will be needed, although I do not know why and I am not sure where."

"This is perhaps not very helpful,"
    he adds, in his usual artificial deadpan.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2010-08-12 at 09:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Mari blinked. "Um. Well. No, not, not really…I'm sorry, do I know you?" She's a bit distracted, obviously, staring not quite at his face. "She knows him. She - was against Rasht?"

Spoiler
    Show
    K:Psi(1d20+11)[26]

20. - Top - End - #80

AssassinGuy

Niev, Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

Dreamcatcher isn't seen much in the village, so his appearance is certainly unusual. Qush', as well as some other elders, are wary of him, while a number of people turn to him for aid in deciphering what the future holds for them.

He is one of the three or for eldest creatures in the village, warforged having a warantee extendening beyond the normal human (or kalashtar) lifespan.

Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

The woman is suggesting she was present during the Lightning Strike, nearly a century before. She cannot possibly be that old -- unless it is only her memories that were present at the Strike, and not her body.

That suggests that she could be a kalashtar.

The realization takes several moments, because for all that they dominate the nightmares of the people of Rasht'dajath, no one has seen one in close to a century.

Because the other creature the intruder could be is an Inspired, agent and host to the Quori of the Dreaming Dark.
    Drew

21. - Top - End - #81

"…She might be a kalashtar, to be so old. She might be - " Mari flaps her hand " - something else. You know. I think - think we should, go. There. Or. I don't know."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Niev manages an aside nod to the warforged, with a murmured greeting of "Seer." The look of concern on her face is plain as she listens to Mari, however, and she doesn't answer him immediately.

"Alright, I'll trust you. If it is... yes, we probably should." Niev offers her hand. "You alright? Try to keep listening if you can." She glances at Dreamcatcher. "Needed, hm? Well, everyone else is headed over there. Let's try and stay inconspicuous, though, however that'll work."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"Scornful doubt," Dreamcatcher remarks, after a moment's reflection. "It is a good idea, but I suspect that my presence will make that difficult- and also I apologize if I have unsettled you, Dreamer. Nevertheless, I would like to see what is going on with my own eyes."

"I shall go ahead, feel free to follow at whatever distance you feel necessary."

24. - Top - End - #84

AssassinGuy

"We won't follow you that far," Chorad growls. "Something else it may be, and that's enough for us to stay away"

The buildings of the city are irregularly-spaced, with fairly wide paths between them. If one makes an effort, one could move fairly invisibly among them. Of course, one could also make an effort convincing the miners to join along.
    Drew

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Niev frowns slightly, remembering the still-unidentified noise they'd heard earlier. "Yes, we're only going to find out what's happening, for now... Laskin, perhaps you should stay with them? We can stay out of mind more easily as two, anyway."

She looks over at the city as she waits for Dreamcatcher to get a short distance ahead, trying to remember the locations she uses for avoiding attention without seeming to be hiding. "All we have to do is stay out of sight of the centre... we don't want to look like we're sneaking around..." she mumbles as she attempts to put a mental map together.

"Alright." She nods to Mari as Dreamcatcher rounds the first corner. "Shall we?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #86

"Let's." Mari walks relatively quickly, slowing down as they reach the crowd near the argument.

27. - Top - End - #87

AssassinGuy

As you draw closer to the center of town, it becomes unnecessary for the psicrystal to convey the tone of events, as the woman's and Qush's voices are raised in heated argument.

"We have let your little village flourish because you pose no threat to us! If you harbor those who believe you will lead them in rebellion against us..."

Qush sighs, a weak, defeated sound. "There is nothing here to find. We have seen no visitors to this village in close to a century. And even so, what frightens you about a few kalashtar?"

There is a dangerous growl from the woman. "Twelve of you yet live in this village," she says quietly. "That is more than a few, and it is enough to be concerned about, if rabble-rousers attempt to arouse their ire. So you will let us search for these intruders, and in return, we will allow you...peace."
    Drew

28. - Top - End - #88

"…One wonders," Mari mutters mostly to herself, "why, when attempting to not, ah, rouse the population, one would not do so in such a spectacular and disruptive manner."

The psicrystal clicks quietly towards her, and she picks it up gently, settling it on her shoulder.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

"And one that would so obviously alert any of these supposed Khorvairan spies," murmurs Niev, shaking her head. "Unless she has the whole place surrounded to catch anyone that tries to run. And given that we came in one way, that seems unlikely - although not impossible. So, the question is..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamcatcher makes his way carefully through the crowd, keeping his eyes on the intruders- and his more metaphysical senses besides.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dreamcatcher uses Detect Spirits, scanning the intruders first, and then a random sampling of the crowd.

Is there anyone present that Dreamcatcher knows is a Kalashtar? He enjoys talking with them when he can, and has lived here for a long time...